Chapter One: Greenest in Flames!

load previous
Dec 17, 2016 10:14 pm
OOC:
No food? Aren't there supposed to be supplies?
Dec 17, 2016 10:16 pm
OOC:
My apologies. There's nothing of value to adventurers!
You also notice that the mill wheel is still going, and there are large sacks of grain all over the place.
Dec 17, 2016 10:18 pm
I take one of the shortbows. Any arrows? Also is there something we can use to carry the grain? A wheelbarrow or small cart?
Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm
There are a total of 33 arrows between two quivers.

There are a number of carts, but you do remember that a small group of townsfolk was being organized to come defend the place, they just needed you to come stop the raiders from lighting it aflame first because you'd be faster.
Dec 17, 2016 11:33 pm
Bughu! You want any of these arrows! And when did Escobert say those villagers were coming to the mill?
Dec 18, 2016 6:30 am
Bughu gives the arrows a once-over. "Hold onto them until we return to the keep," he says, moving upstairs to the loft for a better vantage point to defend the mill.
Dec 19, 2016 10:12 pm
About 10 minutes later a small group of townsfolk approach, all armed with bows as well as close-quarters weapons, "We were sent by the captain to take over here so you can get back to the keep. Please let him know that we made it here when you return," the obvious leader says. He's a young man, probably around 25 years, with strong arms and sharp eyes.
Dec 19, 2016 10:26 pm
Bughu looks over the townsfolk to note how much ammunition they carry. If they do not appear to have enough, he indicates that the arrows confiscated by the raiders should be left behind for them.

Wordlessly, Bughu nods and descends from the loft. He heads for the wall to take up position and cover the party's return to the tunnel.
Dec 19, 2016 10:35 pm
The men aren't overburdened with ammunition, but they gladly take the extra from you. The return to the tunnel is blissfully uneventful.
Dec 19, 2016 10:46 pm
OOC:
I leave the full quiver but I keep the one with 13 arrows and the short bow. I want a missile weapon.
Dec 19, 2016 10:48 pm
When we get back to the keep I find Escobert. What did you learn from the prisoner we left with you?
Dec 19, 2016 10:56 pm
You make your way back to Escobert without incident. "Turns out that this one was merely a peon, just keeps raving about the cult. Passed out a bit ago, didn't enjoy the hammer to the foot," he says grimly, "Couldn't handle the pain."

"How did the work at the mill go?" he asks.
Dec 19, 2016 11:04 pm
Bughu lets the others discuss things with Escobert, while he journeys to the wall to help keep watch and check on the status of both the defenders and the attackers watching the gate.
Dec 19, 2016 11:13 pm
There was a group there, a few better armed and armored. We killed a couple and the rest retreated into the mill and shut themselves in good. We were trying to ken how to storm tha place when we heard 'em arguin'. We were able to talk 'em out and convince them ta leave without a fight. Then the lads ye sent showed, and we came back here.
Dec 20, 2016 12:10 pm
What needs done next?
Dec 20, 2016 5:48 pm
"Well, however you did it, I am glad that you did," Escobert says, "It's been surprisingly quiet the last little while."

You look over the field and see that the group of raiders that was amassing has grown much larger. From the darkness, a creature strides into the dim light of the dying fires around the keep. Although it is shaped like a human, it is at least 7 feet tall, its skin is covered in blue scales, its fingers bear wicked claws, and its face has the muzzle and reptilian eyes of a dragon. The creature stops about 80 yards from the main gate of the keep and scans the walls. A line of kobolds fans out behind it. With their spears, they prod four human prisoners into the dim light. You can make out a woman, a teenage boy in a blood-soaked tunic, and two children. The the half-dragon hails the keep.

"Defenders of Greenest! This has been a successful night, and I am feeling generous. Do you see these four pitiful, useless prisoners? We have no need for them, so I will trade them back to you. Send out your best warrior to fight me, and you can have these four in exchange."

From further down the wall, you hear a man shout, "Elda! Let go of me you bastards, he has my sister!" Looking that way, you see a man in chain mail straining against a couple of others, trying to head toward the doors to the keep.

"Don't be a fool, Markguth, he'll cut you down right in front of their eyes!" another shouts back at him.

Moments later, you see Governor Nighthill hurrying down the wall toward you. Stopping in front of you, he takes a moment to catch his breath, "My friends, you've demonstrated your prowess all through this frightful night. I realize this is an awful burden to ask you to bear, but any of you has a better chance to defeat that horror than my militia have."
Dec 20, 2016 5:56 pm
Bughu descends the stairs to the gate. "Open," he commands, looking directly at those responsible for entrance and exit.
Dec 20, 2016 6:17 pm
The guards look at each other and then shrug, opening the door just wide enough for Bughu to get out.
Dec 20, 2016 6:29 pm
Bughu steps out of the keep to answer the challenge. He stops as soon as he passes the gate, assessing the distance to the half-dragon with his longbow readied. The fighter does not speak immediately, lost in his calculations of wind and weather.
Dec 20, 2016 7:30 pm
The half-dragon smirks at you, "You are the champion that they've chosen? Not very impressive, I must say."
load next

Thread locked