04. Dues for the Dead

load previous
Nov 12, 2023 8:57 am
Vess steps up with her shadowblande covered in blue flame and striks down on the third ghoul. The blue flame carries over to the first ghoul aswell
OOC:
Move to CM16
Action: Greenflame blade attack with shadowblade
Ghoul3: AC 22 psychic dam 7
Ghoul1: 3 fire damage
[ +- ] Map
OOC:
I know that the greenflame spell should produce a flame with the green colour, but as Vess is an Eladrin, that can change the season, then I will have as much as possible reflect her current winter season. Another reason for using Heroforge to make the avatar. I can change the colour theme with ease. :)
Last edited November 12, 2023 9:01 am

Rolls

Shadowblade /greenflame (advantage) - Attack @ghoul3 - (2d20H1+6)

(1616) + 6 = 22

Shadowblade - Damage - (2d8+4)

(21) + 4 = 7

Nov 12, 2023 10:47 am
OOC:
5 minutes ago:
Welcome back, Pierce!

Then:
MaJunior says:
Pierce slumps to his knees, the metal ringing on the floor.
Oh... Pierce? =(
Nov 12, 2023 6:36 pm
Aramil, the ghoul pushes away your initial attack, but you use you left hand to stab it through the side of its abdomen and with a burst of adrenaline, you stab it straight through its decomposing heart with your right.
OOC:
Ghoul 1 is no more
Chitkree, you feel your body seize up as you see your fallen comrade Pierce convulse on the ground.
OOC:
Oof, bad luck Pierce. Chitkree, you can give me another saving throw to see if you come out of it
Zrukz, this time you manage to squeeze past the pit and you sprint forward in an attempt to help the rest of the party

Vess, you slash the ghoul in a streak of icey blue fire and it looks like it is barely clinging to whatever cursed life it has.
OOC:
Augustine is last to act. Ghoul 2 is unhurt and 3 is almost dead
[ +- ] Map
Nov 12, 2023 7:14 pm
Struggles to regain control of his body so he can move to heal Pierce
OOC:
not sure if healing is now or next round but the action is the same either way
Last edited November 12, 2023 7:16 pm

Rolls

Con - Save - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

cure woun - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Nov 12, 2023 7:20 pm
Two down and nearly another, Augustine readies himself to attack again but his concentration is broken by the clang of Pierce's fall. Instead of attacking, he stows his sword and raises his shield towards the ghoul in front of him. "Lathander's light repel you!" A glowing light radiates from the shield, increasing its protective range.
OOC:
Shield of Faith for +2 AC.
Augustine then moves backwards towards Pierce's downed form and kneels beside him and lays a healing hand upon him. "I won't let your search end here."
OOC:
Lay on Hands for 10 points.
Last edited November 12, 2023 7:20 pm
Nov 12, 2023 8:07 pm
OOC:
I read it as you take the attack of opportunity, Augustine.
Augustine , a bright light extends between you and the ghoul as it feebly tries to claw at you. You then stride over a quickly bring Pierce back to life.
OOC:
Chitkree, you won’t get an action this round, but with Pierce back up I assume you’d like to change your action for the next.
The ghoul that looks close to death seems to have very little fight left in it as Chitkree easily defends against its attacks. But the other one stabs its claws into Aramil’s chest and bites deeply into his neck.
OOC:
New round. Aramil please give me a DC 10 constitution saving throw. Usual drill.

Rolls

Ghoul Vs Augustine (AC 20) - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Ghoul 3 Vs Chitkree (AC 20) - (1d20+2, 1d20+4)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Ghoul 2 Vs Aramil (AC 16) - (1d20+2, 1d20+4)

1d20+2 : (14) + 2 = 16

1d20+4 : (20) + 4 = 24

Damage to Aramil - (2d6, 4d4+4)

2d6 : (34) = 7

4d4+4 : (3231) + 4 = 13

Nov 12, 2023 8:37 pm
Taking a deep breath, Aramil tries to shove and hit the Ghoul that attacked him.
OOC:
Instead of double attack, will use Second Wind. Or can I do that as well? Fell free to ignore the off hand if I have only one bonus action.
[ +- ] Second Wind
Last edited November 12, 2023 8:49 pm

Rolls

Constitution save DC10 - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Shortsword (Main hand) to hit - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Second Wind - (1d10+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Shortsword (off hand) to hit - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Nov 12, 2023 9:19 pm
OOC:
You can only do one of them. The offhand attack is a bonus action in itself.
Aramil, perhaps it’s due to the pain or the slight bit of panic from the ghoul’s vicious attack, but you fail to retaliate with a hit of your own
Nov 12, 2023 11:03 pm
Chitkree moves to attack any standing Ghoul

Rolls

Shortsword - ghoul - (1d20+7, 1d6+5, OH:1d20+7, OH:1d6, sneakattack:1d6)

1d20+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

1d6+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

OH:1d20+7 : (15) + 7 = 22

OH:1d6 : (5) = 5

sneakattack:1d6 : (3) = 3

Nov 13, 2023 7:56 am
OOC:
Assume there is exactly 30 feet left till corner. Assuming Pierce still holds lantern if ghouls have darkvision of 60 I believe have advantage as they don't see me, but will to stealth check as Bonus Action just in case I am wrong about it
Zrukz finally reach corner peak around and cast chill touch on closes Ghoul

Rolls

Chill Touch to hit (advantage) - (2d20H1+5)

(612) + 5 = 17

Chill Touch damage - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Nov 13, 2023 9:26 am
Vess hits another ghoul
OOC:
g3 if it still stands, otherwise she will move to CN13 and attack g2

Rolls

Shadowblade (advantage) - Attack - (2d20H1+6)

(1817) + 6 = 24

Shadowblade - Damage - (2d8+4)

(17) + 4 = 12

Nov 13, 2023 12:55 pm
Chitkree, knowing full well the danger of becoming paralysed by one of these creatures, you swiftly dispose of the very hurt ghoul in front of you in order to limit the danger to one last ghoul standing.
OOC:
Ghoul 3 is a goner. Zrukz, you're unseen and the ghoul is not, so I'd agree with your interpretation
All of a sudden, a ghostly skeletal hand soars out from the darkness and it grabs the ghoul by the throat where it leaves a black mark. As it furiously tries to understand where the attack came from, Vess, slashes her burning blade across the ghouls chest. It has gone from being unhurt to being extremely close to death.
OOC:
Pierce & Augustine are left I believe
Nov 13, 2023 1:57 pm
Steadying himself on one knee, Pierce shakes his head and again tries to focus his gem on the last ghoul.

Rolls

Attack (Lightning Launcher) - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Damage (Lightning) - (2d6+4)

(64) + 4 = 14

Nov 13, 2023 4:24 pm
In a moment of catharsis, Pierce absolute roasts the last ghoul with a blast of lightning and the threat for now is over.
OOC:
End of combat
Nov 13, 2023 5:26 pm
Hurt and tired, Aramil looks around to see how the group is doing. He also tries to find out if there is anything in the room that will help them understand where the Ghouls came from or why they were created.

"Is everybody okay? Should we retreat and take a short rest?"
Last edited November 13, 2023 5:27 pm
Nov 13, 2023 7:32 pm
A rest would be a good idea. I can heal those in need but if we are resting I will wait to see who is in need after that.

For now I suggest we ensure this area is clear and check for any possible information

Chitkree bedroom searching the area for hidden doors and traces of people visitors.

Rolls

Survival, tracks on the dust etc - (1d20+3+1d4)

(14) + (4) + 3 = 21

Perception hidden doors - (1d20+4+1d4)

(18) + (4) + 4 = 26

Tikcha Perception (scent advantage ) - (2d20H1+5)

(420) + 5 = 25

Nov 14, 2023 6:34 am
We did it! Yet another glorious victory over undead! Zrukz approach crying in a high voice for Cassyt to hear.
"Yes we deserve a rest, perhaps Cassyt could bring us some tea?"
Nov 14, 2023 11:17 am
"Perhaps we can take our tea away from the bodies?" Augustine glances over the scene around him. "I don't think we should leave these tombs quite yet, but I wouldn't mind a breather on the other side of the door to this room."
Nov 14, 2023 12:19 pm
"My thanks, Augustine. And I concur... a rest is in order. We do not know what else we may face here, best to be as ready as possible," Pierce says, agreeing with the general consensus.
Nov 14, 2023 12:43 pm
Before you walk back, you take a look at the scene with Chitkree especially taking a lead. You see tracks from a small group of humans in the dirt on the ground, tracks that you presume are from the contingent led by the Doomguide to investigate. You also see tracks from the ghouls leading back to the other side of the door and neither set of tracks are particularly old, you estimate that the ghoul tracks are just slightly fresher. The ghoul tracks lead further into the catacombs and you guess that they had perhaps grown bolder by the lack of activity in the upper catacombs after the doors were locked shut. Cassyt is thrilled to see you all return and listen to the story of your fight with rapt attention and a good deal of concern. "I just don't understand where these ghouls come from. We haven't had any issues with undead for a long, long time".

You carefully maneuver past the bone pit and back out to the passage. Looking ahead, you see that the passage descends by shallow stone steps to a 15-foot by 15-foot square room. Wooden stairs wind around the walls of the shaft down into the darkness. The stairs look as though they are ancient, and the wood rotted and weak.
They wind around a tall statue of a strange, four-armed humanoid with vaguely insectoid features. It clutches a scroll in one hand, a quill in a second, a skull in a third, while the fourth is empty. Before descending, you decide to take a small break.
OOC:
You can take a short rest and use hit die/recover whatever abilities gets recharged on one of those. If you need extra healing, Cassyt also has three 1st level spell slots and the ability to cast Cure Wounds.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.