Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Sep 16, 2015 11:13 pm
Yes, there's a vaulted ceiling of old stonework. Head clearance is about 6' at the ledge.
Sep 17, 2015 11:09 am
Felor stares grimly at the surface of the water. "Hrm. Pretty deep, but doesn't seem like there's a current. I've crossed plenty of rivers in my time, some deeper than this, many faster flowing, but none as... fragrant." With that, Felor hands his spear and the torch to Leth, and lowers himself into the stinking water.

Felor will swim across and haul himself onto the ledge. When he's on the ledge Leth can throw the spear and torch over.
Sep 17, 2015 5:54 pm
Give me an Athletics check for that torch throw.
Sep 19, 2015 4:44 am
First, how big are the packs? Like, could Leth hold his pack above his head with one hand and the torch with the other? If so, he'd toss the spear over, then hand his pack and torch off to Vad and lower himself into the water, then take his stuff back and wade across, holding it all above his head. Once across, he'd hand it to Felor while he pulls himself up.

If not, he'd hand an unlit torch to Vad just in case, then toss the spear first followed by the torch. If the torch doesn't make it, Vad has a second one on-hand to light so they don't have to fumble around pulling out another torch in the dark.
Last edited September 19, 2015 4:54 am

Rolls

Spear throw (athletics) - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Possible torch throw (athletics) - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Sep 19, 2015 6:30 pm
With that natural 20 I believe you have actually thrown the torch into an empty torch holder on the far wall.
Sep 19, 2015 6:58 pm
If the torch goes in the drink (presumably unlikely with that roll!) Felor has one he can light up instead.
Sep 21, 2015 3:51 pm
Leth and the gear safely cross the water.
Sep 21, 2015 9:33 pm
Vad looks down and racks his brains trying to come up with some way to get across that doesn't involve actually getting in the water. Drawing a blank he sighs as he resigns himself to the chore ahead. He draws one of his daggers and touches it with his hand until it illuminates with a bright white light. He looks across at the others holding their torches and with a slight smile whispers, "Sorcerer. Remember?"

Dagger in one hand and as his pack in the other he works his way across to the others.
Sep 22, 2015 4:55 am
"Okay... so which way now?" Leth asks. He looks back the way they came and tries to see if their pursuers are still following them into the sewers.
Sep 22, 2015 8:52 am
"We should head south, which is... this way," says Felor pointing down the left-hand tunnel. "I'll take the lead"
Felor sets off along the tunnel, holding the torch ahead of him. He tries to imagine he's in a mountain cave rather than a stinking sewer, with little success.
Sep 22, 2015 5:08 pm
About 100' to the south you reach a tunnel that branches off to the west, about 9' wide with 3' of ledge on the right-hand side.

Perception checks from everyone please!
Sep 22, 2015 5:42 pm
Tramping along the sewer, Felor fancies that the smoke from the torch is starting to cover the fetid smell slightly. As they reach the junction he pauses briefly.

Rolls

Perception skill check - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Sep 22, 2015 5:44 pm
You hear faint, echoey splashes far behind you.
Sep 22, 2015 5:48 pm
A noise - the guards? Would they follow us down here? Or...
Felor turns to the others and whispers, "I heard something behind us. It might just be rats, or the town guards... or whatever it was of which the acolytes talked."
Last edited September 22, 2015 5:49 pm
Sep 22, 2015 5:53 pm
"These guys just don't give up, do they?" Leth says, shaking his head. "Look," he continues quietly, afraid the echo of the tunnels might allow their pursuers to hear them, "we need to get them off our tail. Vad, if you can, I think it would be ideal to create a light source far down whichever direction we don't take, to make it look as though that's the direction we went. Even better if you have a way to conceal our own light from others as we keep going down the tunnels... Is any of that possible?"
Last edited September 22, 2015 5:54 pm
Sep 22, 2015 6:01 pm
Felor nods. "I can make the illusion of a sound down the other tunnel, and dim our torches. That may be enough to throw them off."
Sep 22, 2015 6:03 pm
"That sounds good to me. If we can get light to go with your sound, that would be ideal. The question now, though... Which way leads back towards the gate?"

Can I check to make an educated guess as to which direction would lead them out of the city?
Sep 22, 2015 6:08 pm
There's another drainage tunnel about 50' ahead. The west passage would lead towards the center of the city.
Sep 22, 2015 8:17 pm
"Straight on should lead us to the south edge of the city. Earlier I saw a... sign? An omen, maybe... that we should head south."

Can Vad cast light on an arrow of Leth's and have Leth fire it down the west tunnel maybe? I can make a splashing noise down the tunnel and dim our torch for 1 minute, so we won't have long to make our escape.
Sep 22, 2015 9:25 pm
"I can light up whatever we need. Do you want a shining rock to throw or something along those lines?"
Last edited September 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Rolls

Perception Check [if still needed] - (1d20)

(11) = 11

load next

Thread locked