[Interest check] Homebrew Settlement Manager

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

OpenHomebrewPublic2 / weekNatbob
https://legendary-digital-network-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/geekandsundry/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/CouncilOfFour.jpg

THE VENDELI COUNCIL

The glory days of Keldrim seem now almost akin to ancient legends. Indeed, even the fall of that wretched empire is but an elder's tale. The civil war was bloody and brutal, and they say that the capital is now nothing more than ash and ruin. Freed from tyranny, the people of the fallen kingdom now find themselves adrift...or perhaps, free.

Whilst many fled to other lands, some of the old clans chose independence. They bowed not to a monarch or lord but heeded only the words of their own people. Some were conquered by upstart lords, eager to fill the power vacuum and raise a new empire. Some were assimilated into neighbouring kingdoms hungry for more land, either forcefully or willingly. And some yet still retain their independence. What will be the fate of these people? Will they enjoy free lives governed by their own kin, will they be crushed under the yoke of yet another tyrant, or will they rise to become one of the great powers of the world?
Vendel is a small town that has claimed independence following the collapse of its governing empire. There is hope and optimism amongst its people, but there is fear and uncertainty also. You have the great honour of being elected to the position of council representative, chosen to lead the people and provide guidance in all matters. You speak on behalf of the growing city-state, and the citizens expect you to provide protection, prosperity and happiness.

'The Vendeli Council' is a homebrew system that emphasises roleplaying and decision-making. Gameplay will revolve around politicking and problem-solving to try and find the best solution to the issues that the settlement faces. Inspired by games such as "King of Dragon Pass", it also focuses on settlement and resource management, with a specific order of actions and events. You will need to work together to make sure that the settlement doesn't just survive, but thrives.

Jan 16, 2024 6:21 pm
Hi all,

I've been really inspired to write a homebrew system for a game based on managing a settlement - this might be incredibly esoteric so I'd like to gauge interest.

The main inspiration for the system is an old PC game called King of Dragon Pass, so if you've ever played that you know what sort of game I'm going for. The basic idea is: the players would be members of a council, working to govern a settlement, make decisions and guide its people. Parts of the game would be quite 'board game-like', with resource points and a specific turn order, but this would be driven by TTRPG mechanics including skill checks and good ol' fashioned roleplaying, plus plenty of imagination and creativity!

This wouldn't be a combat-heavy number-crunching game but a resource management politicking sort of game. Though there are mechanics in place to govern how gameplay functions, I like to think its flexible enough for it to be moulded and shaped as it's played, to create a world and game that's made by both the GM and the players.

Basically I was looking to combine my love of city building games with my love of storytelling! I was thinking maybe around 5-6 players but not sure of exact numbers - if anyone is interested, let me know!
Jan 16, 2024 6:25 pm
May be interested in giving it a try! Though if several others are interested got quite a few games atm so happy to give them a space first
Jan 16, 2024 6:30 pm
Unfortunately I am at my limit for games, but if you can make it public I will read along.
Jan 16, 2024 6:31 pm
Sounds like a really fun idea and if I had more free space at the moment, I would definitely apply! Have fun with it!
Jan 16, 2024 6:49 pm
Not to take away from your desire to homebrew, since I respect the commitment and dedication, but in case you hadn't heard of them / considered them, have you looked into Microscope or Kingdom for this kind of thing?
Jan 16, 2024 6:58 pm
Tickettbror says:
Not to take away from your desire to homebrew, since I respect the commitment and dedication, but in case you hadn't heard of them / considered them, have you looked into Microscope or Kingdom for this kind of thing?
I've played Microscope a fair bit. I love it to pieces, but I was hoping for a more linear sequence of time with a bit of dice-rolling and resource management. I've not played Kingdom, though - if this fits the bill for Kingdom I'd be all up for looking into it
Jan 16, 2024 7:04 pm
I've played a game of Kingdom on here before. It was very fun, but based on your description, I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for. Definitely take a look at it to crib ideas at the least, if you feel like it. But making your own thing sounds like a fun challenge and a decent way to get exactly what you want.
Jan 16, 2024 7:16 pm
Natbob says:
I was hoping for a more linear sequence of time with a bit of dice-rolling and resource management.
This seems like a good description of Wrath of the Autarch. It's a "Fate meets Heroes of Might and Magic" kind of rpg.
Jan 16, 2024 7:24 pm
I'm in the process of catching up with my games right now and don't want to over-commit, but I love the idea a lot! Depending on when you start and what the posting rate is going to be, I might join you. c:
Jan 17, 2024 6:36 pm
Wow, this sounds super interesting. I would love to try it out.
Jan 17, 2024 7:27 pm
I'm interested. I've played and enjoyed King of Dragon Pass. It is a lot of fun. The idea of combining a strategy game with rpg sounds intriguing, so Im willing to try it out.

By the way, King of Dragon Pass is available as an Android app for anyone interested.
Jan 18, 2024 6:31 pm
Thanks all for the feedback, and it looks like some folks are interested! I'm currently hammering out a few details so this probably won't be forthcoming until a week or two, but if I can get something together I'll update this thread and create a game.

Post rate would probably be quite low, partly because my free time fluctuates a bit and partly because it seems most people are pretty busy at the moment!
Jan 19, 2024 10:33 pm
I'm interested! I've been looking to play/run something like this for a while now.
Jan 26, 2024 11:10 am
I've polished off the final few details I wanted to add and created a game - if you're interested, check it out here!
Last edited January 26, 2024 5:09 pm
Jan 26, 2024 11:19 am
Your definition of a low posting rate is my definition of a fast posting rate. :'D Afraid this is beyond my capabilities, so I'll bow out. But good luck with the game, hope it goes great!
Jan 26, 2024 11:22 am
Do you have any preview / partial version of the game rules?
Jan 26, 2024 2:49 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
Your definition of a low posting rate is my definition of a fast posting rate. :'D Afraid this is beyond my capabilities, so I'll bow out. But good luck with the game, hope it goes great!
Aha apologies! Though to clarify, my intention was to have someone post each day (ish), not to have everyone post once a day (ish). Sorry if that caused any confusion, I must confess it's been a while since I did PBP and I may be a bit rusty!
htech says:
Do you have any preview / partial version of the game rules?
I've put together a google docs for the rules, which can be found here:
The Vendeli Council
I hope these make sense! I will happily accept feedback, and am happy to make tweaks or adjustments.
Jan 26, 2024 3:22 pm
Quote:
I've put together a google docs for the rules, which can be found here
Thanks for the link. Seems like a very well thought game, with an interesting lore and good overall rules. =)
Quote:
Aha apologies! Though to clarify, my intention was to have someone post each day (ish), not to have everyone post once a day (ish).
It's hard to synchronize or expect people to post in order, so the GMs usually state an expectation between the same player posts. =)

If someone posts on Monday what are your expectations for his next availability to post, regardless of the group? Tuesday would be daily, Thursday would be 2/3 times a week and just the next Monday would be weekly.
Last edited January 26, 2024 3:40 pm
Jan 26, 2024 4:23 pm
Quote:
It's hard to synchronize or expect people to post in order, so the GMs usually state an expectation between the same player posts. =)

If someone posts on Monday what are your expectations for his next availability to post, regardless of the group? Tuesday would be daily, Thursday would be 2/3 times a week and just the next Monday would be weekly.
Oh whoops, I got that a bit wrong then! In that case I was thinking a post frequency of around 1/2 per week, I'll update the game now. Sorry about that! :'D
Jan 26, 2024 4:56 pm
Thanks! In that case, I am interested in giving it a try, if you still have a spot left. Though if several others are interested I got quite a few games atm so happy to give them a space first.

Either way, I still plan to read it, so thanks for making it public =)
Last edited January 27, 2024 12:25 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.