Lightning in a Bottle (OOC)

load previous
Apr 1, 2024 6:14 pm
I added it as an edit. Got a ... five ... :: cough, cough ::
Apr 1, 2024 6:30 pm
karabooo says:
... Got a ... five ... :: cough, cough ::
Don't do that, you need to learn to roll better. :)
It was a 'Stealth' type roll so the Stealth Skill applies, you can not fail outright, but you are also trying to set a largish metal trap with only one hand, and right in front of the thing, so...

Succeeding will cost you something. There are two sacrifices that come to my mind right away:

• Either you lose the knife, maybe toss it away and hope the mistling follows its arc to give you the distraction. (This leave you without the protection of that iron. Unless you can find it again.)

• Or (and it may not be thing your character thinks of or does deliberately as she does not have all the details) you indulge its desire for blood and give it a little.
  · Maybe you get a minor cut from the trap (`1d3-2`);
  · or you allow yourself to 'Scratch', possibly drawing blood and ticking your 'Scratched' Clock, but also possibly —on a good roll— not having any cost and maybe learning something.

What do you think?
Apr 1, 2024 7:08 pm
Scratching enough to draw blood would be difficult with both hands full. I think it would be most realistic for Ezmaray to cut herself on the trap in her hurry.
Apr 1, 2024 7:13 pm
Might be tricky, but you could sheath the knife long enough to scratch, that way you don't lose it and can easily draw it again. Options abound. :)
Apr 1, 2024 7:14 pm
Did I .. uh... do that right with the finger damage? -2 or +2?
Apr 1, 2024 7:14 pm
... or even use the hand setting the trap to scratch, holing it with just your foot.
Apr 1, 2024 7:16 pm
karabooo says:
Did I .. uh... do that right with the finger damage? -2 or +2?
Yep, only 1 point, could even have been 0 (though not less than that, of course, it can not heal you:).

There is more at play here than HP loss.
Apr 1, 2024 7:18 pm
Ope. You totes wanted me to scratch, didn't you. lol. Sorry!
Apr 1, 2024 7:22 pm
Not at all, they both about the same in terms of 'consequences'. I can work with either. No worries. :)
Apr 1, 2024 7:48 pm
For the record, 330 conibear traps don't have teeth. They operate more like a mouse trap, capturing/killing prey with their strong snap. The creature must pass through the rectangular wire-framed opening of the trap to trigger the trap and be captured within it (though, conveniently, a clever trapper can trigger the trap and make it close without getting themselves caught). If a trapper does get a limb caught, this can lead to a broken digit if very unlucky. Usually it's not so bad.
Apr 1, 2024 8:40 pm
Quote:
::Taps fingers together:: ... It appears I'll have to work on that one....
Apr 1, 2024 8:48 pm
karabooo says:
For the record, 330 conibear traps don't have teeth. ...
It bit you, it must have teeth! :)

But, Ha. There is irony in my misunderstanding exactly what they are, but I can't talk about it till we resolve the Shireen situation. :)
Apr 1, 2024 8:49 pm
karabooo says:
Quote:
::Taps fingers together:: ... It appears I'll have to work on that one....
5 ... is not better than 5. Do better, I said! :)
karabooo says:
... Survival/Dex check to catch creature ...
I am not convinced that this is 'Survival'. Just because it involves a trap and something to put in the trap does really count when you are using it in a nonstandard way.
karabooo says:
... Her objective: to trap the creature without killing it. ...
That part could be Survival related, we can say that you succeed at not killing it. Fair?
Apr 1, 2024 8:50 pm
Fair, enough!
Apr 2, 2024 11:30 am
Quote:
Who shall rescue the rescuer? :)
Who, indeed? "ROALD!!"
Apr 2, 2024 12:48 pm
karabooo says:
Quote:
Who shall rescue the rescuer? :)
Who, indeed? "ROALD!!"
Yeah. Not sure you want to put all your eggs in that basket. :)
Airshark says:
in RP ... He pauses for a moment to overthink the situation.
Airshark, this mist seems to be messing with people's ability to roll. I didn't know it could have such meta effects. :)

A common image is of one scratching their head when they pause to think, so scratching is an obvious consequence for that miss, but that can get boring.

Maybe we get Albert back today, I say we wait and see what they are doing, then work this out.
Airshark says:
(in RP)... '' EZMEEE!''
Seems like you are shouting this out very loud? Is that true? If so, Ezme may hear you (though so will anything else).

Let's still wait and see about Albert before we resolve this, it might link into the 6-.
Apr 2, 2024 12:59 pm
OOC:
Yeah. Not sure you want to put all your eggs in that basket. :)
Oh, no. I was joking about us having to rescue Roald now!
Apr 2, 2024 1:02 pm
That seems more likely. :)
Apr 2, 2024 3:12 pm
vagueGM says:
Let's still wait and see about Albert before we resolve this, it might link into the 6-.
I'm gonna post in a few hours. I have more catching up to do than I had hoped for 😅.
Apr 2, 2024 3:15 pm
No worries.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.