Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Sep 3, 2015 5:35 pm
As Felor crashes through the weeds, he hears two dogs begin to bark. It sounds like they're on the far side of the house.
Sep 4, 2015 2:08 am
"WE'RE ACTUALLY *huff huff* INNOCENT!" Leth shouts over his shoulder at the guards chasing them as he sprints east. "YOU WANT TO FIND *wheeze* THE REAL CULPRITS? *gasp* INVESTIGATE THIS *huff puff* SYMBOL!" Leth yells as he briefly holds up the dagger, and then vaults over the garden wall, leaving the dagger with the crown symbol sitting there on top of the wall itself.

"SORRY TO RUN, BUT *pant* WE'D BE WILLING TO TALK IF *gasp* WE KNEW YOU WOULDN'T *gulp* TRY TO HURT US!" He finishes as he runs, doing his best to keep up with Felor.

Because why not? Even if they think the party is guilty, I'm guessing they might still want to check the symbol out... unless the Witch-men and the Justiciars are in cahoots, which I'm considering as a possibility.
Last edited September 4, 2015 2:11 am
Sep 4, 2015 1:21 pm
Felor hears the barking but continues to head towards the side of the building, an idea forming in his mind.

I want to head past the building, assuming there's a path down the side? (i.e. without having to go through the house)
Sep 4, 2015 1:59 pm
Vad does his best to keep up with the others fighting the temptation to let some magic fly towards the pursuers.
Sep 4, 2015 3:34 pm
Yes, you can go past the building; this area seems to consist mostly of small-parcel estates surrounded by low stone walls, with paths running between some of them.

Behind Leth, the unscarred justiciar shouts, "Behold, the murder weapon!"

Coming around the side, Felor hears a high, tremulous voice: "Truefriend! Beetlebug! What in the Seven Skies are you carrying on about?"
Sep 5, 2015 3:06 am
BullOctorok says:
"Behold, the murder weapon!"
...These guys are idiots. Leth thinks, but his thoughts quickly shift to the task at hand. He can't help but wonder what Felor is up to as they approach the sound of the dogs, but continues following right behind him.

I hope you've got a plan...
Sep 7, 2015 9:55 am
As Felor rounds the corner and sees the dogs, he slows slightly and calls on some knowledge he learnt from a wilderness druid many years ago, muttering a brief incantation and hurriedly waving the appropriate sigils with his free hand. As convincingly and urgently as he can, he yells at the canines: "THE GUARDS CHASING US HAVE SOME DELICIOUS SAUSAGES FOR YOU!".

Cast Speak With Animals on myself.
Sep 7, 2015 3:08 pm
Is Felor... Barking???

OOC: Totally stolen from Felor's twitter feed.
Last edited September 7, 2015 5:00 pm
Sep 8, 2015 3:58 pm
Two thick-necked black dogs come barrelling around the side of the house, headed straight for the guards. Much barking and cursing and yelping in pain soon follow. You hear a smack and a "Leave them! Don't let the guilty escape!" from Scarlip. An old person comes tottering around the corner, dressed in many layers of silks that would once have been obscenely expensive, but are now faded and stained.
Sep 10, 2015 1:42 am
Hearing that the dogs appeared to have at least slowed the pursuers Vad suddenly stops while waving the others on. He starts to motion with his hands and as they begin to glow he takes on the appearance of an old man, nearly a foot shorter than Vad, and dressed in common clothing. As the guards approach he starts to yell, "Three men pushed me down!! Than ran off that way!", pointing in a direction that the others totally did not run.

OOC: Cast a Disguise Self spell.
Last edited September 10, 2015 1:44 am
Sep 10, 2015 4:45 pm
Vad, give me a Deception and a Performance roll.
Sep 10, 2015 5:06 pm
"I hope they're buying this. "

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Performance - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Sep 10, 2015 5:16 pm
Scarlip stops briefly to hear you out, his eyes narrow and hard. He nods at his colleague. "We'll split up. If you find no sign of them, circle around and regroup." The other justiciar leads one guard off in the direction Vad indicated, while the other guards and the apparent owner of the house deal with the dogs. Scarlip continues forward in the direction Felor and Leth went.
Sep 10, 2015 8:40 pm
Vad will follow Scarlip from a respectable distance.
Sep 10, 2015 11:57 pm
Gonna advance a little bit. Leth and Felor reach the more middle-class residential area, with Scarlip lagging somewhat behind but still on your trail. Vad is caught in an awkward spot behind Scarlip but ahead of the guards who have managed to escape the dogs and are now trying to catch up. Would anyone like to do anything besides keep going along the present course?
Sep 11, 2015 6:57 am
As far as Leth could tell, they were doing a good job at keeping ahead of their pursuers - though he had lost track of Vad and could only hope he was still following behind - but they were doing just that; staying ahead. They needed to lose them entirely. Leth, continuing to follow just behind Felor towards the docks, racks his brain trying to come up with a way they could possibly shake the guards off their trail entirely - perhaps a zig-zag path or tunnel or side alley that would force the guards to try and guess which direction they went. Perhaps a less linear path would give their pursuers a much harder time of, well, pursuing them.

edit: ...gah.
Last edited September 11, 2015 6:58 am

Rolls

I'm gonna guess insight? - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Sep 11, 2015 9:20 am
They hadn't been caught yet, but if they kept going towards the docks Felor feared they'd be trapped. He wasn't the nautical type, but chartering and boarding a boat didn't seem like something one did in a hurry. Circling round to the mercantile district in the southern part of the city and trying to leave via a town gate seemed like a better idea, but first they had to lose their pursuers. Felor scans the surroundings, looking for an idea.

Rolls

Insight skill check - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Sep 11, 2015 3:44 pm
Continuing to the end of this residential area will put you at a cliff about 8' high, below which the ground slopes down toward the expanse of the harbor district. The few hundred yards or so between the cliff and the harbor area don't have much in the way of buildings or hiding places, but there are drainage tunnels that lead to the sewers. There would also be many opportunities to lose or throw off your pursuers in the dense and busy streets around the harbor.
Sep 14, 2015 12:30 pm
Recalling that he's heard tell of sewer access tunnels between the residential district and the harbour, Felor decides these are as good a way to try and lose the pursuers as any. The sewers would hopefully allow them to double back towards the south edge of the city.

Felor will continue out of the residential area, and then drop down the cliff and look for an access tunnel.
load next

Thread locked