Session Zero

Apr 26, 2024 6:04 pm
Let's build out how we want to play together!
May 20, 2024 8:04 pm
I am good to play whatever, I have some interest in ranger or Rouge for this but open to fill gaps
May 20, 2024 8:49 pm
I am a druid or fighter. Whatever fits better 😁
May 20, 2024 8:52 pm
I am thinking of a wizard. :)

How do we want to do this? Free Feat? Magic Item(s) ? Flanking Rules? 😁

Edit: Love the Stars and Wishes. Thanks!
Last edited May 20, 2024 8:54 pm
May 20, 2024 10:09 pm
Glad to hear you like the stars and wishes! It sounds like you guys are already covering different bases so that's great. Even if you overlap or pick the same ones, I think you guys can be creative enough with your Lego builds to get around any problems that could arise.

Still learning, but here are my thoughts about your questions:

Free Feat - We are making Level 5 characters so if you are asking if you can have a starting feat in addition to the feat you can take from passing Level 4, I think it may make you all a little OP. If you think it makes it more fun though, I can put it up to a vote if everyone wants that option.

Magic Items - I'm going to say no for that one since you may be getting quite a few items in the adventure if you keep a sharp eye out and you can build something if you need an extra tool. If you really want it though and can argue for it, we can negotiate. :)

Flanking - I am not planning to use maps for this one-shot, but if you want to describe in a battle how you flank an enemy and it makes sense, I will allow it. Example: A goblin attempts to hit me, the wizard, but misses and our rogue sneaks behind and wants to flank attack.
May 20, 2024 10:23 pm
Just to review, we are building Level 5 characters with character creation content from Player's Handbook, Tasha's, and Xanathar's. You may use whatever template you like, but the standard Dungeons & Dragons 5th character template or Level Up Advanced 5e template may be useful to remind you if you have inspiration available.
May 20, 2024 10:58 pm
Do you have any qualms going with a flying race?
May 20, 2024 11:53 pm
I'm open to playing pretty much whatever, I'm thinking my best way to be most different from all other choices is Bard, Cleric, Monk or Paladin but if someone else wants to claim any of those go right ahead I do my best creative work limiting my workspace.
May 21, 2024 12:37 am
quilltid says:
Just to review, we are building Level 5 characters with character creation content from Player's Handbook, Tasha's, and Xanathar's. You may use whatever template you like, but the standard Dungeons & Dragons 5th character template or Level Up Advanced 5e template may be useful to remind you if you have inspiration available.
Took me a bit but figured out we can choose from the standard Races from the PHB (Dragonborn, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, Human and Tiefling) and the oodles of class options available from the other two sources.

Regarding class selection, I'm not super fussed and as I'm last to post will just fill in the blank once everyone else makes their final choice. With all the class options available and starting at level 5 it should be pretty interesting.
May 21, 2024 1:07 am
Ok so here is going to be my selection

Tiefling Soul Knife Rouge.
May 21, 2024 1:36 am
Sorry, had to do a bit of research. If you want to play a flying race, I'm OK with that since you guys have the ability to take flying spells as well. You guys can also multiclass if you like.
May 21, 2024 4:46 am
For stats, your choice to roll or go with standard array. If you would like to roll, please do so here in Session Zero. If you don’t like the results of your rolls here, you may opt to choose standard array instead. Please let me know if you have any questions about rolling for stats.
May 21, 2024 4:52 am
Roll straight or roll then assign? I am assuming roll then assign but just being sure

Edit: it looks like it is in sword coast adventuring guide but could I go winged tiefling?
Last edited May 21, 2024 4:53 am
May 21, 2024 6:26 am
quilltid says:
For stats, your choice to roll or go with standard array. If you would like to roll, please do so here in Session Zero. If you don’t like the results of your rolls here, you may opt to choose standard array instead. Please let me know if you have any questions about rolling for stats.
Just to confirm about rolling, it's 4d6, dropping the lowest?
May 21, 2024 7:43 am
Okay. Thanks. :)

For a wizard the most important question of all: how much money do we get for our characters?
As spells are my most important class feature, and spells equals money, please be generous. ;D
quilltid says:
Free Feat - We are making Level 5 characters so if you are asking if you can have a starting feat in addition to the feat you can take from passing Level 4, I think it may make you all a little OP. If you think it makes it more fun though, I can put it up to a vote if everyone wants that option.
Please let us vote. I really enjoy this free feat, as I have played 5e so often that a little change and a path away from the strict class-abilities to a more self-determined character build is very welcome. :)
quilltid says:
Flanking - I am not planning to use maps for this one-shot
Well maps are always gold, but if you want to do it Theater of the Mind-style that's also good. But I've to warn you: I will have to ask most of the time before casting an area of effect spell (fireball!!! grease, web, ...) if there is no map, as I don't know how fare anybody is, or where my allies are positioned exactly. DnD is game designed for mini-maps in my mind. (Therefore all the excact distance information in the texts, especially the spells)
Quote:
If you want to describe in a battle how you flank an enemy and it makes sense, I will allow it. Example: A goblin attempts to hit me, the wizard, but misses and our rogue sneaks behind and wants to flank attack.
Well in this case the rogue would have had Adv in any case, as he is a hidden attacker. ;)
I personally love the flanking-rules as they provide a faster combat through fewer misses. In this case, as a wizard, I am okay playing without them, just wanted to check.

@everybody>

Atm I am tinking of an human/custom lineage order of the scribe wizard with the classic sage background. :)
So history, arcana & investigation is taken care of. Please provide meatshield(s) and skill-monkey(s). *g*
May 21, 2024 8:56 am
soises says:
Okay. Thanks. :)

For a wizard the most important question of all: how much money do we get for our characters?
As spells are my most important class feature, and spells equals money, please be generous. ;D
Excellent question! Max starting gold X 5 for fifth Level?
May 21, 2024 10:53 am
I think I've decided on Paladin, Gnomish Paladin to be specific not sure what exactly I have in mind for characterization yet but I'll get there when I get there.
As always if someone wants to play a Paladin feel free to boot me from the role, I don't mind coming up with something else.
May 21, 2024 12:30 pm
OOC:
Rolling...

Rolls

Abilities - (4d6H3, 4d6H3, 4d6H3, 4d6H3, 4d6H3, 4d6H3)

4d6H3 : (1361) = 10

4d6H3 : (5115) = 11

4d6H3 : (3414) = 11

4d6H3 : (4465) = 15

4d6H3 : (5622) = 13

4d6H3 : (2511) = 8

May 21, 2024 1:03 pm
Stats

Rolls

4d6H3

(5541) = 14

4d6H3

(2164) = 12

4d6H3

(4666) = 18

4d6H3

(1423) = 9

4d6H3

(1652) = 13

4d6H3

(2411) = 7

May 21, 2024 1:54 pm
Yes to roll then assign, 4d6 dropping the lowest for stats. If you don't like your rolls, feel free to opt for standard array instead.

Since Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is a supplement to PHB, you can go with winged tiefling if you like.

OK, I will take making maps for our one-shot into consideration.

From what I understood from the rules, there has to be at least 2 players on opposite sides of an enemy within 5 feet doing melee attacks for flanking to work. If this is incorrect, please let me know!

Starting gold can be as listed in the Dungeon Master's Guide, 500 gold plus I'll allow max on the 1d10 × 25 gold: 750 gold

All right, let's put adding free feat up to vote!

Play with a free feat?

Yes
Vote to view results.
No
Vote to view results.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.