Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Apr 7, 2015 5:57 pm
Felor is momentarily stunned by the sudden violence - for a moment he'd hoped that the situation could be resolved in a more peaceful manner. But such is the way of the world. He closes his eyes, breathes a deep sigh, and says a brief prayer for the man's soul as he chokes to death on his own arterial blood.

"We best get moving then, if we want to find this place before nightfall."
Last edited April 7, 2015 6:00 pm

Rolls

History check - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Apr 7, 2015 6:10 pm
"Wait-" Leth called out to try and stop Tzipporah, but it was too late. The deed was done. He let out an immense sigh and turned to her.
"Now what did you do that for? I had a solid plan. He might have been able to get us to the man who hired him. Now we just have to hope our guesswork is good... and who knows how long it will be before his 'intermediary' shows up if he's not there right now. We could be waiting here all day, wasting precious time we could be spending getting to Banwood!" He was pretty upset with her, though he was only allowing a portion of his anger to show through his words. Glaring, he continued,
"Don't be so hasty to throw away life, or to throw away help... especially when we already have so little information to go on."

Today had been a rough day. And it would be easy to let his emotions get the better of him. He tried to reign himself in a bit, and gather his thoughts.

Okay. So that's one option down. Hopefully we'll find more info if we can find this building... Where could that be? He racked his brain trying to remember anything useful that would help him identify the location of the abandoned building.

Rolls

Insight Check - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Apr 7, 2015 6:17 pm
Cockroach says:
Should we be keeping track of our own Xp or are you?
You should track your own XP.
Apr 7, 2015 6:17 pm
"No offense, Leth. But where I come from you don't let someone who has attempted to kill you walk away. Especially with gold in his pocket. He was not an innocent tradesman caught up in a scheme. He was an assassin, and would have done the same to us."
Apr 7, 2015 6:23 pm
thedandyman says:
He racked his brain trying to remember anything useful that would help him identify the location of the abandoned building.
You know that about a mile and a half northeast of here, the walls of an ancient stone longhouse built by peoples lost to time still stand. Largely grown over and not visible from any well-used paths, it's the first place that comes to mind.
Apr 7, 2015 6:36 pm
"We should probably get moving before anybody figures out what happened. Though I can't say I know what they wanted to happen, three against six." Frekki said, shaking her head and wiping her still dripping hair. The thug had still had questions to answer, but whether he'd have anything useful to say was a pointless question now.
Apr 7, 2015 7:42 pm
Leth snaps his fingers as he recalls the old longhouse.
"I think I might know what building he was talking about. There's an old abandoned longhouse northeast of here, off the path. It's about the only place I could think of that matches his description; anything closer than that would probably have been searched by the justiciars. It's remote and overgrown enough to not attract any attention; maybe about a mile and a half away.

If we're going there, we'd better be careful - there may be people there already. If not... we'll have to decide whether we want to wait there or continue on to Banwood."
Last edited April 7, 2015 7:43 pm
Apr 7, 2015 9:41 pm
Vad, unmoved by Tzipporah's course of action, approaches and with a slight smile whispers, "Could always count on you to do what needed to be done."

Still upset at not being able to find any clues as to Zora's location, Vad lets out a heavy sigh and turns towards Leth, "About a mile and a half, ya say? Close enough to warrant some investigation I would think."
Apr 8, 2015 5:26 pm
Just a reminder, Edvers' grave is only about half filled-in, and the bodies of the three ambushers are out in the open.
Apr 8, 2015 6:47 pm
"I think we should finish giving Kells a proper burial before we head off at least. This lot," Felor nods towards the dead ambushers, "don't really deserve so much. I certainly ain't going to break my back digging three more holes."

Maybe hide the 3 bodies in bush or something? The village is abandoned so unlikely anyone's going to stumble on the bodies.
Last edited April 8, 2015 6:47 pm
Apr 9, 2015 4:14 am
Carillion grabs a shovel and begins furiously digging like, well, a dwarf.

"I'm more of an academic, but my mother would sooner be dead than craft a dwarfling in her womb that can't handle a spade and pickaxe. Mining is in our blood!"

He starts on finishing the grave of their friend, then quickly scrapes out more shallow holes for the ambushers in some sod behind the bushes.

When their buried he casts mending on the turf in an effort to keep the bodies out of sight
Apr 9, 2015 5:36 am
"I definitely think we should try to hide these three bodies; we don't want whoever we're rendezvousing with to see the bodies. They'd immediately know the jig is up."

When Carillion started digging, Leth took up the second shovel and began helping. Leth was painfully aware of the time they were spending - and indeed, had already spent - here, and didn't want to waste any more time than necessary.
Apr 9, 2015 4:11 pm
Working as quickly as possible, Edvers' grave is filled in and shallow pits are dug for the ambushers. It's mid-afternoon. The rain has eased up but still falls. Leth knows the way to the old longhouse.
Apr 10, 2015 4:05 pm
You can proceed to the abandoned longhouse if you're ready. It might also be possible to try and figure out where Zora is hiding out.
Apr 12, 2015 6:35 pm
I'm happy to press on to the longhouse unless anyone else wants to do more investigating?
Apr 13, 2015 6:03 am
OoC: Sorry, all! I had an out-of-state trip over the weekend and forgot to let you all know before hand. That's my bad.
szemely says:
"Which way, Leth?"
Leth took a glance at their surroundings. "I believe it's this way, if my memory serves me correctly." He said, and set out towards the longhouse, trying to be as quiet and observant as he could be.

He's trying to keep an eye our for anyone else that might be working for their mysterious enemies; guards keeping an eye on the longhouse, that sort of thing, while at the same time doing his best to be quiet about it as well, though I don't know how effective he'd be if the rest of the party isn't doing that either hahaha do I need to roll anything for any of that?
Apr 13, 2015 8:09 am
Felor follows Leth, and as they approach the longhouse he uses his skills honed over years living in the wilderness to look for anything unusual in the surroundings that may indicate an unwelcome surprise - strange tracks, flocks of birds suddenly disturbed, a curious scent on the breeze, and the like.

Rolls

Nature skill check - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Apr 13, 2015 8:18 am
I think my dice are broken.
If Leth has decent Stealth skill maybe he can tell us the route to the longhouse then separate off and sneakily approach from another direction to ambush any ambushers? I'm probably going to fail any stealth check, clanking around in my armour.
Apr 13, 2015 4:07 pm
You can approach the longhouse as stealthily or strategically as you want, it makes little difference: there's nobody there.

Shrouded in vines and moss and veiled by tall drooping ferns, one could easily walk within yards of this old ruin and never see it. Leth takes a cautious look inside. The roof has long since rotted away, but the branches of nearby trees, draped thick with ivy, provide a natural cover.

It appears to be empty, but it clearly has not been forgotten. The earthen floor between the stone walls is pitted and scarred with trenches, all recently dug. Somebody has been here looking for something.
load next

Thread locked