Character Concepts & Campaign Info

Mar 19, 2015 6:14 pm
Please post your character ideas here!

The campaign setting is going to be the land of Bload, a large (think a bit bigger than Madagascar), geographically varied, and somewhat isolated island. To the east are the orc tribes and dwarven kingdoms of Jerma, to the southeast is the ascendant human empire of Mez and the elves of the vast Suprora forest, but Bload has a reputation as a savage and dangerous realm among the mainland nations and only the bravest traders and explorers venture there.

There are thirteen major city-states in Bload, and rare is the time when at least two of them aren't warring with each other.

The tone of this campaign is going to be sword-and-sorcery (think Conan, not high fantasy). Magic is real and known, but still regarded as wild and dangerous; powerful magic-users are rare and feared, and many of them use their power to conquer. Religion is highly varied and local, each city-state having its own patron gods (many of whom are lesser planar powers who are perfectly happy to be mistaken for, and worshipped as gods), with animistic faiths being common in rural areas.

Elves, orcs, dwarves, and other non-human races are known to Bload, but not native to it. Those who are found there tend to be outcasts and iconoclastic adventurers, and the humans who have inhabited Bload since time out of mind often harbor prejudices and suspicion against them. Tieflings, ironically enough, tend to attract less negative attention than these other non-human races, as they are slightly more commonly found and are better referenced in the history and legends of Bload.

More to come...
Mar 19, 2015 9:56 pm
I'm thinking of playing a Sorcerer. Based on the information you've written above either a half-elf (who can pass for human) or human.

EDIT:

Am I reading the PHB correctly in that humans get to add +1 to each of their abilities? Anyway, I've decided I'm going with a human sorcerer of wild magic with an entertainment background. I figure he can use the entertainment background to perform magic tricks as a way to kind of hide his sorcery from others.
Last edited March 20, 2015 1:20 am
Mar 20, 2015 2:42 am
Huh, missed that this thread was here already, but just finished creating my guy. He's a village medicine-man who lives in a cold, mountainous region, and worships a nature/mountain god. He's been given an important task to carry out by his deity, but he's not sure what that task actually is. He spends a lot of time in the wilderness so has an affinity for nature and a somewhat hermit-esque lifestyle.
(In D&D speak: he's a Neutral Good Cleric of the Nature Domain, so has some Druid-y abilities along with the usual Cleric stuff).
I'm probably going to focus on melee combat + healing spells to start with, since that makes thematic sense for his background (i.e. not much call for holy lightning bolts when you're looking for rare herbs or healing a local villager's broken arm).

(Edit: made slight change to equipment - changed mace to light hammer. Less damage but a hammer seemed more in keeping with the Nordic theme)
Last edited March 20, 2015 11:34 am
Mar 20, 2015 10:15 am
Given this is my first ever proper tabletop RPG game, I'm no doubt gonna have questions cropping up fairly often about D&D mechanics - what's the best place to ask them? This thread? PM to the DM?
Mar 20, 2015 3:50 pm
szemely says:
Am I reading the PHB correctly in that humans get to add +1 to each of their abilities? Anyway, I've decided I'm going with a human sorcerer of wild magic with an entertainment background. I figure he can use the entertainment background to perform magic tricks as a way to kind of hide his sorcery from others.
That appears to be an optional racial benefit for humans and sure, you can take it if you like.
notinventedhere says:
Given this is my first ever proper tabletop RPG game, I'm no doubt gonna have questions cropping up fairly often about D&D mechanics - what's the best place to ask them? This thread? PM to the DM?
This is my first time DMing 5th edition, so hey, we're all learning together here. I think short questions in OOC brakcets are fine inside the gameplay posts; maybe I'll make an open thread for longer rules questions and discussion.
Mar 20, 2015 3:55 pm
So I am building a human female Warlock with a pact with a great old one.
Mar 20, 2015 4:37 pm
BullOctorok says:
szemely says:
Am I reading the PHB correctly in that humans get to add +1 to each of their abilities?
That appears to be an optional racial benefit for humans and sure, you can take it if you like.
I don't think it's an optional thing as it looks like most of the other races get ability bonuses as well (looks like most get +3 over two abilities as opposed to +1 to each). Just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly as it seemed out of whack with the other races. This edition of D&D is the first I've looked at since AD&D back in the early 80s, so I'll probably have quite a few questions.

Either way since I just happened to roll all 18s for my abilities the +1 to each will just be gravy. :-)
Mar 20, 2015 4:39 pm
There are two different choices you can make building a human. +1 to all stats, OR +1 to two different stats, an extra skill and an extra feat.
Mar 20, 2015 4:41 pm
Cockroach says:
There are two different choices you can make building a human. +1 to all stats, OR +1 to two different stats, an extra skill and an extra feat.
Ok, that's what I'm gathering as well from looking at the PHB here in front of me. Seeing that feats are optional I'll take the first option for this character.
Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm
Vad Fekete has been created! Human sorcerer who works as a magician (Entertainer background).
Mar 20, 2015 8:20 pm
oh your face gets obscured
Mar 20, 2015 8:30 pm
Huh, I see what you mean. It looked OK on the iPad.
Mar 20, 2015 8:31 pm
It seems to fluctuate depending on device.
Mar 20, 2015 8:47 pm
I'm cooking up a female human barbarian. I'm taking the +1 to all attributes to get that nice +4 modifier to strength. I'd appreciate a map/list of places so I could get her back story more nailed down. Her Ideal (I think...) ties into where she's from.
Mar 20, 2015 9:05 pm
BirdWizard says:
I'm cooking up a female human barbarian. I'm taking the +1 to all attributes to get that nice +4 modifier to strength. I'd appreciate a map/list of places so I could get her back story more nailed down. Her Ideal (I think...) ties into where she's from.
The map is being worked on as we speak. Would your character be a native of Bload or an outlander?
Mar 20, 2015 9:08 pm
I was thinking a native. I can send you her backstory/personality thing.
Mar 20, 2015 9:17 pm
BirdWizard says:
I was thinking a native. I can send you her backstory/personality thing.
Sure, go ahead and PM it to me? I have the general locations/characteristics of the city-states and regions, but they aren't all named yet.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.