Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
Jul 8, 2024 2:53 pm
daryen says:

1) Yes, we are this mercenary. In fact, Hank offered to skip the whole thing if we wanted to, but that opening was completely ignored by everyone.
OOC:
Yeah, *I* know that. Douklan, however, is coming from a very different background - the military - with completely different objectives. I'm trying to play the culture shock, in part to explain why he's being so passive.
Jul 8, 2024 3:06 pm
As the shuttle lifts off, Douklan climbs back onto the grav sled. "Climb aboard - we may as well get started."

As Douklan steers back toward the final drive part, he asks the others: "So I'm still wrapping my head around how your crew works. Below the Captain, what's the hierarchy? Are there officers who are put in charge of missions like this, or is everybody a civilian and gets assigned authority on a case-by-case basis?"

Rolls

Piloting - (2d6+3)

(22) + 3 = 7

Erin Brand

htech

Jul 8, 2024 4:16 pm
Erin Brand
Quote:
"So I'm still wrapping my head around how your crew works. Below the Captain, what's the hierarchy? Are there officers who are put in charge of missions like this, or is everybody a civilian and gets assigned authority on a case-by-case basis?"
"We are not actually organized for missions like these" - said Erin - "The Celestial Voyager was a trading ship. In space, the department heads are responsible for the ship's functions but we never had ground missions or had to face monsters or enemies. If we wanna keep doing those missions, the logical next step would be to organize ourselves as a Mercenary Company as well, with standardized training, equipment, squads and stuff like that, but we never got into it. What do you think about this, Mercer?"
Jul 8, 2024 4:38 pm
"These sorts of jobs can be real rewarding. I would be interested in more of the opportunity is there.
We could benefit from some team training regardless though.We can react to any surprises more confidently and flexibly."
Jul 8, 2024 10:50 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 20:10 UTC
Underworld, Zyronis

The underground tunnels of Zyronis stretched endlessly before them, a labyrinthine network able to bewilder even the most seasoned inhabitants. Shrouded in pitch-black darkness after the major incident in the electrical substation, the team moved with heightened caution, aware that danger lurked in every shadow.

Douklan piloted the gravsled with precision, his eyes fixed on the glowing console that guided their path. The final segment of the spike drive core lay secured behind him, a lucrative opportunity that could change their fortunes. Corbin, riding the hovercycle, flanked the sled, his vigilant gaze sweeping the dark expanse.

Suddenly, a low hum began to build around them, a thrumming that grew in intensity. Lights flickered overhead, casting harsh, intermittent illumination that revealed the true scale of the tunnels. Rusted support beams, graffiti-scrawled walls, and debris-strewn floors came into stark relief.

"The power's coming back. I am hearing something" Peter muttered. "We need to hurry."

Douklan increased the gravsled's speed, the vehicle gliding smoothly over the city's terrain. The hovercycle followed suit, its engines purring as Corbin adjusted their trajectory.
As they sped through the tunnel, the oppressive darkness retreated, replaced by a harsh, artificial brightness. The sudden transition was disorienting, and Douklan squinted against the glare, his grip tightening on the controls. Something or someone repaired the electrical substation.

As they rounded a bend, a squad of 18 drones hovered in the tunnel, their blue lights blinking as they moved around.

"Maintenance drones," Mercer noticed, his voice relieved. "They don't seem to care about us."

Peter relaxed slightly, but his eyes remained vigilant. They passed the drones without incident, the machines parting to allow them through.

Finally, they could see the shuttle. Douklan guided the gravsled toward the ship, Corbin close behind. The journey had been fraught with peril, but they were almost home free. As they neared the Solaris, the ship's ramp extended, welcoming them back.

They boarded quickly, securing the final piece of the spike drive core in the cargo hold. Jil was there to greet them, her face a mix of relief and pride.

"Good work, team," she said. "Let's get out of here."

As the Solaris lifted off, leaving the chaos of Zyronis behind, the crew allowed themselves a moment of respite. They had recovered all parts of the spike drive core, and though challenges surely awaited them, for now, they had won a hard-fought victory.
OOC:
The dice were very generous with you. The lower odds were for the repairs but you even got it at the end. I didn't expect that. Anyway, the dice gods surprised the GM. That's their purpose. =)
End of Chapter

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Mercer Canaan Furio: Notice - Usual roll - (2D6+1)

(43) + 1 = 8

Jul 8, 2024 11:41 pm
OOC:
Thanks to the dice gods, the giveth and taketh away.
That was a good chapter, I liked it.
Thanks.

Thread locked