Chapter 2: Into the Cage

load previous
May 9, 2018 10:41 am
Ebb Creakknees leans back on his chair as he gets comfortable to answer Wickari's question with another long rant. "The Harmonium are indeed the City Watch of the City of Doors, but we are so much than just that. Watching over the city, upholding law and stamping out crime is but a service we provide to the Cage, as do most Factions, which in turn is an expression of out philosophy. What philosophy is that, you're preparing to ask. Why, law and order of course. A perfect society, much like those in the Higher Plane of Arcadia. Those 'dungeon guards' you mentioned would be the Mercykillers. They run the Prison and those two you were talking to earlier were probably back from their shift there. They're all about dispensing justice; the Harmonium is about preventing injustice in the first place."

Xana' question derails the old man's train of thought, but he quickly gets the momentum back as he answers her question. "That is not an invalid question, young lady, but it is indeed one a Clueless would make. You see, the Dustmen seek to achieve what they call 'True Death'. If you think they're odd, that's because they eschew emotion in order to reach a state of utter detachment and apathy. To them, emotions anchor one onto existence and prevent achieving True Death, much like an unfinished task or tragic death anchors one's spirit like a ghost and stops it from moving on. Sending in someone to speed up the process would make them greedy and impatient, so they'd rather sit back and wait for things to take whatever course they're meant to anyway. That's also why they pay up the coin upon signing, though the truth is immediate payment does provide a strong incentive for poor sods to sign the thing in the first place. Now, for a third party... I guess someone could do that, yes, but they'd only get away with whatever coin the poor sod was given to sign the Contract; Dustmen wouldn't bother to reward such an act. I mean, their beliefs aside, this would make them instigators to murder and the Lady would not stand for such a thing!"
May 9, 2018 6:46 pm
"How do you ensure there is no injustice?"
May 10, 2018 7:38 am
"Why, by patrolling the streets and preventing crime, of course! Within City limits, arrested folk are trialed by the Fraternity of Order judges and the Red Death carry out the sentence. Outside the Cage though, that's another story. We do carry the worst cases to a settlement in Arcadia though, provided they're redeemable. Let some of that Plane's goodness rub off them" he concludes with a proud smile.
May 10, 2018 2:25 pm
Wickari has a satisfied look to him as he leans back obviously in some sort of day dream. He snaps out of it. "Thank you for the information Ebb. Is this were we can typically find you?"
May 11, 2018 7:11 am
mcneils5 sent a note to DarK_RaideR
May 14, 2018 7:12 am
"Aye. The don't call me Creakknees for nothing, young man. Can't move around a lot, but I've grown to enjoy this place anyway."
DarK_RaideR sent a note to mcneils5
May 14, 2018 7:47 am
mcneils5 sent a note to DarK_RaideR

Rolls

Secret Roll

May 14, 2018 7:02 pm
Wick hands the bar man his apron back and settles into his meal and then heads to the room for some rest. He tells his friends, "We should try to get to the mortuary early, eh? I am headed to bed."
May 15, 2018 7:21 am
DarK_RaideR sent a note to mcneils5
OOC:
Fast forward to the morning after?
May 15, 2018 12:34 pm
DarK_RaideR says:
OOC:
Fast forward to the morning after?
OOC:
Fine by me
Last edited May 15, 2018 12:35 pm
May 17, 2018 2:43 am
I go to bed dreaming of faceless zombies hauling other faceless zombies in wheelbarrows, pointing and laughing at them.
May 17, 2018 12:27 pm
It's been a long... day, or whatever it's been since you last remember, but falling asleep still isn't easy. Your brain is restless, trying to process everything it's taken in and even once the darkness finally comes, your dreams are weird and alien. When you wake up again, you don't exactly feel properly rested, but come to think of it, you never really did feel tired in the first place.

After collecting yourselves and having some breakfast, you hit the streets and return to the haunting building of the Mortuary. The surrounding area is mildly alive with a fair amount of petty commercial activity of street vendors peddling their wares and ragmen begging for cash, but once you get to the Mortuary itself, things are deadly silent. Not a single soul is around, besides the guards of the black gate.

You are led to a somber woman of middle age in simple grey robes, introduced to you as Toranna. Her ashen-silver grey curly hair frame a face that seems too old for how she is, but her voice is soft and youthful. "I am told you were here last night looking for someone?"
May 22, 2018 9:53 pm
Tarandar puts on his best smile, trying not to let the discomfort he’s feeling at being literally surrounded by the dead show through "Indeed we are, we were told some of your fine members dutifully collected the body of our friend and we were hoping we could collect his personal effects to be returned to his family"
May 23, 2018 12:34 pm
"I see" she says with a nod. "And what would your friend's name be?"
May 23, 2018 8:12 pm
"He is....well, was a man called Eliath." he proceeds to relay the description they have for Eliath.
May 24, 2018 7:20 am
"Yes, the description sounds familiar. I thank you for providing a name to go with it" she responds "Bodies we don't know where to send to, like most barmies and bubbers, we incinerate them in the Elemental Plane of Fire. Your friend Eliath was sent to the flames through the portal last week" she says in an emotionless, matter-of-fact manner. "If he had any personal possessions on him when he died, they were probably claimed by the Collectors who brought him in."
May 25, 2018 1:22 pm
Tarandar nods trying to seem as if this was the most normal thing in the world "Of course, would it be possible to speak to these collectors to see if they still have any of dear Eliath's possessions? Hopefully we can come to some arrangement with them if that is permitted"
May 28, 2018 8:10 am
"I assume it would" she says uninterested. "If I remember correctly, his body was brought in by Mourner Tom's group. You should be able to find them somewhere in the Hive if you ask around"
May 28, 2018 5:58 pm
Wickari can't contain himself "Those liars, wait, did they lie to us? Right, those liars."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.