Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
Jun 19, 2024 5:03 pm
"Altough it makes sense anyone in the complex would come here to check on the power outtage, i would assume no one would come towards gunfire."

while still thinking of what could be on the other side he hears Douklan question Hank.
Quote:
Hank, when you were in the system earlier, accessing the data about the complex, did you see anything about the living quarters? Power drain, activity, camera feeds, anything? The door to that section is locked.
"I was wondering the same, did you unlock it when we got here?

Noticing he seems to have some down time, Peter will change to fresh batteries in his suit, and make sure everything else is reloaded and ready to go. He will not leave the door yet while we dont investigate it.

"Mercer, when you finish with the bodies, stay on guard a bit more in that side, we need to investigate this other side a bit."
Last edited June 20, 2024 2:15 am

Maya Chen

htech

Jun 21, 2024 12:17 am
Maya Chen
Quote:
We scanned the first and it was loaded with nanites. I imagine the second was, too. So, things will likely require more than supplements to fix. But, we'll have to get back for it to all be a problem. You'll probably want to do another scan in a while to see how fast things are changing.
"You mean nanites like in those science fiction movies. That's unusual, to say the least, but okay, I will scan you periodically. Let me also check the remaining crew and myself for those anomalous readings."
OOC:
We will move on after Mercer handle those enemy's bodies.

Is Peter or Douklan trying to open those locked doors? If I understood correctly your messages, you are leaving it as is, right?

Regarding the bikes, Corbin answer is spot on. They're already working and you can use then to reach the Solaris in minutes. 2 people each. We are just missing the gravsled to go to the Drive 4 core, though, as it weights a lot and can't be carried by the bikes.

I will advance the clock by more or less 2 hours while Corbin fixes it when there is nothing else pending.

What do you do?
Jun 21, 2024 12:22 am
OOC:
Honestly it's a conundrum. There are ways to just toss the bodies but that doesn't seem right. We could take them and bury them with the other bodies but I don't think there'd be room.
Jun 21, 2024 12:26 am
OOC:
Not tried to open it yet, but asking more info to Hank before trying
Jun 21, 2024 12:31 am
OOC:
PhoenixScientist says:
Honestly it's a conundrum. There are ways to just toss the bodies but that doesn't seem right. We could take them and bury them with the other bodies but I don't think there'd be room.
The gravsled can carry them, but only until you fill it with the drive core parts. By them you will need all the cargo capacity that you can have. Depending on the dice, it may even need a couple of trips to carry it.

You can also put the bodies on the bikes and take them to the Solaris/Maya's shuttle while Corbin fixes the sled, but that would mean splitting the party.
Jun 21, 2024 1:33 am
OOC:
If the others are amenable to getting them in the gravsled. (Probably wrapped in a tarp or something.) Mercer will prep that.
Jun 22, 2024 8:56 am
Quote:
"I was wondering the same, did you unlock it when we got here?
Hank answers that he didn't. He just unlocked the doors to the control room and maintenance area, to avoid unnecessary tampering and raising suspicions.
OOC:
What do you do?

Rolls

Did he? - (2d6)

(32) = 5

Jun 22, 2024 2:03 pm
OOC:
Sorry I missed the question. Yeah, just opening what was needed makes sense and I'm good with that.

Since we as a team still want that core, we're waiting for James and Corbin to fix the sled. If they reach an impasse, we'll have to figure it out then.

Maya Chen

htech

Jun 23, 2024 11:39 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 14:29 UTC

Electrical Substation DC-45T, Zyronis

Nanites. The word echoed in Maya's mind. It was something straight out of a science fiction movie, yet here it was, their reality. She adjusted her grip on the bioscanner, her mind racing with the implications. If their fallen enemies were laced with nanites, it could mean they were dealing with more than just rogue technology. This could be an engineered threat, something designed to adapt and evolve.

As Peter returned to recharge and Mercer loaded bodies into the gravsled, Maya focused on her task. She set up the bioscanner, motioning for Hank to step forward.

"Let's get this started," she said, her voice all business. The scanner hummed to life, and Maya's eyes flicked across the data as it populated the screen. Her brow furrowed. The same anomalous readings as before. She scanned Hank thoroughly, noting the distribution and concentration of the metals.

"Interesting," she murmured. "The anomalies are present, but the activity levels are relatively low. If these are nanites, they seem to be dormant—for now."

"What about the rest of us?" Mercer asked, stepping forward.

"One at a time," Maya replied. "We'll do a full set of scans and look for patterns. Those in powered suits, I can interface with your armor—you don’t need to take it off."

The crew lined up, each member taking their turn under the scanner. Maya's findings were consistent: the anomalies appeared only in Hank and Mercer. Corbin, now exposed to the planetary atmosphere, showed no signs of contamination.

"We need to figure out what activates these nanites, why you two were infected, and how to neutralize them," Maya said to Hank, her tone resolute. "I can get us some answers in Calypso, Zyronis’s capital city, when we get back. Are you willing to undergo more exams by then?"
OOC:
Continues in my next post
Maya Chen
Jun 23, 2024 11:42 pm
OOC:
Let's keep things moving forward.
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 15:38 UTC

Electrical Substation DC-45T, Zyronis

Corbin wiped the sweat from his brow, his hands grimy with the oil and debris of the dismantled gravsled. He glanced over at James, the android's metallic frame gleaming under the harsh lights of the electrical substation. James’s recommendation about the control room diagnostics lingered in his mind, but there had been no time. The gravsled was their priority.

"It's done," Corbin announced, his voice a blend of relief and exhaustion. He stepped back to admire his handiwork. The gravsled hummed softly, its reassembled parts fitting together seamlessly, now even equipped with a laser rifle. He allowed himself a moment of pride.

But Hank and Douklan were already securing their supplies to the hovercycles, their movements swift and efficient. They had lost too much time already, and with every passing minute, the risk of further encounters with hostile forces increased.

As they prepared to leave, Mercer took a final look around the substation. The bodies of Kyle, Lewis, and Kyra lay in the gravsled, a stark reminder of the violence that had transpired mere moments ago. The irony of their situation wasn't lost on him—they had come to save lives, only to end others in the process. But survival often demanded harsh choices. Ironically, Maya's dead friends were in the same gravsled, just beside them.

"Everyone ready?" Peter's voice broke through Mercer's thoughts.

They all nodded, mounting their respective vehicles. Corbin took the controls of the gravsled while Hank and Douklan piloted the hovercycles. Peter, ever the sentinel, stood guard until the last moment before boarding one of the bikes, with Mercer on the other.

The engines of the hovercycles roared to life, their powerful thrums reverberating through the substation. The gravsled followed suit, lifting smoothly off the ground under Corbin's steady hand. They moved out in formation and, as they exited the substation, the oppressive darkness outside seemed to close in around them.

Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 15:45 UTC

Underworld, Zyronis

Corbin guided the gravsled with precision, its thrusters adjusting to the narrow passages. The hovercycles were near him, their lights piercing through the gloom. They navigated through the maze of walkways and bridges, moving steadily away from the substation while the landscape gradually gave way to a less industrial setting.

Soon, they approached a dimly lit, futuristic chamber north of the dome where they had battled the droids. Here they hoped to find riches - and perhaps some answers. The structure loomed ahead, its architecture a stark contrast to the abandoned space frigate remains nearby.

The crew brought the hovercycles and gravsled to a stop near an entrance ramp. The chamber's automated systems recognized their approach somehow, and the main hatch opened.

Inside, the atmosphere was a blend of cold technology and muted light. The blue glow from the warp drive core bathed the room in an eerie luminescence, casting long shadows across the metallic surfaces. Heavy-duty clamps secured the core, and cables ran from it to a central control panel.
OOC:
What do you do? Are you going in?

Rolls

How long - assembly of the gravsled - (1d60+60)

(38) + 60 = 98

Jun 24, 2024 12:19 am
htech says:

"We need to figure out what activates these nanites, why you two were infected, and how to neutralize them," Maya said to Hank, her tone resolute. "I can get us some answers in Calypso, Zyronis’s capital city, when we get back. Are you willing to undergo more exams by then?"[b]
OOC:
Continues in my next post
[b]"Yeah, we need answers. Just hope they don't cost too much. "
OOC:
is this where we expect the drive?
Jun 24, 2024 8:42 am
OOC:
Quote:
is this where we expect the drive?
You can already see it and its blue glow. =).
Jun 24, 2024 12:29 pm
"We should send someone up to look around, if there are more guards we're better of using the bikes to put some distance between them and then re-evaluate."
Jun 24, 2024 1:03 pm
OOC:
Mercer's sneak and notice are each at +1 total bonus.
Jun 24, 2024 2:55 pm
Back in the discussion of the nanites, Hank offers, "It is probably the apes. Mercer and I were not in sealed suits when we fought the first ape, allowing us the opportunity for infection. The, Mercer and I fought another of the damn things, giving him more exposure. At least it doesn't appear that we are infectious, otherwise you and Corbin would be infected, too."

Once we're at the substation, Hank says, "Peter and Douklan, please scout out the situation. If we need to, we'll quickly fall back. But we need to know if there are other obstacles before we can try to recover the core. Mercer, you can check around, too, if you want, but don't get too exposed."
Jun 24, 2024 5:36 pm
OOC:
Those of you who will scout around, gimme a Notice roll. As always, failure have consequences ;)
Jun 24, 2024 7:30 pm
OOC:
Unless someone wants Mercer to look about I'll not risk the roll. I don't know if rolling and failing is riskier or not trying is.
Jun 24, 2024 9:00 pm
Peter shares a glance with Douklan and gives a quick nod.

"Let’s go ahead of the group and take a look on what lies ahead"

He dismounts the hovercycle he’s mounted and starts making his way in the direction of the entrance, weapon held up and looking around for any probable places where enemies could be hiding.
Last edited June 24, 2024 9:34 pm

Rolls

Peter Morgan: Notice - (2d6)

(62) = 8

Jun 25, 2024 4:28 pm
OOC:
Okay! I will wait for the confirmation from Douklan that he is going with you towards the entrance (or if he will do something else) before describing what happened there.
Jun 27, 2024 1:55 am
Douklan grins, gives a thumb's-up, and proceeds cautiously up the ramp, weapon at the ready.

Rolls

Notice - (2d6+2)

(14) + 2 = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.