Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
Jul 1, 2024 8:11 pm
"Yes. But first, I need access to your current stellar cartography and metaspace routes to translate the coordinates. Regarding your Synth, it's simple electronic brain will be removed, and my quantum memory core installed. This fabulously complex artifact is roughly the size of a man’s fist and appears to be a transparent, diamond-like stone that glows with a soft inner light.

After this quick replacement, its shell will have evolved into an adequate armature for me. It will cease to exist, forever. But you will have me in its place. I am sentient, it is not."
Jul 2, 2024 4:24 am
OOC:
Technically ... James is very much sentient. He is very self-aware. What is in debate is whether he is sapient. By expectation and what should be possible, Peter is not sapient. However, his actions, even after the reset, would cast that assumption into doubt.

Hank pulls out his dataslab, copies the requested information onto a removable storage device, then puts that into the control panel so VIREN can access it.

"This store should have the base information you need to see the current stellar situation.

On the matter of using the synth's body, is it not possible to preserve that electronic brain, such that it can be restored in a different synth body?"

Hank wants to talk with Corbin where this thing can't hear us. He's got some concerns.
OOC:
As an aside, can we see where this fabulous memory core is right now? Or is it hidden somewhere?
Last edited July 2, 2024 4:25 am
Jul 2, 2024 6:20 am
OOC:
Oh, I (the GM) am aware of sentient x sapient. I believe you had a typo and put Peter instead of James there. =)

Anyway, VIREN said that on purpose. You could RP with they later about this.
Quote:
"This store should have the base information you need to see the current stellar situation."
"Indeed it has. Thank you. My destination would be in the Pandora's Veil sector, in a star located a jump-5 away from the system you currently call Altairia. Using this frigate drive and my navigation capabilities, we would be able to finish my mission. An alliance is really the preferred solution and I am willing to cooperate."
Quote:
On the matter of using the synth's body, is it not possible to preserve that electronic brain, such that it can be restored in a different synth body?
"No. Much like yours, its primitive artificial life form is inexorably tied to its body. I am an evolved intelligence, free to assume new and multiple forms, but if we remove its brain now, even if we reinstall it later, it will be 'another robot'. I assume your civilization is able to create another one from scratch and you're attached to this specific individual, so this preservation effort would be pointless.

An alternative solution would involve bringing back my robotic guards and waiting for me to adapt them. This will take considerably longer, hours instead of minutes. I fear there is a non-negligible possibility, in this scenario, that human barriers will fall under the arachnid threat and we will be surrounded. All power in this area is strangely offline. I've tried contacting my human neighbors to restore it, but they are unresponsive. Time is of the essence, we need to flee."
OOC:
Quote:
As an aside, can we see where this fabulous memory core is right now? Or is it hidden somewhere?
Nope. It is very well hidden. It's like a fantasy RPG lich phylacterie. It's their "soul".
Jul 2, 2024 12:28 pm
"No offense guys, but I'm against taking a Zyronis AI and giving it a body. Plenty of life ending Holovids start that way."
Jul 2, 2024 3:42 pm
OOC:
Yes, I meant James, not Peter. Though Peter is sentient, too. :-)

OK, so the AI is trying to screw with me. Not a good start.

Also, arachnid threat? Not a promising development.

Finally, let's not let on that we are the reason the power is out and we probably just killed his "human neighbors". In fact, this is a huge problem. If he were to get James's body and see the bodies (both the AI's attackers AND his neighbors), this would be bad. We have bigger issues here.

So, since he's screwing with us, time to turn the tables ...
"What arachnid threat? We've see a couple cyborg apes and several cyborg rats of unusual size. What are these arachnids?"

AFTER he gets the answer to that (or doesn't get the answer to that), Hank will flip the "negotiations".

"No. Here's our offer. Release the security around the drive and provide us with your fabulously complex quantum memory core. We will take both back to safety and we will get you a new body that doesn't require sacrificing our 'primitive synth' or installing you in a murder-bot."
Jul 2, 2024 11:06 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 15:55 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

Quote:
"What arachnid threat? We've see a couple cyborg apes and several cyborg rats of unusual size. What are these arachnids?"
VIREN's holographic form flickered as it projected an image of a towering creature, its black carapace glistening ominously. "The arachnids are warrior bugs, each standing ten feet tall. They are part of a hive mind, highly coordinated and ruthless. They possess formidable strength and agility, equipped with natural armor and lethal appendages designed for combat. Their hive mentality makes them relentless in pursuit and devastating in numbers. If we are surrounded, they will overwhelm any defensive measures we can employ. We must act swiftly to avoid this scenario."

https://i.imgur.com/hO1xcZO.jpeg
Quote:
"No. Here's our offer. Release the security around the drive and provide us with your fabulously complex quantum memory core. We will take both back to safety and we will get you a new body that doesn't require sacrificing our 'primitive synth' or installing you in a murder-bot."
VIREN hesitated, the glow in its eyes flickering as it processed Hank's ultimatum. The room was silent, the tension palpable as the team awaited its response.

"Very well," VIREN finally said, its tone resigned but calculating. "I will release the security around the drive and provide you with my quantum memory core. Ensure my core's safety and secure a suitable new body for me, please. This agreement is acceptable, but only under the current circumstances."

The clamps securing the hyperspace drive released with a hiss, and a compartment nearby opened, revealing the glowing, diamond-like quantum memory core. VIREN's holographic form disappeared.
OOC:
What do you do?
Jul 2, 2024 11:31 pm
Mercer is going to do whatever is needed to help secure the drive and fulfill the agreement, though he doesn't have the technical knowledge to head up the effort.
Jul 3, 2024 3:28 am
Hank says, "He wasn't lying guys. Pack that drive and let's get out of here! We have to go now! Corbin, what do we need to do to get this thing on the sled so we can go?"

Hank then picks up the quantum memory core and carefully stores it.
Jul 3, 2024 12:33 pm
OOC:
I'm going to assume that some of the tools and equipment used for maintenance and replacement of a drive core are installed in the room, since bringing that gear on and off of a working ship would be prohibitive.
Corbin walks into the room and assesses the drive and surrounding equipment. "Come on James, let's get this thing unhooked and lifted out of here."

Rolls

[SWN] Corbin McRogers: Fix - (4d6h2+3)

(5565) + 3 = 14

Jul 3, 2024 1:25 pm
Hank also says, "Peter, Douklan, go do a quick look around to make sure we don't have any visitors yet. No reason to get trapped here with no way out. Stick together. Don't go too far."
Jul 3, 2024 2:31 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 15:57 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

Corbin walked into the room, his eyes scanning the drive and the surrounding equipment. "Come on, James. Let's get this thing unhooked and lifted out of here."

The core drive was a massive piece of technology, weighing almost 24 tons. It would take careful planning and coordination to move it. The Solaris could carry 10 tons in a single trip, and the sled could handle 8 tons. They would need to split the drive into three parts, each weighing around 8 tons.

Corbin approached the drive, assessing the best way to split it. He motioned for James to join him. "James, we'll need to disconnect the power conduits and secure the clamps before we can start splitting the drive. Let's get to it."

James nodded, his servos whirring softly as he moved to assist. The two of them worked in tandem, with Corbin directing the process and James using his precise mechanical strength to handle the more delicate tasks. Slowly but surely, they began to divide the drive into manageable sections.
OOC:
Corbin was successful, with the roll of 14 above.
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 16:23 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

"First part's ready," Corbin said after a while, wiping the sweat from his brow. "Let's get this one prepped for transport."

He and James carefully moved the first 8-ton section onto the sled, securing it tightly with magnetic clamps. Corbin then turned his attention back to the remaining sections, beginning the meticulous work of splitting the second part.

As they worked, Hank stood nearby, thinking through the logistics of their next steps. He knew they had two main options: either wait for Corbin and James to finish splitting the drive entirely or start transporting the first section to the Solaris immediately. He mulled over the pros and cons of each choice.

If they waited, they could give cover and protect Corbin and then move all three parts in quick succession. This would reduce the time with a split group, but it would also mean staying longer in a potentially dangerous area. The arachnid threat loomed large in Hank's mind, and every moment they lingered increased the risk of an encounter. On the other hand, if they began the first trip immediately, they could start securing the drive piece by piece. This would allow them to minimize the time in the open, but it would mean periodic trips and significant time with just part of the crew navigating the hazardous route back to the Solaris.

Once they reached the Solaris, they had another decision to make: store the drive on the planet's surface in a safe place and call for the cargo lighter to pick all 24 tons at once or take it into orbit and get back. Storing it on the surface would be faster and less resource-intensive, but it might not be as secure. Taking it into orbit would provide the highest level of security, but it would also be more time-consuming and risky, especially with the arachnid threat potentially closing in.
OOC:
What's the plan?

Rolls

Time spent - (1d20+10)

(16) + 10 = 26

Hank Heron: Administer DC6 - (3d6h2+1+1)

(526) + 2 = 13

Jul 3, 2024 3:39 pm
OOC:
Crap. Three trips? That's not great.

We're gonna violate The Rules and split the party, unfortunately. That seems to be the most efficient. How many people can fit on the gravsled while carrying one of the drive components?
Hank contacts the shuttle and asks if they have communication with the ship. Also, he needs them to get in contact with RB and see if their shuttle is working yet. He warns them they are going to be doing some ferrying work to get this all moved. Again, this will help if we can get the other shuttle involved, too.

Also, do we have a grav sled or something similar back on the ship? Having a second sled would help immensely. That would effectively make it only two trips. Hank will involve Erin on the second and (if needed) third run, too, for additional protection.
Jul 3, 2024 4:35 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 16:24 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

Following Hank’s orders, Erin adjusted the comms panel in the shuttle's cockpit with practiced ease. The hum of the machinery and the low chatter of the Celestial Voyager’s status reports in the crew’s channel provided a familiar backdrop. With a final tap, she opened the channel to Maya’s shuttle, making sure to patch the communication so Hank and the away team could also hear it.

Erin Brand
"RB, this is Erin. Have you completed the repairs?" she asked, her voice tinged with anticipation

RB (Repair Bot)
A burst of static preceded RB's reply, its synthesized voice carrying a distinct note of pride. "Ah, Erin. Your inquiry comes at the perfect moment. Indeed, the shuttle is fully operational. Repairs completed ahead of schedule, as expected. I must say, my work on this vessel is nothing short of exemplary, even by my high standards."

Maya Chen
Just then, another voice crackled through the comms, softer and more emotional. "RB, it's Maya. I’m so glad to hear you're up and running again. We were worried about you."

There was a brief pause, as if RB was processing the unexpected voice. When it spoke again, its tone softened, a rare occurrence. "Maya, it's a relief to hear from you. I must admit, the shuttle felt quite empty without your presence. Are you and the rest of the crew safe?"

Maya took a deep breath, her voice trembling slightly as she replied, "RB… Jax, Luca, and Elena... they didn't make it. It 's just me now."

For a moment, there was only silence on the other end. Then RB’s voice returned, its confident tone replaced by a rare note of solemnity. "Maya, I am deeply sorry to hear that. Jax, Luca, and Elena were invaluable members of our team. Their loss is profound."

"Thank you, RB," Maya said quietly. "We’ve been through a lot. Any major setbacks?"

RB’s confidence returned immediately. "Setbacks? My dear, I do not experience setbacks, only challenges to overcome. The shuttle is in prime condition. I've conducted a thorough inspection and made several improvements. It’s practically reborn under my expert care."

Erin suppressed a chuckle. "RB, your humility is showing."

Maya's voice carried a smile, though it was tinged with sadness. "That’s our RB. Always making sure everything runs perfectly. We’ll be there soon. Anything we should know before we get back?"

"Nothing significant," RB said, "though I must inform you that our human friends have taken some stuff and swapped out a few A-cells. They assured me that everything will be returned upon your reunion. They’ve also taken the liberty to get supplies to assist you, considering the circumstances."

Maya nodded. "We’ll make sure to get everything back in order. RB, you’ve done great work. We'll see you soon."

"Indeed you will," RB replied. "I eagerly await your return. All systems are functioning at peak efficiency. We can take off whenever you're ready."
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 16:25 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

"Erin, can we reach the Celestial Voyager?" Hank asked, after RB closed the comms.

"Yes, we can," Erin replied. "They've been holding position, waiting for any sign of us. I'll get the coordinates for a rendezvous. Would you like me to patch you through to the Captain?"
OOC:
Quote:
How many people can fit on the gravsled while carrying one of the drive components?
Up to 3. But you have the bikes, so more can follow along.
Quote:
Also, do we have a grav sled or something similar back on the ship?
Nope. You didn't buy any - the original rescue mission didn't ask for it.

I would like all the players to answer (not necessarily Esidrix, as he doesn't have a decision to make... yet):
What do you do? Who is going and who is staying with Corbin and James?
Jul 3, 2024 4:44 pm
If we're splitting up, I think I'd be best suited to stay behind and help keep this area secure....
Are we having anyone stay with Maya and the ships to secure the LZ and drive sections there?
What if we had the ships wait in the shaft to the surface? They would be closer, but not prone to attacks from ground threats?
Jul 3, 2024 6:28 pm
OOC:
Does anyone have pilot, in addition to Douklan, Hank, and Corbin?
Hank is thinking that Hank, Peter, and Maya go to the shuttle, with Mercer, Douklan, Corbin, and James staying. The three leaving will take the sled only, leaving the bikes for an emergency evacuation if needed. It sounds like RB can pilot. In that case, we can have RB move their shuttle down to meet with ours. We load the parts on our shuttle and send Jil up to unload them quickly.

Then Hank, Erin, and Peter take the sled back to get the second load. Everyone comes back with the second load. We load that onto Maya's shuttle and send them up to our ship while most of us head back for the last load. By then Jil will be back waiting for us to bring the last load back.

That seems like the fastest we can get this done, and allows the ones left behind the ability to flee quickly if needed. The second and third trips will also bring Erin along for extra firepower. That does leave the last section unguarded while delivering the second section.

Hank is quite eager to hear better plans.

So, we are only splitting the party at the very first trip and that cuts our time down.

EDIT: if possible, we will also load Maya's fallen companions on the first load to get them out onto Maya's shuttle.
Last edited July 3, 2024 6:31 pm
Jul 3, 2024 6:38 pm
OOC:
Quote:
It sounds like RB can pilot. In that case, we can have RB move their shuttle down to meet with ours.
Oh, RB can pilot:
https://i.imgur.com/XEfEeuo.png
The odds are ok, the DC is 6, but unlike with you, I will have to roll 2d6 for it, though...
https://i.imgur.com/CswFANr.png
Quote:
EDIT: if possible, we will also load Maya's fallen companions on the first load to get them out onto Maya's shuttle.
EDIT: Sure, it's possible.
Jul 3, 2024 7:32 pm
OOC:
Other than to add, "Set up our heavy gun for the engineer team", nothing to add.
Though I think a good plan is to roll better than the GM (/jk)
Jul 3, 2024 8:22 pm
OOC:
LOL!

OK ... That means RB can NOT fly the shuttle. Good to know! In that case RB will stay right where he is and Hank will fly it back to the loading spot after being dropped off by Jill as she heads up with the first load. Thank goodness we're just work-shopping here!

But that is, indeed, a pair of hilarious pictures. They are great!
Jul 3, 2024 10:57 pm
OOC:
Okay. @spaceseeker19,@Esidrix,@arthur12320 if you agree to Hank's plan a couple of messages above, I will move on to the next scene, with the unloading.

Edit: Take your time and feel free to do something else in our current scene, if you want to. There were a lot of posts today, so, this is just to let you know where we are.
Jul 3, 2024 11:16 pm
OOC:
And again to be clear: this is just what comes to my mind with looking at our situation. If someone has a better plan, I want to use it. If someone has concerns, I want to hear it. This isn't a command; it's just a starting point for ideas.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.