Chapter 4A: Traitors in our midst

load previous
Feb 15, 2024 8:55 pm
I think Slaine would be helping Corbin assess damages, both as an official agent to verify any claims, and to fill their report (and also just to help).
Slain would also accept an "I got this" dismissal, if Corbin wanted to handle it himself. They gets how engineers and scientists can be with projects.
Edit: actually, if anyone's injured Slaine would be helping with that. I just assumed everyone was mostly ok.
Last edited February 15, 2024 9:01 pm
Feb 15, 2024 9:10 pm
htech says:
"As your first assignment, please check with Corbin in Engineer the extent of the damage. We will talk about it later. I need some time alone now."
OOC:
What do you do?
Hank gets up and says, "Thank you for your trust and confidence in me. I will do everything I can to make sure it is not misplaced." With that he gets up, nods, and heads for the door. Just before he opens the door, he turns around for a moment and says, "Please don't forget that if you ever need to talk about anything, I am always here. You can't talk with many people because you are the Captain. I am always available and, even though I may not be able to help, I am always willing to listen."

With that, he turns around and quietly leaves. He then heads out to find Corbin.
OOC:
Oh, crap! You are correct! I was going back into "Traveller-mode" and thinking of them that way. Man, there are no good choices here. Wow. I'll ask questions when I get to Corbin.
Feb 15, 2024 11:27 pm
OOC:
PhoenixScientist says:

Actually, if anyone's injured Slaine would be helping with that. I just assumed everyone was mostly ok.
Not needed =)
I will let Corbin choose about the help with damage assessment.
There is also the matter about the reporter, the judge and the bounty. Those are up to you, with Erin's or the crew help (but can be dealt with later, after assessments).
Feb 16, 2024 12:01 am
OOC:
I'm just going to assume Slaine is with Corbin when I get there.
Hank goes looking for Corbin. Once he finds him, he sees that Slaine is helping him. Having spent so much time working together, especially having joined at the same time, Hank feels he can confide in him. "Looks like I get Gabe's old gig. If only I can do half as well ..." He trails off before catching himself. "How's it looking? The Captain asked me to check with you on where we stood and what our options are. I assume they are all bad to worse."

He turns to Slaine and says, "Special Agent, we will greatly appreciate your help managing the station. We already have a reporter floating around and a judge to coordinate with. We are definitely going to be relying on you for guidance through this. I only ask that we run everything through the Captain before any official statements are made or interviews given."
Last edited February 16, 2024 4:09 pm
Feb 16, 2024 1:51 pm
When Slaine offers to help, Corbin points to an open console. "Thanks, use that station. I've started with the engines working forward. If you'll start the diagnostics on the bridge systems and work aft from there. We should have an idea how bad it is fairly quickly."

When Hank arrives. "Congrats, sorry it had to be 'combat' promotion. But I think you'll do fine."
Feb 16, 2024 4:09 pm
OOC:
Hank's statements to Slaine were wrong. Let me redo them here.
Hank turns to Slaine and says, "Special Agent Rowan, we will greatly appreciate your help managing the station. The Captain has provided some of her contacts on the station to help. The first persons you probably need to contact are Chief Inspector Marcus Trent and Judge Ramirez. Be sure to name-drop her when reaching out to them. The faster we can get the station working with us, the better chance we have to stop Ryan, uh, whoever it is.

"In addition, getting in contact with the reporter, uh ..."
Hank has to check his notes, "Olivia Winters from Interstellar Broadcast Network can help get the information out. Again, the sooner we get these resources marshalled, the faster we can find him. Assuming he's still around to be found."
Feb 16, 2024 8:53 pm
Slaine isn't great at actual mechanics , but sifting through and recording information? That Slaine can do, so they spend a while recording diagnostics and using that, and cross referencing with external value reports to begin a report.
Once addressed by Hank they look up."I've already started an official report, both for the ITC and for possible reimbursement. It's not guaranteed but sometimes it does happen.
I'll make sure to include it when I contact the Judge and Chief Inspector.."
they then pause. "Do you trust this reporter not to spin something,? I can file a report but don't make official statements. I usually have someone available whose job that is. "
OOC:
AKA Slaine is good at paperwork and bad at talking to people. In an official capacity, excellent employee, agent, etc. In a personal level, fine, but with little skills.

Slaine is going to get all the damages files and also try to get a statement from each crew member present about the incident (from leaving the shuttle to the explosion) and file it with the report, if they are willing.
Slaine probably spends most of a day total doing all the forms and getting the damage report with Corbin, and any willing statements. Once done will message Chief Inspector Marcus Trent and Judge Ramirez the reports.
They will also request the crew reports any concussion effects or new adverse health expierences, both for a report, and offering medical services personally.
Last edited February 16, 2024 8:55 pm
Feb 16, 2024 9:05 pm
Hank replies, "OK. The reporter is probably trustworthy, as she was brought up by the Captain directly. However, I completely empathize with your hesitation. So, let's not worry about that yet. I check back with her on how she wants to handle the reporter. But please do get things started with the Chief Inspector and Judge.

"Thank you!"

He will then work with Corbin on assessing the report so they can jointly present the report and recommendations to the Captain.
Feb 16, 2024 11:58 pm
OOC:

Quote:
Slaine probably spends most of a day total doing all the forms and getting the damage report with Corbin, and any willing statements. Once done will message Chief Inspector Marcus Trent and Judge Ramirez the reports.
Seems like the same Slaine from chargen. Makes sense for me =)

Should I consider that as your previously written report or a new one? Either way works for me, just wanted to be sure.

I will post their reply on the next day (after they receive your report), so let me check the results from Corbin and Hank presenting their findings/repair suggestions to Valeria first. Feel free to tag along.
Feb 17, 2024 12:02 am
htech says:
OOC:

Quote:
Seems like the same Slaine from chargen. Makes sense for me =)

Should I consider that as your previously written report or a new one? Either way works for me, just wanted to be sure.

I will post their reply on the next day (after they receive your report), so let me check the results from Corbin and Hank presenting their findings/repair suggestions to Valeria first. Feel free to tag along.
OOC:
Yeah We'll assume that. Same report.

Erin Brand

htech

Feb 18, 2024 12:59 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 137. 17:45 UTC

Engineering, Celestial Voyager, Draco system.

For a couple of hours now, Hank had worked with Corbin on the damage report, so they could jointly present it and their recommendations to the Captain. They had the data but not a recommendation yet.

Hearing something in Engineering, Erin appeared. She was a little frustrated for not going on a massive manhunt immediately, and thought that maybe by helping Hankโ€™s and Corbin with their work she could distract herself.

"Hey guys, can I help? What are you doing?"
Erin Brand
Feb 18, 2024 5:19 pm
OOC:
Feel free to change the below @Esidrix and @Pysbermagi, but this is kinda my head-canon, so I'll throw it out for a chance to make it actual canon. ๐Ÿ™‚
Hank looks up to Erin's question and smiles. The three of them had spent a lot of free time together and had a lot of good times over the year Erin has been with the crew. Hank and Corbin had hit it off when they joined the crew together and bonded despite their radically different backgrounds. While proving his accounting acumen, Hank also spent a lot of time on maintenance detail with Corbin. When Erin joined the crew, she ended up taking over a lot of the maintenance work Hank had been doing. So, in the process, they made it a trio who would bond during break time and have some fun escapades on shore duty.

He says, "Sure, come on over! You're always welcome to join the fun! Corbin has compiled a list of all the damage the ship took, and we're trying to formulate a recommendation to the Captain for how we handle it. It is not a very pretty picture at all. Take a look if you can stomach it."

While they look over it, Hank continues, "So, here is the list of damages and their repair costs. All things considered, for having the shuttle explode in the shuttle bay, this is way better than it could have been. Whoever built the Voyager sure made her resilient! Plus, I imagine two years of Corbin's care hasn't hurt either. But, it is still pretty bad. The problem, of course, is that we don't have that much money. And, while we can do the repairs here, I don't think there are any replacement shuttles here we can buy, unless someone is selling one second-hand. Which ... is something I should probably check out in a bit.

"Since we have nothing in the hold other than the supplies we need to sustain our journey, we're kinda screwed on generating cash. Not sure how we're gonna be making that all work, to be honest. And that's where we are stuck. We know the damage and what it will take to fix, but we're trying to figure how what to recommend for the best path forward. And, once we make the repairs, we will need even more spare parts, plus we'll need to get all of those other spare parts we got before, again, because ...
" He trails off not completing his sentence. "So, we need even more money than what those repairs are gonna cost."

Taking a look through it, Erin comments, "Well, that does not look good. What's your plan?"
Feb 18, 2024 5:34 pm
htech says:
Item Repair / replacement costs (not including labor)
Subtotal (repairs) 16,000
Passenger Shuttle Replacement 25,000

Ship fitting Selling value
Lifeboats31,250
Hardened Polyceramic Overlay (armor)312,500
Spike Drive-2 125,000
Passenger shuttle 0
Extended stores31,250
Fuel shuttle62,500
Cold sleep pods62,500
Shipโ€™s Locker25,000
Fuel Bunker31,250
Fuel Bunker31,250
OOC:
I copied this from earlier in the thread. I shortened the first table to just show the totals.
Hank pulls up the above report and does kind of a stream-of-consciousness. "Well, we have a crew of 25. That won't fit in a shuttle, so regulations will require us to keep the Lifeboats. There's no way we're selling the Spike Drive, the Fuel Shuttle, or the cold sleep pods. I don't think we can sell the Fuel Bunkers because we kinda need them to get anywhere. That leaves the contents of the Ship's Locker, the extended stores and the Overlay. Even if we could selectively slice down the Overlay, I would imagine that requires more extensive facilities than we have here. That brings us down to the extended stores and ship's locker.

"So, from what I can see, it looks like we are reduced to this:
1) Siphon off what we can from both the extended stores and ship's locker to pay for the repairs. Hopefully the station will give us some sweetheart deals instead of trying to gouge us. This will at least let us move again and allow us to get from place to place.
2) Hold off on getting a replacement shuttle. We'll see if we can get a loaner from the Sentinel, or if Special Agent Rowan can swing us a replacement from his Agency, whether loaner or outright transfer.

"That's the best I'm seeing. Any better ideas? Please?"
Feb 18, 2024 5:58 pm
"I'll do my best to get some sort of compensation, but once I submit the paperwork it's out of my hands. But with everything else I would suggest keeping just the one shuttle for now.
The ship's locker would cover that, plus some extra creds you might be able to turn into trade."
Feb 18, 2024 6:28 pm
OOC:
How much of a trade system exists on the station?
Hank will reach out to any commercial contacts the Captain has to see what is both available for sale that they need, and what they can sell here. I'm assuming we can do the work needed on our own. We just need the supplies to get it done. The shuttle is a whole separate issue.

Speaking of the Sentinel, Hank wonders how they are doing on their hunt ...
OOC:
Also, do we recover any of the platinum? And do we recover any of the spare parts? I assume the parts are a total loss, but the platinum is pretty inert and solid. At least some of it should have survived. Honestly, if they can get a reasonable amount of it back, it might be able to help with some of the costs. Not much, but even 500 or 1000 credits will help. Regardless of how things work out, he will keep a couple bars for himself.
Last edited February 18, 2024 6:32 pm

Erin Brand

htech

Feb 18, 2024 7:44 pm
OOC:
I have actually posted the full trading data and tables for the Draco III station in the Game Information =) Feel free to look there for Speculative Trading. For the repair supplies, give me a Trade roll for a discount.

The platinum was recovered. The parts were lost.

Just realized that I didn't explicitly told you, but the Celestial Voyager character sheet is public and available near yours in the roll section and in the characters tab
Quote:
"That's the best I'm seeing. Any better ideas? Please?"
"No... What does Corbin thinks?

I actually also came here to tell you that the rest of the crew resigned. It's just the five of us now: you, me, Corbin, Valeria and Jil."
Erin Brand
Feb 18, 2024 8:02 pm
Hank looks completely stunned. "Wow. That was ... unexpected. That isn't a good thing. Now we have to find a new crew, too? Not gonna be fun. What about our passengers? Are they looking for a new ride, now?"
OOC:
So, as something Hank should know, what is the minimum crew required to operate the ship? Also, can the synths be used for crew purposes if we don't have enough actual crew? Just trying to go through all of the permutations.
Last edited February 18, 2024 8:03 pm
Feb 18, 2024 8:08 pm
OOC:
Looking at the ship write-up. It shows that we have 98K credits on hand. That would easily cover everything. Or is there something we have to save it for?

Also, with the crew gone, the lifeboats suddenly become an option. If we do get a new cargo shuttle, the two shuttles can be the "lifeboats" if we only have a crew of a dozen or so. Getting past 15 means we need the lifeboats back.
Also, I forgot my Trade roll. Here we go ...

EDIT:
Also, I suppose this means we need to start looking for more crew. We're gonna need 5-7 to just run the ship!

Hank asks Erin, "Did they say why they quit en mass? Just didn't want to be part of a cursed ship, or was there something else driving them away?"
Last edited February 18, 2024 11:43 pm

Rolls

Get discounts! - (3d6h2+2)

(656) + 2 = 14

Feb 19, 2024 3:43 am
Corbin processes the news of the crew quitting. You know, I don't think I'd quit in a system where there's a revolution brewing... but hey, each to their own. On the other hand, there's no reason the synths have to be frozen while we're in real space. Waking them up will double the current crew, and I'm pretty sure I trust them.
Feb 19, 2024 3:54 am
OOC:
With the five old crew, plus Slaine and the synths, we're at the minimum 10. If we get Douklan back, we're to 11. And the new guy will make 12. That's still pretty low, but it is workable even with no new NPCs!
"Corbin, in light of the hacked shuttle computer that almost killed us back at Draco I, and the Fugitive's ability to overload the shuttle so quickly, have you scanned for any such booby traps or hidden bombs in the Voyager's computers?"

Hank also thinks there is something more to the crew all quitting at once. It seems very fishy. Maybe the Fugitive suborned them somehow? Probably not. But it is fishy.
load next

Thread locked