Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
May 28, 2024 10:08 pm
OOC:
I would feel better if we rule that all energy weapons can also be used in "Stun mode", like Star Wars, with the flick of a switch. Mechanically, you would use them as usual, but when the target is reduced to 0 hit points, they would be unconscious for 100 rounds (10 minutes) instead of dead. After that, they get 1 hit point back and can function normally.

This way, the "Good Guys" can avoid premeditated murder of human beings. =)

Edit: Unless you really want to kill some specific NPC in the game "by mistake", of course.

May 28, 2024 10:34 pm
OOC:
Quote:
Can he silently override the security system so that it looks clean, but is really just not working?
He can. Just say so In Character. We will roll the dice only when the security system is triggered. Either you will be shot / detected or you won't =)
May 29, 2024 12:27 pm
OOC:
I don't think the energy weapons should have a stun mode. I am all for having a stun-only weapon, but it think that having lasers or plasma projectors able to stun breaks verisimilitude. I'd rather us having remembered we brought a "sonic stunner" weapon or two in addition to our lasers and plasmas. But the could just be me. I'll go either way.

And me asking about the hacking is just to make sure something is possible. I know I have to roll for any of it, but I want to make sure it is worth the roll first.
May 29, 2024 12:30 pm
"That's not my point. Kill or subdue, we can't just talk with the woman or just the men. We have to deal with them simultaneously as they will be able to hear what is happening with the others. And we have to decide fast. I am running out of time."

Hank isn't worried about saving anyone in this group. He believes they directly led to the other group's demise and then stole their equipment. They are not giving that equipment back willingly. If we want that sled and those bikes, we're gonna have to fight. They aren't neutral; they are opponents. And we'll have better odds if we don't warn them we are here before we strike.
Last edited May 29, 2024 12:37 pm
May 29, 2024 2:06 pm
"If I heard right, these guys attacked Maya's group without so much as 'hi ya' and then stole their gear. I'm not sure their interested in conversation."

Maya Chen

htech

May 29, 2024 3:45 pm
Maya Chen
Quote:
"If I heard right, these guys attacked Maya's group without even a 'hi' and then stole her equipment. I'm not sure they're interested in talking."
"Actually, it's more complicated. We came here to loot the abandoned electrical substation of its advanced technology in our way to the Drive-4 core. They claimed they owned the place. Jax disagreed. Strongly. Tempers flared, he was shot in the leg and we had to retreat, abandoning our damaged vehicles in the process. Things got worse from there, but the combat robots were the ones that really killed my friends."
OOC:
What do you do?
May 29, 2024 3:50 pm
it does sound like they might be willing to talk. I think I can do it.
I'm not worried about their lives, just risking ours. I think they can be convinced to give us the gravsled and bikes and let us leave to re-collect the drive.
May 29, 2024 4:02 pm
OOC:
Quote:
I'd rather us having remembered we brought a "sonic stunner" weapon or two in addition to our lasers and plasmas. But the could just be me. I'll go either way.
Works for me. Whatever the group prefers. In that case, the sonic stunner can have the same stats as a Laser Rifle or Void Carbine - its long and short ranged versions, respectively.

Edit: It could use type A batteries as ammunition, like energy weapons
May 29, 2024 9:55 pm
OOC:
For a sonic stunner, I think it should be exactly the same operationally as a laser pistol and a laser rifle. That means there is a hand version and a long gun version. It has the same ammo count and damage potential as the laser weapons and uses the same A cells. They can be hooked up to a suit of powered armor, too. Obviously, it looks very different, as the technology is completely different. It somehow uses sonic energy to stun the target, and when the target reaches 0 HP the become unconscious for 10 minutes, awaking with 1 HP. It is powerful enough to work against sealed targets; their advantage is the increased armor class. So, even heavily armored targets are affected, as long as the shot hits. Their weakness is that they don't function in a vacuum. They are also very loud, about the same as a modern (to the players) firearm with no suppression.

That should keep them function and versatile, with an interesting limitation. However, since we are just adopting laser stats, they come pre-built. I recommend that right now everyone can decide if they are carrying a sonic stunner of either type, as long as they can spare the encumbrance points with either free capacity, or stuff they have not used yet.

Does that work?
May 29, 2024 9:59 pm
OOC:
That sounds good to me.
Though if we attack these people, do we want them waking up?
May 29, 2024 9:59 pm
"Tell you what. You seem supremely confident in your ability to pull this off. We'll give it a try. But, before you approach them, we will get in position for a quick strike if it doesn't work out. Will take work for you? And who do you want to approach: the woman or the two men?

"I will attempt to spoof the sensors, but if I fail, they will know we are coming because they are on the other side of the complex."

To Maya, he asks, "How many of them were there when you had your fight with them?
May 29, 2024 10:01 pm
OOC:
Probably not, but then I was planning on just killing them outright, so I'm likely not the best person to ask. :-)

I guess a lot depends on whether we talk then shoot, or if we shoot then talk. The stunner would make the second option an actual option.
Last edited May 29, 2024 10:03 pm
May 30, 2024 12:51 am
daryen says:
OOC:
For a sonic stunner, I think it should be exactly the same operationally as a laser pistol and a laser rifle. That means there is a hand version and a long gun version. It has the same ammo count and damage potential as the laser weapons and uses the same A cells. They can be hooked up to a suit of powered armor, too. Obviously, it looks very different, as the technology is completely different. It somehow uses sonic energy to stun the target, and when the target reaches 0 HP the become unconscious for 10 minutes, awaking with 1 HP. It is powerful enough to work against sealed targets; their advantage is the increased armor class. So, even heavily armored targets are affected, as long as the shot hits. Their weakness is that they don't function in a vacuum. They are also very loud, about the same as a modern (to the players) firearm with no suppression.

That should keep them function and versatile, with an interesting limitation. However, since we are just adopting laser stats, they come pre-built. I recommend that right now everyone can decide if they are carrying a sonic stunner of either type, as long as they can spare the encumbrance points with either free capacity, or stuff they have not used yet.

Does that work?
OOC:
Sounds good to me. I will let the rest of the players chime in and I will repost those stats and limitations in the Game Details threads, if nobody opposes this idea.

May 30, 2024 1:00 am
OOC:
htech says:
daryen says:
For a sonic stunner, ..

Does that work?
Sounds good to me.
Perfect!

You can decide if it should have any affect on stone and metal. So, a stunner likely is effectively restricted to living and organic matter. You could go complicated on that, but I figure we should keep things simple.
May 31, 2024 5:41 am
daryen says:
OOC:
htech says:
daryen says:
For a sonic stunner, ..

Does that work?
Sounds good to me.
Perfect!

You can decide if it should have any affect on stone and metal. So, a stunner likely is effectively restricted to living and organic matter. You could go complicated on that, but I figure we should keep things simple.
OOC:
Yeah, I agree: a stunner should work on the nervous system of a living organism, so it wouldn't have any serious/lasting effect on things without a biological nervous system. All of this sounds good to me.

A different set of questions, about the map: the green lines are doors, but what about that orange line - is that a door on a different circuit? Is there any egress from the auxillary power room to the transformer yard, and thence to the control room?

We're trying to figure out how to hit both rooms - the control room and the maintenance bay - as close to simultaneously as we can, but I can't tell from the map how to enter/exit the control room. Can Hank tell where there are doors, using his computer access? Or are the black lines not full walls, but some kind of boundary that people can cross (ladders, low walls, railings, etc)?
Last edited May 31, 2024 5:44 am
May 31, 2024 5:51 am
OOC:
what's our current step, choosing groups and moving into position?
May 31, 2024 5:27 pm
OOC:
I think where we're at is the following:
1) Everyone decides if they are carrying a sonic stunner or not. Most should have room to at least squeeze in a pistol version if they want it.
2) We clarify our understanding on the maps.
3) We choose teams.
4) Hank makes his Program roll to mask the Sensors.
5) We move out, knowing that Hank could have failed his Computer roll.

Also, I still need Maya to tell me how many there were when her group fought these guys.
May 31, 2024 8:17 pm
OOC:
Daryen got all the points that I am waiting for. I plan to create and upload a better/more detailed map tomorrow, so I can clarify point 2. The first map was meant to be a crude version if you didn't go further inside the substation.

Maya post will go tomorrow as well.
Jun 1, 2024 2:28 pm
OOC:
To answer the first issue from Hank's perspective, he has a sonic stunner pistol instead of the laser pistol I stated originally. So, his weapons are a laser rifle and a sonic stunner pistol instead of a laser rifle and laser pistol. Anyone else that wants to have one needs to make their declaration before we continue.

Also, we need to pick the teams now. Hank will defer to the tactical experts (Peter and Douklan) on that. But, he will want to head towards the control room if that makes most sense.

Once we have the teams selected, the map expanations, and Maya's answer; then Hank will make is hacking attempt and we can move out.
Jun 1, 2024 2:42 pm
OOC:
So here is the bottom part of the map:
https://i.ibb.co/gDvzXw1/substation1.png
OOC:

Quote:
A different set of questions about the map: the green lines are doors, but what about that orange line - is that a door on a different circuit? Is there any egress from the auxiliary power room to the transformer yard, and thence to the control room?
The new map have all the walls and doors. The previous version had those lines more like an "area separation" than actual divisions. We can now see that the transformer yard and the emergency generators are one continuous room.

There are locked / restricted automated metallic doors (highlighted in red in the new map) between some areas. There are unlocked / regular doors in others (not highlighted, as that is not really an issue).

Here are two zoomed in and gridded versions of the map as well.

Edit: Last but not least, at the left side of the control room there is a large transparisteel window, its surface pristine and clear. The window provides a panoramic view into the transformer yard beyond.

https://i.imgur.com/NN61qPN.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/ZKGxmtx.jpeg
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.