Scene 2: The Caves

Jul 31, 2024 12:39 am
The group completes their short rest in the quiet, but safe dining room of Inn Plain Sight.

Merton settles into one of the corner booths, refocusing and recovering energy before they venture through the secret entrance. He takes nibbles at the hot wings and even a bit of karaage spider when the others aren't looking.

Hindle settles down at the opposite end of Merton's booth and takes time to rest and recover like the others. He makes sure to secure the hot wing sauce he had grabbed while using a new bottle from the kitchen for the hot wings and possibly karaage spider he eats before they continue on.

Leana settles into a cozy niche by the bar. It almost seems designed to have the best view of the room while keeping its inhabitants secure and pocketed away from eavesdroppers. She indulges in the herb-infused water she has prepared before meditating in preparation for the next leg of their adventure.

Brickowsky and Roaring Kitty make sure to help themselves to hot wings and potentially karaage spider with the good ale he had found when they first entered the inn. Once they have both had their fill, he burps in appreciation and announces to the others: "Ready when you are."

One by one, each of the adventurers suits back up and gather again at the secret entrance. No skittering can be heard, just the smell of fried spider and grease permeates the air. They walk gingerly through the entrance and turn the corner, Merton making sure to grab another torch to light their way. Brickowsky recognizes the stone in the tunnel as the same old stone from the tower he had seen in parts of the wine cellar. Soon, the tunnel splits left and right. What will our adventurers do next?
Jul 31, 2024 12:42 am
OOC:
my psychic whispers lasts 6hrs. How much of that do we have left? Hate to split the party but just to be sure
Jul 31, 2024 1:03 am
OOC:
You guys spent about 2 hours in Scene 1 and then 1 hour of short rest. You should have about 3 hours left of your psychic whispers
Jul 31, 2024 11:03 am
Staying still for a few heartbeats, Brickowsky tries to find a difference between these two tunnels. Noises from one side? A special odor from the other one? Maybe there arre tracks coming or going?

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+8)

(4) + 8 = 12

Aug 1, 2024 7:06 pm
Brickowsky looks from one tunnel to the other, cocking his head to one side and inhaling deep, he tries to find clues that differentiate the two. Unfortunately, the spiders that skittered about earlier seem to have scattered any tracks that may have existed before. He can tell water seems to be dripping a bit louder from the right tunnel. He also notices the stones are a bit different in each tunnel.
OOC:
Brickowsky can go ahead and make a history check for his stonecunning if desired. Everyone else can also do more investigation or prep if they wish before forging ahead!
Aug 2, 2024 5:42 am
OOC:
come on everybody! :)

Rolls

History - (1d20+8)

(17) + 8 = 25

Aug 2, 2024 8:40 am
Moving forwards from the back of the group Hindle begins to squat down next to a crispy looking spider and says, "Eenie. Meenie. Miney. ...lets just go to the right?"

Taking out one of the bottles of sauce, he pull on one of the blackened legs until it snaps off and dribbles a little sauce on it before taking a tentative nibble on the broken end. After a bit of soft crunching, he stands, putting the capped sauce away, and takes a bigger bite. Crunching more loudly and waving the saucey leg to the right questioningly, Hindle waits expectantly for the party's decision.
Aug 4, 2024 2:00 am
As Hindle chomps down loudly on his karaage spider leg, Brickowsky crouches down to get a closer look at the stones lining each side. Both tunnels have stones from the old tower, but the left side's stones look more recently placed based on the scratches and coloring. By going to the right, it is more likely they will be following the tunnel referenced in the letter on the back of the Jadescales family portrait. With a nod of his head, he beckons to Hindle and the rest and trots down the right tunnel.
Aug 4, 2024 2:38 am
Soon the tunnel opens up into a large open cavern. A large body of water, perhaps a part of a sunken lake, appears and water drips into it from the stalactites. The sky can be seen through the large opening above the lake and the sun is barely peeking over the edge. Sunlight plays gently off the water and greenery that grows around this sunken lake. On the opposite side of the lake and through the opening, the old tower can be seen and throws a shadow onto the left side of the lake. Around the water, moss and flowers grow and spiders can be seen retreating into the shadows of the rocks and stalagmites. A tree, twisted with age, grows on the far side of this lake. On the right side of the lake, an owlbear snoozes in a ray of sun.
Aug 4, 2024 7:24 am
The druid touches the water, then smells and tastes it. She wants to see what kind of lake it is and if something dangerous might live inside. Then she looks around for material to build a raft with. "I don't suppose you want to swim through?"
Aug 4, 2024 7:48 am
Trodding along, the dwarf suddenly stops and takes the scenery in. Stroking his bald chin, he rumbles: "The tree hides the way - Evil makes merry while good sleeps." Wasn't this what he had read carved in on the bar?

Sneezing a few times, he holds his nostril closed with thick fingers and while fiddling with his other hand after the concoction Leana had brewed for him. Drinking the strange stuff with eager gulps, the wizard finds some release and lets his hand sink.

"Ah! Better." he proclaims with a thankful nod in the direction of the druid.

"I don't want to cross this lake per raft. Let us find a way around. Maybe you can talk to the owlbear, Leana?"
Aug 4, 2024 7:58 am
"If it wants to talk to me, I certainly can. But why disturb the untouched nature," Leana indicates the whole surrounding of the lake with a gesture of her right arm, "when we can glide over the water and not be a nuisance to the inhabitants of this fine place?" The young druid hesitates to become a threat to spiders and other critters if there is no good reason for it. This is a place of plants and animals - not of people.
Aug 4, 2024 10:50 am
"Then build us a sturdy raft." the dwarf grumbles, while crossing his arms infront of his chest. You've to find some compromisses when traveling with a Druid Brickowsky thinks by himself.

Helping with the woodcraft, the wizard would assamble some useful pieces.
Aug 5, 2024 4:43 am
Walking up to the edge of the lake, Hindle muses, "It's been a while since I've been on the water. Though a raft is a far thing from a ship of the sea."

"Miet, how about you fly over and take a look see what we are headed into. Keep your distance from that creature, just in case it's not as sleepy as it looks."
OOC:
Hindle has Miet scout out the far shore and the base of the tower, paying particular interest to any openings or portals.

Also, how far across would we guess this lake to be? How much of the chamber does it occupy? Fully across from side to side?

Rolls

Pixie Perception - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Aug 5, 2024 5:36 pm
I am one too, to think about avoiding the Owlbear in the distance. Merton says and attempts to help with the raft
Aug 6, 2024 1:16 am
Leana, Brickowsky, and Merton split up on their side of the lake to find wood or other material that can float over the lake and be used as raft material. There do seem to be quite a few branches scattered about the ground. They keep a healthy distance from the stalagmites and rocks hiding possible spiders and the ray of sun the owlbear snoozes in. As they busy themselves, Hindle crouches down a little closer to the lake and whispers with Miet to check out the far side of the lake. Though not a sea, it is easy to tell the water is calm and he estimates it is about 300 feet across. Looking side to side, there's a decent amount of space for them to walk around the lake two by two except where vegetation or rock formations may force them to move single-file.
Miet flies up rather high to go across the lake. Though the water is calm, her experience with Hindle has taught her not to get too close if she doesn't know what is there. The twisted old tree appears harmless as its leaves wave gently in the breeze that flows down through the opening. There is a surprising lack of vegetation within 5 feet of the tree. She can see some spiders bigger than the ones they encountered earlier running about, but they don't seem to be bothered by her, the owlbear, or the new visitors so far. She does not see any doors or openings to get out of the cavern at this time.
OOC:
Does Miet want to fly up out of the opening too or explore one of the other sides of the lake?
Aug 6, 2024 2:19 am
quilltid says:
OOC:
Does Miet want to fly up out of the opening too or explore one of the other sides of the lake?
OOC:
Ahhh! The tower is above on the surface! Yes, please.
Aug 7, 2024 3:06 am
Miet flies further up and sees not far from the tree, but hidden by a stalagmite, are some rather large purple mushrooms. She finally exits the opening and flies closer to the base of the tower. She eyes another owlbear snoozing about 30 feet from the tower. She does a quick round about the tower, but whatever door was there seems to be buried behind rubble or vines as she cannot easily locate it. There are windows higher up the tower that appear to have no coverings. She returns to Hindle to let him know what she has found, but a little tired from flying about so much.
Aug 7, 2024 4:20 am
I do worry about what is IN the lack I will admit
Aug 7, 2024 6:39 am
valdattaMadun says:
I do worry about what is IN the lack I will admit
Calling to Merton jovially, "I shouldn't worry too much. This is more of a pond than a true lake. Can't be anything too large and bitey.

Stopping as if something in the depths caught his eye, he looks more closely at the dark waters, and continues almost to himself, "...though, given this is some kind of sink hole, who knows how deep it might be. ...nor what fell and awful things could come slithering up from unfathomable depths."

Flinching out of his reverie as Miet alights on his shoulder, Hindle listens carefully to her report. Hindle halts the others in their endeavors for a moment to relay the information. "...big tree with bare ground around it. Not sure what that means... ...giant spiders traipsing about on the far side... ...no obvious way up or out over there... ....ANOTHER owlbear?? ...No obivious way in at the base of the tower..."
OOC:
Hindle relays the information as Miet observed above in full. If I missed something in my little summary, it was just a mistake.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.