Character Concepts & Campaign Info

load previous
Dec 2, 2016 9:08 am
Yes please! team . awesome at the gmails.
Dec 3, 2016 3:22 am
just realized I didn't include my email in my post, orangeninjadaniel@gmail
Dec 6, 2016 10:43 pm
Something I just noticed...at 3,700 posts, it looks like we have the most active game on the GP forums by a pretty good margin.
Dec 8, 2016 7:25 pm
So, just consolidating some information here:

Prophecy about the Sphere:
"See what lies on Culsu's door:
Sleeping sea-horse, curled in a ball.
Tickle him awake, and your city will fall!
Ice and flood through the broken gate
An early death is the last Child's fate
Set a crown of frost on the tomb of the Old
And never again will men dwell upon Bload."

Prophecy about Hazard's daughter:
""Hazard's daughter
Stops the water
And the cold.
She who makes heads bare
And feeds the sea-horse its own tail.
But oh, the price she pays.
But oh, the price Bload pays."

Information about Ilhaz:

Ilhaz was the legendary titan who, as the stories go, reclaimed Bload from the Lord of Beasts and made it safe for mortals to inhabit. He was said to have died in battle with the Great Green Serpent of the Ophid River, and where he fell became the Isle of Ilhaz, and the Mastaba was erected by the founders of Hazard to honor him.

Isle of Vorch - last known location of Pafthinel

a small, untamed island somewhere off the south tip of Bload, named for the King of Malch who was exiled there some five hundred years ago. It was said that his descendants returned twenty years after his exile to bring him back, but that he fled from them, and hid in the wilderness, and had lost his ability to speak.

Map of Hazard:

http://i.imgur.com/ZcKmEmf.jpg
Dec 8, 2016 7:47 pm
Something I just noticed...at 3,700 posts, it looks like we have the most active game on the GP forums by a pretty good margin.

Wow, that's awesome. I've really enjoyed this, and I am hoping if we run into a little holiday doldrums we can power through and keep going into 2017. My life is such that the idea of arranging/scheduling/attending a weekly session IRL or online is a bit daunting, but this asynchronous format is ideal. Thanks to everyone, and especially PBO.

Theorizing:

Is the sea-horse of the prophecies the Great Green Serpent? Is the 6PC attempting to awaken/resurrect it?
Dec 8, 2016 9:30 pm
Theorizing:

I was running on a belief that the 6PC was attempting to resurrect/reawaken Ilhaz, but after pulling the bits of prophecy and information together I was (a) reminded that Ilhaz is the one who made Bload safe/reclaimed it from the Lord of Beasts and (b) there's a lot of beast imagery going on here: sea-horses, serpents, and Vorch being a place that is wild & untamed - which is where Pafthinel went after learning the nature of the Sphere, and I am now curious as to why... It makes me wonder if 6PC trying to return things to before the time of Ilhaz; but as with all doomsday cults, I'm kinda wondering why you would want to fulfill a prophecy that ends with "never again will men dwell on Bload".

OK, I just removed a long rambling brain dump, so...Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up:

-to my eyes there are two parts to the first prophecy. The first 5 lines deal with Hazard and the Sphere; specifically the Sphere being used to wake/free the Serpent (which I think is both a metaphor for the river in flood and a literal magical beast of some kind). This will destroy Hazard (and I'm taking the "Child" to be the Innocent of Hazard).
-the last two lines, however, refer to something happening to all of Bload and involve a "crown of frost" and the "tomb of the Old". Now, I think the group saw the tomb back in Chapter One when a couple of you ventured under the church. The "crown of frost" is likely the source of the 6PC symbol, but I suspect that whatever it is actually rests with the Serpent; hence the "Ice and flood" that comes from activating the Sphere.
-So, for the 6PC, this plan around the Sphere and Hazard are only stage one on the way to a larger goal, of gaining the "crown of frost" and taking it to the tomb of the Old.
Dec 9, 2016 2:43 am
To see such speculation warms my dark little DM heart and almost makes up for all the lovingly-imagined side quests you've passed up. I hope you'll all stay with this campaign for the long haul, there is much, much more yet to discover.
Dec 9, 2016 12:20 pm
The glyph of the 6PC does remind me of spreading ice crystals.

http://media.gettyimages.com/videos/time-lapse-ice-crystals-forming-on-tree-branch-uk-video-id150218796?s=640x640
Dec 9, 2016 5:29 pm
Another thing to consider: Culsu is a minor goddess associated with doors and passages, both literal and metaphorical. So the broken gate likely has something to do with her particular role.
Dec 12, 2016 8:45 pm
So, at this point, I'm assuming Vad and Shamush have left the game for good. Ruling on the field is that they're staying at Chorcarz's place to keep an eye on Zora. I certainly understand if anyone else is sorta MIA over the holiday season, but I do want to try and keep chapter 4 rolling to an eventual conclusion with whoever is available to play. Not to give anything away, but I'm hoping that once this chapter is done you'll all have a little more clarity of purpose (hard to say, you guys love going off the rails and that's great!) and the interim between chs. 4 and 5 might be a good time to try and recruit another player or two. I might try drumming up some interest on Twitter or the D&D Facebook groups I'm in, but any of you know anyone who might be interested in joining in, tell them to create a GamersPlane account!
Dec 12, 2016 10:39 pm
Thanks pbo! I've been wondering what the holidays might look like; I will be away from my usual haunts between Christmas & New Year's, but I should still be able to check in once or twice a day to try to move this along.

Basically, I think we just need to decide what our next step is, and then we can get moving.
Dec 13, 2016 12:09 pm
BullOctorok says:
Nice!

Sorry for lack of contribution over the past week, I've been ill and hurt my neck so computer use is uncomfortable at the moment.
Dec 13, 2016 12:11 pm
Theory: The sphere is a Pokeball containing a giant Gyrados.
edit: maybe Lapras (water/ice type)
Last edited December 13, 2016 1:20 pm
Dec 13, 2016 12:37 pm
nubs says:
Theorizing:
-to my eyes there are two parts to the first prophecy. The first 5 lines deal with Hazard and the Sphere; specifically the Sphere being used to wake/free the Serpent (which I think is both a metaphor for the river in flood and a literal magical beast of some kind). This will destroy Hazard (and I'm taking the "Child" to be the Innocent of Hazard).
-the last two lines, however, refer to something happening to all of Bload and involve a "crown of frost" and the "tomb of the Old". Now, I think the group saw the tomb back in Chapter One when a couple of you ventured under the church. The "crown of frost" is likely the source of the 6PC symbol, but I suspect that whatever it is actually rests with the Serpent; hence the "Ice and flood" that comes from activating the Sphere.
I think the prophesies imply the whole of Bload is in danger. Maybe Bload itself is a gargantuan sleeping sea monster?
Agree that the 6PC/ice-crown crew want to wake the monster using some sort of ice magic. Zora is prophesied to stop them (destroy a/the crown? "makes heads bare").
Chapter 1, page 26 is where we check out the crypt under Nethuns' (god of oceans, fittingly) temple. Not much there though other than a door with the 6PC glyph on. We failed a perception check which might have given more clues! Amongst the offerings to Nethuns there's an "embryonic horse" which might be connected to the seahorse somehow? Maybe that's what people offer if they can't get hold of a seahorse.
Quote:
Culsu is a minor goddess associated with doors and passages, both literal and metaphorical. So the broken gate likely has something to do with her particular role.
Agree this seems relevant.
Dec 14, 2016 5:31 pm
So, is anybody else seeing an interesting possible connection between this:
Quote:
(Curative ice) "Pure ice harvested from a mountain peak unconquered by men, proven to cure ailments of both the body and the spirit," the man in pink answers. "A single cube costs two silver, but for a proper holistic treatment you will require six cubes, which I would sell you for one gold piece."

"What's so special about the mountain?" asks Zangua, curiosity clear in his voice.

"It is an ennobled place, a peak seen often in dreams, but rarely by eyes. The dirt and impurities of the common Werld cannot reach it. There is nothing to the ice but the purest elemental water and the numinous character of the peak and its masters."
and
Quote:
(Adan) "Do you want to know? Take the mark upon yourself. Be baptized in ice which has no memory of water
Dec 15, 2016 12:38 pm
Good catch, nubs.
Last edited December 15, 2016 12:39 pm
Dec 17, 2016 9:14 pm
So sorry for my absence! December is a busy month in my line of work (Janitor here! You would not believe how many christmas parties people can throw in one building within the span of a week.) I had hoped to be a bit more active, but it's looking like that may not be the case, at least for the foreseeable holiday season. I will do my best to get on as often as I can, but Leth may be a little slow for the next few weeks. I have not abandoned the quest!

Edit: Okay, all caught up. Man, I *did* miss a lot... not sure how or if you'd want to throw me back in to this one at the moment, Octo :/ again, terribly sorry for being gone so long!
Last edited December 17, 2016 10:40 pm
Dec 17, 2016 11:10 pm
If you want to participate in this combat with Adan, we can retcon you in!
Dec 17, 2016 11:20 pm
Works for me; however you want to do it!
Dec 19, 2016 2:21 am
It looks like Ezeriah will be joining us once chapter five starts. Welcome aboard!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.