Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Jan 13, 2017 5:28 pm
OOC:
Zangua sticks to what his brain said.
Jan 13, 2017 5:49 pm
"It is hard being a part of someone else's story," Domarc says. "Zora, the Pointy Hats have made you part of their story whether you care to be or no. It would seem we are all part of that story now, either because of a relationship to you or your kin or even simple curiosity and a willingness to stand in the way of whatever it is that our opponents seek."

"The choice, it seems to me, is to stop letting them be the ones in charge of the story, as they have been so far. We need to decide on what course of action might cause them the most damage, and go after it."

Domarc pauses and fills his glass.

"If Martjan were here, she would tell me to attend to the most important business that only we could do. When I think of it that way, it seems to me - as hard as it is - that joining the mission to rescue your mother is perhaps where we are least needed. That leaves either finding the Sphere or seeking Pafthinel. If we have the Sphere, we deny it to our opponents; but is it good to have it and not understand its purpose? Or should we seek to understand first, against the risk that our opponents will claim it before we do?"

He takes a long drink of ale.

"Martjan has made a sacrifice that we must honor. My gut tells me to seek the Sphere; my head tells me to seek knowledge first. And while following my gut is my usual instinct -" Domarc smiles ruefully and takes more ale "perhaps this is a time for a different path."

"If we decide to seek the elf, Zora, your knowledge must not be lost. It needs to be shared or recorded in some fashion that we could use when needed."
Jan 13, 2017 6:58 pm
Vhezyen shrugged off Zangua's outburst. Rather than stoop to his level, he replied with calm logic. "Perhaps I am 'long-winded', able to string more than one sentence into cohesion, but it's part of providing understanding in an attempt to avoid further 'long-windedness', like what you're hearing now." He smiled. "And nobody doubts Zora's mettle, as I previously mentioned, which is why I believe she would be fine without us." Mustering patience, he leaned in. "You must see how Zora would endanger our mission. You were a scout once, before all this? Then I'll succinctly explain in terms that should help you understand. When you were a scout, I imagine stealth and caution, coupled with tactical considerations and forward thinking, were your primary tools. Taking Zora with us, wherever we go, would be like a scout running around enemy territory singing a song at the top of his lungs called 'Find Me, Kill Me."

His gaze remained fixed on Zangua as he settled comfortably into his chair, taking a bite of the cheese. Delicious. "Does that help?" He seems... irrational. Perhaps Zangua has an interest in her of a more intimate kind? Perhaps he isn't well?

Vhezyen politely addressed Zora. "Please, don't take it personally. I believe you would be an asset, if not for reasons already mentioned. If you feel the need to avoid risk, I'm certain we will be fine without you. Beyond that, you must choose your own path."

I'm for understanding the sphere before finding it. I'd like to know what it does before we pick it up. Understanding what it does could also allow us to prevent it's use somehow, via other as of yet unknown means.

However, I can get on board with finding it too. Marching with the army seems less useful, given the options.
Jan 13, 2017 7:01 pm
Zangua squints, "Why in the Hells would Zora go about singing while we're sneaking about? You saying she's stupid?"
Jan 13, 2017 7:07 pm
It's telling that the most fully-developed plan Zora has under consideration is leaving with Vad and laying low in small villages. Aside from her vague feelings of obligation to help her mother, she doesn't seem to want to do any more adventuring at this point. And she flat out said she doesn't want to go to Vorch with you.
Jan 13, 2017 7:20 pm
Mordred puts a hand on Zangua's shoulder. "It's OK, Zang, he means well. I think we need to trust him for now - none of us know enough about magic to figure this out without some help.

"Zora, I have to say, I kind of agree with Vhezyen on this. I think you should go with Vad. If we need you again, we can come find you. Either in Ogrespate or one of the places we passed along the way here. Ask him about the "white queen" or where I gave a puppet show."

He looks carefully at Zora, and takes her hand, squeezing slightly on certain phrases of his next speech.

"WE don't NEED TO KNOW WHERE you are going or where THE SPHERE IS. Even if you could find some way to TELL ME WITHOUT SAYING IT ALOUD OR WRITING IT DOWN, I wouldn't want to know. MAYBE JUST A CLUE would be too much. My memories of you FROM OUR SHARED PAST are so important, and I don't want to see you endanger yourself. DO YOU UNDERSTAND why I want you to keep it a secret?"
Jan 13, 2017 7:58 pm
Zora maintains eye contact and chews her lip, as though she understands what Mordred is doing but isn't quite up to the level of tradecraft he's asking of her. But after a moment, she nods, and says. "Right...memories. Like, do you remember that fish shop in Sthombo where we had lobster pies? If you ever go back there, ask them where they get their pricklebacks from, and...go there. They're much better fresh. So good." She smiles weakly.
Jan 13, 2017 8:00 pm
"Magic?" repeats Zangua. He wards himself and shakes his head, muttering, "Freakin' Hells, why didn't he just say so?"
Jan 13, 2017 9:05 pm
Vhezyen returned his attention to the meat of the discussion, directed toward Domarc in particular. "You know, this elf you speak of, Pafthinel... he was retained by the Orjo family at the height of their power and influence about 150 years ago. Interestingly enough, the Orjo family of old played an important role in establishing the Hierophant/Innocent pairing, as one of their patriarchs was among the nine conspirators who sacrificed the last King of Hazard to Ziu-Pater."

He paused in recollection. "About sixty years ago, House Orjo put forward their last candidate for Innocent, a sickly boy named Welg Orjo, who failed the trials and was smuggled out of Hazard by his sister... before he could be sacrificed, as required by law for those who fail the trials. Of course, this was utter disgrace for the remaining Orjos. The last to bear the name died off a few years ago, and now they are no more. Or at least it would seem so."

Reaching for a tankard, he came to conclusion. "Perhaps there is an important connection somewhere in that history, as Pafthinel was the Orjo family's personal enchanter and advisor on magical issues for approximately thirty years. As such, it seems to me that finding him might provide not only clues on the Sphere, but could also be informative in ways we have yet to even consider. As such, Vorch might be our best choice."
Last edited January 13, 2017 9:14 pm
Jan 16, 2017 5:28 pm
Domarc listened closely to Zora, and now turns his attention to Vhezyen.

"I am very interested in gaining a better understanding of everything that is going on; we have many things we don't understand. I guess we have to make certain assumptions to help guide our discussion. First, that the Crown crew knows the location of the Sphere and are moving to claim it. That one seems solid to me.

"Second, can we assume that the Pointy Hats know what the Sphere does? I think they know - or believe they know - a specific use for it, but the Sphere may have other properties or aspects that they don't understand. So deeper knowledge may give us a tool to use. Perhaps Gethro can assist us in assessing what the cult knows? On that note, does Gethro have an appreciation for the fact that we think the cult knows where the Sphere is? If we are to leave the Heirophant to defend the city, we should make sure they appreciate the threat.

"Lastly, if we go and do learn useful things, what are the chances that we return in time to be of use? Knowledge is good, but I don't wish to compose the tale of the heroes who came too late."
Jan 16, 2017 9:42 pm
Vhezyen considered Domarc's words, then replied. "Being late is a possibility no matter what course of action we take. And we should allow that the Sphere isn't even a threat yet. It may be one piece of a larger puzzle."

He set down his tankard. "Also, I don't believe we can be certain that they are moving to locate the Sphere so soon. It's an assumption with many variables involved. Marjtan may find ways to mislead them or stall for time, as protecting Bload is protecting her daughter as well. Marjtan also has a great deal of negotiating power: her knowledge and her life, which she threatened to extinguish once before, in exchange for Zora's. Something tells me she would hold it over her captors again, if needed. Marjtan is aligned with us, and will act accordingly. Also, even if our enemy knows the location, perhaps there will be obstacles yet unforeseen for them to overcome."

Shifting, he settles back into his chair, addressing everyone. "Something else to consider: does acquiring the Sphere necessarily entail one will possess the power, or knowledge, to use it? And is the Sphere alone enough? Perhaps there are other 'ingredients' the Six Pronged Crown needs to achieve their aims, and the Sphere is only one part? This is why I firmly believe we should make way for Vorch immediately. It is my belief that the threat of the Six Pronged Crown has only begun, and we are sorely lacking in answers. There is so much we do not know, and I am certain it puts us at a great disadvantage. As of now, I believe any efforts to obtain the Sphere will be akin to stumbling around in the dark."

Definitely voting for a trip to Vorch here. The travel is arranged and ready to go, and there are so many things we could learn about our situation via Pafthinel. Some context could prove to be very enlightening. For all we know the 6PC has to make a trip to Vorch as well, and we might be able to sabotage those efforts.

Also, as a player, Vorch just sounds like more fun. Exotic. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm imagining jungles, tribes, the descendants of a Mad King who couldn't speak and refused to return from exile, ancient ruins, etc.
Last edited January 16, 2017 9:55 pm
Jan 17, 2017 11:56 am
Felor listens as the others discuss their next destination, and mulls over their choices. Finally, he speaks.
"Aye, knowing why the witch-men want the sphere would likely help us stop them more than having the actual sphere. I agree, we should go to Vorch."
Last edited January 17, 2017 11:56 am
Jan 17, 2017 12:10 pm
"Agreed. If we find the Sphere and don't know what to do with it, we may end up dragging a giant metal ball around Bload and beyond for who knows how long. Let's see if we can find this elf first."
Jan 17, 2017 3:58 pm
"Having the Sphere also makes us targets for the Pointy Hats; if we have it, knowing how to use it might make an important difference in how we defend ourselves.

So; it seems we have a preference to path to Pafthinel; any last preparations or premonitions?"
Jan 17, 2017 4:22 pm
Felor thinks back to his original journey to Bload, all those years ago, on a creaking merchant ship. Being born and bred deep in the Jermal mountains, he was not a natural sailor, and he did not relish the prospect of another sea voyage.
I've got a premonition, all right, he thinks, remembering all those hours retching over the side of the galley.
Jan 17, 2017 4:23 pm
Any last private words for Zora before Gethro comes back?
Jan 17, 2017 4:43 pm
Vhezyen addresses the party as a whole. "I, for one, am ready. If there are no objections," his attention turns toward Zora, "I wish you good fortune. Mind the path ahead and those that would follow behind. Above all, be stingy with trust."

Considering the journey ahead, Vhezyen would ponder on two of Utwar's gods, Dagon and Artagatis, with a Religion check.

Rolls

Religion: Dagon - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Religion: Artagatis - (1d20+7)

(9) + 7 = 16

Jan 17, 2017 5:07 pm
"Zora... we will avenge your father and stop the cult's schemes. By Fjorgyn's will, I swear this."
Jan 17, 2017 5:16 pm
Zangua points at Vad as he speaks to Zora. "Keep an eye on him. Gods know he could use the help." He smirks, and holds out his hand for a strong warrior's handshake.
load next

Thread locked