Nuttyartist / Felix

load previous
Apr 18, 2024 5:48 pm
daryen says:
Absolutely love the character's intro! Very well done!
Thanks! That means a lot. I hope that works for his Shamanic Warrior trait background - not exactly traditional.
Apr 18, 2024 11:04 pm
Nice origin. Now, how often will your ancestor be haunting you, since of course he took up residence in the sword to ensure you didnt' loose it . . . . :)
Apr 18, 2024 11:21 pm
Ok, game on. You can find your story here
Apr 18, 2024 11:55 pm
Psybermagi says:
Nice origin. Now, how often will your ancestor be haunting you, since of course he took up residence in the sword to ensure you didnt' loose it . . . . :)
My idea is that his ancestor is tagging along, and his Shamanic Warrior trait uses the ancestor to imbue the fighting/swordsmanship strength. So he fights with greater skill than he should.
Does that make sense and work within the game system?
Ideally all the trait abilities would be somewhat related to his great sword (ie the ranged attacks doesn't make much sense), but I don't know if that's something that can changed.
Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am
The system is very loose so sure. Sounds great. A shaman may learn from the spirits and use them to accomplish things but usually their own spirit is the source of most of their power. Your the engine and they are the accessories. Without you they can't do much, without them you are less effective. At least that's how I see it. There has to be some advantage to being alive, right? :)
Apr 19, 2024 12:56 am
This is a Shaman Warrior build I worked on previously. Mostly similar to the RAW but with a few difference. I will use this work as a template for adapting for you.

Shamanic Warrior You can Test to gain the help of Spirits in combat. If successful you gain a random Boon that lasts 3 turns. You can sacrifice HP to the spirits, after the roll, to either Pick a boon or Double the duration.
Shamanic Warrior Boons:
1. Wind: You gain a movement for free each turn.
2. Earth: You gain 2 HP of protection.
3. Fire: You deal additional critical damage.
4. Water: reroll one roll each round.
5. Lightning: for 2 actions you can hurl a lightning attack that does not miss.
6. Wood: You can heal any creature you touch 1 point.
Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm
I like that it is a bit flexible, so it can be tuned to the character a little. Obviously balance issues would have to be looked at carefully.

I like your system of have a slightly weaker boon (than the original trait- by the looks of it) but it doesn’t automatically cost health. This definitely would encourage more use. And the flexibility to pay health to pick a better boon (if the roll was bad) or lengthen the use is great. (Though paying 1 health for 2 hp protection feels a bit odd)

The boons in your list seem suitable, apart from 5 and 6.
Maybe these would work (Im just looking at the traits for ideas. I’ve no idea if these are suitable in your eyes)
5. Opportunist - attack any enemy that hits you with disadvantage. (Feels very "sword-fighting"
6. Parry mastery - Evade tests are 2d6 with the great sword (a defensive option for the boon, still focused on sword-play)

Should there be one that would give attack with advantage?
Apr 19, 2024 4:10 pm
Opportunist and Parry are essentially traits you can pick up on your own and you will get an option to add one quickly. Parry = Shield Master which can not normally be used with heavy weapons but my systems mechanics differ a bit so I will think about allowing a Parry trait.

The above was an elemental based build i did but going with pure melee warrior is fine. There was an advantage one and it can be added but once you have weapon mastery you have advantage with you weapon always anyhow. As this variant does not always cost health it is much more usable so I try to balance the ability to do a variety of thing vs what others can do one at a time. Ex: 2. earth gives +2 HP for a single action. In theory this system will let you "Buff" your self, given time, so that when you enter battle you are much stronger than before.

If you want to stick to martial abilities
1. Fast Feet: You gain a movement for action each turn and can jump great distances.
2. Spirit Armor: You gain 2 HP of protection.
3. Vicious Strike: You deal additional critical damage.
4. Spirit Guide : You gain focus without expending an action
5. You have advantage on attacks
6. Touch of Luck: reroll one roll each round.
7. Spirit Strike: For 2 actions you can hurl a spiritual weapon that does not miss.
8. Spirit Weapon: Your weapon attacks range is extended 1 zone
9. Revitalize: You can heal any creature you touch 1 point.

pick 6 of these or suggest others for consideration

Also, once you are a Veteran, after gaining 1 trait and weapon mastery, then you can add a prestige trait that has a higher output than regular ones. But you can only have one of these. Many prestige traits allow overlap with other traits or side steps some otherwise fixed limits
Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm
Yeah the flavor Im going for is simply that Felix uses the spirit power to enhance his abilities with the great sword. Not that he is inherently a warrior, but his ancestor spirit helps with that. Thus allowing him to be a Charisma "face" and also fight well.
I like your new ideas/suggestions.
Apr 19, 2024 4:42 pm
pick 6 of these or suggest others for consideration
Apr 19, 2024 4:48 pm
Sure. Oh i think you edited since I last refreshed, sorry I missed the change.

1. 2. 3. 4. 6. Those seem pretty suitable.

The last choice, Im still thinking.
Will Revitalization allow me to heal myself? And if it lasts 3 rounds, can I heal myself 3 times? Or 6 times if it can be done each action?

I don’t really know what Zones are in this game, presumably with this I would be able to hit someone too far way to hit me back in close combat?
Apr 19, 2024 5:04 pm
all boons last 3 rounds
healing affect you or others and you can pick one of 2 options at this time
1. until the boon ends you can heals 1 point without expending an action but only works once. Basically a preset single charge
2. while the boon is active use an action and test to heal 1 point

Zones are detailed in the Info sheet and reference Tinyd6
The ~Tiny Info~ also has a bunch of information for quick reference and can be accessed by tapping the grey button below the Rolls section
https://i.imgur.com/t8yLGy8.png or opening it from the Characters menus at the bottom of the page. Additional information can be added here upon request.
[ +- ] Zones (distances)
Apr 19, 2024 7:15 pm
I'm thinking of going with the healing, even though it's not martial. Just seems so handy, especially since he might be spending some HP on the boons.

Could a prestige trait be based on Shamanic Warrior?
Apr 19, 2024 7:48 pm
yes it can. A couple of though on it include spirit fusion/possession and summoning
Apr 19, 2024 10:30 pm
Cool, that'll be something for the future then.

I'm clearly new to pbp, so as I post in the game can you let me know here if I'm doing something wrong.
I believe I have the freedom to invent things in game, but some things not.
Ie. Finding Bjorne, I can't just write "there he is"
But if I should be doing something besides - Look, roll-
Let me know
Apr 19, 2024 10:42 pm
Adding content to the story is per player and GM
I am fine with it most of the time. For example finding Bjorne, I was 50/50 what to do there but wanted to get you to the urchin for a quick Test tutorial so just redirected you . How you posted was totally fine.

Some GM dont like players adding content. I only began experimenting with it a year or so ago so while I try to encourage it I am still feeling out how to keep it "in bounds" both as a player and GM
Apr 21, 2024 1:37 am
Now that we have worked out the Shamanic Warrior boon list;

1. Fast Feet: You gain a movement for action each turn and can jump great distances.
2. Spirit Armor: You gain 2 HP of protection.
3. Vicious Strike: You deal additional critical damage.
4. Spirit Guide : You gain focus without expending an action
5.Touch of Luck: reroll one roll each round.
6.Revitalize: You can heal any creature you touch 1 point.

(Which seems important, because when I roll for it, the different effects should be permanently fixed to those numbers)

I was wondering how it worked, because I’m currently not sure. I know it lasts 3 rounds, I’m not clear how I activate it.

Does it take an action in itself? (Eg. action 1: activate trait, roll d6 for boon. Does this first turn count towards the 3 turns? Action 2: cant swing my great sword, so do different action.)

Does it take a test to activate? Or does it happen 100% when I decide to?

You said something like activating it multiple times to stack effects. Would you mind explaining a little more how that works? Maybe I can activate it twice a turn (1 time per action) and the first boon will end before the following boons? Is there a limit to this?

The healing had that choice - heal 1 point, or be able to test to heal for 3 turns. Do any of the other boons have options like this?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to nail down what this trait does so when I use it in a post I do it right :)

Thanks for your help.

Oh. Ps. My haunting ancestor; im guessing no one else can see him if he shows up (unless they have an ability), but do you think he is someone i can talk to, or he only appears when i use him to empower me?
May 5, 2024 3:48 pm
Not sure if you saw my ooc edit to my last post.
I think I will go with weapon mastery. Not sure on the rules/mechanics- is it 3d6 now? I just found the veteran stuff where it's mentioned as a prerequisite for weapon specialization.
Last edited May 5, 2024 3:48 pm
May 5, 2024 5:02 pm
Weapon mastery gives advantage when attacking with a specific weapon type that you are already proficient with.
Felix - proficient with heavy - mastered great sword
[ +- ] Tests
[ +- ] Advantage
[ +- ] Disadvantage
[ +- ] Focus
Thanks for pointing it out. Edits are not always noticed. It you want to be sure an edit is seen then add shimmering like
OOC:
@Nuttyartist see changes
And remove the check from the box next to "This is a minor edit" and it will mark it as unread do this so have read it and flash it fit those players you mention using the @ flag Here are some basic game guidelines.
[ +- ] Formatting
[ +- ] Subscriptions & Notifications

You do not have permission to post in this thread.