Hm... seems like you're using IE. Can I suggest a better browser, such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera? There are other choices too.

If you wanna stick with IE, or can't switch, I'll warn you right now, while most of this site should work with IE, stuff might come up buggy, so you might not enjoy it as much...

Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

Jul 13, 2017 5:49 pm
Mordred descends the spiraling steps to a chamber about 25' wide and 50' long. There is a firepit in the center of this chamber, full of glowing coals that flicker with low, timid flames. At the far end of the chamber, a small, blackened figure, like the charred remnants of a doll or mannequin, leans against the wall, in a seated position with its head resting on its knees.
Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm
nothing of interest in the cabinet then?

Domarc watches Mordred head down the stairs with some apprehension.
Jul 13, 2017 7:53 pm
Missed that, sorry!

There are more brass and glass bowls, bottles, and other vessels and containers in the cabinet, some empty, some stoppered and full of liquids. There is also a small wooden box full of ashes, six scroll cases, two bound books, a stack of clay tablets, a brass ring, an iron rod about 18" long, a pair of oilskin gloves, a curved knife with a gem-studded handle, and a large red egg on a metal trivet.
Jul 13, 2017 11:39 pm
Very carefully, Domarc will pull out the containers that have liquid in them, the scroll
cases, the books, the clay tablets, the ring, the rod, the knife, the gloves and the metal trivet with the egg on it and place them on one of the tables in the room for closer inspection.

"Lots here for curious folks," he says, "but I do wish there were warning labels..."
Jul 14, 2017 12:20 pm
Mordred waits and watches, both for his friends to join him in the hole and to see if the figure moves or otherwise seems "alive."

How small are we talking? Does it appear to be alive/animated, or is it clearly dead/inert?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

( 17 ) = 17

Jul 14, 2017 4:14 pm
Zangua remains top-side, maintaining his watch over the vicinity. Let the investigators poke their noses and fingers into dark corners; he'll come running when the screaming starts.
Jul 14, 2017 4:38 pm
The figure would be maybe four feet tall if it stood to full height. It isn't moving at all.
Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm
Domarc will examine the books and the clay tablet.
Jul 18, 2017 12:47 pm
Sigh.

Mordred pokes the figure gently with his rapier.

Sorry y'all.
Jul 18, 2017 2:15 pm
Poking things that should be left unpoked is what adventurers do
Jul 18, 2017 4:50 pm
That's our party motto right there. The Iron Sphere Crew: Poking things that should be left unpoked. Someone translate it into Latin Old High Mezian.
Jul 19, 2017 9:00 am
Tᴀᴄᴛᴜs Isᴛᴜs Iʟʟɪᴄɪᴛᴜs
(fake Latin for "handling that which is forbidden")
Last edited July 19, 2017 9:00 am, a total of 1 time
Jul 19, 2017 5:17 pm
The books seem to be treatises on the nature of fire; the tablets appear to be notes on experiments, written in Pafthinel's cryptic shorthand.

The charred figure twitches and scrabbles a few feet away when Mordred pokes it. It swivels its head towards him and makes a crackling, hissing sound with its mouth.
Jul 19, 2017 5:25 pm
Upstairs, Zangua fights back a yawn. He rolls his neck and waits.
Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm
"Heads up!" Mordred calls up the stairs.

"Easy, friend. We mean you no harm." Mordred repeats himself in Common and Infernal, sheathing his rapier and holding up his empty hands in a gesture of peace.
Last edited July 19, 2017 6:21 pm, a total of 1 time

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+5)

( 18 ) + 5 = 23

Jul 19, 2017 6:25 pm
Zangua looks around, then looks to the stairs, expecting something to come up.
Jul 19, 2017 9:33 pm
Felor sighs. "Don't tell me you opened something!" he calls as he approaches the top of the stairs.
Jul 20, 2017 3:55 pm
The charred creatures responds to Mordred in its incomprehensible crackle-hiss language, and maintains a wary posture.
Jul 20, 2017 4:24 pm
Any chance I can recognize what this is?

"Erm. There's a little creature down here. Doesn't appear to be dangerous. Yet. Wait up there for now so we don't spook it."

I'm tempted to show it some fire magic, because if it is a fire creature, it might help to make a connection. Alternatively, maybe it has been hurt by fire magic, and such a display would make it hostile. Thoughts?
Last edited July 20, 2017 4:27 pm, a total of 2 times

Rolls

Nature/Arcana/History/Investigation - (1d20+1)

( 15 ) + 1 = 16

Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm
Domarc leaves his investigation of the items on the table and heads over the stairs at the top of the pit.

"Would a translator help? Perhaps you should dance for it, or Zangua can draw?"
71 of 72
<< First < 69 70 71 72 >

Thread locked