Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Apr 4, 2015 3:59 am
Leth, not being much of a "people person", decided to leave the talking to the others and merely stood close nearby, listening carefully but not putting away his bow. He looked around carefully at the dead bodies and the man they have tied up, as well as the immediate surroundings to see if he could find any other external clues to the nature of the attack or the attackers... anything that would give him some kind of insight into the perplexing situation. He also took this opportunity to see if any of his arrows were salvageable.

OoC: Found a couple conflicting rules for gathering ammunition... In one place it says you can get back half of what you use in battle. In another place it says you roll a dice for it. When do I follow which rule?
Last edited April 4, 2015 4:04 am

Rolls

Perception Check (Or investigation? Same modifier) if applicable - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Apr 4, 2015 5:37 am
You can recover all missiles except when otherwise noted.
Apr 4, 2015 9:40 am
While the others question the captive, Felor pokes through the dead attackers' belongings and attempts to ascertain whether they're paid assassins or mercenaries, or merely passing bandits who picked the wrong victims.

Rolls

Investigation check - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Apr 4, 2015 8:05 pm
Your prisoner takes a moment to consider his words, then says: "We're hired men. We dealt with an intermediary. He told us to wait here to see if anyone came to bury the body or look around the village. Our orders were to kill as many as necessary until there were few enough left that we could take you captive. They insisted on at least two left alive. I don't know who we're working for. I don't know anything else. Our camp is half a mile from here. I can take you there but you'll find nothing of interest."
Apr 5, 2015 12:35 am
Frekki side eyes the living prisoner with a disdainful smirk, thinking 'What's the point of keeping a useless runt alive?'
She pays more attention to her weapon, not so much looking for anything than just pretending to be interested in a scratch or two on the surface of the blade.

"Why don't you ask him about that mark you found, Vad? Could be he and his friends."
Apr 5, 2015 3:43 am
Vad approaches the prisoner and sits down cross legged besides him. He draws his dagger and starts flipping and twirling it in his hand, not so much as a threat, but more of a distraction. Leaning close to the bound man he asks, "You and your dead friends here wouldn't happen to know anything about the symbols we've found carved into the debris?"

The pace of the dagger twirling between his fingers increases as he leans back and awaits a reply.

Vad is using his Prestidigitation Cantrip in order to make the dagger appear to flip and twirl faster than he could ever do it manually.
Apr 5, 2015 4:32 pm
So did my perception/investigation check accomplish anything?
Apr 6, 2015 4:20 am
Carillon will continue chanting nursery rymes in infernal and drawing abyssal words on the ground around the prisoner in an attempt to frighten him. He's still upset about his friends execution and wants to take it out on someone.
Apr 6, 2015 4:25 pm
thedandyman says:
So did my perception/investigation check accomplish anything?
You're not seeing anything to contradict what the prisoner himself has told you. They're wearing practical clothes for an ambush in rainy weather, they don't appear to be foreigners or bear any distinctive marks, they have no unusual personal effects.
Apr 6, 2015 4:26 pm
The prisoner eyes the twirling dagger. "What symbols?"
Apr 6, 2015 8:54 pm
Vad's dagger stops in his hand as he abruptly stands up. He turns to Carillon and gives him a slight wink, "He's of no use to us, do with him as you will."
Apr 6, 2015 10:41 pm
Leth, of course, knew that his companions were simply trying to intimidate the bound prisoner and had no intentions of killing him just yet. But his investigations had given him no special information and it seemed he had no choice but to join the others in questioning; particularly a few questions that were buzzing around in his head since their captive's first response.

"Just a moment." He said to Vad and Carillon. "Let's not be too hasty; he may still be of use." He turned to the prisoner.
"Surely you understand our position. We can't be too inclined to trust you. Do you have any kind of proof that you're telling us the truth? A contract, perhaps? You said you were hired men; are you part of any sort of mercenary guild or company? Do you know the name of your "intermediary"? Where and when were you going to meet with him if you had been successful here? Where could we find him? Anything you could tell us would go a long way towards proving your truthfulness. Even your own name or the names of your companions over there could be considered a gesture of your honesty. But if you refuse to cooperate..." He shrugged, and gestured back to Carillon. "I can't stop my friends here from giving in to their... emotions. We've lost a good friend today and our tempers are running high. Don't test your luck."
Last edited April 6, 2015 10:45 pm
Apr 6, 2015 10:54 pm
The prisoner looks up at Leth. "If I sell out all my contacts I'm just buying a temporary respite from death. They'll kill me as sure as you will and they'll probably see that it hurts more. You want the names of those two over there? Fine. That one shot through the neck? Ebner Croll. New to this line of work. I guess it didn't suit him. The one with the bolt in his belly is Nack Hethercorn. I didn't know him well either, but he had a reputation as a trustworthy sort, the kind who'd watch your back and leave your purse alone.

"Men who do the sort of work we do don't sign contracts. The word of our middleman is all the surety we need. I won't give you his name. Once we had you captured we were to take you to an abandoned building near here. You can probably guess the one if you know the area. Now kill me if you will; my soul already dwells in Nethuns' deep and I fear not death."

His voice wavers a little at the end, but he seems to be trying to put some real conviction in it.
Apr 6, 2015 11:30 pm
Felor stands ten meters or so away from the others as they question the prisoner, leaning on his spear and gazing into the distance. Interrogations weren't his forte - he'd fought plenty of bandits in his time but they were usually the sort to plead for mercy when outmatched. Determined resistance was a new one on him.

Listening in on the conversation, he begins get an uncomfortable feeling that things won't end well for the captive. His - well, they were hardly friends yet, let's say acquaintances - didn't seem the type to take this poor fellow back to the justicars for the correct legal proceedings. That said, he suspected that the justicars wouldn't offer up a resolution any more fair than the one he'd get here.
Apr 7, 2015 12:34 am
OoC: I'm trying really hard to come up with ways to move this forward without leaving it dependent on one person's response... It's kinda difficult haha

At this point, Leth was running out of ideas. He wasn't particularly fond of killing people; defending himself was one thing, but to outright murder this helpless fellow because he wouldn't give them the information they needed seemed extreme. On the other hand, they could hardly afford to let him go because he could easily report back to his employer and any chance they would have had at solving this mystery would be gone. There was the matter of some carved symbols that Leth didn't know about, but their prisoner genuinely seemed just as clueless about them as Leth was. At this point the only line of information that seemed useful was the meetup with their intermediary. As far as that went, Leth was beginning to develop an plan as to how they could exploit this information.

"Well then. I guess there really isn't much we can do for you. Seems at this point, you're doomed to either die by our hand, or by your employer's. That's some bad life decisions, really.... however, there may be a third option, should you choose to cooperate." He glanced over at the others in the group to catch their attention and make sure they were listening. The thought crossed his mind that it probably would have been smarter to discuss this amongst themselves first, but they were quite possibly running out of time. He didn't know when the intermediary would be coming, and he also knew some of them were still intent on resurrecting Kells. Either way, they needed to resolve this quickly, something they could not do by subjecting the poor man to torture and more death threats.

"Lets say we let you capture two of us. You take us in, get your pay, and get away free, so long as you don't let on that we're in on it. You get what you want - your life, and your gold - and we get what we want - an audience with your employer. You just have to show us where the meeting place is, and tell us when to expect company. Play along, and we'll take care of the rest." He said all of this to the bound man, but also in part to the others - he wanted to see what they thought of this idea as well.
Last edited April 7, 2015 12:38 am
Apr 7, 2015 9:26 am
Felor is silent for a few seconds, then turns and nods at Leth.
"Aye. Aye, that could work."
Apr 7, 2015 5:14 pm
The prisoner remains stone-faced while his eyes flick to each of you in turn. He seems to be holding his tongue while he waits to see if this is a serious suggestion, and if it's going to gain any traction with the rest of his captors.
Apr 7, 2015 5:20 pm
Looking back and forth between her compatriots as they discuss, Tzipporah notices the hesitance in their eyes. They want to kill this man. But can't bring themselves to do it. Quietly she pulls a dagger from its sheath.
"There is no quarter for useless foes. Pity you didn't have more to contribute."
With a quick motion she slashes the man's throat stands to sheath her dagger.
" Shall we find this ruined building and take the battle to them?"
Apr 7, 2015 5:48 pm
All players gain 10 XP each for the fight with the ambushers.

You can make History or Insight skill checks to try and figure out what building the prisoner was talking about.
Apr 7, 2015 5:51 pm
Should we be keeping track of our own Xp or are you?

Rolls

History Check - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

load next

Thread locked