A Grave reprieve

load previous
Apr 27, 2024 3:37 am
Ok Al, right behind you.

Felix glanced around at the sailors readying themselves. They’ve been pulling oar, all while I’ve been puking over the side of their boat - time for meeeee to pull my weight he threw them a smile and a salute.

Felix pulled his Great-sword into his hands, resting the blade on his shoulders. Florian’s energy swirled around it, generally only visible to Felix. Using Shamanic Warrior Felix pulled some of that energy, some of Florian’s essence, into himself. (Boon 6. Heal 1 point of health on command)
OOC:
Not clear on if I can do this multiple times in a row or not
Felix follows Al, scouring the brush and tree line with his eyes - listening also for any sounds or signs of movement.
Last edited April 27, 2024 3:51 am

Rolls

Shamanic Warrior boon - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Felix moving quietly - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Felix searching for threats - (2d6)

(43) = 7

Apr 27, 2024 10:59 pm
OOC:
Multiple boons are fine but each has a time limit. Time remaining 3 rounds in combat ~ 20-30 second as exact time keeping is not used out of combat
Felix feels a pulsing energy fill his chest filling him with life. (1hp)

The two of you move amazingly quiet for such large fellows and slip form the firelight and begin moving through the shadow around camp. Keeping the firelight in sight you move softly then Al pauses and holds a hand to his head, for silence you assume, then towards some grasses off to one side. As you hold you position you realize after watching the ara and Al continually pointing it out that there are several patches that are slowly and nearly silently shifting. At least 3 creatures are moving closer to the camp but seem move to maximize their cover. Al hefts hi massive ax and puts a hand to your shoulder then moves to get behind the creatures.

Rolls

winds of fate - (2d6)

(23) = 5

Apr 28, 2024 7:28 pm
Ok Al, I’m picking up what you’re putting down thought Felix, as he saw the subtly shifting shadow shapes in the long grass. His heart began to beat a little quicker and his stomach tightened; fear sharpened his awareness.

He pulled in more spirit energy;(boon 4, Spirit Guide, you gain focus without spending an action) The energy again permeated his whole body, his blade felt a little lighter in his hands, and his stance adjusted itself giving him better balance.

Felix moved with Al, readying his Great-Sword, leaving a little space though with the aim of flanking the hidden creatures as Al took position behind them.
Last edited April 28, 2024 7:35 pm

Rolls

(4) = 4

Apr 29, 2024 1:17 pm
As you move to trap your quarry you somehow missed them tapping you. From behind you is heard a hissing croak and instantly the the patches of crushed grass reveal large forms that rise up and turn to have you. Though dark you can tell these are no humans. Long trails and skulls, more animal like than like people. From behind a hiding voice commands Stand and be recognized
Apr 29, 2024 3:29 pm
Felix spun around bringing his Great-Sword with him in a guard position, instinctively sucking more spirit energy into himself (it's a defensive response to surprise or a scare).

(Boon 4 - focus without action again, I guess just extending the length of that effect a little)

woah! I am Felix the Unforgettable, but I doubt we'd recognize each other.

Felix eyed up this creature, and attempted to look past his terrifying decorations of skulls to glean his true intention.
Last edited April 29, 2024 3:32 pm

Rolls

(4) = 4

Insight - is he a threat, aggressive - (3d6)

(352) = 10

Apr 29, 2024 4:00 pm
The two of you now stand with 3 lizard men in the marsh to one side and another with spear at the ready on another. Neither is close to you but you suspect these locals know how to move in the marsh better than you and can close the gap quickly. The solitary lizard man watches you cautiously, eyes flicking to the trio bring you as is checking for reassurance it instructions.

Big Al

Psybermagi

Apr 29, 2024 4:01 pm
Big Al

Dang this is a fine mess I lead is into.
If anything happens make sure to call for help and warn the boat.
Apr 29, 2024 5:17 pm
Glancing around Felix noted that the lizard man who spoke must be calling the shots. Licking his lips -

Well uh, see we're just passing through. Camping here just for a short while before moving along - definitely not meaning any harm. This is just us investigating some noises - I'm sure the same goes for you. So how about we all just return to our status quo?

Felix put on some charm, not knowing if it would be as effective on Lizardmen as it was on half drunk bar patrons.
OOC:
I'm just using my rolls/traits where they seem to fit. If you disagree or I'm over reaching just let me know, or edit etc
Ps. Not sure if my focus boon affects these rolls, I'm fine if it only applies to my combat, if not let me know
Last edited April 29, 2024 5:56 pm

Rolls

Charisma, ease Lizardmen - (3d6)

(426) = 12

Apr 29, 2024 10:16 pm
OOC:
Rolls are fine, and focus works as well so great job with that. I encurage players to add rolls any time they feel there is uncertanty of the reslt
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1bCSZoKCaOO575cFntvkQZo5vdH99LCHtjVeHA5LBog&s
The three in the mash are slowly shifting out of that area while the one what was behind you and sounded the alarm and spoke first moves around you as well to rejoin the other lizardmen.

When they get out of the thick wet marsh one of the lizardmen speeks up. You passss through but we ssstay.
Our home here.

It makes a hand guesture and the three lizardmen lower their spears, a bit, so they are held by two hands now, but all three of the other lizardmenn keep allerts and look around .

Setlin/g his spear onto the ground the spoaks-lzard asks Where you go in boat? you stay there or you go back n forth?
Apr 30, 2024 5:38 pm
Felix felt the tension in the air lessen slightly. He repositioned his Great-Sword so the flat of the blade rested on his shoulder. Still accessible but not as threatening.

My trip is just to somewhere farther up this river. Al's been there before, I haven't. This boat though I believe will be returning back down this river, out to sea.

Lizardmen

Psybermagi

Apr 30, 2024 11:11 pm
Lizardmen

The four exchange some gutteral rumblings, croaks, and hisses before the spokesman replies. You pass lake with island. You go or be friend them then you enemy us and not use river safe. We watch you. you warned. Stay to river and near river only we not hunt you. you go far and we see how you taste.

The broad grin leaves little to your imagination and you do not doubt that he means what he says.
May 1, 2024 3:25 pm
Felix knew the Lizardman meant what he said. WHAT he said, however, he wasn't one hundred percent sure. Although he was an expert at deciphering drunken slurred speech, Lizardman hissed accent was a challenge for him.

Right then Al, you heard him, let's accept his generous hospitality and head back to the boat.

Felix fully put his weapon away, onto his back, and took careful steps towards the boat. He didn't turn his back to the Lizardmen, but kept his eyes on them, maintaining a friendly expression on his face.
May 1, 2024 11:01 pm
Lizardmen

The lizardmen exchange a few words in their language but the spokesman silences them with a wave.

Big Al

As the pair of you move back to the firelight warily Al comments after you make some distance Well , , , that was interesting. Now the question is, what do they not like about the island and is it beter to keep silent, tell just the captain, or tell everyone. Personally I'm inclined to tell the captain so he can handle it when we get there.

You make it back to the firelight to find half the crew, with the captain at their back, staring out from the now bobbing boat. While you were gone they apparently launched the boat. Thankfully they waited for you. Glancing at the other adventurers you note that Pog and his bedroll are nowhere to be seen, till you spot his help on the boat between a couple of the sailors.

Bjorne

Seeing you alive and well, though cautious Bjorne waves you over. In a soft voice, not quite a whisper he asks Well? Beast, enemy, opportunity, or danger? and he eyes you carefully
May 2, 2024 1:33 pm
After clambering up onto the boat and wiping his brow Felix faced Bjorne.

Beast-ish? Lizard-people. With spears. It almost came to blows, they're very protective of this area which they consider home. But we luckily came to a semi-peaceful agreement. From what I could understand they'll leave us be as long as we stick to the river. Oh, and you probably know about it if you frequent this route, there's some sort of lake and island nearby? The Lizard folk would like us to steer clear of there, and not make friends with it's inhabitants. If we do, the Lizardians will turn us into a buffet

Exhausted from recounting his experience Felix took a sip from his Whiskey flask.

Did I miss anything Al? Maybe you heard something differently to me?

Felix felt the last remnants of the spirit energy fade from his body.
May 3, 2024 2:19 pm
Bjorne

Boy, no ones been up this river. Least not since the Breaking. Lizardmen hmmmm. Well if they are not hostile now I see not advantage to making them so. We were commissioned to test this as a viable trade route and carry a bit of cargo. Still I think we'll keep the boat off-shore though the swamp.
He has the men get back to sleep and sends you and Al to wake the other adventurers to stand watch the rest of the night.
Big Al

As you leave the boat Al sighs. I said to only tell the captain about the lizardman warning. Talking about it in front of Pog was the one thing I wanted to avoid. That is one greedy dwarf.

The rest of the night is uneventful, other than the grumbling from Pontus about "double night shifts" that is cut short by a clout to the back of his head and glare from Al. You and Al find places to sleep when the captain and crew wake at the first light of dawn.

You awaken later in the day, near to noon by the position of the sun. You learn you will be pausing for a short break when you reach the lake that Bjorne says is coming up. You look but see nothing and he chuckles and tells you that "the river told me". The break is just long enough for everyone to stretch their legs and relieve their bowls before the ship is back underway. You have been impressed by the boatmen as they row for hours to move the ship up river as the captain and mate manage the sails and rudder as needed to help as much as possible.

Bjorne

That must be the island the captain comments after you have been on the lake about half an hour. Looking out to the middle of the lake you spy what he is looking at. It blends with the far coast a bit at first till your eyes pick out the tip of a structure sticking out above the trees. It looks to be the tip of a pyramid. As you all look at the island the water around the boat suddenly erupts as massive, long, purple tendrils covered in suckers and claws. The tentacles slam down on the boat knocking many off their feet as the boat lurches to a stop.
Roll a save or take 1 damage and be knocked prone by a tentacle.
[ +- ] Save Tests
[ +- ] Combat
Bjorne calls To arms! Cut those things off my boat!
OOC:
Welcome to the fight :)
May 3, 2024 3:35 pm
Well Pog is a big boy, I'm not his babysitter.

Felix was becoming a mite frustrated with everyone assuming he knew all about their business. All he did was sign up for a job, he wasn't handed everyone's autobiographies.

His self-pout was short lived however as the river opened up into the famous lake and the eerie island came into view.

So, is that a pyramid - HOLY FUUUU

A tentacled beast from below revealed itself, and attacked the boat. Felix barely had time to take a breath before attempting to dive out of the path of a crashing purple arm.

Felix completely lost his footing as the boat lurched, and landed awkwardly in his own Great-Sword and shovel, bruising his ribs. (Takes 1 damage. 5/6).

Prone, on the deck, he tried to get his bearings.

Florial, time to chip in Raising himself onto his elbow, he pulled in some spirit energy. (Boon 1. Fast feet: You gain a movement for action each turn and can jump great distances)
OOC:
not exactly sure what that means. One extra move action each turn? Seems to apply nicely in this situation :)
Felix felt a burst of energy and leapt to his feet, feeling a little lighter and sure footed.

Spinning on the spot he took a mighty swing with his Great-Sword, down onto a clawed tendril.
Last edited May 3, 2024 3:49 pm

Rolls

Tentacle dodge save - (2d6)

(14) = 5

Shamanic Warrior - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Great-Sword attack - (2d6)

(16) = 7

May 3, 2024 3:52 pm
OOC:
Combat has 2 actions each round, see spoiler above. Saves do not take an action so you can draw on your spirit power and still have 1 more action. I will move on with everyone else on your side and you can act once more before the betentacled monster get to go.
The deck of the boat erupts in chaos and crew and adventurers scramble out of the path of the tentacles, going for weapons, and launching attacks. Ernst is the most eye catching as he flings ice and flame at the tentacles. Pontus fumbles with this obviously unfamiliar weapon and gets what looks like a lucky hit, but Al and Pog both react quickly with deadly violence.

Rolls

crew attacks - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (55) = 10

2d6 : (42) = 6

2d6 : (26) = 8

2d6 : (66) = 12

2d6 : (51) = 6

2d6 : (45) = 9

2d6 : (34) = 7

2d6 : (26) = 8

2d6 : (46) = 10

Adventurers - (Al:3d6, Al:3d6, Pog:3d6, Pog:3d6, Pontus:1d6)

Al:3d6 : (411) = 6

Al:3d6 : (353) = 11

Pog:3d6 : (135) = 9

Pog:3d6 : (332) = 8

Pontus:1d6 : (6) = 6

Ernst magics - (2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (33) = 6

2d6 : (15) = 6

May 3, 2024 5:12 pm
OOC:
Ok so I undo my actions I guess. Doesn’t he gain an extra move action on top of the regular 2?
After absorbing some Shamanic energy he absorbs some more
OOC:
for his 2nd action
(Boon 3 Vicious Strike: You deal additional critical damage.)
OOC:
Oops, rolled twice for boon, sorry.

So all the npcs presumably passed save rolls?
Last edited May 3, 2024 5:22 pm

Rolls

Shamanic Warrior - (2d6)

(33) = 6

May 3, 2024 5:43 pm
Ernst and Pontus fail to avoid the tentacles and several crew are knocked about by the flailing tentacles.
Octopus

To one side of the boat you hear splashing and look to see a strange creature, connected to the tentacles, rising from the water. Two large black eyes now direct the tentacles to wrap around targets. All of the other adventurers are struck by the tentacles after having attacked them, as does one of the crew who easily stays aboard the boat. Everyone continues their assault on the tentacles
OOC:
Add to not undo. What you did works out
I at times use averages for large thing so I do not have to roll/track everything.
Also this is your intro story so it is more likely to have a happy ending where the ship doesn't sink. Besides the focus is on You. Be the HERO! You are back up

Rolls

Giant octopus (odd=crew, even=adventurers, 12=Felix) - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (62) = 8

2d6 : (33) = 6

2d6 : (22) = 4

2d6 : (53) = 8

2d6 : (42) = 6

2d6 : (41) = 5

2d6 : (44) = 8

Save vs falling out of the boad - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (21) = 3

2d6 : (11) = 2

2d6 : (53) = 8

2d6 : (21) = 3

Crew Attack - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6)

2d6 : (61) = 7

2d6 : (61) = 7

2d6 : (44) = 8

2d6 : (62) = 8

2d6 : (32) = 5

2d6 : (65) = 11

Adventurers attacks - (2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 2d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6)

2d6 : (23) = 5

2d6 : (15) = 6

3d6 : (565) = 16

3d6 : (164) = 11

3d6 : (223) = 7

3d6 : (235) = 10

May 3, 2024 5:49 pm
The crew and Al, who stayed onboard, fare wll and several of the tentacles retract after being cut deeply. The others knocked overboard hack at the limbs holding them and try to get back to the boat.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.