Chapter 4A: Traitors in our midst

load previous
Feb 13, 2024 4:44 pm
The weight of Slaine's words hung heavy in the air as the gravity of the situation became undeniable. Hank, stationed nearby, remained vigilant, his gaze fixed on "Ryan" as he monitored the unfolding confrontation.

As Slaine stepped into the room, Hank's eyes briefly flickered to Erin, who stood nearby.

"Apparently, Ryan is a wanted fugitive," Hank explained tersely. "Would you please come over here and help me guard the door to prevent him from fleeing? Weapons are welcome; I'm currently unarmed."

Erin, though unarmed, nodded in understanding, her determination matching that of her fellow crew members. Together, they formed a united front, ready to confront whatever challenges lay ahead.

Meanwhile, "Ryan" remained composed, his demeanor unchanged despite the accusations leveled against him. With a hint of amusement in his voice, he spoke up, his words carrying a sense of detachment.

"It's been a while since I was called Alfredo," he remarked casually, as though discussing the weather rather than his status as a wanted fugitive. His nonchalant demeanor only served to heighten the tension in the room, as the crew grappled with the realization that they were face to face with a dangerous adversary.

In a sudden blur of motion, Ryan's form shimmered and wavered, like a mirage dissipating in the desert heat. Before anyone could react, he vanished into thin air, leaving behind nothing but a sense of bewilderment and disbelief.

Hank's eyes widened in shock as he watched the space where Ryan had stood moments before, his mind struggling to comprehend the abrupt disappearance. Jil's hand instinctively tightened around her gun, ready to fire her weapon at the first sign of danger.

Gabe glanced around the room and searched for any trace of the vanished fugitive. But there was nothing. Ryan had simply vanished into the ether, leaving no clues behind.

As the crew exchanged bewildered glances, a sinking feeling settled in the pit of their stomachs. They had been outmaneuvered, their carefully laid plans unraveling before their eyes. Ryan's escape was a stark reminder of the danger he posed, and the lengths to which he would go to evade capture.
OOC:
What do you do?
Feb 13, 2024 5:00 pm
Can I take a (sword)swing at the space Alfredo just left?
Feb 13, 2024 5:04 pm
As the shock of Ryan's sudden disappearance settled over the room, Slaine's instincts kicked in. Without hesitation, they drew their sword and lunged forward, aiming a swift and precise swing at the empty space where Alfredo had stood just moments before.

The blade sliced through the air with a faint whistle, but there was nothing to meet its edge. Slaine's strike found only emptiness, the momentum carrying they forward as they pivoted to regain their balance.

Erin watched the scene unfold with a mixture of amusement and confusion, her brow furrowing in puzzlement. Jil, on the other hand, reacted swiftly to the sudden motion, instinctively stepping back to avoid being caught in the path of Slaine's swinging blade. Her eyes widened in surprise as she registered the empty space where Ryan had been, her mind racing to make sense of the inexplicable turn of events.
OOC:
Hank, Corbin, what do you do?
Feb 13, 2024 5:15 pm
We need to search this ship Alfredo Hernandez, who you knew as Ryan, could be a threat to this ship and crew. He has already shown to be uncooperative and may be equipped with internal explosives. They turn to Gabe, First officer Gabriel Reyes, I am not trying to take any sort of command of this ship, but we need to find Alfredo, or at least k ow that Alfredo isnt on this ship. I suggest moving in pairs. Can you coordinate with Captain Valeria Zaytsev?
Can I make any sort of check to know... What that was? Have I ever seen anything like that?
Feb 13, 2024 5:32 pm
Hank looks at Slaine and asks, "Can bio-synths be psychic?" He then turns to Gabe and Corbin and says, "Check the shuttles! Make sure he isn't on board."

Turning back to Slaine, he adds, "I doubt splitting up into teams and manually searching is a good idea. We're going to be better off getting everyone into a safe place, then depressurize or otherwise force his hand into exposing himself. If we pair off to wander around trying to find him, we will just be dying in pairs."
OOC:
Also, what type of internal sensors does the Celestial Voyager have?
Last edited February 13, 2024 5:40 pm
Feb 13, 2024 5:35 pm
daryen says:
Hank looks at Slaine and asks, "Can bio-synths be psychic?"
OOC:
Why not? ;)

Feel free to answer using your own words, Slaine.
Feb 13, 2024 5:43 pm
daryen says:
Hank looks at Slain and asks, "Can bio-synths be psychic?"
You watch Slaine's eyes unfocus as the look into nowhere, searching inside them self quickly.
Theoretically, the organic structures of their minds could produce pathways similar to those that show psychic talent.
Feb 13, 2024 5:44 pm
OOC:
Well, it all depends on whether you want to have psionics be a by-product of a person's actual wet-ware, or of just their "mind". If it requires an actual brain to have psionics, then someone with a synth core can't have any. But, if it just takes a certain level of sapience, then, even full AI robots can have psionics. It is a "base assumptions" question that I am really asking here.

And note that this doesn't even really have to apply to "Ryan". If he is simply the donor for the clones that become bio-synths, then he could actually just be an exceptional human and not even be a bio-synth.

But he either turned invisible or he teleported. Alternatively, he could have done some kind of personal "jump" using TL 5 equipment. There are a lot of options here. :-)
Feb 13, 2024 7:10 pm
OOC:
Yup. We will discover that in game. Corbin, what do you do?
Feb 13, 2024 7:45 pm
Oh. I forgot something potentially useful ...

daryen sent a note to htech
Feb 13, 2024 9:22 pm
"Shut those doors, Corbin calls to Hank and Erin. Corbin didn't see either of them knocked out of the way. So assuming 'Ryan' is just invisible and fast, he'd need to stick to the doorways. Corbin grabs Jil's arm and pulls her toward the bulkhead so the two of them have their backs to the wall and clearer view of the shuttlebay.
Feb 13, 2024 10:11 pm
Rushing to the room they just exited, He could have teleported if he is Psionic.
Feb 13, 2024 11:34 pm
OOC:
I will trust our experienced players to keep Hank's Oracle powers as out-of-character knowledge and avoid using my posts if their character doesn't know. With that, I will almost always put his visions in the open instead of using secret notes.

It should be interesting to read, at the very least.
Daryen says:
Can Hank use the base Oracle ability to see where "Ryan" is now? Sure, using it now means it can't be used again until "Ryan" moves again. But it should provide some useful information as to our immediate threat.
You're asking that in the present tense. Let's reframe it as a question about the future. Moreover, it has to be from Hank's own future.

Other than that, sure, you can use those powers. I'm looking forward to it. =)
Feb 13, 2024 11:47 pm
"Check the shuttles! Make sure he isn't on board," Hank suggested, his tone decisive as he delegated tasks to Gabe and Corbin. The urgency in his voice underscored the seriousness of their predicament, as they scrambled to prevent Ryan from slipping away undetected.

As Corbin called for the doors to be shut, Hank and Erin swiftly complied, sealing off potential avenues of escape for their elusive quarry. Corbin, his keen observation skills in full force, positioned himself and Jil strategically against the bulkhead, maximizing their visibility of the shuttle bay while minimizing blind spots.

Meanwhile, Slaine wasted no time in rushing back to the generators room they had just exited, their mind racing with the possibilities of Ryan's abilities. "He could have teleported if he is Psionic," they surmised, voice tinged with urgency as they sought to unravel the mystery of their foe's elusive tactics.
OOC:
Continues...
Feb 13, 2024 11:49 pm
OOC:
i should probably roll.

Rolls

Slaine Rowan: Notice - Usual roll - (3d6h2+2)

(515) + 2 = 12

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Feb 13, 2024 11:49 pm
As Gabe made his way to the passenger shuttle, a sense of unease settled over him. The silence that greeted him as he approached the vessel sent a chill down his spine, raising the hairs on the back of his neck.

With cautious steps, Gabe approached the shuttle, his senses on high alert as he prepared to investigate. Every creak of the metal underfoot seemed to echo through the corridor, amplifying the tension that hung thick in the air.

As he reached the shuttle's entrance, Gabe's heart pounded in his chest, the anticipation of what he might find inside driving him forward. With a deep breath to steady his nerves, he reached out and activated the access panel, the door sliding open with a soft hiss.

What greeted him inside the shuttle was a scene of eerie stillness. The air was heavy with a palpable sense of foreboding, and Gabe's instincts screamed at him to proceed with caution.

As he continued his search, a sinking feeling settled in the pit of Gabe's stomach. Something was terribly wrong, and he couldn't shake the sense of dread that gnawed at him from within.
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes
OOC:
To be continued, after Hank's Oracle question is resolved.
Feb 14, 2024 1:05 am
OOC:
Quote:
Also, what type of internal sensors does the Celestial Voyager have?
Monochromatic video feeds, sound recording, equipment logs with their own sensors and triggers (doors included), temperature, air pressure, atmospheric composition (CO2 / O2 / Nitrogen mix), and last but not least, radiation.

Yeah, it's Orwell's Big Brother. Safety first. =)
Feb 14, 2024 2:20 am
Hank radios to the bridge. "Captain, I apologize for the extreme break in protocol. We have a big problem. Ryan is a fugitive and he literally disappeared from our view while six people were watching him. He must be considered armed and extremely dangerous. Please do an entire ships scan. We need to find him and find him now! Everyone in the crew needs to team up in groups of at least three.

Also, we need both shuttles remotely shut down immediately until we can find him!

This is a major threat to us and the ship."
Feb 14, 2024 2:57 am
OOC:
Yeah, I used present tense because it was easier. Consider it, I dunno, six seconds in the future. Close enough. However, the big issue is that it has to be from Hanks's perspective. That radically reduces its utility for what I was thinking.

So, thinking differently, ...
Oracle question: When and where does Hank encounter Ryan again?

I am still learning this, so forgive if this is a weak question. Also, this only goes forward up to a day, so if Hank won't encounter Ryan for the next 24 hours, he gets no answer.
Last edited February 14, 2024 2:58 am
Feb 14, 2024 3:22 am
OOC:
I can work with that question =)
Hank's mind raced as he sought to see Ryan, his thoughts a jumble of fragmented images and fleeting impressions. But as he delved deeper into the future, a strange sensation washed over him, like a chill wind whispering through his mind.

Suddenly, without warning, the world around him shifted, and Hank found himself enveloped in a vision unlike any he had experienced before. In the blink of an eye, he was transported to a scene of chaos and destruction, his surroundings blurred and indistinct.

Hank's heart pounded in his chest as he surveyed the scene before him, his senses overwhelmed by the intensity of the vision. He watched helplessly his future self looking into a video recording, as it showed Ryan and then the passenger shuttle erupting in a blinding explosion, the force of the blast tearing through the ship with devastating force.

In the midst of the chaos, he caught a glimpse of Jil and Gabe, their figures engulfed in flames as they were hurled into the void of space. A surge of anguish and despair washed over Hank as he witnessed their final moments, his mind reeling with the magnitude of the tragedy unfolding before him. He could feel the crushing weight of despair pressing down on him, a sense of helplessness overwhelming his senses.

Tears stung his eyes as he struggled to comprehend the enormity of what he had foreseen. The vision had been a cruel twist of fate, a glimpse into a future stained with tragedy.

Now, in front of him, the closed doors to the shuttle bay beckoned. Will you try to change the future?
OOC:
Hank, what do you do?
load next

Thread locked