Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jan 12, 2017 10:17 pm
Quote:
Entering the private dining room, the party sees Gethro Moag and Zora seated at a long table.
Domarc mentally shrugs, having both won and lost his bet with himself.
Quote:
"But about one crucial matter, we remain ignorant. We do not know why they have gone to such great lengths to obtain the Iron Sphere of Sthombo. You have the copy of the manifest I gave you. For the safety of Hazard and Bload, I would ask you to make the journey to Vorch and learn what you can about the significance of the Sphere."
"That's one possible route for us. However, as I'm sure you know, Martjan believed she knew the location of the Sphere," Domarc says. "With her in the hands of the Pointy Hat Crew, I think we must assume that they also know. Knowledge of what the Sphere does may prove to be too little and too late. Though I must admit...I'm at a loss for what else to do."
Jan 12, 2017 10:24 pm
Vhezyen doesn't know much about Vorch beyond what has already been said:
Quote:
Mordred remembers hearing of Vorch: a small, untamed island somewhere off the south tip of Bload, named for the King of Malch who was exiled there some five hundred years ago. It was said that his descendants returned twenty years after his exile to bring him back, but that he fled from them, and hid in the wilderness, and had lost his ability to speak.

The Island of Vorch is about 90 miles south of Sood.
Vhezyen has read some accounts of expeditions to Vorch to search for rare plant and mineral reagents for spellcraft, but does not recall any significant details.

"We would send you to Utwar on a riverboat captained by a man known and trusted to us," Gethro explains. "He would see to making the necessary arrangements there for a ship to take you to Vorch. From Utwar...ten days, perhaps, to reach the isle?" To Domarc, he adds: "If the cultists already possess the Sphere, or soon will, then it is even more important that we learn what they expect to achieve with it."
Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm
Zangua just shrugs, but he does not seem pleased to be traveling southward so close to Sood.
OOC:
If asked for his vote, Zangua would want Zora to accompany them. Finding her safe was the main reason he signed on with this group, and she's done all right by him thus far.
Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm
Think about it, though. We are going to the untamed island of Vorch. Where a mad(?) king, no longer able to speak, chose not to be returned from exile. Rare plant and mineral reagents for spellcraft are found there. It sounds exotic, dark jungle like. In this case, the reality is that leaving her behind is keeping her safe. So, doing alright by her would be cutting her loose. The 6PC is done with her. If she still had value, they wouldn't have let her go.
Jan 12, 2017 11:02 pm
I don't think the 6PC is done with her; when they took Martjan they marked Zora with their symbol and said something to the effect that she was hostage to her mother's safety in some way. Also, there is some reason to believe that Zora has a role to play in what is coming.
Jan 12, 2017 11:31 pm
That morning...
"Ah! Fjorgyn's mighty fist! I knew I shouldn't have messed with this magical nonsense!"
Felor tries to think why the ring might have exploded like that. Was it already charged with magical energy, perhaps, thinks Felor as he checks his new armour for scorching and then looks in his pack for some herbs that can treat minor burns.
Insight check

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Jan 12, 2017 11:53 pm
Another reason not to bring Zora: if they've marked her with their symbol, it could be a way for them to track our movements, if she's with us, discerning our moves and plans. As far as what's to come, if she's needed, we can always pick her up wherever she goes. If she was integral to the Vorch trip, I think it would be more salient to all of us via Octo commentary. Whatever she got from Mordred's '2nd house' hint could be conveyed to us, and we could move on, leaving her safely behind.
Last edited January 12, 2017 11:57 pm
Jan 13, 2017 12:47 am
"Do we have to wait for the Hair-phant's announcement before we can leave with Zora?" Zangua asks.
Jan 13, 2017 3:03 am
Felor suspects that Fjorgyn's puissance overloaded the ring; copper was known to be a less than ideal storage medium for latent magical energy.

Gethro nods. "The House of Cron has invoked their right to detain her, and they're expecting her back. Should I take your question to mean that you are unwilling to investigate the matter of the Sphere on Vorch?"
Jan 13, 2017 5:03 am
Vhezyen took Gethro's last statement for what it meant, and addressed Zangua. "It would seem time is of the essence." Turning toward Gethro, he continued, stating the conclusion. "I take it your riverboat captain leaves today, and you would have us leave for Vorch without delay." He paused, considering. The Island of Vorch. Fascinating. He could only imagine what treasures and wonders could be found there. Perhaps even great peril. But risk was part of the reward, and he would see this island, one he could only imagine seeing, years ago, turning pages.

"I, for one, am ready to depart. Admittedly, even without consideration for political strife and the threat of dark forces, I find the idea of such an expedition to have merit on its own." Images of ruins, ancient civilizations long forgotten, flashed through his mind. "However, if I can help the greater good by making this journey, even better."

Looks like they want us on the next boat out.

History and Religion check on Utwar please, city made rich by its shipbuilding trade, hosting numerous cults of the gods and monsters of the vast ocean (all I know from the map).

Rolls

History - (1d20+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

Religion - (1d20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

Jan 13, 2017 5:48 am
"I'm willing to go, but not if you're just going to kick her out of the city while we're gone," says Zangua.
Jan 13, 2017 5:53 am
"The boatman could be persuaded to tarry a day or two, if that might sway your decision," Gethro says. "And may I add -- any information brought back that benefits the security of Hazard will be generously rewarded. The Hierophant will see to that personally."

Vhezyen knows that Utwar has long been allied with Hazard, and is still ruled by a dynastic monarchy -- the last he heard, the head of state was the young Princess-Regent Kelesis II. Utwarish ships are said to be the fastest and sturdiest in all the Werld, and while commonplace around Bload, command a dear price abroad.

The principal gods of Utwar are Nethuns, Dagon, and Atargatis, although they are known to venerate obscure gods of the deep whose names are unknown to outsiders.
Jan 13, 2017 9:14 am
BullOctorok says:
Felor suspects that Fjorgyn's puissance overloaded the ring; copper was known to be a less than ideal storage medium for latent magical energy.
Felor surmises that he was foolish to expect some mere trinket to contain the monumental power of Fjorgyn's divine will.
Felor will happily give up the second ring to another party member, having now dismissed their potential usefulness as "thaumatological nonsense for wizards and sorcerers".
Jan 13, 2017 12:54 pm
"What do you want to do, Zora? I'd rather have you with us, but I understand if the last thing you want right now is a grueling voyage to Vorch. Those trips to my grandfather's cottage were brutal." He pauses and then continues, almost as if thinking aloud to himself. "Hells, it vexes me that I can't remember where it was! Banwod, maybe? Or Gurmar, on the lake?" He shoots a meaningful glance at Zora.

He does want to know truthfully what her wishes are - he wants her to be safe, but she's a grown woman, and he's not about to drag her off by the wrist halfway across the Werld - but he also thinks that she may have knowledge and skills that will be essential. Besides, if the Six-Pronged Crown wanted anything to do with her, they would presumably have her alongside her mother right now.

He is also trying to give her a chance to tell him where the "second home by the sea" is.
Last edited January 13, 2017 2:30 pm
Jan 13, 2017 2:25 pm
"I believe Mordred has the right of it, Zangua. I appreciate your concerns, but Zora has a mind of her own, and should speak for herself." Vhezyen spoke directly to Zora now. "From the tales I've heard, you can take care of yourself, so I don't worry for your safety. I must say, however, that Vorch seems the greater danger for you, as the Six Pronged Crown has released you. Moreover, I must add that your presence could jeopardize the success of what is clearly a clandestine undertaking, and, as a result, the future of Bload itself, assuming Gethro's concerns are justified." A glance at Gethro. "And I'm inclined to think he wouldn't waste his efforts or time on frivolity."

Vhezyen elaborated. "From what I've read in my studies, you could provide a direct link for the Six Pronged Crown to divine our location, and perhaps discern our intentions by doing so, giving them the knowledge they need to thwart our efforts. Based on events, it would seem they have little interest in doing you harm. However, they would surely understand the value of keeping an eye on you, so to speak. In sum, this would indicate that your presence would be more of a threat to our success, than anything."

As a disciple of Thoth, Vhezyen puts a premium on information. As a divination wizard, he would know that Zora would provide an extremely useful link that maximizes the 6PC's potential to use Scrying to locate her, literally allowing them to watch and listen at their leisure. Their familiarity with her, the mark (which I don't think we know about?), any bit of clothing/hair or the like, the connection to her mother, etc, would all serve as ways to increase their ability to successfully watch her. Repeatedly.

My personal preferences as a gamer aside, objectively speaking, perhaps she really shouldn't go. She's about as good of a tracking device that the 6PC can get. If you were worried about being watched before...
Last edited January 13, 2017 2:51 pm
Jan 13, 2017 4:51 pm
It takes a while for Zangua to mull over and decipher everyone's words, but he finally snaps, "You think I don't know what she's capable of? She damned well showed more mettle in them tunnels than most veterans, and she did it alone! But if this lord of whatever's just gonna kick her out of the city while we're gone, why not bring her with us?

"I don't see how she jeper-dizes us any more than your long-winded ass. Maybe you already said so, but I stopped paying attention. The Six-Pointers found us even when she wasn't with us, so what difference does it make?"
Jan 13, 2017 5:04 pm
Zora puts a hand on Gethro's shoulder. "Mister Moag -- please don't take offense at this, because you are still my favorite person in the Werld right now, for getting me this furlough -- but could I have a moment to speak privately with my friends? Please."

Gethro picks up his tankard and stands. "Of course. Take your time." He leaves through the private dining hall's only exit.

Zora watches him leave, then whips her head toward Mordred. "Second home by the sea? That's what the string said? I know where the Sphere is now. Nine Hells! I didn't want to know." She throws back another swig of ale. "Martjan started working on that the moment we were shown to our room. I don't know if she had a premonition something was going to happen or if she was just being cautious, but as soon as we heard the fighting outside, she gave it to me and told me to hide it." Another drink. "Guys, I don't know what to do. I don't want to go to Vorch, I know that much. But...maybe Moag is right. People are dying and losing everything over this Sphere and we still don't have the slightest idea what's important about it. Maybe you should find out. On the other hand...part of me feels like I should be headed to Solyhill to help save my mother." She scratches the back of her neck. "I don't see how I'd be much help, though. I'm not a warrior. Still, though..." Sighing, she slumps back in her chair. "And now I know where the Sphere is. Or at least, where she thinks it is. So what should I do with that knowledge? Go protect it? Tell Moag? Or do I just stay as far away from it as I can so I don't lead the enemy to it?" She chuckles to herself. "Maybe I should just go to Ogrespate like I always said I would. Vad said he'd go with me if I get exiled, look out for me. We talked about it. He thinks a few of the places you stopped on the way to finding me might be safe to hide out in for a while. I don't know. I don't think I want to be Hazard's daughter who stops the water. I'm tired of worrying that I'm about to get killed." She stares at her tankard for a long moment, then downs what's left in it.

Alright, party, you have a choice to make here about the direction you want your adventure to go. Would you prefer to:

a) Sail to Vorch and seek out the true purpose of the Iron Sphere
b) Join the army at Solyhill and march on the hidden stronghold of the Six-Pronged Crown to rescue Martjan
c) Search for the "second home by the sea" and find the Sphere yourselves

or

d) Pursue some other option not sanctioned by your Dungeon Master

Time to hash it out and decide!
Jan 13, 2017 5:10 pm
OOC:
I think we need to find the sphere. Stopping the guys at the stronghold or finding what the sphere does don't help if the 6PC find the sphere first. And they've kidnapped someone who knows where it is.
Jan 13, 2017 5:17 pm
Zangua stands and reaches forward for some ale, bread, and cheese. "I thought this elf knew where it was," he says, halfway between stuffing his face. "Is this house where the ball is, or where the elf is that knows it?"
Jan 13, 2017 5:22 pm
Pafthinel knows what the Sphere does, he doesn't know where it currently is. The second home by the sea is presumably a reference to where Martjan thinks Edvers would have hidden the Sphere.
load next

Thread locked