Chapter 4C: Street Justice

load previous
Mar 1, 2024 12:52 am
Alfredo's compad and datapad were turned off since he left the Celestial Voyager.

But his datapad does have some encrypted files, electronic mail and unexpected contents. It will take a couple of hours to analyse and decode, but Slaine can surely do that later, using the computers available in the Celestial Voyager or the Bureau's starship.
Mar 1, 2024 12:59 am
Morgan will try and contact the police chief, make sure they are still on their way to the right location.

"Chief we have your guy KIA, or at least from what I heard in the news, someone that looks like him"

He puts down his gun and takes a Quick Look at the corpse but does not investigate much.

"I’m sure he isn’t going anywhere, I will take a quick look around

He will go back into the building and do a quick sweep, just to make sure there isn’t anyone else hiding and to see if there’s any evidence on any of the other rooms.

Rolls

Peter Morgan: Notice - (2d6)

(45) = 9

Mar 1, 2024 1:04 am
Slaine sighs, releases that there probably isn't any imminent explosions, then is going to confirm and call time of death

Rolls

Slaine Rowan: Heal - Usual roll - (3D6h2+3)

(366) + 3 = 15

Mar 1, 2024 1:08 am
Slaine confirms that Alfredo is dead.

He also doesn't show, in preliminary scans, as having an artificial Central Nervous System (ie. he is not showing as a Bio-Synth).

An autopsy will confirm, but maybe this one was just a gene donor. The dataslab is getting more and more relevant to solve this mystery.
Mar 1, 2024 1:11 am
Quote:
He will go back into the building and do a quick sweep, just to make sure there isn’t anyone else hiding and to see if there’s any evidence on any of the other rooms.
Besides Alfredo and the dead thug, there is nothing else. The building seems to have been abandoned a long time ago.

Erin Brand

daryen

Mar 1, 2024 1:13 am
Erin Brand

Erin catches the dataslab from Slaine and says, "I really can't help with this, but Hank is pretty handy with computers back on the ship. He can probably help with investigating this."
Mar 1, 2024 11:32 pm
Slaine will wait for the local authorities, filling them in on the situation, but will do both autopsies themselves.
Mar 1, 2024 11:47 pm
Morgan will also wait for the authorities, specially because he now doesn’t know what happens to his bounty, since another person killed his target but he also helped.

But in the meantime he will try to talk to the rest of the group that he helped.

"Nice work with that blade back there, where you two after his bounty also?"
Last edited March 1, 2024 11:48 pm
Mar 1, 2024 11:51 pm
As the dust settled and the adrenaline of the confrontation with Alfredo began to fade, the local police force arrived on the scene, their presence a welcome sight. With another drone hovering overhead and a squad of officers at the ready, they quickly set about securing the area and isolating the scene of the altercation.

Among the arriving officers was Chief Inspector Marcus Trent, a seasoned law enforcement veteran known for his no-nonsense approach to crime-solving.

"Secure the area," Chief Inspector Trent ordered, his tone leaving no room for interpretation. "I want a thorough investigation conducted"

With the area cordoned off, Chief Inspector Trent turned his attention to Slaine, Erin, and Peter, his gaze lingering on them with a mix of respect and gratitude.

"Good work," he said simply, his words carrying the weight of sincere appreciation.
OOC:
What do you do?

Erin Brand

daryen

Mar 2, 2024 12:36 am
Erin Brand

arthur12320 says:
"Nice work with that blade back there, where you two after his bounty also?"
Erin jabs her thumb in the direction of Slaine and bitterly replies, "They were hunting him down as a wanted fugitive. I was hunting him down because he murdered my friend and almost murdered more of my friends. I knew nothing of any bounty."

After this, unless she is needed by Slaine or the police, will likely head back to the Celestial Voyager. She wants to let everyone else know that Gabe's killer is dead and she figures she's going to need to help Corbin with the repairs as an extra hand. If she does need to stick around, then she'll give Hank and Corbin a call to let them know.
Last edited March 2, 2024 12:43 am
Mar 2, 2024 5:54 pm
"Thanks. Slaine Rowan, ITC Investigations. I'm part of the reason there was a bounty."

Slaine is going to ask for an official eyewitness report and then let Erin go.

Erin Brand

daryen

Mar 2, 2024 6:13 pm
Erin Brand

Erin willingly provides the requested eyewitness report with no complaint and heads back to the ship.

She figures she's "overdressed" to wander about so, even if she is going to go out on the town, she's got to change first.
Last edited March 2, 2024 6:14 pm
Mar 3, 2024 12:29 am
Morgan walks over to the chief and stands his hand to shake

"would have liked to meet you again in calmer circumstances, but at least the threat is taken care of"

Morgan will try not to be too forward, but when he sees the moment is right, he will ask how to go about claiming the bounty (if he still has a claim to it that is).
Mar 3, 2024 1:01 am
OOC:
arthur12320 says:
Morgan will try not to be too forward, but when he sees the moment is right, he will ask how to go about claiming the bounty (if he still has a claim to it that is).
I figure Morgan's got at least a 1/3 claim on it, maybe even 1/2 (if Slaine is disqualified due to being the source of the bounty). And if Erin's association with Slaine disqualifies her, too, then he gets the full claim. So, yeah, go for it!
Mar 3, 2024 1:28 am
It's either too much drudgery or too much excitement in tur ITC.
Of course, I'll make sure to get your bounty report filed with all the rest of the paperwork I have to do for... All this...
If you want to head to the office with me we may get it to you today.
No promises though.
OOC:
I think Slaine is very disqualified, as it's their job. I don't know if Erin would be valid for a claim, or try for it.
Last edited March 3, 2024 1:34 am

Erin Brand

daryen

Mar 3, 2024 1:31 am
Erin Brand
OOC:
Erin was in it for the revenge, not the money. But ... if there is money to be made for the revenge, she is not going to turn it down. Since this is all happening before she could head out, she'll definitely see how it goes and if she's eligible, too.
Last edited March 3, 2024 1:32 am
Mar 3, 2024 8:40 pm
"thanks! And of course, let’s go, I can file my report of what happened also if needed, but I think everything I saw, that guy saw too."

Morgan points at the police drone that arrived with him. He goes with Slaine and when able he will try to change back into normal clothes, and store his gear and weapon in his bag
OOC:
Morgan has no problem sharing with everyone.
Mar 3, 2024 9:45 pm
OOC:
Can we handwaved travel time and paperwork?
I think Slaine's next Todo is an autopsy, or two.
I don't know if Slaine would try to get into the tech, may try to use an ITC ally to do that?
If there isn't one available they may approach Hank to see if he can help?
Last edited March 3, 2024 9:47 pm
Mar 3, 2024 11:48 pm
OOC:
I wouldn't mind skipping the paperwork
Mar 4, 2024 4:45 pm
Quote:
Morgan walks over to the chief and stands his hand to shake

"would have liked to meet you again in calmer circumstances, but at least the threat is taken care of"
Chief Inspector Trent accepted Morgan's handshake with a firm grip, acknowledging the sentiment. "Likewise, Morgan. It's unfortunate that we meet again under these circumstances, but I'm grateful for your assistance in apprehending Hernandez."

Trent then turned to Slaine and started discussing how they would proceed. Morgan waited for the opportune moment to broach the topic of claiming the bounty. When the conversation naturally shifted to logistical matters, he seized the opportunity to inquire about the process.

"Chief Trent, I understand that there was a bounty on Alfredo Hernandez," Morgan began, choosing his words carefully. "I was wondering how I could go about claiming it."

Chief Inspector Trent nodded in understanding. "Of course, Morgan. The bounty will be processed through the proper channels. You and Erin both played instrumental roles in apprehending Hernandez, so you'll both receive compensation for your efforts."

He motioned for one of the officers to bring over the necessary paperwork. After a brief exchange of information and signatures, both from him and from Slaine, the details of the bounty claim were finalized.

"Here you go," Chief Inspector Trent said, handing Morgan the completed paperwork. "You and Erin will each receive 2,500 credits as a reward for your contributions."

Morgan nodded in appreciation, accepting the paperwork with gratitude. "Thank you, Chief Trent. I appreciate your assistance in this matter."

Trade Era 1235, Day 138. 10:15 UTC

Morgue, Postal Authority Orbital Stion, Draco III

As Slaine began the autopsy of Alfredo Hernandez, they approached the task with meticulous attention to detail, their skilled hands working with precision as they carefully examined the body for any signs of trauma or anomalies.

With each incision, Slaine's trained eyes scrutinized the internal organs, searching for clues that could shed light on Alfredo's true nature and the motivations behind his actions. However, as they meticulously examined each organ, they found no evidence of cybernetic enhancements or artificial implants.

After thorough examination, it became clear that Alfredo Hernandez was indeed a regular human, devoid of any unusual augmentations or enhancements. Despite initial suspicions, there was no indication that he was a bio-synth.

As Slaine processed this revelation, their thoughts turned to the other individual involved in the altercation—the man who had accompanied Alfredo to the warehouse. With renewed focus, Slaine turned their attention to the second body, determined to uncover any clues that could explain the station. They observed some strange cybernetic implants in the man's brain.

With careful precision, Slaine dissected the body, their expertise guiding them as they meticulously examined each implant and its placement within the brain. What they discovered was both intriguing and concerning—a network of cybernetic implants woven into the man's neural pathways, suggesting a level of technological augmentation far beyond the norm.

As Slaine meticulously documented their findings, their mind raced with questions. Who was this man, and what had led him to undergo such extensive cybernetic enhancements? What connection did he have to Alfredo Hernandez, and what role had he played in the events that had unfolded? Was he a bio-synth or just a cybernetic enhanced human?

Either way, Slaine also received the preliminary decryption and report of the dataslab contents from an ITC tech. The encrypted files were basically contact information and a couple of electronic transfers and mail.

Among the numerous contacts stored in the dataslab, Slaine's attention was drawn to several key entries that stood out from the rest. One such contact was the deceased man who had accompanied Alfredo to the warehouse, confirming their suspicions of a connection between the two individuals.

But it was the other contacts that intrigued Slaine the most—the ones related to a synth rights group in Eclipse that they already investigated, a synth brain company in Draco I, and a shipping company in New Jordan linking the two companies together. As Slaine delved deeper into the contacts in New Jordan, they began to piece together a complex network of individuals and entities spanning various sectors of society. From influential politicians and corporate executives to grassroots activists and underground organizations, the contacts painted a vivid portrait of the diverse and interconnected fabric of life in the bustling sector capital.

With a sense of urgency, Slaine made note of these key contacts, recognizing the importance of further investigation there. Slaine knew that delving deeper into these connections would be crucial in unraveling the full extent of Alfredo's motivations and uncovering any hidden agendas that may have been at play.

The electronic transfers and communications, on the other hand, also revealed a disturbing pattern, suggesting that Alfredo had been coerced or manipulated into donating genetic material to an enigmatic organization or individual with nefarious intentions. The evidence painted a chilling picture of a clandestine operation aimed at building bio-synths with psionic powers, a prospect that sent shivers down Slaine's spine.

Bio-synths, synthetic organisms designed to mimic and sometimes surpass human capabilities, were already a subject of debate and controversy due to their potential for misuse and ethical implications. However, the addition of psionic powers introduced a whole new level of complexity and danger.

With the evidence pointing towards New Jordan as the epicenter of the sinister plot involving bio-synths with psionic powers, Slaine felt a growing sense of urgency to travel to the sector capital and uncover the truth hidden within its shadowy depths.

htech sent a note to PhoenixScientist
load next

Thread locked