Character Generation/Advancement

Nov 10, 2016 6:46 pm
Use this thread to talk about character ideas and form bonds to the other members of the party

1. Standard Array or Point Buy
2. Any class and race available in the official rules is allowed (Races from Volo's Guide or Unearthed Arcana have to be pre-approved)
3. Leveling times will be decided by me, not through XP
4. Check out the optional background stuff below
Nov 10, 2016 7:01 pm
I'm going to write up a Human Fighter, DEX-based with a focus on ranged attacks. Background of a soldier, which leaves open the connections for anyone who might be affiliated with the military or government of wherever we hail from.

Using Point-Buy!
STR 13
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 8
Nov 10, 2016 7:08 pm
Dwarf cleric for me. I'll post stats in a little bit.
Nov 10, 2016 7:12 pm
Below is a background template that applies to any background that you select or create. You can replace or augment some or all of the options in your chosen background with one or more of the elements given below. Each section tells you whether it replaces or adds to your background.

As the Cult of the Dragon has grown bolder, its actions have drawn attention. Your character has stumbled into the Cult’s scheme in some manner or has a connection to dragons. The following tables provide you with bonds tailored to this campaign. Use them in place of or in addition to the ones you selected from (or created for) your background.

Bond (d10)
1. Leosin Erlanthar, a wandering monk, once saved your life. He’s sent urgent word for you to meet him in a small town called Greenest. Looks like it’s time to pay off that debt.

2. When an orc raid drove your family from your home, the people of Greenest took you in. Anyone who threatens Greenest is your sworn enemy.

3. Every five nights, you have a strange sequence of apocalyptic dreams. The world is destroyed by cold, choking fumes, lightning storms, waves of acid, and horrible fire. Each time, the dream ends with ten evil eyes glaring at you from the darkness. You feel a strange compulsion to travel to Greenest. Perhaps the answer to the riddle of your dreams awaits you there.

4. Ontharr Frume, a crusading warrior and champion of good, is your friend and mentor. He has asked you to travel to Greenest in search of rumors of increasing dragon activity.

5. You have heard rumors that your close childhood friend, a half-elf named Talis, has been kidnapped by a strange group of dragon cultists. Your investigations into the cult have led you to the town of Greenest. You must save her!

6. Being the grandchild of a renowned dragon slayer is usually a good way to impress people, but just last week a gang of ruffians attack you. You barely escaped with your life, but as you fled, the ruffians told you that the Cult of the Dragon never forgets and always avenges. You’re hoping to lie low in a sleepy little town called Greenest until this blows over.

7. On his deathbed, your father confessed that he had become involved with a group called the Cult of the Dragon. They paid him to smuggle goods across the Sword Coast. Wracked by guilt, he begged you to investigate the cult and undo the evil he may have helped foster. He urged you to begin your search in a town called Greenest.

8. The dragons destroyed everything you hold dear. They killed your family and destroyed your home. Now, with nothing but what you carry on your back and a horrid scar of the near fatal wounds you sustained in the attack, you seek revenge.

9. You and your family were members of the Cult of the Dragon, until your rivals in the cult arranged to wipe you out. Though they slaughtered your kin, you survived, but they think you’re dead. Now is your chance for vengeance! Your hit list consists of three names: a human cultist named Frulam Mondath, a half-orc named Bog Luck, and a half-dragon named Rezmir. You have arrived in Greenest, knowing it’s next on the cult’s list of targets.

10. You have a secret. You once were a gold dragon who served Bahamut. You were too proud and vain, to the point that Bahamut decided to teach you a lesson. You have been trapped in a weak, humanoid body, with your memories of your former life but a dim shadow. You remember only one thing with perfect clarity: Bahamut’s command to go into the world and prove your devotion to the cause of good. If you prove worthy, on your death you will return to his side in your true form.

Optional Features
Below are two optional features that you can choose in place of the feature normally granted by your background.

Optional Feature: Cult of the Dragon Inflitrator
You have infiltrated the ranks of the Cult of the Dragon. Having spied on the organization for quite some time, you are familiar with its inner workings and customs. You have a second identity as an initiate of the cult, enough of a facade to blend in as a simple grunt or servant.

Optional Feature: Dragon Scholar
You have studied dragons and their lore for many years. You can automatically identify locations built or used by dragons and can identify dragon eggs and scales by sight. If you fail an Intelligence check to recall lore relating to dragons, you know someone or some book you can consult for the answer unless the DM rules that the lore is unknown.
Nov 10, 2016 7:44 pm
Two characters approved so far,

Erich: Half-Elf Sorcerer
Bughu: Human Fighter (Archery)

Erich looks good, just need you to put the traits, flaws, etc down and you should have 8 HP (6 from class, 1 from con mod, and 1 from Draconic Resilience)

Bughu, I noticed two hand crossbows and that you have Crossbow Expert as a feat. Just want to say that you can't dual wield hand crossbows, but you can fire one as an action, then again as a bonus action. Other than that possible misconception, looks good :)
Nov 10, 2016 7:52 pm
Naatkinson says:
Bughu, I noticed two hand crossbows and that you have Crossbow Expert as a feat. Just want to say that you can't dual wield hand crossbows, but you can fire one as an action, then again as a bonus action. Other than that possible misconception, looks good :)
Thanks for catching that. I will change one of the hand crossbows to another martial weapon.

Edit: I also swapped the handaxes for a light crossbow.
Last edited November 10, 2016 8:13 pm
Nov 10, 2016 8:12 pm
I remembered to add his Con and forgot his Draconic Resilience. D'oh. Additionally, I swapped out his Hermit bond for the one of the campaign variants.
Nov 10, 2016 10:05 pm
Oridun: Shield Dwarf Cleric accepted. Still has quite a bit of stuff to fill in (Cleric Domain, Background, Equipment, etc.) but stats look good so far :)
Nov 10, 2016 10:15 pm
Yes sorry. Today's my day with my baby girl, so I'm filling in things as I can.
Nov 10, 2016 10:16 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Yes sorry. Today's my day with my baby girl, so I'm filling in things as I can.
No hurry at all! Spend time with the baby while you got her :)
Nov 11, 2016 1:56 am
We've got a pair of twin baby girls at home. I totally understand the time constraint. It's what I love about the PbP world. Much easier to be active.
Nov 11, 2016 3:20 pm
Ranged death dealer, tough cleric, and a finger wiggler. Paladin it is
Nov 11, 2016 3:21 pm
*wiggle waggle*
EXPLOSION!
Nov 11, 2016 3:45 pm
Just don't burn the guy keeping those with bad tempers and sharp objects away from you.
Nov 11, 2016 4:00 pm
Yeah, that's always been a gripe of mine when playing the plate-wrapped type folks.
Nov 11, 2016 6:11 pm
Looks like everyone has submitted their character :)

Gonna give you guys the weekend for the finishing touches, or longer if you need it. Feel free to make up a backstory and put it in your notes (Super detailed is not necessary, but I am totally ok if you want to make it long)

Naatkinson sent a note to Ujimona
Do you guys want to be total strangers to each other, or have you known each other for a while?
Nov 11, 2016 6:16 pm
Erich would be pretty safely unknown to most, I would think. His family name is pretty recognizable in the area, but he isn't. He's just come back out of his hermitage in the past month or so.
Nov 11, 2016 6:17 pm
I wouldn't mind knowing someone. I picked the Ontharr Frume bond, and perhaps I would have journeyed with the paladin or cleric after my tenure in the military.
Nov 11, 2016 7:12 pm
Cancerman I'm still fleshing out my backstory, but I picked the soldier background. Perhaps Oridun and Bughu served together.
Nov 11, 2016 8:07 pm
Naatkinson, I'm choosing my prepared spells for the start of the game. Are we on the road to Greenest?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.