Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Mar 26, 2015 2:04 am
Felor trudges along behind the cart, glad to be back in the countryside. Walking next to Vad, he leans in and says
"Best keep those parlour tricks under wraps around the common folk. They don't hold much truck with magic 'round these parts."
Mar 26, 2015 2:16 am
Vad nods in agreement, "Yes, bad move on my part."

"I'll have to find a more inconspicuous way of releasing some of this energy from time to time..."
Mar 26, 2015 5:30 am
OoC: I assume we all at least had a chance to exchange names prior to the execution, seeing as we're all participants in this planned ceremony...?

Leth glances back at the "mourners" in disdain before turning his gaze back to the road ahead. Their fake cries grated on his nerves like sandpaper, and it was all he could do to keep himself from snapping around and letting them know exactly how he felt about their attempt to make some money off of the tragedy at hand. Instead, he tuned them out by turning his thoughts to the quandary before them. It just didn't make sense. He had heard the magician - Vad, if he recalled his name correctly - mention a "Zora", but Leth didn't know who that was or what connection they might have to this mystery.

No, the thing that most puzzled him was the witnesses. Edvers had been an exceptionally likeable fellow; the executioner's comments about Ed had not gone unnoticed by Leth. If even those who subjected him to torture and ultimately death had taken a liking to him, it was hard for Leth to imagine that "Uncle Ed" could have had many enemies, especially enemies of the type that would frame him for a crime punishable by death. Perhaps the late Mayor had, in fact, been "skulking about"... but to what end? Why would he have taken the sphere? Where could it have gone? If he was doing anything suspicious, but hadn't taken the sphere... what was he doing? And who DID have the sphere?

The entire affair troubled Leth, and he said just loud enough that his five companions could hear, "If we get a chance, I would like to return here and find out a little more from the witnesses who implicated Edvers, and perhaps examine the shrine where the Sphere was taken from. There's just too many things that are out of place here... And I'd like to get to the bottom of it. For Edvers' sake as well as the village folk displaced by the Justiciars'... 'searching.'"
Last edited March 31, 2015 5:23 am
Mar 26, 2015 8:49 am
The arcane dwarf reaches into his belt pouch and pulls out a handful of copper coins and softly tosses them toward the "mourners" with a wave and toothy smile. (Random coins equaling about 1 silver)

"Thank you friends! It's gratifying to see the warmth of human kindness on such an audible display"

When he turns and walks swiftly to catch up with his companions the look of contempt on his face is unmistakable, and he mutters under his beard; "Warmth.... I wish I could show them some warmth. Filthy bottom-crawlers. Maybe some warmth from the pyres of the abyss."

As he passes her to get alongside Leth, Carillion pats Tzipporah on the shoulder and nods up at her as if to say "nice job" regarding her aquisition of the finger.

When he gets close to Leth he whispers; "If we can make it to Banwood in less than ten days, and scrape together enough gold, we can ask our friend himself, if he is willing.
Mar 26, 2015 10:52 am
"Friends, we should get to the bottom of this iron sphere mystery first and clear Kells' name, lest he be re-arrested immediately upon resurrection. I fear the justicars would not accept that one execution is sufficient."
Mar 26, 2015 1:28 pm
"That is an excellent point, however, there is a time limit involved. And should we prove successful, we'd be far away with him in
Banwood."

"Of course this course of action will be very expensive and there's a good chance it might not work at all. It would certainly require a group effort so if the consensus is that this is not agreeable we can certainly investigate this iron sphere,"

He rubs the back of his head.

"I just believe bringing him back, and in another region some distance away from here is preferable to merely avenging him. Besides, there's a chance he may rencarnate as an elf, dwarf or even something more exotic. He'd have his memories, spirit, be the same person entirely, just possibly be in a different form."

The dwarf holds up his hands and shrugs.

"But it's a long way and a lot of gold for something that might not even work."
Mar 26, 2015 1:48 pm
"If he must remain far from his family and friends for the rest of his life, is it worth the cost? Is life without your kin really life at all?"
Felor trudges on a few steps before continuing.
"Of course I would dearly love to have our friend back, but... " he trails off with a shrug. "If Kells was involved in something that he was willing to risk his life for, surely we owe it to him to follow up on it? I sense there are bigger things at work here than a simple missing lump of iron."
Mar 26, 2015 4:23 pm
Leth knew a little bit about magic; growing up in the wilderness tended to make one more conscious of survival than of social taboos. In fact he had sometimes tried his own hand at a few spells before, though he didn't consider himself anywhere near proficient enough to reliably cast anything. But what was being talked about here was certainly far beyond his ken, and Leth wasn't even sure he believed it. But if it could be done... It would certainly be the best option available to them. They would have thier friend returned to them, and Kells was far more likely to be able to supply them with the information they sought.

"If this is the option we are taking, I will do my part to help see it done."
Last edited March 26, 2015 4:24 pm
Mar 26, 2015 4:38 pm
thedandyman says:
OoC: I assume we all at least had a chance to exchange names prior to the execution, seeing as we're all participants in this planned ceremony...?
Yes, you all met briefly prior to the execution. Some of you may have worked together on making the burial arrangements, etc.

You stop at the burial site you'd decided upon: a large willow tree within sight of the village, but not so close as to have any likelihood of getting torn up if search efforts were renewed. The gravediggers get to work with their picks and shovels, digging a resting place for Edvers in the wet earth.

Some of the smaller structures survived the search of the village, but the larger ones, including Edvers' house and the longhall he built with his nephews, have been completely dismantled. Mounds of dark brown earth stand where searchers dug crisscrossing trenches. Edvers had named the village Greenbower, and while it seems likely that in time people will inhabit this patch of land again, the name will likely not survive. The Kells family, and the others who lived here, have completely abandoned the place.

Players who wish to look around may make an Investigation, Nature, or Perception check.

Players who wish to contemplate the mystery of the Iron Sphere and Edvers' involvement in its disappearance may make an Arcana, History, or Insight check.

Players who wish to help inter the body may make a Religion check.
Mar 26, 2015 4:55 pm
Felor assists the grave diggers with preparation of the body, blessing it and wrapping the body in a traditional North Bloadian burial shroud. He stands over the body as it is lowered into the grave, and says a prayer.
"Great and wise Fjorgyn,
We commit this body to you.
A wise and loved friend,
Gone from us now,
But received into your arms.
May his spirit live on,
As the wind at a mountain peak,
The sparkle of a spring's water,
And the call of a soaring eagle."

The prayer finished, he throws a handful of pebbles into the grave.
Last edited March 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Mar 26, 2015 5:31 pm
Edvers was not an especially religious man, but Felor does recall him making a particularly heartfelt, teary, drunken prayer to Semla one night when Zora was sick with a fever she was not expected to survive. He remembers an invocation to Semla he'd heard before (or a pretty good paraphrase of it, anyway), and recites it over the grave after offering his own prayer to Fjorgyn.

+10 XP to Felor
Mar 26, 2015 6:16 pm
Wandering away from the funeral proper, Tzipporah slipped the finger of Kells into her silver snuff box. Prayers were for the dead and the gods, she had no interest in them. She gazed off into the murky sky and pondered Kells involvement in this madness. Did he take the Sphere? If so why and where is it now. If not, then who framed their friend? She needed answers but where to start.

Rolls

Arcana Skill Check - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm
Tzipporah turns some facts over in her head. If it was really true that the Iron Sphere originally fell from the sky, that alone could explain why it was worth stealing. Celestial iron was known to hold enchantments better than mined ore (something about its natural attunement to the Astral Plane -- you'd seen a diagram explaining it, once), and was said by some wizards even to amplify them. To the right people, the Iron Sphere would certainly be a valuable acquisition, but you can't imagine Edvers stealing the thing for financial gain. He'd often said he had all the riches he ever needed, usually indicating his family or this village when he did so, but he had material wealth too. It wouldn't surprise you if the searchers had turned up a coffer or two of gold in the walls and soil of Greenbower.

+10 XP to Tzipporah
Mar 26, 2015 8:14 pm
Carillion will move from party member to party member, putting an arm around them, or patting them on the back, but he's actually scanning the crowd of onlookers and gawkers for suspicious behavior, strange expressions or mysterious conversations going on amongst them.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Mar 26, 2015 8:21 pm
As the grave diggers set about thier work, Leth cast his gaze around the ruined village nearby. Without actually straying too far from the general area where the burial was, he began to look at what was left. It was obvious that the justiciars had been very thorough, but Leth held on to the small hope that maybe there was something they had missed. He studied the landscape carefully, hoping something would jump out at him as something that would require a closer investigation once the ceremony was finished.
Last edited March 27, 2015 12:38 am

Rolls

Investigation check - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Mar 26, 2015 9:36 pm
Vad slowly walks towards what little remains of Edvers' home. "Where might you have gone, Zora? You have to know something about this." Kneeling on the ground Vad sifts through debris. "There's got to be something here..."

Rolls

Investigation [+1] - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Mar 27, 2015 12:18 am
CowboyCentaur says:
Carillion will move from party member to party member, putting an arm around them, or patting them on the back, but he's actually scanning the crowd of onlookers and gawkers for suspicious behavior, strange expressions or mysterious conversations going on amongst them.
This would have had to have taken place back in town immediately following the execution, as there's nobody but you six and the two gravediggers here outside the village. In any case, you don't see anything. You can make another skill check of your choice at the current location.
Mar 27, 2015 12:40 am
Pacing through the remains of Edvers' house, Vad notices something odd. Carved into one heavy wooden beam is a small symbol that resembles a crown with six points. He runs his finger over the symbol. The edges are still a little rough; somebody carved this recently.

Leth, meanwhile, scans the surrounding area. The rain has eased up a bit, but the wind is strong here. That's why it's easy, at first, to dismiss it as leaves moving in the breeze when he sees motion behind a thicket of blackberry bushes on the opposite end of the village. But something about it feels off to him, and his gaze lingers there.

+10 XP to Vad
+10 XP to Leth
Mar 27, 2015 4:50 am
Satisfied that his investigation revealed that indeed, only the gravediggers and his associates are around, Tintinnabulum thinks back on any similar artifacts to the iron sphere amongst his own culture, or possibly something Fell might have mentioned while discussing metalworking.

"He seemed interested in my bells, and even a little surprised that I made them myself. As if a dwarf can't forge a simple bell soon after he's weaned. Of course he could have been feigning interest to be polite I suppose."

edit: I sure hope I roll something other than a 1 at some point here, lol.
Last edited March 27, 2015 4:51 am

Rolls

History - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Mar 27, 2015 6:52 am
It's fine we're just getting these 1s out the way now so the combat is all 20s...
load next

Thread locked