Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Mar 27, 2015 8:55 am
Frekki stands near the burial, watching the grave diggers. Edvar had been a good friend to her, and she'd make certain that all the proper care was observed for him, whether He'd been disgraced or not. She watched as Vad wandered off, but said nothing. 'How could his family just abandon the man? After all He's done for them?' Frekki thought to herself.

"Do you think his daughter would know any more than we do? Maybe someone was after him?" She asked, turning to look at Leth.

This whole business with the sphere freaked her out. Mortals were not supposed to meddle with these kinds of things, but here she was.

((Sorry for taking so long, and for the short reply. I can't think of a check to make so I'll just hang on for now :/))
Mar 27, 2015 9:26 am
"I think his daughter is as good a place to start as any. I can't blame his family for leaving though - with Kells gone, and this" - he gestures to the all-but-destroyed homestead - "there's not much to stay for. If we can track down Zora perhaps we can find out if she has any ideas as to what Kells was up to."

Seeing Vad returning from inspecting the remains of Kells' house, Felor calls out "Find any clues as to where his family went?"
Mar 27, 2015 5:25 pm
"Possibly, but I'm not sure as to the meaning," Vad responds as he approaches Felor. "It appears that after the dwelling was destroyed someone took the time to carve a symbol into the debris. A small six pointed crown." Vad pauses for a moment and then thinks aloud, "Could be someone taking credit for the destruction or perhaps a clue as to the family's whereabouts.

"Any ideas, my friend?"
Last edited March 27, 2015 5:26 pm
Mar 27, 2015 6:28 pm
"A six pointed crown, you say..." Felor furrows his brow.

History check to see if the symbol has any meaning to me.
Last edited March 27, 2015 7:18 pm

Rolls

History skill check - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Mar 27, 2015 6:33 pm
Nothing comes to mind for Carillion or Felor.

I'd like to give Leth a chance to weigh in on what he noticed in the blackberry bushes before proceeding. None of the rest of you saw or heard anything.
Mar 27, 2015 6:40 pm
"...no, no, that doesn't ring any bells I'm afraid."
Mar 27, 2015 7:59 pm
BirdWizard says:
"Do you think his daughter would know any more than we do? Maybe someone was after him?" She asked, turning to look at Leth.
"I'm not sure..." He said absentmindedly without looking at her, his brow furrowed as he stared into the bushes. He blinked, seemed to shake himself, and turned to Frekki. "But... There's something in those bushes over there." He said quietly, tilting his head in the direction of the bushes. "Could be nothing. Could be something. And if it IS something... I'd rather not scare it - or them - away. We can investigate as soon as this ceremony is over, but for now I'd rather not let them know that we've noticed anything."

He looked over at the grave diggers, wondering how much longer this burial would last. Out of the corner of his eye he glanced back to the blackberry bushes, trying to watch for any other activity from that direction.

I'm not sure how to specify what I'm doing... Maybe readying an action? If it looks like whatever is over there is leaving, he'd go after it? Or if it looks like something else happens over there, he would be aware of it? Idk. He's just generally paying attention to that area, I guess
Last edited March 27, 2015 9:18 pm
Mar 27, 2015 8:08 pm
As soon as the words are out of Leth's mouth, the blackberry bushes shake and you all hear three sharp tearing sounds in rapid succession. Felor feels wind and spray as something whizzes past his face at a frightening speed.

Rolls

Tearing Sound #1 - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Tearing Sound #2 - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Tearing Sound #3 (disadvantage) - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Tearing Sound #3 (disadvantage) - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Mar 27, 2015 8:09 pm
nevermind, beaten to the punch by the DM!
Last edited March 27, 2015 8:10 pm
Mar 27, 2015 8:14 pm
"What in the blazes-!?"
Felor swings his shield round from off his back and readies his spear, looking around for the unseen attacker.
Last edited March 27, 2015 8:15 pm
Mar 27, 2015 8:15 pm
One gravedigger makes a "Hurk!" sound and tumbles backwards, arms windmilling, as a crossbow bolt lands in his ribcage. A second bolt slams into the willow tree, narrowly missing the other gravedigger.

With his alertness raised, Leth was ready to dodge, but picks the wrong direction and rolls right into the path of the third bolt, taking it in the upper arm.

Rolls

Bolt to gravedigger - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Bolt to Leth - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Mar 27, 2015 8:18 pm
The sounds of alarm pull Tzipporah from her thoughts about the Sphere. Whirling back to face her companions her eyes darted about.

Rolls

Perception Check - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Mar 27, 2015 8:18 pm
That's 6 damage to Leth. One gravedigger is dead, the other screams and starts running back in the direction of the city.

Tzipporah sees, well concealed in the thicket, two men in black oilskin coats. There must be a third in there somewhere.

Roll for initiative. It will take two combat rounds to close the distance between the grave site and the blackberry bushes, but you have the option of returning missile fire or taking cover behind the willow.

Rolls

Ambushers' Initiative - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Mar 27, 2015 8:24 pm
The ever brave Vad moves behind Felor and readies his crossbow. "Uh, I've got your back!" he says with an uneasy smile as he peeks around Felor trying to find a target.

Rolls

Initiative [+2] - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Mar 27, 2015 8:25 pm
Initiative is 1d20+ dex bonus right?
Last edited March 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Rolls

Felor initiative - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Mar 27, 2015 8:26 pm
"An ambush!"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Mar 27, 2015 9:53 pm
To make things easier, we're going to do group initiative -- your rolls will be averaged, and if it's higher than the enemy group you'll win initiative. That way players can take combat actions in any order instead of holding things up waiting for specific players to act.
Mar 28, 2015 12:18 am
Leth let out a curse as the bolt hit his arm, and drew his bow.
HP: 17

edit: what was that about getting the ones out of the way before combat...? :P
another edit: so did they lose their stealth when they attacked and we all see them, or just Tzipporah?
Last edited March 31, 2015 5:23 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Mar 28, 2015 4:09 am
Carillion hefts his bell hammer and prepares to fight!

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Mar 28, 2015 4:22 am
Frekki watches as the gravedigger falls over, surprised at the sudden attack. She readies her greatsword.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

load next

Thread locked