Chapter 4A: Traitors in our midst

load previous
Feb 14, 2024 3:50 am
OOC:
Time. Does the vision give any idea of how far ahead this happens?
Feb 14, 2024 4:39 am
Hank tries to figure out how far ahead he will see the recording with Ryan in it.

The future and the visions are annoyingly vague. Hanks learns that it always relate to actions and events, not abstract facts. Moreover, only the most important or significant information is conveyed by the technique. Because of this, the visions seem to have a mind of their own. Crucial details slip through and he can't control the exact question, just its general direction.

He feels that this vision are about his actions more than 1 minute into the future, but within his 1 day precognition capabilities.
OOC:
In this specific case, regarding the time, I'm giving you only the skill level required. A level 0 Oracle wouldn't see that. That's a level 1 vision.

Here is the current (present) map. Both doors are closed.

Please ignore the Jil on the floor, the correct one is the blue Jil token, with her back to the wall and a clearer view of the shuttlebay.
OOC:
What will Hank do?
Feb 14, 2024 2:43 pm
OOC:
Well, gotta try and change the future! Hopefully, this isn't one of those cases where I am doomed to cause the situation I am trying to avoid.
Hank bursts through the door with Erin in tow. "I think he's on the shuttle! We need to clear the shuttle right now!

"Rowan: If we don't find him, we'll need you and your sword to make sure he isn't there.

"Corbin: We need to make sure he can't sabotage the shuttle. Can we completely shut it down? Make sure nothing can be overloaded?"

Assuming the shuttle's locker is still operational, Corbin and Gabe can cover everyone as they quickly arm up. There are six of us, so we should be able to systematically ensure the shuttle is cleared, even if he is invisible. Well, five, as Corbin will need to be focused on making sure the shuttle can't explode.

GM edit: Not enough time for that last paragraph.
OOC:
Well, hopefully that doesn't completely screw it all up ...
Feb 14, 2024 3:18 pm
PhoenixScientist says:
OOC:
i should probably roll.
OOC:
I'm going to assume I don't notice anything in the room I'm in?
If Slaine doesn't notice anything they will go help Hank.
Feb 14, 2024 3:23 pm
OOC:
It doesn't screw it, because you still have that Terminal Reflection. ;)
As Hank burst through the door with Erin in tow, his urgency palpable, the gravity of the situation became painfully clear. "I think he's on the shuttle! We need to clear the shuttle right now!" he exclaimed, his voice ringing with urgency as he sought to avert disaster.

Meanwhile, Slaine remained in the generators room, focused on the task at hand, oblivious to the unfolding chaos outside. Their mind raced with possibilities as they searched for Alfredo or any obvious sign of his whereabouts, unaware of the imminent danger lurking just beyond the door.

"Corbin, we need to make sure he can't sabotage the shuttle. Can we completely shut it down? Make sure nothing can be overloaded?" Hank's voice echoed in the tense silence, his words laden with urgency as he sought a solution to the impending crisis.

But before any action could be taken, realization struck Hank like a bolt of lightning. An explosion was imminent, and there was no time to change course. The shuttle bay's force fields would fail, leading to rapid decompression and catastrophic consequences for anyone caught in its path.
OOC:
Spend another Effort to keep your "spider sense" active for the day. ;)
With a surge of adrenaline, Hank's instincts kicked into overdrive. He glanced around frantically, his eyes falling on Corbin, clad in his armored vaccsuit. He is always wearing it, even if uncomfortable and unnecessary. Erin even jokes that he sleeps in it.

But Erin, Jil, and himself are exposed now, vulnerable in their more comfortable attire and secure clothing.

Without a moment's hesitation, Hank made a split-second decision.
OOC:
Roll Evasion and tell us what was your decision, Hank. You have 2-3 seconds.
Feb 14, 2024 3:26 pm
PhoenixScientist says:
PhoenixScientist says:
OOC:
i should probably roll.
OOC:
I'm going to assume I don't notice anything in the room I'm in?
If Slaine doesn't notice anything they will go help Hank.
?
Feb 14, 2024 3:39 pm
OOC:
Slaine is in the room, searching / looking. It will explode before you or Corbin have much time to act or do something significant again.

Hank didn't stay in the corridor and his visions are 1 minute long in its contents but instantaneously assimilated.
Feb 14, 2024 4:32 pm
OOC:
I thought we had more time to get to the shuttle. So, while I didn't ensure what I saw would happen, I did make the situation worse.
There are only three options I see for those of us exposed:
1) Get back to the corridor.
2) Get into the room with Slaine.
3) Get into the fuel shuttle.

He will grab both Erin and Jil (I assume they are next to him) and run to whichever is closer with them and hope we can close the door in time.

He has no idea where Gabe is, but he can only worry about himself and those with him now. 😕
OOC:
On a more irrelevant point, Hank is now out Cr1800 and we lost our spare parts. And shuttle. And shuttle bay. And space-worthiness.

We're so fired. 😭
Last edited February 14, 2024 4:57 pm

Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

htech

Feb 14, 2024 4:46 pm
As Gabe cautiously entered the passenger shuttle, his senses heightened, he noticed a figure hunched over the computer console. Before he could react, Ryan pressed a sequence of buttons with lightning speed, a malevolent glint in his eyes. Ryan had something ready for those situations. Then, in a blink of an eye, he vanished into thin air again, leaving Gabe frozen in shock.
Gabriel "Gabe" Reyes

Seconds later, a deafening explosion tore through the shuttle, engulfing it in a fiery inferno. The force of the blast sent shockwaves rippling through the corridor, and Gabe was flung backward with brutal force, his body slamming against the metal bulkhead.

The vacuum of space beckoned hungrily as the shuttle's hull ruptured and the bay's force fields faltered, everything spilling out into the void. Gabe, caught in the maelstrom of destruction, was sucked out into the cold expanse of space, his screams lost to the emptiness surrounding them.

Corbin, encased in his armored vacsuit, remained insulated from the deadly vacuum, his breathing as steady as possible while he weathered the onslaught. Despite the chaos unfolding around him, he emerged from the ordeal unharmed, a lone survivor amidst the wreckage.

But for Gabe, there would be no reprieve. His live extinguished in an instant, he became a casualty of Ryan's ruthless betrayal. The crew would mourn him for months.

The Celestial Voyager was also in dire need of repairs.
An hour later, with Corbin safely aboard again and as the dust settled and the smoke cleared, Erin, Hank, Jil and Slaine would see the fatidical video recording of their encounter with Ryan and his teleportations. First to the shuttle and then a couple of internal jumps as he, probably, leaves the ship to enter the Postal Authority orbital station.

Rolls

Hank Heron: Evasion - (1d20DC13)

(20) + 13 = 33

Feb 14, 2024 5:00 pm
OOC:
Oops! Forgot the die roll! I am very, very, very happy I did! Also, he does expend the Effort to keep his Terminal Reflection active. In the end Hank couldn't stop anything, but he did manage to save Jil, so there is at least that.

I am assuming Slaine will be trying to mobilize the Postal Station in a desperate manhunt for the fugitive.

I assume we made it into Slaine's room?

And how bad is the damage? How's the other shuttle? How much of the passenger shuttle is left?

I imagine it'll take days to finish cleaning up our debris.
Last edited February 14, 2024 6:29 pm
Feb 14, 2024 8:43 pm
Special Agent Slaine Rowan is going to try to shut down as much leaving transportas possible, try to get the station searched, and see to getting the Celestial Voyager crew recouped for damages lost while aiding an ITC investigation.
Wanted: Alfredo Hernandez, AKA Ryan Carter
https://i.imgur.com/q8QGBIP.jpg
Crimes: Medical Fraud, Resisting Arrest, Endangering g ITC agent, Endangering civilians, destruction of property: 3rd degree,
Suspected Crimes: Collusion, conspiracy,
Considered an armed and dangerous psionic terrorist.
Civilians do not approach, alert an ITC agent or security immediately.
Kill on sight.

Any information leading to arrest or incapacitation: 5,000 credits reward.

Case Report: Bio-Synth Eclipse Investigation | Orbital Station: Draco System
Special Agent Slaine Rowan | Trade Era 1234, Day ##

Alfredo Hernandez was discovered aboard the Celestial
Voyager
, under the guize of Ryan Carter, as expected and explained in previous reports. The crew of the Celestial Voyager, namely Gabriel Reyes, Hank Heron, and Jilandra Broadenspec, allowed me passage aboard their shuttle and were willing to be scanned for implanted devices. They added me in separating and cornering Alfredo Hernandez, and unfortunately unexpected psionic powers of teleportation let him evade capture and cause the damages listed in the attached documentation.
Hank Heron specifically saved the lives of Erin Brand and Jilandra Broadenspec, though Gabriel Reyes perished in the explosion.

I have attached and filled out the following forms for the incident, QR35: Requisitions and recouperations, B55-1: Civilian Assets, 100-21-B: Criminal Danger Escalation. Please forward and process.

Side Note: In this time where insurgents threaten the safety of this system I believe it it moral and paramount that we reward and recoup any civilian assets for any aid they provide.
OOC:
Hopefully you all will get compensated for losses.
Note: the 400 credit reward is writing flourish. Not a bounty oked by the GM.

Last edited February 15, 2024 1:40 am
Feb 14, 2024 9:11 pm
OOC:
That's Gabe, not Ryan/Alfredo.

How do you make that graphic, though?
Feb 15, 2024 1:27 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 137

Shuttle’s bay, Celestial Voyager, Draco system.

Jil took her place on the floor of the shuttle bay, her heart pounding in her chest as she waited for the signal to spring their trap.

The minutes stretched on, each one feeling like an eternity as the shuttle bay remained eerily silent. But Jil refused to let doubt creep in. She trusted her crewmates implicitly, knowing that they were all in this together.

Finally, Hank's voice crackled over the communication system, initiating contact with Ryan Carter. Jil's heart raced as she listened to the exchange, her senses on high alert as they waited for their target to take the bait.

When Ryan finally appeared, Jil's pulse quickened with a mixture of adrenaline and apprehension. As he approached her, concern etched on his face, she fought to maintain her composure, knowing that the success of their mission hinged on her ability to play her part convincingly.

But just as they were on the cusp of victory, disaster struck. Ryan vanished into thin air, leaving behind nothing but confusion and disbelief in his wake.

"Shut those doors", Corbin calls, to Hank and Erin. Then, Corbin's strong grip closed around her arm, pulling her towards the bulkhead with a firm urgency. With their backs pressed against the wall, Jil felt a surge of adrenaline coursing through her veins as she focused on the scene playing out in the shuttle bay beyond. Her eyes scanned the room with a heightened sense of awareness, searching for any sign of Alfredo. Together, they stood shoulder to shoulder, their backs against the bulkhead as they watched and waited, ready to spring into action at a moment's notice.

But it was Hank that sprung into action, not them. He entered the bay running and reached for her. Jil was propelled forward with surprising force. Her senses were overwhelmed with a whirlwind of motion as Hank pulled her along, Erin following closely behind. Their hurried footsteps echoed loudly against the metal flooring as they raced towards the generator room, the urgency in Hank's voice ringing in her ears. He called out to Corbin, instructing him to suit up in his armored vaccsuit.

As they reached the safety of the generator room, she took a moment to catch her breath, her chest heaving with exertion. Amidst the chaos, Slaine was already there, looking for Ryan. Before either of them could make sense of Hank's actions, a deafening explosion rocked the room, the force of it blowing the door wide open. The shuttle bay was a mess. The passenger shuttle was gone, the force fields broken and both Corbin and the refueling shuttle sucked into the void.

The sudden decompression sent a shockwave through the generator room, threatening to engulf them in its wake. With a sense of urgency bordering on desperation, Jil braced herself against the onslaught, her hands gripping onto anything within reach for stability. In the chaos that ensued, Jil's mind raced with a single thought: survival. With every fiber of her being, she clung to the hope that they would emerge from this ordeal unscathed.

Trade Era 1235, Day 137

Celestial Voyager, Draco system.

As the dust settled and the smoke cleared from the aftermath of their encounter with Ryan and his astonishing teleportations, the crew of the Celestial Voyager gathered in a makeshift command center to review the footage captured during the chaotic events. Hank, Jil, Corbin and Slaine stood tense and expectant, their eyes fixed on the holographic display as it flickered to life, revealing the momentous events that had unfolded just hours before.

Amidst the tension-filled atmosphere, the door to the room slid open with a soft hiss, admitting the graceful figure of Captain Valeria Zaytsev. With a measured pace, Valeria approached the holographic display. Her usually vibrant eyes, filled with determination and resolve, were now clouded with sorrow as she watched the events unfold before her. Every flicker of the holographic images seemed to weigh heavily upon her shoulders, each moment of chaos and destruction a painful reminder of the fragility of life in the unforgiving expanse of space.

"Captain," Jil began, her voice steady despite the underlying tension in the room. "We've captured footage of our encounter with Ryan Carter. It... it's unlike anything we've ever seen before. He was able to evade us effortlessly, slipping through our grasp with uncanny ease."

Despite her efforts to maintain her composure, tears welled in Valeria's eyes, betraying the depth of her emotions as she grappled with the pain of their loss. Her hands trembled slightly at her sides, a silent testament to the anguish that gnawed at her soul as she struggled to come to terms with the cruel hand fate had dealt them.

"We must track down Ryan Carter" - Valeria said.

As Captain Valeria's resolute words hung in the air, Erin's expression hardened into a steely mask of determination. Her eyes blazed with a fierce intensity, fueled by a primal instinct for vengeance that simmered just beneath the surface. With a resolute grip on her weapon, she stepped forward, her voice tinged with a quiet but unmistakable resolve.

"I'm ready for it," Erin declared, her tone firm and unwavering. "Ryan Carter needs to pay for what he's done. He can't just disappear into the void and leave us to pick up the pieces."

Beside her, Slaine nodded in understanding, their expression thoughtful as they considered the implications of Erin's words. "Perhaps the ITC could offer a bounty for his capture," they suggested "It could incentivize others to aid in our pursuit and increase our chances of success."
OOC:
I approved of the bounty and increased it =)

But let's say that your "wanted" poster is still in the future, regarding our current timeline. I want you and the crew to roleplay getting to that with the local authorities =)
"Can you check with the local authorities about that bounty, Special Agent Rowan?" - Valeria asked Slaine. - "I can give you some local contacts, it's not my first time here. Chief Inspector Marcus Trent and Judge Ramirez are old friends and could help us in this time of need. I also know of a reporter, called Olivia Winters, she works for the Interstellar Broadcast Network and would probably love to interview you. Corbin, do you prefer to help in the hunt or with repairs? In the meantime, I wanna talk with Hank in private, I have a proposition for you. Let's go to my office."
OOC:
What do you do?
Feb 15, 2024 1:38 pm
Damage assessment. Corbin heads to engineering to begin pulling reports on the extent of the damage. An exploding shuttle has the potential to cause tons of unseen damage to the ship, on top of the obvious hole in the ship.
Feb 15, 2024 3:07 pm
OOC:
I assumed all of the recovery is done in the background? (I.e. the fuel shuttle, Gabe's body, passenger shuttle wreckage, platinum, etc.)
Hank goes to offer some thoughts in the first part of the conversation, but thinks better of it and simply watches and listens.

At Valeria's last comment, Hank briefly has a surprised look on his face, but quickly suppresses it. Once she indicates, Hank follows her into her office.
Feb 15, 2024 4:22 pm
OOC:
Yup. Let’s skip most of the recovery. That will be done in the background. (I.e. the fuel shuttle, Gabe's body, passenger shuttle wreckage, platinum, etc.)
As Corbin rushed to the engineering section, his mind raced with the weight of responsibility. He knew that an exploding shuttle could wreak havoc on the Celestial Voyager, causing not only visible damage but also unseen consequences that could jeopardize the entire ship.

Upon reaching the engineering console, Corbin immediately began pulling up reports on the extent of the damage. His fingers flew across the controls, accessing critical systems and scanning for any signs of compromise. As Corbin delved deeper into the system diagnostics, additional alarms blared, indicating disruptions to vital systems throughout the ship. The explosion had triggered a chain reaction, causing power fluctuations, ruptured conduits, and compromised integrity seals.

With a sinking feeling in his chest, Corbin realized the true extent of the damage. The explosion had not only created a gaping hole in the shuttle bay but also compromised the ship's overall stability. Without immediate intervention, the Celestial Voyager faced the very real possibility of catastrophic failure in combat or unforeseen situations.

Damage Report
Item Repair / replacement costs (not including labor)
Debris Removal and Cleanup 0
Shuttle Bay Force Field Generators 8,578
Structural Damage to Shuttle Bay 5,174
Fix Power Fluctuations and Ruptured Conduits 1,697
Compromised Integrity Seals 551
--------
Subtotal (repairs) 16,000
Passenger Shuttle Replacement 25,000

Total: 41,000 credits

As Corbin pondered the daunting expense of repairing the Celestial Voyager, a bold idea began to take shape in his mind. He considered the possibility of selling and dismantling some of the ship's fittings to offset the cost of the necessary repairs.

With determination in his eyes, Corbin set out to assess the value of the ship's fittings and equipment. He meticulously cataloged each item, evaluating its condition and potential resale value.

Ship fitting Selling value
Lifeboats31,250
Hardened Polyceramic Overlay (armor)312,500
Spike Drive-2 125,000
Passenger shuttle 0
Extended stores31,250
Fuel shuttle62,500
Cold sleep pods62,500
Ship’s Locker25,000
Fuel Bunker31,250
Fuel Bunker31,250

It was a drastic measure, but one that might be necessary to ensure the Celestial Voyager's continued operation. However, Corbin knew he couldn't make such a decision unilaterally. He needed authorization from Captain Valeria before taking any action that would impact the ship's integrity or functionality. And from Gabe, if he was alive.
OOC:
Corbin, what do you do?

Rolls

Damage (Hull breach) - (3d10)

(2104) = 16

Captain Zaytsev

htech

Feb 15, 2024 5:26 pm
As they entered Valeria's office, the air seemed to crackle with tension, the weight of their recent losses hanging heavy in the air. Hank's heart ached with the memory of Gabe, the former first officer whose absence was keenly felt by all.

For a moment, the silence hung heavy in the air, broken only by the soft hum of the ship's engines in the distance. Hank shifted uncomfortably in his seat, his mind racing with a thousand questions and uncertainties.

Valeria's expression was somber as she took a seat behind her desk, her eyes reflecting the pain of their recent setbacks. "Hank," she began, her voice tinged with sadness, "I know this is a lot to ask, especially in light of recent events. Gabe was... irreplaceable. But we need someone to step up and help steer the ship through these troubled waters. With Gabe... gone, I find myself in need of a new first officer."
OOC:
What do you do?
Captain Zaytsev
Feb 15, 2024 5:33 pm
OOC:
Hank will vote for the cold sleep berths.

Of course, this begs the question of where this can be fixed. Is where we currently are capable of doing this?
Hank has no ability to hide the surprise in his face. "Real-- Yes. Yes, I would be honored to perform that role! I know I cannot match Gabe's knowledge or experience, but I will give you all I have."
Last edited February 15, 2024 6:23 pm
Feb 15, 2024 6:38 pm
Hank pauses for a couple moments, then says, "Before you fully commit to this decision, I need to reveal something to you first." He takes a deep breath and continues, "I am a Precog. I have Precognition psychic abilities. I was trained at university in the basics of handling it and for the longest time it was just subtle and minor. All I could do was very occasionally get a sense for something in the immediate future or see a hint of an immediately possibility. Mostly, I just ignored it. But very recently I have started being able to 'see' a little more farther out, and I have start to be able to 'feel' when something bad is about to happen to me. I am still very new to all of this, but it is there.

"That is why I acted so oddly in the shuttle bay. I 'saw' something bad was going to happen. I couldn't stop it; I didn't have enough warning. But I was able to at least save Jil and warn Corbin. I did put Erin at risk, though, because I didn't realize time was so short at first.

"So, as you can see, it is a fickle ability. But it is there and if I am going to take this position, I feel you need to know about it. I do ask that you keep it in your confidence, however, regardless of any decision you make."
Last edited February 15, 2024 6:39 pm

Captain Zaytsev

htech

Feb 15, 2024 8:21 pm
OOC:
You actually need (or believe you need) those cryo-pods and the synths for faster than light jumps. That's part of our game universe that I didn't change for Stars Without Number ;)
As Hank revealed his secret to Captain Valeria, the air in the room seemed to grow heavy with tension. Valeria absorbed his words, her gaze locked onto his with a mixture of surprise and intrigue.

"Thank you for trusting me with this, Hank," Valeria replied, her voice calm and measured. "I understand the weight of what you're telling me, and I appreciate your honesty."

There was a brief pause as Valeria processed Hank's revelation, her mind racing with the implications of what it meant for their future together as captain and first officer. She knew that Precognition was a rare and often misunderstood ability, one that carried with it a burden of responsibility and uncertainty.

"I won't pretend to fully understand the complexities of your abilities," Valeria continued, her tone thoughtful. "But I trust that you wouldn't offer this information lightly. Your actions in the shuttle bay... they make more sense now."

Then Valeria offered him a reassuring smile, her eyes warm with understanding. "You have my trust, Hank," she said firmly. "And your secret will remain safe with me. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, our hidden talents and vulnerabilities. It's what makes us human. Indeed," she said, her voice tinged with a note of optimism. "In our line of work, having someone who can see a step ahead can be invaluable. We'll need to find ways to harness your abilities to their fullest potential."

"As your first assignment, please check with Corbin the extent of the damage. We will talk about it later. I need some time alone now."
Captain Zaytsev
OOC:
What do you do?
load next

Thread locked