Scene 3: The Dungeon

load previous
Sep 14, 2024 7:50 pm
Adrasthea says:
OOC:
yes. AC is 12. If all that acid damage goes to me, Leanodile is no more. The druid should transform back in which case I'm not sure where the ooze goes 🤔 After she reverts, Leana then should have 17hp left.
OOC:
In that case, the ooze will still stay in place at C6, since it is only released from the grapple due to Leanodile changing back to Leana. Yes, unfortunately the acid damage also goes to Leanodile since she was the only enemy it could attack during the grapple. Leana's turn then!
Sep 15, 2024 7:30 am
As the acid splashes against the crocodile’s scaly hide, there’s a sizzling sound. The druid, still in her wildshape, feels the heat seeping through, and before she can react, her crocodile form begins to wobble like a soap bubble about to burst.

With a sudden POP, her snout shortens, her tail shrinks, and scales vanish in a comical puff of mist, leaving her standing—fully human again—staring wide-eyed at the source of her undoing: the pathetic remains of the last black ooze.

"Oh well," she sighs and flexes her fingers, preparing for a more traditional—and significantly less reptilian—response. "Of course. I always forget about the acid," she grumbles under her breath. Leana conjures up a vine out of the dark air surrounding them. For a moment it moves serpentlike above her head, growing spikes - then it follows the druid's rapid movement downward and meets the offending black puddle with force.

Rolls

thorn whip attack - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

dmg - (2d6)

(32) = 5

Sep 15, 2024 7:58 am
Perceiving the floating objects, the dwarf calls out towards the cells: "Hey there! Who sits behind bars? Why are these things coming in our direction?"

If the black ooze is still assaulting Leana, the magician will shoot a fourth beam at it, if is already dissolving after his druid friends attack, he would aim the ray at the thingy leading the others towards the group. Maybe it is time to dispel some magic? Waiting for an answer Brickowsky digs in his memory for the appropriate spell.

With a wave of his wand he also tries to shove the monster away that is the nearest to their group.
OOC:
Free Action: calling out
Standard: Fire Bolt, but with force
Bonus: DC 16 strength save, or be shoved 5 foot back, ooze or flying thing.

Rolls

Force Bolt - (1d20+8, 2d10)

1d20+8 : (18) + 8 = 26

2d10 : (78) = 15

Sep 15, 2024 11:24 pm
Leana channels her wrath at the remaining ooze and its remains splash away harmlessly from Leana and the adventurers, acrid smoke filling the dungeon once again.

As Brickowsky sees Leana dispatch the last black pudding, he turns to the floating objects and prepares to push it away.

Rolls

Floating Objects Strength Save - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sep 15, 2024 11:32 pm
Brickowsky pushes the floating objects back and hears a little yelp in response to his question.

"Oh, you can call me Alax! That jelly cube thing, whatever you call it, is protecting its baby. It was fed my frying pan and that other adventurer's, um, head..."

Hindle looks at Brickowsky with surprise at the answer and decides his next move.

https://i.imgur.com/6stnIBd.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Hindle
2. Merton
3. Floating Objects
4. Leana
5. Brickowsky
Sep 16, 2024 2:58 am
Unsure what is going on, "Those things were amorphos not cubes", Hindle almost begins the incantation to pierce the veil but that voice gives him pause. It did not sound like an adersary's and they would surely be encompassed. ...after a moment, Hindle decides to blast the menacing skull out of existance.
OOC:
Eldritch blasts at the "floating skull"

Rolls

Blast1 @ skull - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Blast1 Damage (force) - (1d10+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Blast2 @ skull - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Blast2 Damage (Force) - (1d10+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Sep 16, 2024 9:05 pm
Hindle refocuses on the floating skull and objects, shooting an eldritch blast out of each hand at it. It looks like his blasts stop and explode in midair, but the objects wobble in the air a bit at the force. Merton peeks around Hindle again and looks curiously at what his friend is blasting at.

Initiative List

1. Merton
2. Floating Objects
3. Leana
4. Brickowsky
5. Hindle
Sep 16, 2024 9:21 pm
Hindle! stand down. Merton says as he steps out from behind his friend.

Alax, where is the rest of you? I wouldn't suppose a floating skull needs a frying pan much? How can we help?
Sep 17, 2024 1:23 am
Tapping his lip with a forefinger, Hindle murmurs, "Something is shielding the skull. ...Something isn't right."
Last edited September 17, 2024 1:23 am
Sep 17, 2024 2:27 am
"Oh, I'm here, in this cell!"

A green claw peeks out of one of the cells and waves before quickly going back inside.

"The best thing would be to get me and the other guy out of here, but you'll have to calm down this jelly cube probably. Oh, if only I had some of my hot sauce..."
Sep 19, 2024 2:54 am
With the second mentioning of cube shaped jellies, Hindle attempt to find what the hell this guy is talking about. "What is all this about cubes?" A moment later, the second odd thing said registers and Hindles eyes sting momentarily at the memory of his dousing at the inn. "Hot sauce? I have some fairly piquant wing sauce. What good is hot sauce to you now?"

Rolls

Perception (disadvantaged dim light?) - (2d20L1+5)

(1015) + 5 = 15

Sep 19, 2024 10:07 pm
As Merton and Hindle talk with Alax about the jelly cube, the jelly cube takes the opportunity to move closer to the adventurers. As it moves closer, it is much easier for Hindle to tell now that the floating skull, yellow gem, and frying pan are floating within a shiny clear cube: a gelatinous cube monster!

Alax replies "I used to feed the little cube hot sauce and it'd leave me alone. If you have any of my hot sauce, it might distract it while we get out of here! Of course, blasting it away will also take care of the issue..."

Leana looks at the others and makes her move.
OOC:
I will have Merton hold his move for now until @valdattaMadun posts what Merton will do.
https://i.imgur.com/xFxRI6U.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Leana
2. Brickowsky
3. Hindle
4. Merton
5. Floating Objects
Sep 20, 2024 4:29 am
"Squid rings!! Those things are't floating! They are inside that thing!" Reaching down to scramble around in his beltpouch, "Watch out! It's heading right for us!"
Sep 20, 2024 3:23 pm
Protecting its young is only natural. "Let's deal with this peacefully", she states and walks over to Hindle. "Locks are your thing, I believe" she whispers and takes the last bit of hot sauce. The young druid opens the flask and says in a deep friendly voice: "Who's a good cube. You are. Are you not? Yes, you are. Come li'l cubey, cubey. Come get the hot sauce..." She takes a few steps back and as she is sure she has got its attention and the cube comes for the bottle, she throws it into the corner farthest away from Ajax' cell.

Leana moves back in the direction of the cell.
OOC:
@Dhakhan: thought I'd save us a round so you can lockpick away. If you rather throw the sauce, I'll rewrite the post :)
Sep 20, 2024 8:56 pm
OOC:
so the skull is within a gelatinous cube...
Merton takes good aim and launches a psychic blade on the cube
OOC:
Steady Aim Bonus Action
Attack action

Rolls

Psychic Blades to hit - (2d20h1+8)

(112) + 8 = 19

Psychic Blades damage - (1d6+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

sneak attack - (3d6)

(513) = 9

Sep 22, 2024 2:11 am
As Hindle warns the party about what they are facing, Merton decides to focus on either ending this cube or at least getting the skull out of the cube. He pops out again from behind Hindle and sends another psychic blade at the cube. The cube, so focused on moving forward, is surprised by the blade.

The psychic blade slices right through the cube and the skull is blasted out and onto the ground, right in front of the cell the green claw poked out of!

Leana watches this unfold and decides to end the conflict. She confidently strides up to Hindle, retrieves one of the hot sauce bottles he stowed, and catches the attention of the gelatinous cube and its baby with the Inn's hot sauce. As the cube and its baby begin to move with the movement of the hot sauce bottle, Leana moves further back and chucks it back towards where they had entered! The cubes dash past everyone without touching any of them and starts slurping up the hot sauce. The clear cube begins to take on a tinge of red from the hot sauce it absorbs. The adventurers can see the gem and frying pan still floating inside of it. The baby cube is now visible. It is barely a foot in height and also slowly turning red as it eats its fill of hot sauce.
OOC:
Yay! We are out of combat and from now on we will do the block initiative fighting.

Rolls

Skull Sniped? - (1d20)

Sep 22, 2024 10:17 am
Looking rather pleased how Leana handled the situation, Brickowsky calls out: "Help is on the way, Ajax.

Merton, please free this strapping greenscaled lad out his predicament."
Locked doors seem to be the halflings speciality.

Close to the gloomy area, the dwarf waddles forward and picks up the curious items. A shield, a book and a frosty staff. If there is more, he would also put it in the bag of holding for the moment. Also the scimitar if possible. If not, because the blade is locked in a cell, the wizard would send Roaring Kitty with the aid of his mage hand to gather the weapon.

Glancing over to the little cube family, Brickowsky tries discerning if their group is save here for the moment, or if they should move along, before talking to the inn owner. And talking a closer look at the loot. Maybe they could use some of it on their quest?
Sep 23, 2024 3:02 am
Alax replies with "Okay, thanks..." and waits to be released.

Brickowsky gathers up the items he initially saw in the dungeon: a shield, a book and a frosty staff. To be safe, he and Roaring Kitty stay a safe distance away as Mage Hand removes the scimitar from the skeleton's bony grasp. The group will need to take time to identify the items and their usefulness. He glances at the cubes, but notices they are now fully red and not moving at all. Just a little wiggle from the baby cube once in a while. From what he remembers about gelatinous cubes, they are probably satiated and will not purposefully move to absorb anything for 12 hours. They do block the way they came in though so no other way but forward now. With the gelatinous cubes no longer hostile and the black puddings dissolved, they should easily be able to rest without issue.

Before discussing rest with the others, he tries to determine if the gem and frying pan that float inside the adult cube would be important. The frying pan, at least, was mentioned by Alax so they may have more of an opinion. And gems are always good to have for dwarves. The most interesting thing about the yellow gem is that it seems to be glowing.
Sep 25, 2024 11:14 am
Adrasthea says:
OOC:
@Dhakhan: thought I'd save us a round so you can lockpick away. If you rather throw the sauce, I'll rewrite the post :)
OOC:
Not a worry, though i think Merton is better than i with the picking of the locks."
Sep 26, 2024 5:49 am
Before Merton can approach Alax's cell, he speaks up again. "Um, also, I think there's someone knocked out in the cell next to me too if we can check on them..."
OOC:
After you guys are done exploring and freeing the prisoners, I think you can do another short rest if you like. During the short rest, everyone can level up! Got to be ready for the second half of this adventure.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.