Chapter 4D: To acquire an asset

load previous
Mar 5, 2024 10:15 pm
htech says:
OOC:
So, I’m just waiting for Mercer’s answer now, to end this thread
OOC:
sorry, I lost this and what the question was in the thread. What am I answering?
Mar 5, 2024 10:48 pm
htech says:
As soon as he confirmed his agreement, Mercer received a notification indicating that Stellar Express would begin his evaluation and background check. True to their reputation for thoroughness and professionalism, the process would ensure that only the most qualified candidates were entrusted with the task of safeguarding the precious cargo.

Over the next few days, Stellar Express conducted a meticulous background check, verifying Mercer's credentials, past assignments, and references. Despite his confidence in his abilities, Mercer couldn't help but feel a twinge of nerves as he awaited the results.
OOC:
Please describe the results from that background check. Tell us more about Mercer and his professional history. Of course, he was approved, no need to roll. But why? How? Did he bribe someone?
Mar 6, 2024 6:10 am
Mercer knew what the background check would show, but there was always a twinge of nervousness. Having once had a criminal record and having it expunged will do that.
Trading information and allowing the cops to use you as bait can have some good benefits.
But that doesn't mean there isn't anyone that can find the records, but you have to be pretty high up to find restricted records..
Other than that it's just traveling, guarding and trading. Always keeping his end of the deal and doing good work. .. well work to the best of his ability. Not everything goes perfect always, but he always does what he can.
Now Mercer is moving up from the street thug life he started as and is trying to become a genuine trader.
Mar 6, 2024 9:41 am
OOC:
Quote:
For the software, I am expecting a full factory reset to take care of most of that.
It does.
Quote:
And if we can't tell the difference, we're gonna have to guard against the latter scenario.
You can't tell the difference by looking at the code and process. It is like a neural network, the experience (inputs) also matter. Imagine this is like Star Wars droids. They sometimes develop skills, traits and quirks that can or cannot be beneficial. Or maybe Alfredo changed them. Or maybe even talked to them and convinced them of something. Periodic wipes can prevent all that.

Hank and Corbin can talk to them and decide, if you wanna. Or preemptively wipe and go on with business as usual. Things can go wrong with a wipe and the diagnostics can miss things. I will roll Fix DC8 for each hardware diagnostic in secret and will let you roll another Fix DC8 for each wipe in the open. Just tell me if/for what to roll.

Valeria will support you either way, but she doesn't like to deal with the Synths. She always left that for Corbin and Gabe previously.
Mar 6, 2024 1:35 pm
"Hank, I hear all of your concerns. I've read the discussion on the possibility of synth evolution back in school. Periodic synth wipes are common in a lot of places, we've been a little lax because we're a small ship and we keep them down during normal hours. Right now, they are a large portion of our crew, and within 24 hours of whatever Alfredo was blowing up the ship and killing Gabe, I've got a synth that wants to go check out the shopping mall." Corbin pauses to check over the shuttle readings as they move closer to the Voyager.

"Bottom line, with all the crap on our plates, preforming a standard wipe removes a possible problem with minimal effort and it'll help get repairs done faster."
Mar 6, 2024 2:23 pm
Hank sighs. He replies, "I understand. Go ahead and do it for all four."
Mar 6, 2024 2:44 pm
OOC:
Okay. To proceed, gimme those Fix DC8 rolls to wipe.

One for Synth-Alpha - James. Another for Synth-Beta or Kelly, another for Synth-Gamma or Lewis, and the last one for Synth-Delta or Mary. If you wanna hardware diagnostics just let me know and I will roll it for you.
Mar 6, 2024 2:50 pm
OOC:
Given Hank's Fix skill, this is all on Corbin. :-)
Mar 6, 2024 4:39 pm
OOC:
Here we go.

Rolls

Fix: Alpha - (4d6h2+3)

(1431) + 3 = 10

Fix: Beta - (4d6h2+3)

(2641) + 3 = 13

Fix: Gamma - (4d6h2+3)

(6665) + 3 = 15

Fix: Delta - (4d6h2+3)

(1253) + 3 = 11

Synths

htech

Mar 6, 2024 5:00 pm
A couple of hours later, back in the engineering bay, Corbin started the process. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was necessary for the safety and efficiency of the ship.

"Initiating synth memory wipe procedure," Corbin announced, his voice firm and resolute. He pressed a button and recalled all Synths to their hibernation pods.

Hank watched as Corbin accessed the ship's control panel, initiating the sequence to wipe the memories of all Synths aboard. It was a routine procedure, but the weight of the moment hung heavy in the air.

One by one, the Synths powered down, their lights dimming as their memories were erased. It was a somber sight, knowing that they were essentially resetting these artificial beings to factory settings.

"I'll monitor their behavior closely from now on," Corbin reassured Hank, his voice tinged with determination. "And if any issues arise, we'll address them immediately."

A few hours later, the Synths were back at work, their usual behavior restored. And the crew resumed their duties.
OOC:
End of thread. We will soon start Chapter 5, a couple of in game weeks later, after the repairs, the space battle (Chapter 4B) and Morgan's + NPC medic application (Chapter 4C)
Synths

Thread locked