Chapter 6.2: Daring Rescue

load previous
Jun 4, 2024 7:07 pm
@htech if we hug the south wall, would the panoramic view from the controll room be blocked by the two huge
transformers?
Jun 5, 2024 2:18 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 13:54 UTC

Transformer Yard, Electrical Substation DC-45T, Zyronis

Douklan Paravides moved swiftly and silently through the dimly lit transformer yard, his Navy pilot’s uniform blending with the shadows. The hum of the massive transformers filled the air, their coils glowing with a faint, eerie light that flickered as if alive. He crouched low, the weight of the heavy machine gun cradled in his arms. Behind him, the silhouettes of Mercer, Peter and Corbin slipped towards the maintenance bay, their footsteps inaudible over the relentless drone of the substation. In the meantime, Hank moved north to come in behind the sniper a couple of seconds later.

The transformer yard was a maze of steel and circuitry, the towering machines casting long shadows that danced and shifted. Douklan chose his position carefully, settling behind a sturdy transformer that provided ample cover. The panoramic view of the control room, with its glass walls and glowing monitors, lay directly ahead. Kira was inside, her figure silhouetted against the myriad screens. She was focused, unaware of the imminent danger.

Douklan set the heavy machine gun on the ground, the weapon’s tripod resting heavily into the polished floor as he adjusted its position. He went prone, his movements practiced and efficient, every muscle in his body attuned to the task at hand. The weapon was a beast, designed for maximum firepower and capable of piercing through the transparisteel window of the control room. He glanced at his watch, calculating the time it would take for Mercer, Peter and Corbin to move to the maintenance bay and Hank to arrive at the north door. They had a tight schedule; every second counted. Douklan adjusted the scope, his fingers moving with a surgeon’s precision as he calibrated the sight. His eyes narrowed. He took a deep breath, steadying himself as he prepared to fire.

Inside the control room, Kira’s brow was furrowed in concentration. She scanned the series of electrical output charts and computer monitors, her eyes darting from one screen to another. The fluctuating power levels and system diagnostics demanded her full attention. She occasionally glanced at the substation’s security systems, her posture tense. Something felt off, a nagging sensation at the back of her mind that she couldn’t shake.
https://i.imgur.com/yO01jk7.jpeg

Outside, Douklan’s finger hovered over the trigger. He exhaled slowly, calming his racing heart. The transparency of the glass was both a blessing and a curse; it provided a clear shot, but any miscalculation could alert Kira to his presence. He couldn’t afford any mistakes. He took one final breath, his finger tightening on the trigger.
OOC:
Douklan what do you do? You have a surprise round.

East storage room, Electrical Substation DC-45T, Zyronis

In the storage area to the north, Hank was preparing his own assault. He moved carefully among the stacks of crates and shelves laden with spare parts and equipment. Hank was focused on his dataslab, his fingers flying over the controls.

"I need to get that door open without triggering any alarms," he though, his eyes scanning the surroundings.

He connected a line shunt to the door's control panel, bypassing the standard security protocols with his programming skills. After a few more seconds and he unlocked all the doors in the substation.

The door to the control room clicked softly, indicating it was unlocked. He moved into position, preparing to breach.
OOC:
Hank what do you do? You have a surprise round.

Maintenance bay, Electrical Substation DC-45T, Zyronis

Meanwhile, close to the maintenance bay, Mercer, Peter and Corbin moved with silent efficiency. The large chamber was dominated by the sleek forms of two hovercycles and the partially disassembled gravsled. Tools and diagnostic equipment surrounded the vehicles, creating a cluttered yet orderly workspace.

https://i.imgur.com/CeRDrmD.jpeg

Fortunately, Hank was able to:
Quote:
silently override the security system so that it looks clean, but was really just not working.
So now the two men working on the gravsled were too engrossed in their tasks to notice the intruders. The taller man was talking while the shorter one, wiry and quick, tightened bolts on the sled’s chassis with practiced precision. Peter signaled to Corbin, who nodded in understanding. The door to the maintenance bay clicked softly, indicating it was now unlocked.
OOC:
What do you do? You have a surprise round.
OOC:
Edit: Those DCs were 11 and 12, due to each hack after the first, but a success nonetheless.

Rolls

Elapsed time (unlocking door, hacking, checking, conversations, planning) - (7d6)

(1452154) = 22

Hank Heron: Program DC10 - Unlock doors - (3d6h2+1+1)

(661) + 2 = 14

Hank Heron: Program DC10 - Override the security system - (3d6h2+1+1)

(556) + 2 = 13

Kira (W1) - Hitpoints

Kyle (M1) - Hitpoints

Lewis Lloyd (M2) - Hitpoints

Jun 5, 2024 4:07 pm
Watching Peter and Corbin's signals, Mercer moves in, his new Force Pavice activating. Stepping around the line of fire to let Corbin and Peter move and fire freely.
Last edited June 5, 2024 5:55 pm

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Stab - Usual roll - (1D20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Mercer Canaan Furio: Vibroblade (Advanced Medium) - (1D8+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Jun 5, 2024 4:12 pm
OOC:
Quick side-note: It is Mercer with Hank, not Peter.

I assume "Kira" and "the sniper" are the same person, correct? If so, Hank is coordinating with Douklan so that Mercer and he don't get caught in Douklan's crossfire.
Jun 5, 2024 5:02 pm
daryen says:
OOC:
Quick side-note: It is Mercer with Hank, not Peter.

I assume "Kira" and "the sniper" are the same person, correct? If so, Hank is coordinating with Douklan so that Mercer and he don't get caught in Douklan's crossfire.
Fixed, thanks. Yup, that's Kira.

Okay, makes sense. Will use a move action to keep out of it. You still have a Main action, though. =)
Jun 5, 2024 5:13 pm
OOC:
are there 3 people attacking Kiran? If so I'd switch to the group of 2 enemies. Wit Peter and Corbin, to have more balanced numbers. I must have misunderstood the poll before.
If so can we switch my post over to move with them?
Jun 5, 2024 5:30 pm
After signaling to Corbin Peter moves beyond the threshold of the door exposing only his right arm and his laser rifle, giving space for Corbin to shoot through the same door.

He will shoot a burst of lasers at the one standing up. (M1).

After the his first shoots hit (or miss) and Corbin also fires he will start flooding the room aiming to the left and clearing his side while expecting Corbin to do the same on the opposite side.
Last edited June 5, 2024 5:32 pm

Rolls

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle (burst) - ToHit - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Peter Morgan: Laser Rifle (burst) - Damage - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jun 5, 2024 5:52 pm
PhoenixScientist says:
OOC:
are there 3 people attacking Kiran? If so I'd switch to the group of 2 enemies. Wit Peter and Corbin, to have more balanced numbers. I must have misunderstood the poll before.
If so can we switch my post over to move with them?
Okay. I will edit my post.

Edit: Done. Everybody, please read it again.
Jun 5, 2024 6:54 pm
OOC:
I am assuming that the door is not in Douklan's line of fire. If it is, then delete the below and I will try again.

I am assuming everyone is ready to go at the same time. If so, the sound of the heavy machine gun fire is the indicator for "go time".
Hank coordinates with Douklan before getting to the door and whispers, "Start shooting when the door opens."

He then approaches the door, opens the door, levels his weapon and fires.
Jun 5, 2024 7:26 pm
OOC:
Your assumptions are correct, Daryen. Gimme an attack roll, please. =)
Jun 5, 2024 7:43 pm
Fair enough. :-)

Burst mode ...

... whelp, let's hope Douklan succeeds!
Last edited June 5, 2024 7:44 pm

Rolls

Hank Heron: Shoot - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Jun 6, 2024 12:26 pm
Corbin takes the cue to start firing and targets the kneeling man.

Rolls

[SWN] Corbin McRogers: Laser Rifle* - ToHit - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

[SWN] Corbin McRogers: Laser Rifle* - Damage - (1d10+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Jun 8, 2024 12:53 am
As soon as the door opens, Douklan squeezes the trigger on the heavy machine gun, trying to punch through the transparisteel and perforate Kira.
OOC:
I'm not sure what the damage I should be rolling (in case I hit) is; if you mentioned it earlier, I failed to capture it.

Rolls

Shoot - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

HMG damage - (3d6)

(646) = 16

Jun 8, 2024 11:23 am
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 13:54:00 UTC
Mercer moved into position, his Force Pavise activating with a low hum. The barrier shimmered into existence, a translucent field of protection that glowed faintly blue. He stepped around the line of fire, his movements precise and calculated, allowing Corbin and Peter to maneuver freely.

Corbin took the cue, raising his blaster and firing a series of shots at Lewis (M2). The bolts sizzled through the air, narrowly missing their target as Lewis darted behind the gravsled to avoid both the shot and Mercer's blade, his luck running thin.

Peter, meanwhile, focused on Kyle (M1). He aimed carefully and squeezed the trigger. The shot grazed Kyle’s shoulder, sending him back with a grunt of pain.
OOC:
All your attacks were hits, but not enough damage to kill, so I'm describing as near misses or grazed shots until they reach 0 HP.
Meanwhile, Hank approached the control room door. He took a deep breath, steeling himself, then swung the door open. His weapon leveled at Kira, he fired. The shot went wide, striking a monitor and sending it sparking.

Douklan, positioned outside with the HMG ready, squeezed the trigger. His first burst struck the transparisteel wall with a deafening crack. The high-strength material fractured like concrete, fissures spreading rapidly as chunks fell away. Kira’s head snapped up, her eyes wide with shock. Realizing the danger, she dove for cover, narrowly avoiding the second burst that punched through the weakened wall, sending fragments scattering across the room.
OOC:
I edited your post to include the damage roll from the HMG (3d6). This section of the wall is now gone. 16 was enough to pierce and break it.
Kira scrambled behind a console, her mind racing. She had to think fast. Douklan’s bullets were powerful enough to breach the control room’s defenses and even her cover, and Hank was already inside.

https://i.imgur.com/QNShrop.jpeg
OOC:
Next round! PCs go first.

Rolls

Initiative (NPCs - Kira) - (1d8+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Initiative (PCs - Mercer) - (2d8h1+1)

(74) + 1 = 8

Jun 8, 2024 1:01 pm
OOC:
Is Kira hidden from both of us, or just Douklan?
Jun 8, 2024 1:06 pm
Mercer swings.

Rolls

Mercer Canaan Furio: Stab - Usual roll - (1D20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Mercer Canaan Furio: Vibroblade (Advanced Medium) - (1D8+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Jun 8, 2024 1:38 pm
OOC:
Quote:
Is Kira hidden from both of us, or just Douklan?
She has partial cover from Douklan, for now, but no cover from Hank. Also, the HMG can wreak havoc in the room, so with a good dice roll it won't make a difference.
Jun 8, 2024 1:41 pm
Trade Era 1235, Day 163. 13:54:06 UTC
Mercer pressed his advantage. He swung his vibrosword, killing Lewis (M2) before he could even react.
OOC:
To act:
- Hank
- Corbin
- Douklan
- Peter
Jun 8, 2024 3:29 pm
Hank says to Douklan, "Keep firing!"

He takes his second shot with burst ...

Rolls

Hank Heron: Laser Rifle*+ - ToHit - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Hank Heron: Laser Rifle*+ - Damage - (1d10+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Jun 9, 2024 3:34 pm
As he's firing, Douklan lowers the muzzle a little to follow Kira as she drops behind the console.
OOC:
Hm.
Last edited June 9, 2024 3:35 pm

Rolls

Shoot heavy machine gun, damage - (1d20+6, 3d6)

1d20+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

3d6 : (612) = 9

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.