Characters

Apr 24, 2024 2:52 am
Hey guys! Once everyone is in, we can start here. Someone already made a character sheet and claimed the position of local rogue, but you guys can start by coming up with a super basic character sketch here.
Apr 24, 2024 4:23 am
Anything in this can be tweaked to better fit.

Reem is an orphan who spent almost half of her life on the streets of Cairo. Dark haired and dark eyed, she looks somewhere between fifteen and twenty, with a bright smile and an impish look in her eyes that hints at her love of adventures. Her dad was British educated, so she picked up speaking, reading and writing English before his death when she was nine. With no family and no connections, she’s made her living as a servant, a pickpocket, a tour guide, a nanny, a waitress, and a camel handler (a job she was supremely unqualified for and lost quickly). She’s managed to convince these explorers that she’s an expert on the ancient legends of the Pharaohs in hopes of coin and possibly some tomb treasures to set her up comfortably.
Last edited April 24, 2024 6:29 am
Apr 24, 2024 10:30 am
I love that! Also I don't know if I accepted or rejected your character sheet. I meant to accept it, but I have fat thumbs.
Apr 24, 2024 12:54 pm
I was thinking of making this character: Sarah Bishop, an American woman and middle daughter lost amongst her many siblings for attention and education from her parents. The family is one of the nouveau riche, but Sarah did not seem to be particularly skilled or educated in anything. She is on the tail end of eligible marrying age and has decided to leave the social milieu behind by escaping to an Egyptian archaeological adventure, what fun! She may be able to afford her tools, but she certainly does not know how to use them! My inspiration is a little bit Amelia Peabody series.
Apr 24, 2024 12:56 pm
Tomas McAngus, Medic in the last war. He hasn't adjusted to life without explosions and is looking to stay employed. Seeing the add for some archaeology venture to Egypt was right up his alley. Grabbing his gear he went right down and applied.
Apr 24, 2024 2:12 pm
Sir Aldus Lemmington-Smythe, self-taught Egyptologist and collector ready to show those dimwits at the British Museum what he can do with a lot of money, a large library and a can do attitude!
Apr 24, 2024 3:14 pm
I haven't throught haracter concept just yet. Maybe an American Journalist.
Apr 24, 2024 9:58 pm
So a thief, a medic, an expert, and a rich lady. Maybe a security or gunslinger person last?
Apr 24, 2024 11:00 pm
Is this like pulp (1920s-ish) or modern age?
Apr 25, 2024 12:38 am
Not /mostly/ a thief. Mostly a temp with an exaggerated resume.
Apr 25, 2024 1:07 am
Mhoram100 says:
Not /mostly/ a thief. Mostly a temp with an exaggerated resume.
Gotcha, my bad.
Apr 25, 2024 1:08 am
kalajel says:
Is this like pulp (1920s-ish) or modern age?
I was thinking modern age, unless everyone wants it to be pulp. I think technology can make things easier and let us hand wave away problems we don't want to deal with, like travel and long distance communications, and online shopping. But in general, you will be a bit isolated in the desert, so you will have access to the tech you bring and not too much more.
Apr 25, 2024 2:21 am
Also, while we are finishing our characters, now is a good time to discuss things we want to see in the campaign and ideas that we have. Also, this game shouldn't have anything too serious or heavy, but feel free to mention anything you don't want in the game, especially if it is likely to come up. If mummies are a red card for you, this might be the wrong game :)
Apr 25, 2024 2:40 am
Also I can introduce your first NPC! He is The Investor, a rich mysterious man who is funding your expedition. His reasons are personal, and you know very little about him, but he insists on accompanying you to ensure that his ends are met. He will meet you at the site.
Apr 25, 2024 5:21 am
I was definitely assuming that we’d be dealing with British dominated 1920s because otherwise realism dictates that Egyptian national authorities would be overseeing and claiming any antiquities. The London Museum is the biggest active crime scene in history because there used to be no one with the clout to stop them helping themselves to whatever they could ‘find’.

Unless we are just proper thieves and doing this all under cover of night.
Apr 25, 2024 10:20 am
Yes, I was thinking this was an off the record dig and maybe the authorities were bribed.
Apr 25, 2024 11:28 am
I feel the same as Mhoram. In the 1920's you can enter into this as an exciting adventure as you are blind to colonialism and such. In the modern day, we're just thieves and tomb robbers and that's a completely different game.
Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm
Cool, let's make it the 1920s then :). I don't want the morality of grave robbing to be something we worry about, so I am on board.
Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm
I'm glad, because I made my character under the assumption this was the 1920s... XD

Sexual violence of any kind is pretty much my only no-no, I have no problem with anything else.

I'll go ahead and work on the equipment for my character then.
Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm
Is equipment a thing in this system?

Based on reading the play example I assumed it was like: "Do anything 1" I pull out my trusty torches:
Roll 1d6: 1-5: sorry they're too damp
6: they light up without a problem, add skill Preparedness: 2 to my character sheet.
Last edited April 25, 2024 4:34 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.