Session Zero

load previous
Nov 14, 2023 10:54 am
That's fine @RageRed - once everyone has their sheets ready, we'll do a quick introduction of the charactrers so people can pick their Personal Directives and Connections, and you can add details to the apperance then.

The tagline's not so important - by it, I meant the bit of text under the title of the playbook. For The Gifted it's "Your mind has special abilities that set you apart from everyone else on the crew".
Nov 14, 2023 8:33 pm
In case you prefer keeping your Character Sheet in a Google Doc rather than here on GamersPlane I just put together this 'generic' i.e. Playbook-independent Google Doc. Make a copy in your Google Drive and then you can edit that as you need.

I'm also running a voice/video game of Starscape and one of the players there is new to TTRPGs - for his The Greenhorn character I also made this The Greenhorn Playbook-specific Google Doc in case that's useful for you
Nov 14, 2023 9:10 pm
Thanks @RageRed - looks good. Your sheet made me think of the Henry Fonda/Terrence Hill film "My Name Is Nobody" :)
Nov 14, 2023 10:15 pm
Great @RageRed. Only things to add are

1. answer to the Playbook-specific Backstory question "You pay a steep price for your fantastic gifts. What is that price and how does it interfere with how you relate to your crewmates?"

2. For "Look" there are suggested descriptors at in the "Character" box at the top of the first page of the Playbook. I'd be guessing you'd go for "Feminine", "Ornamented/Tatooed Skin". Then for personality one or more of the suggested words (Ethereal, Naive, Erratic, Reliable, Unnerving, Charming) or other ones you might prefer. And then a description for clothing/outfit (suggestions are Flowing, Official, Second-Hand, Flattering, Traditional or you could choose something else.)
Nov 14, 2023 10:58 pm
Here's Gloop (not his actual name, but one that's easy for humans to pronounce)
https://i.imgur.com/phZYWr6.jpg
Nov 15, 2023 7:22 am
The hat is a nice touch. Yee-HA!
Nov 15, 2023 7:33 am
First time GMing here - would appreciate your advice on what to do next.

Once everyone has their Character Sheets ready, I was thinking of asking each of you to introduce your character, with a picture and a short text. If so, better to just drop those here, or would you add a Forum Thread e.g. "Character Creation"?

But maybe that's unnecessary if everyone has their Character Sheet set to Public?

Once we can see everyone's character, next step will be to do Connections - hm, which we could discuss in the "Character Creation" thread?

Anyway, your reccomendations on how to do this bit based on your experience on the site are much appreciated.
Nov 15, 2023 8:55 am
Either way works. :) I don't see much difference, as that's still Session Zero, so let me post it here.

My first connection is related to somebody's attitude towards authority. @JoshuaMabry how does Carnon feels about that? Does he have a favorable attitude towards authority, valuing order, control, and strict obedience to established rules and leaders. The opposite - defiance of rules, and a desire for individual freedom? Some middle ground?

You can answer that and then ask timplausible something?
Last edited November 15, 2023 8:58 am
Nov 15, 2023 2:29 pm
BeardHare says:
The hat is a nice touch. Yee-HA!
I can't take credit for the art, but the hat fits great because Gloop is fascinated by human clothes, so I imagine he frequently wears different hats.
Nov 15, 2023 2:38 pm
I'm getting Honey Heist vibes here #BearsInHats
Nov 16, 2023 4:45 am
Nice, @RageRed, thanks - looking good.

@timplausible @JoshuaMabry @htech please add either full info as @RageRed did there about her character in "The Crew/Characters" thread , or if you prefer a shorter text and image for us to have as a reference.
Nov 16, 2023 11:06 am
htech says:
My first connection is related to somebody's attitude towards authority. @JoshuaMabry how does Carnon feels about that? Does he have a favorable attitude towards authority, valuing order, control, and strict obedience to established rules and leaders. The opposite - defiance of rules, and a desire for individual freedom? Some middle ground?
All right, finally getting some time to work on this. I've made some changes. My warrior is now a human named Hank "The Tank" Harper. He's a broken down and bitter old mercenary with a well hidden heart of gold. @htech He has a strong distrust for authority, having worked with too many incompetent officers in his time. This attitude frequently got him in trouble with the guards of the prison.
Nov 16, 2023 11:11 am
@timplausible Gloop knows about a shameful defeat from my past. What happened?
Nov 16, 2023 11:22 am
JoshuaMabry says:
He has a strong distrust for authority, having worked with too many incompetent officers in his time. This attitude frequently got him in trouble with the guards of the prison.
Great! I think that's good for crew morale (+1 Trust), as we are a bunch of renegades, fugitives and misfits. So @BeardHare does that gives +1 Trust to Hank, John or to both? I didn't understand how that works.
Nov 16, 2023 12:37 pm
Hank sounds like the kinda person you want on your team, @JoshuaMabry #MuscleArmEmoji

For the Trust linked to Connections - it's easiest to wait until everyone has filled in their answers to all their three Connection questions. Once I can see those, I can let you know what happens to your Trust scores.

(when you fill in an answer with a PC's name, and that Connection statement indicates +1 Trust, then the PC whose name you filled in gets +1 Trust - once everyone has filled their Connections in, we'll check how many +/- values each person got and add that total (one + cancels out one -) to that person's trust score.
Nov 16, 2023 12:40 pm
We could try each of you posting your three Connections filled-in with names in one post, and then check in with each other if you are OK with how the others have indicated their trust to you?
Nov 16, 2023 3:07 pm
BeardHare says:
We could try each of you posting your three Connections filled-in with names in one post, and then check in with each other if you are OK with how the others have indicated their trust to you?
Ok! I think we need to see the complete character thread and also discuss the questions, though. I don't know how to fill them.

It's very easy and fast to that in the table, but PbP is asynchronous, it will take a couple of days here. ;)
Last edited November 16, 2023 3:22 pm
Nov 16, 2023 3:21 pm
For example, I need to choose somebody to hang out on occasion and somebody else to have done things that I don't approve, although they had no idea that I was there.

Anybody has a suggestion?
Nov 16, 2023 3:28 pm
Sounds good - yes, I agree, this works best when we can see everyone's character in the Crew/Character thread and be inspired by what we see there.

I could also look at the character sheets/descriptions once they're up and make my own suggestions for which PC names to include in which Connections, based on what I read? You could then use that set of suggestions as a basis for discussion? Maybe that would speed things up, although it takes a bit of agency from the players?
Nov 16, 2023 3:32 pm
I like the idea of a suggestion for the connections, adapting the rules for a faster PbP experience.

I don't feel like it takes player agency as that's just a suggestion and we should be able to talk about and change it ;)
load next

Thread locked