Chapter Two: Dragon Hatchery

Mar 27, 2017 6:00 pm
"That seems a good plan," Escobert says, "But it should probably wait until morning. It's already past dark and it's been a long day."
Mar 29, 2017 2:48 pm
I fully agree. I'm looking forward to a good long rest! Erich says, yawning slightly.
Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm
Bughu steps over to Escobert and mutters low in private conversation.
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Mar 29, 2017 4:38 pm
Escobert whispers back...
Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Mar 29, 2017 4:55 pm
Bughu sighs, head bowed in thought and he crosses his arms over his chest. He shakes his head once like flicking away a thought, and replies back.
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Last edited March 29, 2017 4:55 pm
Mar 29, 2017 5:10 pm
Escobert nods, eyes flicking to the group...
Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Mar 29, 2017 5:13 pm
Bughu returns the nod, and heads off to find some rest. He spends the night in contemplation, remembering Oridun in his own private way.
Mar 30, 2017 1:56 pm
OOC:
You will all gain the benefit of a long rest!
You wake up bright and early in the morning... Is there anything you want before you head out?
Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm
Bughu looks for breakfast, methodically dons his equipment, and heads to the courtyard. He waits for the others if necessary, ready to depart.
Mar 30, 2017 9:26 pm
Mryio looks for the monk.
Mar 30, 2017 9:28 pm
It doesn't take long for Mryio to find Leosin, who is resting in the shade of a tree outside, "What can I do for you, my friend?"
Mar 30, 2017 10:10 pm
Mryio kneels next to Leosin "I don't mean to disturb your rest, sir, but I have to extinguish any source. While you were there, you didn't happen to see a half-elf or hear the name Talis did you?"
Mar 31, 2017 3:23 pm
Erich stretches, the early morning light harsh in his eyes.

Dragons and raiders. Ugh, what a night! he groans to himself as he pulls on his clothes for the day. With no other truly pending issues, he stops in to grab a small bite to eat, nothing heavy or expensive. He then makes his way to the courtyard where he finds Bughu.

Well met. I was wondering, since I've made a bit of a mess of some of our quiet approaches in the past, while we are here and not in earshot of known enemies, could you give me any level of advice or help on what I can do to make sure I don't screw us up? he asks the veteran, a slightly sheepish look in his eyes.
Mar 31, 2017 3:37 pm
"No trouble at all, I'm feeling pretty well thanks to that strange mushroom you gave me!" he thinks for a moment about the name Talis, but shrugs, "Can't say that I've heard then name. A friend of yours?"
Mar 31, 2017 6:51 pm
Bughu considers his words. "Consider the perspective of the enemy and what they are looking at. Think of the environment: lighting, shadows, the plants and buildings. If you can see what the enemy sees, you will know best how to blend in, how to become part of their surroundings. In this way you can hide even when it is broad daylight.

"There's more to it than that. Attentiveness versus boredom. Line of sight versus peripheral vision. What is there around you that can make noise should you pass through. But these will come from experience."
Mar 31, 2017 7:51 pm
Jon is still at breakfast, which he eats while writing a letter detailing his recent exploits to his ex-wife, another letter he will never send.
Apr 3, 2017 12:58 pm
OOC:
Everyone ready to head out?
Apr 3, 2017 1:26 pm
OOC:
Ready indeed.
Thank you Bughu, I will try to do that. Please continue to correct me as I falter. Erich says with a smile.
Apr 3, 2017 5:21 pm
Bughu nods, then looks for Jon. He is ready to head out as soon as the halfling arrives from whatever numbers of breakfasts were eaten.
Apr 3, 2017 5:34 pm
As the party is preparing to leave, you see Leosin making his way to the group, "I don't think that I'll be here when you get back, so I was hoping to catch you before you left. I am traveling to Elturel to let a friend know what I've found. If you could possibly meet me there when you are done, I can pay you 150 gold pieces for the trouble. If you can't find me there, seek out Ontharr Frume, a palading of Torm there."
Apr 4, 2017 8:38 pm
OOC:
Any response to Leosin's request?

Also, I'm pretty sure I forgot to state it, so let's assume that the 250 gp reward was delivered to Bughu, Erich, and Jon for checking out the bandit camp
Apr 4, 2017 8:40 pm
OOC:
Totally missed that his request was a group-wide offering, because I fail at reading comprehension today.
Erich looks the monk over quickly. Provided I still have my head on my shoulders after the next great foray, I'd be happy to meet you. Not sure about the others.
Apr 4, 2017 8:42 pm
Bughu blinks. "You know Sir Frume?" he asks, his features softening from their normally-stoic expression. His arms unfold as he turns to face Leosin.
Apr 4, 2017 8:45 pm
"Frume has been a friend of mine for a long time. He shares my concerns about this cult," Leosin says, "I take it you've heard of him?"
Apr 4, 2017 8:53 pm
Bughu extends his hand, this time with a smile. "Sir Frume has mentored me during my service," he says. "He asked me here to check up on rumors about this cult. That sly dog!"
Apr 4, 2017 9:02 pm
Leosin smiles in return and clasps your hand warmly, "It's a small world for sure. Wish I'd known earlier that we had another person in the field! Maybe we could've let you get captured rather than me!" he finishes with a chuckle, then winces in pain. He smiles and waves away any concern for his well-being if it's offered.
Apr 4, 2017 10:15 pm
"Give him my regards should you see him," says Bughu, providing his name if it wasn't already mentioned. "Though I hope to do so myself once this mission has completed."
Apr 5, 2017 1:55 pm
"Glad to hear it, I look forward to seeing you later," he says, then dons his pack and sets off to the north.

You set out toward the raider's camp shortly after, making it there just after noon. You are shocked by what you see. The camp is almost completely empty, the kobold tents burnt to the ground and the towers unmanned. There are just a few men left in the camp and they look more like hunters than cultists.
Apr 5, 2017 4:15 pm
From the party's vantage point, Bughu tries to see if there are obvious signs to indicate which direction the camp has headed off to. He also observes the hunters in the camp to see where they congregate.

"If they're hunters, that might mean some cultists still remain," comments Bughu while he watches. "Those who stayed behind still need food. Question is, did they move the eggs, too? You still got that gem?" The last is directed to Jon.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Investigation - (1d20-1)

(17) - 1 = 16

Apr 5, 2017 4:43 pm
After about an hour of watching the camp, you can see that there are three hunters currently in the camp, but it doesn't appear that there are any cultists left here who seem to have taken over a few of the tents on the upper level of the valley. You can see the entrance to the hatchery and you see a flash of movement from within, but you can't see too much of what it was.

Jon's gem still pulls vaguely at the cave that contains the hatchery.
Apr 5, 2017 4:54 pm
Bughu mutters, "I'm guessing they didn't move the eggs. Whatever the reason, there's probably a healthy-sized contingent of soldiers inside the caves, as there's no way they'd leave the nest unguarded."

He turns to the others. "Thoughts?"
Apr 5, 2017 6:08 pm
Only one real way to find out, right? We have an obligation, so we should probably send someone, or someones, who are quiet into the maw to see what they can spot. Then make a better informed decision. Maybe?
Apr 6, 2017 6:47 am
Mryio begins walking to the hunters.
Apr 6, 2017 7:07 am
Bughu mutters darkly at Erich and Jon, "Your trustworthy companion is a shining example of cooperation." If it hasn't already been established, he attempts to keep a low profile as they maintain observation of Mryio's actions.
Apr 6, 2017 12:53 pm
As Mryio approaches, the hunters look up toward him. Seeing that he's no obvious threat, they go back to what they were doing before, more than content to ignore him.
Apr 6, 2017 5:31 pm
Mryio waves his hand at the hunters "How goes the hunt, good enough to spare a traveler some food?"
OOC:
Are they all together?
Apr 6, 2017 5:51 pm
OOC:
They are spread out among the remains of the camp
The hunter that Mryio approaches looks at him with a raised eyebrow, "Sorry, but I'm working here and I don't think they'd like if I gave the food away free," he says gruffly, continuing his work.
Apr 6, 2017 6:05 pm
"No worries, I wouldnt want you to get in trouble on behalf of me. Who's they? Perhaps I can ask them and get an okay."
Apr 6, 2017 6:26 pm
"Boss is in there," he says, pointing to the cave where you know the hatchery to be, "Wouldn't head in there, though. Don't think they like visitors, but you're more than welcome to try."
Apr 6, 2017 6:28 pm
Bughu mentions quietly, "I wonder if the other caves are all connected?"
Apr 6, 2017 6:40 pm
Mryio looks over in the direction the hunter points "You boys wouldn't happen to be part of that dragon cult I've heard about, would you?"
Apr 6, 2017 6:49 pm
"Us? No," he says, "We were hired to bring in a lot of meat. That's all they told us when they packed up last night and left in a hurry.
Apr 6, 2017 7:00 pm
"Well thank you for your time, Mr...I'm afraid I didn't catch your name, my name's Mryio." he extends an open hand out "I'll let you get back to your work now, have a good one."

Mryio returns to the group and relays what he found.
Last edited April 6, 2017 7:24 pm
Apr 6, 2017 7:04 pm
Bughu speaks up as Myrio nears. "Keep walking, until you are past their vision," he says, referring to the hunters. "Then double back unseen." The last thing he wants is for the mustached man to give away their position.
Apr 6, 2017 7:22 pm
"Eli is my name, good to meet you," he responds with a firm shake and an absent wave goodbye.
Apr 6, 2017 7:34 pm
"You over think things to much. I'm not going to waste my time doubling back because you're paranoid." Mryio makes his way back to the hunter without relaying what he learned to the group.

He sheepishly smiles at the hunter "Seems like my stomach didn't want me to leave without at least trying. When I go in there, assuming that there's more than one person, how do I know which one's your boss?"
Apr 9, 2017 1:24 am
"Lady who hired us wears purple robes, has short black hair. Seems important. You can probably tell the difference between this one and a stupid grunt," he says, then nods, apparently satisfied with his description.
Apr 9, 2017 2:05 am
"Guess I'll go pay her a visit, thanks for the help, friend." Mryio pats his stomach and chuckles "Hunger calls." he says as he turns and makes his way to the cavern.
Apr 10, 2017 2:47 am
"So he's either scouting the caverns under the pretense of being a cultist," says Bughu from their observation post, "or he's going to rat us out."
Apr 10, 2017 12:50 pm
OOC:
Bughu and the rest going to join, or gonna stay out here?
Apr 10, 2017 4:39 pm
OOC:
I'll stick with Bughu.
Apr 10, 2017 4:55 pm
As Mryio enters the cavern, a couple of men in dark clothing leap out at him, scimitars drawn. He is able to see them in time to not be taken off guard.
OOC:
Mryion gets the initiative. These guys are obviously ready to cut you down, how do you react?

Rolls

Mryio Initiative - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Enemy Initiative - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Apr 10, 2017 7:26 pm
Mryio holds out his hands "Now fellas, don't see why you're so hostile, I didn't come to fight ya. The boyo outside said I could come and talk to the lady in purple, something about a meat supply."
Apr 10, 2017 7:30 pm
OOC:
He did say that they might not welcome you!
Your argument doesn't seem to sway them.
Apr 10, 2017 7:37 pm
"You have forced my hand than, you have no one else to blame but yourselves." Mryio extends his hand and grips his holy symbol with the other, and says a quick incantation.

Casting Sleep.

Rolls

Please be nice to me dice ;-; - (5d8)

(33536) = 20

Apr 10, 2017 7:43 pm
One of the approaching men falls to the ground, but the other is unaffected. The other man leaps forward, sword swinging. Mryio frantically bats the flashing weapon away, keeping it well clear of his body. After he recovers from the savageness of the attack, he is ready to fight.

Enemies
Cultist 1: 19/19, AC 14 (Sleeping, 10 rds)
Cultist 2: 19/19, AC 14
OOC:
Your turn!
Apr 10, 2017 7:49 pm
Mryio draws his maul "Do not go down this path, I'm not your enemy I just want to talk to your boss about meat."
OOC:
Dodge action.
Apr 10, 2017 7:51 pm
"No one may enter here on pain of death!" the man growls, continuing his attack on Mryio. Mryio, now on his guard, is easily able to fend off the attacks.

Those of you outside now see Mryio slowly being pushed out of the tunnel by a warrior in black clothing who is viciously attacking.

Enemies
Cultist 2: 19/19, AC 14
OOC:
Back to Mryio!
Apr 10, 2017 8:00 pm
Bughu unshoulders his longbow. He looks over at the hunters to gauge their reaction, as well as sight the range to the conflict.
Apr 10, 2017 8:01 pm
"Very well, if this is your path." Mryio hoists up his hammer and swings it at the cultist attacking him.

Rolls

Attack/Damage - (1d20+5, 2d6+3)

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

2d6+3 : (26) + 3 = 11

Apr 10, 2017 8:08 pm
The hunters don't react except to sit back and watch. Apparently they don't care about a little scuffle in the cave.

The fight is about 300 feet way from your hiding place.
Apr 10, 2017 8:15 pm
Mryio's maul strikes the dark-clothed man in the guy, flinging him backward and knocking the wind out of him. Despite his obviously serious wounds, he stands up, snarls and charges at the paladin again. Once again, Mryio proves to be a better warrior, turning aside each attack with ease.

Enemies
Cultist 2: 8/19, AC 14
OOC:
Mryio's turn again!
Apr 10, 2017 8:20 pm
"You have the power to stop this, just leave. I will not follow you, I will not hold a grudge against you. Is this worth losing your life over?"
OOC:
Holding my action, with the trigger being him pushing the attack.
Apr 10, 2017 8:21 pm
"Come on," Bughu states, and begins to head off closer to the camp. He tries to maintain a stealthy approach.
Last edited April 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Apr 10, 2017 8:23 pm
The man growls, but lowers his weapon, then suddenly lunges forward to attack again. There is a crazed look in his eyes, telling you that nothing in this world can turn him from his mission...
OOC:
Go ahead and roll your readied attack
Apr 10, 2017 8:24 pm
Distracted as they are, the hunters don't notice your approach.
Apr 10, 2017 8:26 pm
"Very well, forgive me for not being able to save you."

Rolls

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

2d6+3 : (14) + 3 = 8

GWF reroll - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Apr 10, 2017 8:35 pm
Mryio's next strike takes the man in the chest, sending him to the ground. He doesn't get back up.
Apr 10, 2017 8:41 pm
OOC:
Mryio will gain a point of inspiration for his attempts to NOT kill the man even in the face of such aggression
Apr 10, 2017 8:43 pm
Mryio puts away his maul, he takes a knee by the man, places a hand on the man's face and closes his eyes "Rest easy, hopefully you can find peace in your afterlife." He stands, pulling a rope out of his bag, and begins tying up the sleeping cultist then drags him out of the cave.
Apr 10, 2017 11:17 pm
Jon follows alongside Bughu.
Apr 11, 2017 1:34 pm
The hunters shrug and return to their work, studiously ignoring you guys.
OOC:
You are all at the mouth of the cave, what now?
Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm
Mryio props the man up against the cave wall and gives him a few light slaps on his cheek. "Rise and shine, sleeping beauty."
Apr 11, 2017 1:59 pm
The man startles awake and looks around frantically, confused as to what's going on. As he looks at Mryio's mustached face, he remembers and launches a wad of spit into his face, then turns his head to look away.
Apr 11, 2017 2:20 pm
Mryio wipes the spit off his face "Do not be mad at me, I gave you two plenty of chances to stand down when all I wanted do do was have a chat with your boss-lady. You could of avoided all this, if only you simply listened." he stays on his knee, looking the man in the eye "Promise me you'll leave this cult, you don't need them, you can save your friend. Do the right thing friend, your life is more meaningful than to throw it out over this."
Apr 11, 2017 2:38 pm
"I will never betray the oaths I made to the Dragon Queen," he laughs in your face, "Kill me now, if you must, but I will not turn away from my service to Her."
Apr 11, 2017 3:37 pm
Bughu half-listens to the conversation as evident from the twitch in his eye, but his attention is further down the cavern. In these confines, he shoulders his longbow and draws his hand crossbow, sighting along the bolt.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Apr 11, 2017 3:50 pm
"I'm not going to kill you, you are no threat to me." Mryio stands and enters the cave, returning shorty after with the lifeless body of the other cultist guard. He sets the body next to the bound one "You can say what you want but you've already betrayed the Dragon Queen. You were tasked to guard that entrance, you failed; your partner died and you're a bound captive. Do you really think your promises would be honored after failing that simple task?"
Apr 11, 2017 3:58 pm
Bughu looks into the cave mouth, but can't see to the other end as the light dies after a short distance into the cave. He does see the cavern opens up a short distance inside.

The cultist narrows his eyes, "I know what you're trying to do here. Trying to weaken my resolve... It won't work. I am shamed by my failure, but I will not give up my oaths to her and you will not break me."

With that, he leans forward as far as he can go and then snaps his body back as hard as he can, smacking his head into the wall. You hear a crack and he falls limp.
Apr 11, 2017 4:16 pm
Bughu comments dryly, "You do have a way with words, don't you?"
Apr 12, 2017 4:55 am
"He was lost to this oath, probably to a false promise of riches beyond his wildest dream if he never broke them and a spot by this 'Dragon Queens' side when he dies if he was loyal to her." Mryio solemnly says "My words were just that to him, words, he saw no meaning in any of them; if they didn't have anything to do with his 'Queen', they were poison and blasphemes." he kneels down, closes the man's eyelids, unties and puts the rope away.
Apr 12, 2017 4:52 pm
"Fanaticism runs strong with this Cult," Bughu states. "Inspired by their champions, no doubt. What have you discovered thus far in your attempts at diplomacy?"
Apr 13, 2017 2:46 am
"More than you've gotten hiding in your bush." Mryio states back "Avoid the lady in purple or seek her out if you're looking for the head honcho of this cave."
Apr 13, 2017 3:19 am
"The plan is to find the egg," says Bughu, giving a nod to Jon for direction. He turns back to Myrio. "Given that we will likely find more cultists and other mercenaries in these caverns, did you plan to try to talk your way through all of them first?"

This time the question is more sincere. Now in the maw of the beast, Bughu's preference for a workable strategy takes precedence.
Apr 13, 2017 5:28 am
"If we run into anymore, yes. Just because they are lost, doesn't mean they don't at least deserve a chance at redemption." Mryio gives a slight smile "I met a boy once, couldn't of been any older than 15, he pulled a dagger on me and demanded any gold or valuables that I might have or he'd end my life. Instead of giving into his demands, I offered him a job instead; a local job supplied by the tavern for pest elimination. I accompanied him, helped him complete this job, and let him keep the pay that came with it then walked him to his home; wasn't much bigger than a prison cell. Huddled in the corner was his mother holding his little sister, she had a terrified look on her face when I entered with her son; she was afraid I was going to bring him to justice and stammered he was a good kid." his face lights up as he goes on further into the story "The look of surprise from the mother and the smile on the kids face is something I'll never forget when he told her he earned the gold by honest means. I bought them a full meal and told the kid to keep on the steady and come to me if he wanted me to grab a job from the tavern and that's what I did, helped him whenever he asked and he was able to feed his family."

Mryio's face saddens "I failed him later that year. I took pilgrimage to strengthen the bond to my god during which the kid fell back to his old ways out of the need to feed his family. He was killed; his body was never found, never got properly laid to rest all because someone felt the need to attack instead of talk to him. Everyone has their own stories and their own reasons for the things they do, I just try to do them right."
Apr 13, 2017 7:15 am
"A good story," says Bughu, emotionless. "I also have one of failure, and it, too, involves a lad, younger than 15 by a season. He was a greenhorn, good eyes, but barely capable of pulling the string back on his bow.

"One day on winter patrol, he discovered a thief no older than himself, trying to break into the Duke's granary. He confronted this boy and was told that the thief was desperate for food, anything to stave off starvation for himself and his family in the cold season. The soldier took pity on this thief and averted his eyes to allow the lad to take as much as he needed; surely the Duke could spare a few sacks of barley and wheat.

"The failure came later. This 'thief' turned out to be an assassin. He poisoned the grains and spoiled the stores, weakening the military and those who relied on the food for winter. A rival attacked that dukedom the following spring, burning farmland and villages, and laying siege to the castle."

Bughu's face is stony. "Should the soldier have killed the thief? No. The thief should have been arrested and justice would determine his fate. Perhaps this thief really did have a starving family, or was forced to perform this act in order to save himself or a loved one. Perhaps the thief would have been executed for his crimes, justified or not; it is not the soldier's choice to decide. The soldier should have acted in accordance with his sworn duty, and in the context of his assigned task.

"In this regard, you are correct that each person has their own reasons for their actions. And perhaps everyone deserves a chance at redemption. But what determines righteousness? Who decides whether it is the soldier's story that deserves to be told, or the assassin's? Does the assassin deserve redemption after indirectly causing the death of hundreds? Does the soldier deserve redemption for the same? What about those that died, and the survivors that suffered?"

Bughu double-checks the security of his light crossbow before turning his attention to the tunnels beyond. "We can wax poetic until the Hells freeze, but for now we have a job to do. We must act in the context of our assignment, which is to secure the dragon's egg, and if we should happen to recover intelligence about the Cult's plans it would only be a bonus.

"You may talk to these cultists if you choose. I now see value in learning what we can from these cultists despite their ravings, so I will not stop you from speaking to whomever we come across. By that same token, you will not stay our hands from fulfilling our duty just so you can feel smug about righteousness and redemption. Are we clear?"
Apr 13, 2017 8:09 am
"Thank you for sharing your story. I believe everyone's should be told, omit knowledge and no one learns, if no one learns the world becomes blind. I would not deny either of the boys from redemption but those who gave the order; without knowing what this 'assassin' was told, we cannot fault him for what he did if he seeks redemption for it. Was it a terrible thing that he did? Yes but that is the definition of war and it will be as long as evil taints the innocent."

It is easy to tell he wants to continue on with his "lesson" but spares Bughu and the rest to get on with the mission at hand "I am not opposed to fighting. If they prove to be lost, as those two before, they are better off being silenced; lest they spread their poison to the future generation." Mryio will take point with his hands free from weaponry.
Apr 13, 2017 12:59 pm
You enter into the cave. The first chamber is a wide open area where several stalagmites poke up from the ground. Off to your east is a ledge overlooking a chamber. To the right of the ledge, broad steps are roughly hewn into a natural stone ramp. The cavern below is carpeted with a profusion of fungi ranging from a few inches high to nearly as tall as a human adult. Two paths lead through the fungi: one on the right and one on the left.

There is an alcove on the southern wall, deeply shadowed but apparently empty from what you can see.
Apr 13, 2017 3:40 pm
Bughu looks at Erich, pointing two fingers at his own eyes then indicating the alcove. What does the half-elf see with his darkvision?

As for the paths through the fungi, Bughu looks to see if there is any difference between the right and left.
OOC:
Are there lit torches in this cave?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Apr 13, 2017 4:06 pm
Bughu doesn't see any difference between the two paths.

Erich doesn't see anything in the alcove from where he stands about 40 feet away.

There are no torches in here, just the daylight from outside.
Apr 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Jon takes out a copper piece. "Heads we go right, tails we go left, hmm?" He flips it, catches it, and slaps it on the back of his hand.

The coin comes up tails. "Well, my friends. The copper has spoken."
Last edited April 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Rolls

Coin toss (1 heads, 2 tails) - (1d2)

(2) = 2

Apr 13, 2017 7:18 pm
Bughu nods, and begins to light a torch, which he will hand to Jon.
Apr 13, 2017 7:23 pm
OOC:
What's your marching order gonna be?
Apr 13, 2017 7:26 pm
OOC:
Myrio is on point. Bughu will follow second.
Apr 14, 2017 2:15 pm
Erich pulls his arcane focus free of its home, and mutters softly. A gentle light flares from the object, shining like a torch. With his other hand, he covers the light, experimenting with blocking the light and using it as a pinpoint source of illumination.
OOC:
Casting light on my focus. Erich will remain in the middle of the group, eyes on the lookout for threats.
Apr 14, 2017 2:30 pm
OOC:
Marching order: Mryio, Bughu, Erich, Jon ok with everyone?
As Mryio reaches the bottom of the steps, the final few collapse and he is sent tumbling forward into the right-hand path. As he lands, a couple of large violet mushrooms reach out and hit him with disgusting little feelers. As the feelers touch him, he feels his strength being drained away (21 and 19 vs AC. 2 and 3 necrotic damage). He stumbles back from the fungus, which withdraws its feelers back into itself.

Looking down the paths, it doesn't look like the left path has any of the violet fungi, while the right path is overgrown with it. Everyone else can avoid the trick stairs easily now that they are aware of them.
Apr 14, 2017 4:44 pm
Bughu hops over the last steps, reaching out to pull Myrio back while keeping his hand crossbow trained for any more threats.
Apr 14, 2017 10:49 pm
"I like my mushrooms brown and well-cooked, thank you," Jon mutters as he hops over the missing step.
Apr 15, 2017 5:36 am
Mryio reaches up and accepts Bughu's help with a nod of thanks. "If your mission is to find an egg, the right path could be either a prime location or the exact opposite. Were you told where this egg would be kept?"
Apr 15, 2017 7:12 am
"There is supposed to be a hatchery in one of these caves," says Bughu. "A safe guess that it would be well-guarded, but we do not know which of these tunnels will lead us there. As for the specific egg we are to recover, we have an item that will point us to it. The safety of the other eggs were not part of the deal."
Apr 15, 2017 8:47 am
"Well-guarded by what though. I don't know the natural diet of fungus but if eggs aren't on their menu the right path would prove a good, free defense for the egg." Mryio looks down the right path and rolls his shoulders "Does this item not give an idea of where it might be? While I have no problem going down the right path, if we don't need to, I'd rather leave the fungi be."
Apr 17, 2017 5:03 pm
OOC:
The gem gives no indication of the exact direction
Taking the path to the left, you make it through unharmed. After passing through a short tunnel, you emerge into another chamber. From here you can see chambers to the west and north, and a set of stairs leading down to the east. The floor of this chamber has a number of dead bats on the floor.
Apr 17, 2017 5:32 pm
Bughu cautiously scans the chamber, looking for signs of other occupants.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Apr 18, 2017 2:43 am
Bughu doesn't see anything else in the room.
OOC:
No shock with that roll!
Apr 18, 2017 3:15 am
The archer kneels to inspect one of the bodies, looking for any external signs as the cause of death.
OOC:
Yep. Dead bat.
Last edited April 18, 2017 3:15 am

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Apr 18, 2017 12:49 pm
Erich keeps his eyes roving as Bughu inspects the dead bat, hoping he catches sight of any threat before it occurs.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Apr 18, 2017 1:19 pm
Erich looks up and sees that the ceiling is covered in bats, hundreds of them all over the ceiling of this chamber. You get the impression that it would be a good idea to remain quiet in here, lest you disturb the bats.
Apr 18, 2017 1:22 pm
Erich creeps to Bughu and presses on his shoulder softly. If the man turns to him, he'll gesture to the ceiling and hold a finger to his lips.
Apr 18, 2017 1:23 pm
OOC:
To move through the room you will all have to give me a stealth check
Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm
OOC:
Is Erich a sneaky fellow.....?

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Apr 18, 2017 4:03 pm
Bughu nods at the warning, using hand signals to indicate that he will move through the passage.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Apr 18, 2017 4:06 pm
OOC:
Which way do you wanna go? There are chambers to the north, west, and stairs leading east.
Apr 18, 2017 4:48 pm
Bughu signals to the others that perhaps the stairs to the east are worth investigating.
Apr 19, 2017 2:55 am
Bughu manages to quietly make his way over to the eastern stairs. At the base of these steeply descending steps, a curtain hangs across the passage. It is made from hundreds of heavy leather strips, each about the width of a human hand. The strips are fixed to the ceiling and are long enough to drag on the floor. The curtain extends from wall to wall. The leather comes from a variety of local animals and is badly cured. The curtain is several layers thick with no gaps, so you can’t see through it at all.
Apr 19, 2017 6:39 am
Bughu draws his scimitar and uses the blade to part the curtain and inspect the area beyond.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Apr 19, 2017 1:00 pm
Bughu moves the curtain aside, peering into the room ahead. As his scimitar pushes against the curtains there is a scrape of metal and he can see small metal barbs protruding from the strips in the middle. It appears that these barbs are meant to cut those who try to gain access without permission. You can guess that they are likely poisoned.

The smell of old blood assaults your nose. The floor is covered with dried puddles of it. Four floor-to-ceiling columns are spaced across the chamber, and chains have been strung between them like clothesline. Animal carcasses hang on hooks from the chains. You see gutted and skinned antelope, deer, goats, what might be big cats, and even a few small bears. Some of this meat has been here for a while if the smell is a reliable indicator.
Apr 19, 2017 4:04 pm
Bughu lets the curtain drop and returns to the group, sheathing his sword. He shakes his head to indicate there's nothing worth checking out back down the stairs, and motions to the west.
Apr 21, 2017 6:09 pm
"There's not much that could put me off meats...but that comes as close as anything," Jon says.
Apr 24, 2017 1:39 pm
You peer into the room to the west and are very glad that you moved with stealth, because you can see that there is a group of kobolds in the room. The room is dimly lit by oil lamps, showing the shadowed forms of four regular kobolds and one with wings. The northern part of this room is not visible, but you can see that there is a set of wooden stairs beyond a wooden door leading down to a lower area. On the southern wall, you can see a lot of different tools; long poles with lassos at the end, leashes, collars, sharp prods, and human-sized dummies. Beyond the tools is a set of stairs leading downward.

Light
Dim Light provided by a couple of oil lamps

Exits
Stone staircase leading south
Gated wooden stairs leading down to lower level in the north

Enemies
About 30-40 feet from entrance to room
Four kobolds
One winged kobold
Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm
Erich lightly presses on Bughu's shoulder again. With a motion, he mimics someone lying their head down in sleep and then points towards the kobolds. With his other hand he slips his wand out and gestures to it.
Apr 24, 2017 4:19 pm
Bughu nods. From his position, he takes aim at the nearest kobold to provide cover for Erich's plan.
Apr 24, 2017 5:27 pm
Gripping his wand, Erich mutters a few soft words and points the gnarled wood at the tightest pack of kobolds.

Casting sleep as a second level spell.
1st 4/4 | 2nd 1/2 | 2 SP
22/22 HP | 16 AC | Inspiration 0
OOC:
Post Roll: 32 HP of kobolds, starting with the lowest, get to take a lil nap.
Last edited April 24, 2017 5:27 pm

Rolls

Sleep (2nd Level) - (7d8)

(2253776) = 32

Apr 24, 2017 5:33 pm
All five of the kobolds yawn and quickly fall asleep.
Apr 24, 2017 5:34 pm
Erich smiles at Bughu and gestures forward, ushering the warrior into the room.
Apr 24, 2017 5:39 pm
Bughu looks to Myrio, who has been taking point.
Apr 24, 2017 5:47 pm
OOC:
Mryio didnt enter the cave because he isnt the stealthiest of people.
Apr 24, 2017 5:53 pm
Bughu decides to dispose of the kobolds, quietly, with his scimitar.
Apr 24, 2017 7:20 pm
It only takes a few moments per kobold to end their miserable existence.
Apr 24, 2017 7:40 pm
Bughu goes back to the other cavern and looks over at Myrio. He gestures for the man to join the rest of them.
Apr 24, 2017 8:12 pm
Mryio points to the ceiling and shakes his head.
Apr 24, 2017 8:24 pm
Bughu's hands open wide, wondering what the issue is. He pulls at his own armor, makes a dismissive gesture and points at Myrio, then mimes tip-toes with his fingers.
Apr 24, 2017 8:31 pm
Mryio points to Bughu, mouthing something, then begins to slowly walk forward.
OOC:
Of course.
Last edited April 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Apr 24, 2017 8:44 pm
Bughu gives a thumbs-up without any expression, and heads back to Erich.
Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm
Mryio is able to make his way through the room without startling the bats above.
Apr 24, 2017 9:11 pm
Mryio takes lead again, he walks through the kobold room actively ignoring the dead kobolds. He grabs one of the lasso poles and makes his way down the stairs by the tools, prodding the steps with the pole as he descends to prevent what happened to him previously.
Apr 24, 2017 9:24 pm
Jon pales. Killing a sleeping foe...is this what heroes do? What evils are we allowed to do in the service of righteous goals, and can they be forgotten when the work is done? While contemplating these weighty questions, he looks around a bit to see if the kobolds had any tasty snacks lying about.
Last edited April 24, 2017 9:25 pm
Apr 25, 2017 1:05 pm
Jon finds half of a burnt squirrel among the kobolds possessions.

As Mryio leads the way down the steps, you begin to hear noise from the room at the bottom of the steps. Mryio also finds another collapsing stair trap and manages to avoid it. The first thing you notice in this chamber is a group of 12 kobolds, 6 of those with wings. It doesn't appear that they've noticed you yet, distracted as they are by a pair of dicing kobolds.

Thin mattresses of straw covered with badly cured furs form small beds that are haphazardly positioned around the chamber. Rats and small lizards scurry through the food scraps and moldy wine skins littering the floor. There are a number of oil lamps providing dim light throughout the chamber.

There is another set of stairs leading south-east from this room.
Apr 25, 2017 8:48 pm
Mryio holds up a fist then holds up five fingers, closes them, holds up five fingers again and closes them, then holds up two fingers. He makes his way back up the stairs, keeping his voice low he relays the information to those who didn't follow down the stairs "Counted 12 more of those, half winged half not. I, personally, would rather expend all our options before going down and dealing with them but that is probably just me."
Apr 26, 2017 7:21 pm
OOC:
What are you planning on doing?
Apr 26, 2017 7:27 pm
OOC:
If no one objects, Mryio will do the same thing down the other set of stairs, prodding each one with the pole as he descends.
Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm
The wooden stairs overlooking the ledge in the north are closed by a wooden gate. Do you want to open it?
Apr 26, 2017 7:34 pm
OOC:
Sure, I'll wack it open with the pole if possible.
Apr 26, 2017 11:32 pm
Bughu covers Myrio's advance, eyes on the lookout for any guards or cultists.
Apr 27, 2017 12:55 am
Erich stays close to Bughu, not wanting to bring the wrath of creatures down onto the group.
Apr 27, 2017 2:35 pm
Mryio descends the stairs, torch in hand. As he reaches the bottom, he sees three creatures at the back of the room. They move into the light, revealing them to be some sort of wingless drake. They are about 6 feet long and have very sharp fangs in their mouth. They see that Mryio is not one of their handlers and move to attack.
OOC:
Mryio wins initiative, so he can get out of the area and close the gate without being struck!

Rolls

Mryio Initiative - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Enemy Initiative - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Apr 27, 2017 5:53 pm
OOC:
Were Bughu and Erich not behind me?
Apr 27, 2017 6:09 pm
HypCo says:
OOC:
Were Bughu and Erich not behind me?
OOC:
From the sounds of it, they stayed topside to watch over you as you descended. You can definitely stay to fight if you want to.
Apr 27, 2017 6:12 pm
Bughu is by the gate, hand crossbow ready to fire. He is mindful of the possibility that Myrio will withdraw, so he waits until he cannot stay his hand.
Apr 27, 2017 6:29 pm
Mryio makes his way back up the stairs and shuts the gate behind him "Three large wingless drakes rest in that room, it looked like a dead end."
OOC:
What kind of gate is this? Like, does it have any viewing holes, feeding holes, or holes to stick the lasso pole into?
Apr 27, 2017 6:50 pm
The drakes follow Mryio into the view of everyone, but don't even attempt to pass the gate. The gate is nothing impressive and is easy to see beyond as it only blocks the stairs, not the 10 foot drop to the area where the drakes are kept. There is a wooden bar you can drop across it to better hold it closed.
Apr 27, 2017 6:53 pm
Mryio will pick up two of the five dead kobolds "Let's see how loyal these creatures are." he makes his way back to the gate and tosses the bodies over.
Apr 27, 2017 6:54 pm
Bughu whispers, "So long as they don't alert the others." He looks for passages they have not visited yet.
Apr 28, 2017 2:01 am
The drakes happily, and quickly, consume the kobold bodies. They then stand at the bottom of the cave, waiting patiently for more food.
Apr 28, 2017 4:07 am
"This gives me an idea." Mryio walks over to the pile of kobolds "How badly do we need to get into the room occupied by the twelve faux dragons?"
Apr 28, 2017 4:18 am
"I don't know how these caves are laid out, much less what the cult has decided to put inside," says Bughu. "Our objective is the hatchery; whether or not it is beyond this gate is unknown. What are you planning?"
Apr 28, 2017 5:26 am
Mryio scratches his chin "To show compassion, to who though is to be decided. Just keep your aim true for now; I'll also need one of these legs severed, if one of you can lend your edge." Mryio will carry a kobold body over to the gate and await for a severing to take place.
Apr 28, 2017 12:32 pm
Erich watches with a mix of horror and fascination as the dragons devour the kobolds. He says little, opting instead to watch the magnificent creatures eat.
Apr 28, 2017 4:06 pm
Bughu draws his scimitar and commences with the butchery.
Apr 28, 2017 8:25 pm
"Very well, positions than. I will go into this room and attempt to coax the drakes out with the leg." he pauses and points to Bughu "Bowman, you will cover my descent, in case things don't go as planned." He then points at Erich "Elf, you will stand by the other door and await for the outcome of my mission. If it is a success, you will offer the faux dragons down there to leave peacefully or become food for these hungry drakes; if it is a failure, move in to assist Bowman." He looks at Jon in thought "Small one, bring the rest of the bodies to the opposite side of the Elf then stand behind him; hopefully that is enough to dissuade them to trying to eat you."

Mryio waits for everyone to get into position or finish questions before opening the gate.
Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm
Erich's eyes flit to Bughu quickly before he nods slightly. With a quick step he makes it to the other door.
May 1, 2017 6:14 pm
Bughu readies his hand crossbow.
May 2, 2017 8:59 pm
OOC:
Is the plan to offer the kobold corpses to the drakes as a peace offering?
May 2, 2017 9:31 pm
OOC:
Probably more of a distraction than a peace offering.
Mryio, seeing everyone in their places, nods to Bughu and opens the gate then picks up the kobold leg. He makes his way down the stairs, stopping when he gets half way. He holds the lasso pole forward towards the pit and gauges the drakes reaction.
May 2, 2017 10:48 pm
Seeing the lasso pole, the drakes shy away, not wanting to get close enough to allow you to use it. They stare longingly at the kobold leg while holding themselves back. Now that they are still, you can see that they are covered in scars all over their non-scaled flesh.
May 2, 2017 11:32 pm
Mryio kneels down slowly and places the lasso pole on the stairs then slides it into the pit. He places the leg on the stairs, backs up, and leaves through the gate then gathers up the rest of the kobold's body and holds it up towards the drakes.
Last edited May 4, 2017 9:04 pm
May 4, 2017 7:49 pm
Now that the lasso pole is gone the drakes follow you up the stairs, taking the kobold body and ripping it to pieces to split it up. They begin eating it and seem to be ignoring you.
May 4, 2017 8:12 pm
Bughu backs up warily, wondering when Myrio is going to offer the other kobolds a chance to leave.
May 4, 2017 9:46 pm
Without taking his eyes off the drakes, Mryio turns his head to Erich "Begin the negotiations."
May 8, 2017 2:30 pm
Erich walks into the area he was assigned, and adopts a posturing stance.

Alright look alive you lot. New management around here and we want you lot cleared out. If you don't comply, we're gonna feed you to the drakelings over yonder and we'll laugh while your eyes become snacks for the wyrms, savvy? he says, in loud draconic.

Rolls

Deception? - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

May 8, 2017 9:27 pm
The kobolds look at Erich, confused, then at each other. Nearly as one, they begin to laugh and grab their weapons.
May 10, 2017 1:22 am
Ahh, very well! Erich says, flicking out his hand pointing towards the middle of the crowd. As he does so, he turns and heads back to the group.

Casting sleep as a second level spell.
1st 4/4 | 2nd 0/2 | 2 SP

Rolls

Sleep (2nd level) - (7d8)

(7616814) = 33

May 10, 2017 3:39 am
The kobolds move forward as a group, but half of their number - all of the wingless kobolds - drop to the ground. The remaining kobolds follow Erich, shouting insults at his retreating back.

As Erich joins the rest of the team, the winged kobolds enter your line of sight. They seem surprised to see that you really DO have the drakes with you and also at how many of you there are.

Enemies
Urd is another name for a winged kobold
The closest urds are about 20 feet away as they come up the stairs into view

Urd 1: 7/7, AC 13
Urd 2: 7/7, AC 13
Urd 3: 7/7, AC 13
Urd 4: 7/7, AC 13
Urd 5: 7/7, AC 13
Urd 6: 7/7, AC 13
Kobold 1: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 2: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 3: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 4: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 5: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 6: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
OOC:
You guys win initiative, so feel free to go :)
May 10, 2017 4:17 am
Mryio, seeing the urds come up the stairs with weapons drawn, calls out to them "You had your chance to surrender peacefully, throw down your weapons and run; I will not follow, I give my word. I'll give you a piece of advice; when offered a chance to surrender, take it. Now, I'll leave you with my final words to you...Catch!" He hoists the rest of the kobold's body, making sure the drakes are watching it, and tosses it at the urds.
May 10, 2017 6:51 am
Bughu, sensing that the urds need a little more persuasion, fires two crossbow bolts into the crowd.

Rolls

Hand Crossbow vs Urd1, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (15) + 7 = 22

1d6+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Bonus Action vs Urd2, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (12) + 7 = 19

1d6+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

May 10, 2017 12:33 pm
With a snarl, Erich finishes moving behind his compatriots. Spinning around, he points his pointer finger and pinky at two of the urds that Bughu had not attacked. A twin set of motes streak out toward the creatures.

Casting fire bolt and spending 1 SP to give it the twinned metamagic effect..
1st 4/4 | 2nd 0/2 | 2/3 SP
Last edited May 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Rolls

Fire Bolt 1 - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d10 : (6) = 6

Fire Bolt 2 - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d10 : (8) = 8

May 10, 2017 6:35 pm
OOC:
Does Jon have a clear line of sight for a shortbow attack?
May 11, 2017 1:51 am
BullOctorok says:
OOC:
Does Jon have a clear line of sight for a shortbow attack?
OOC:
Definitely
May 12, 2017 5:37 pm
Jon fires his shortbow into the group of kobolds.

Rolls

Jon shortbow attack - (1d20+3, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (16) + 3 = 19

1d6+1 : (6) + 1 = 7

May 12, 2017 5:54 pm
Round One: Player Turn
Bughu's bolts fly into the group of Urds; his first one takes an urd through the eye and the next one takes a different one in the shoulder.

Erich fires a couple of firebolts. One flies off into the darkness, but the other strikes an urd in the chest and consumes it in flames.

Jon's arrow flies out, striking the rear urd right in the throat. He goes down, blood pouring down his chest as he falls to the ground.

Round One: Urd Turn
The dead kobold lands in the group of the urds and the drakes rush forward toward them. The urds turn and flee back into the chamber they were in before, shouting for help.

Enemies
Urd 1: DEAD
Urd 2: 2/7, AC 13
Urd 3: DEAD
Urd 4: DEAD
Urd 5: 7/7, AC 13
Urd 6: 7/7, AC 13
Kobold 1: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 2: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 3: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 4: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 5: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
Kobold 6: 5/5, AC 12 (Asleep)
May 13, 2017 10:37 am
Mryio follows the drakes and tosses as many urd corpses down the stairs as he can.
May 13, 2017 4:11 pm
Bughu follows Myrio from a distance. When the urds call out, the archer curses and launches another two bolts to silence them.

Rolls

Hand Crossbow vs Urd, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (17) + 7 = 24

Bonus Action vs Urd, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (17) + 7 = 24

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

May 15, 2017 3:57 am
The drakes follow after the urds, but aren't quite able to catch up.

Bughu is able to take out two more and Jon catches the last one with an arrow, dropping it just before it rushes down another tunnel.
OOC:
You win, but there are still six sleeping kobolds here
May 15, 2017 1:32 pm
Erich looks to Bughu and gestures towards the sleeping kobolds, quirking an eyebrow as he draws his thumb over his neck.
May 15, 2017 3:56 pm
Bughu moves to the kobolds, drawing his scimitar to ensure each one gets a lot of rest. He keeps an eye on the direction of the drakes, lest they double back during his task.
May 16, 2017 2:16 am
As you down the final Urds, the drakes move to them and begin eating the corpses.
May 16, 2017 3:31 am
Mryio grabs another lasso pole and makes his way down the stairs. He gestures to the drakes that they're free to go and may leave when they finish their meal. He'll then make his way to the other set of stairs and check for the stair traps with the lasso pole.
May 16, 2017 4:32 pm
Jon still isn't sure he can get used to cutting sleeping throats -- even kobold throats -- but as he watches the drakes consuming the slain urds, he reminds himself that there is always renewal of life in death, after a fashion.
OOC:
Thanks for rolling for me, having a hectic week.
May 16, 2017 10:54 pm
Mryio doesn't see any sign of traps in the eastern stairs. Once he reaches the bottom, he sees that it opens into a large room with a set of stairs going east and a passage going southwest.

This chamber has been enlarged and reshaped from its original form. The floor and three of the walls are smooth, and stalactites and stalagmites have been polished into gleaming columns. Every surface glistens with moisture, and the air is warm and humid. The flat walls of the chamber are decorated with shallow abstract carvings of dragons. Dragons’ tails coil into intricate patterns and
knots that flow across the walls. The creature portrayed in the northwest corner stands out: a five-headed dragon, rising from an erupting volcano. Other dragons, which seem dwarfed by the five-headed monstrosity, flock to its side. A small, wooden chest with silver and mother-of-pearl inlays sits on the floor in the corner, in front of the monstrous dragon carving.

Mryio moves silently, and sees a half-dragon and two large, burly human warriors standing in center of the shrine, about 30 feet from the entrance to the room.

Rolls

Mryio stealth - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

May 16, 2017 11:20 pm
Mryio returns back to the group "There is two more pathways down there and three more creatures, a half-dragon and two large humans. There is also a wooden chest, inlaid with silver and pearl. Could this be where they keep the egg you're looking for?"
May 16, 2017 11:23 pm
Bughu continues walking amongst the sleeping kobolds, silently tendering their "resignations."
May 17, 2017 1:55 am
Erich nods quietly. It would make sense. What's the best approach with the three there. Likely they won't be as terrified of drakes eating them and I don't have the oomph left to drop a large number of people in enchanted sleep.
May 17, 2017 2:41 am
"I will make my presence known and offer them the chance to avoid a confrontation, our previous encounters have left my hopes rather low but it is still something I must do; after that, the course we take is up to them. If anyone needs a pick me up before we begin, I can help."
May 18, 2017 6:22 pm
OOC:
Ready to move on?
May 18, 2017 6:32 pm
Having finished his gruesome task, Bughu rejoins the party. "Is this chest bigger than the halfling?" he whispers, indicating Jon. "Otherwise I doubt it contains what we seek. These cultists have a hatchery, and a chest seems like an odd place to incubate an egg."
May 18, 2017 11:08 pm
"No, from where I saw it, it was small but we don't have much of a choice than to go down there. We only have two paths, the fungus path back near the entrance of the cave or this one. Might as well finish this path before exploring a new one." Mryio whispers back.
May 19, 2017 12:17 am
Bughu nods, ready to proceed.
May 19, 2017 2:46 am
Mryio pulls out a mushroom and eats it "Very well, get ready." He makes his way back down the stairs.

He raises his arm in a wave "Ahoy. Might I interest you lot in a simple chat? Any boy can swing a sword, it takes a man to know when to use it though. Which side do you three fall on?"
OOC:
Lay on Hands to bring me back up to full.
May 19, 2017 4:40 am
Bughu tries to stay back in hiding, readying his longbow to cover Mryio.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

May 19, 2017 3:26 pm
Erich wrings his hands together a bit before sliding his wand out, taking a cue from Bughu and attempting to hide.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

May 19, 2017 8:15 pm
Jon, too, attempts to hide while he readies his shortbow.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

May 21, 2017 11:36 pm
As Mryio descends the stairs, Jon and Erich slip into the shadows. Bughu tries to find a shadowed spot, but ends up kicking a loose pebble down the stairs, alerting the group to his presence.

Ignoring Mryio for the moment, the half-dragon speaks to Bughu, "You're the one who killed Cyanwrath, aren't you? What makes you so foolish as to invade this place?"

They all have hands on their weapon hilts, but don't rush to attack, yet.
May 22, 2017 12:05 am
Bughu knows the half-dragon is talking to him. He tips his head to the approaching Myrio and says, "Ask him."
May 22, 2017 1:21 am
"My employer tasked me to retrieve an egg from this cave, a simple task if the inhabitants just cooperated. I hired my friend here as a safety net of sorts; seeing him dispose of this Cyanwrath, he proved to be someone who would be able to handle himself in the event of stubbornness. Judging by your current posture, you are choosing to walk the path of your brethren; I'd advise you to steer away from that path, do not mistake my kindness as ineptitude to handle a weapon." Mryio draws and places the head of his maul on the ground "Now, you can do this peacefully, no bloodshed, no death, just words... or you can ignore my offer and the two of us will continue to whittle down your numbers until we find someone with half a brain that is willing to think things through."
May 23, 2017 3:40 am
The half-dragon flashes his sharp teeth and laughs, "You come to the sanctum of our most holy Lady and expect to steal part of her budding army with no resistance? You ARE a fool, then, aren't you?" he says mockingly, then rushes toward Mryio to attack.

Rolls

Party Init - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Enemy Init - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

May 23, 2017 4:10 am
Mryio swings his maul just as quickly as the half-dragon runs over to him.

Rolls

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

2d6+3 : (64) + 3 = 13

May 23, 2017 5:06 am
Mindful of the other two individuals in the room, Bughu raises his longbow and sends an arrow at the half-dragon.
OOC:
If the attack hits, Bughu will spend a superiority die and apply Distracting Strike.
[ +- ] Distracting Strike

Rolls

Longbow vs Half Dragon, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d8+3)

1d20+7 : (8) + 7 = 15

1d8+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Distracting Strike Damage (only applicable if the attack hits) - (1d8)

(1) = 1

May 23, 2017 1:36 pm
Seeing the others leap into combat as the half-dragon rushes, them, Erich sends two motes of fire out from his hidden location. One at the half dragon, the other at the furthest other enemy.

Casting fire bolt and spending 1 SP to give it the twinned metamagic effect.
1st 4/4 | 2nd 0/2 | 1/3 SP
OOC:
I think it's at advantage because of being hidden, if not, ignore the second attack rolls on each one. :)
Last edited May 23, 2017 1:36 pm

Rolls

Hidden Firebolt 1 (Half Dragon) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

1d10 : (9) = 9

Hidden Firebolt 2 (Other Guy) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d10 : (3) = 3

Bolt 2 Crit Damage (if Erich does have advantage for being hidden) - (1d10)

(4) = 4

May 23, 2017 3:06 pm
OOC:
I'll grant advantage on both :-)
May 23, 2017 11:35 pm
Jon looses an arrow at the half-dragon from his spot of concealment in the shadows.

Rolls

Shortbow attack (with Advantage, if applicable) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

1d20+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Damage - (1d6+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

May 25, 2017 9:00 pm
Round One: Players
Mryio moves forward and smacks the half-dragon in the chest with his maul. The burly monster barely grunts from the attack, but hisses loudly at the paladin.

Bughu's arrow flies wide and is lost in the darkness in the corner of the room.

Erich's fire bolt splits as it leaves his hand. The first catches the half-dragon in the side, scorching his armor and searing the flesh beneath. The second bolt hits one of the burly human warriors.

Jon fires an arrow, which misses badly and shatters against the wall.

Enemies
Half-Dragon: 35/57, AC 17 (engaged with Mryio)
Berserker 1: 60/67, AC 13
Berserker 2: 67/67, AC 13
OOC:
Enemy round next!
May 25, 2017 9:11 pm
Round One: Enemies
The half-dragon laughs in Mryio's face and slashes at him twice with his greatsword. The first attack hits (22 vs AC. Damage 12)

One of the men moves to attack Mryio, swinging a very large axe at him. He hits the unarmored paladin in the side (CRIT vs AC. Damage 11)

The other man moves to attack Bughu, closing the distance in a flash and swinging his large axe. He clips the archer with his axe, but isn't able to land a solid blow (20 vs AC. Damage 8)

Enemies
Half-Dragon: 35/57, AC 17 (engaged with Mryio) 
Berserker 1: 60/67, AC 13 (engaged with Mryio. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
Berserker 2: 67/67, AC 13 (engaged with Bughu. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
OOC:
Your turn!
May 25, 2017 9:59 pm
Bughu draws his scimitar in a flash, using the impact from the axe to spin around and retaliate with his own attack.

Rolls

Scimitar vs Berserker2, Slashing Damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d6+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Menacing Attack damage (Wisdom Save DC 13 or be frightened) - (1d8)

(3) = 3

May 25, 2017 10:00 pm
OOC:
Don't forget advantage due to him using Reckless Attack!
May 25, 2017 10:01 pm
OOC:
Adding the advantage to this post.

Rolls

Advantage vs Berserker2 - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

May 26, 2017 12:58 am
OOC:
Just realized how trash this character is in this story... at least I kept him true to Mario fashion, he pretty much dies in two hits.
A sudden shield appears around the paladin, deflecting the half-dragons blow but the precision and strength of his other opponent is too great as it sinks through his skin. He continues his assault on the half-dragon.
OOC:
Using my reaction to cast shield. Sadly, I don't think that impacts crits though.

Rolls

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

2d6+3 : (56) + 3 = 14

Inspiration roll - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

May 26, 2017 7:49 pm
OOC:
Jon, Erich?

I don't think Mryio is doing too bad, he just needs a bit more health, which you can help a bit next level. Take the toughness feat and gain 2 HP per level, or increase Con by two points would help as well

If you aren't enjoying the character, let me know and we can work something out to make him more enjoyable or allow you to change altogether :)

I, for one, am enjoying him immensely due to the arguments with Bughu
May 26, 2017 8:00 pm
Once more, a split set of fire streaks out from the darkness, aimed for the half dragon and the man he hit before.

Casting fire bolt and spending 1 SP to give it the twinned metamagic effect. Likely no advantage as I didn't do any stealthy hiding stuff. Pretty sure they know where I am now. :)
1st 4/4 | 2nd 0/2 | 0/3 SP

Rolls

Fire on Halfy - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d10 : (3) = 3

Fire on Other Guy - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d10 : (7) = 7

May 28, 2017 9:17 pm
Round Two: Players
Bughu slashes at the man attacking him, catching him in the arm. Blood sprays down on the stones, but the warrior barely seems to notice. He doesn't seem to be afraid of Bughu in the slightest.

Mryio smashes the half-dragon in the side. You hear a loud crack upon impact and the half-dragon groans in horrible pain, but continues fighting.

Erich's fire bolts go out again. He misses the half-dragon, but hits the berserker again.

Jon sees what trouble Mryio is in and closes in on the half-dragon, stabbing at him with his longsword. His attack misses.

Enemies
Half-Dragon: 21/57, AC 17 (engaged with Mryio and Jon)
Berserker 1: 53/67, AC 13 (engaged with Mryio and Jon. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
Berserker 2: 58/67, AC 13 (engaged with Bughu. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
May 28, 2017 9:21 pm
Round Two: Enemies
The half-dragon lashes out at Mryio with his sword, but the broken ribs hinder his attack and Mryio easily bats the attack aside.

The berserker howls in rage and swings at Mryio, catching him in the hip with his axe (17 vs AC. Damage 9)

The warrior attacking Bughu strikes at him, but misses badly against the much quicker fighter.

Enemies
Half-Dragon: 21/57, AC 17 (engaged with Mryio and Jon)
Berserker 1: 53/67, AC 13 (engaged with Mryio and Jon. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
Berserker 2: 58/67, AC 13 (engaged with Bughu. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
OOC:
Your turn next!
May 28, 2017 11:32 pm
Bughu curses at his disadvantageous position, engaged with the stronger berserker. As if giving up, he drops his scimitar and longbow to the ground, but with his free hands draws his hand crossbow and bolts. Sliding his arms around to guide the berserker's attacks away, Bughu fires twice at the man's legs.

Rolls

Hand Crossbow vs Berserker, Advantage, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (16) + 7 = 23

1d20+7 : (11) + 7 = 18

Bonus Attack vs Berserker, Advantage, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (13) + 7 = 20

May 29, 2017 2:35 am
Another shield shimmer around Mryio, protecting him from the berserker's blow. He stands strong and swings his warhammer, once more at the half-dragon.
OOC:
Using my reaction to cast shield.
Last edited May 29, 2017 2:35 am

Rolls

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

2d6+3 : (53) + 3 = 11

May 30, 2017 12:42 pm
Erich smiles widely, somewhat angry at having missed the half-dragon. Pointing his finger, three tiny darts spin out, streaking unerringly towards his chest.

Casting magic missile.
1st 3/4 | 2nd 0/2 | 0/3 SP

Rolls

Missiles! - (3d4+3)

(333) + 3 = 12

May 30, 2017 6:16 pm
OOC:
I'll give Jon until tonight to post an action before I automate it
May 30, 2017 8:53 pm
Jon has another go at the half-dragon with his longsword, and really puts his back into the swing.

Rolls

Longsword attack vs half-dragon, damage - (1d20+4, 1d8+4)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d8+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

May 30, 2017 10:31 pm
OOC:
The half-dragon is dead, I'm pretty sure.
May 31, 2017 12:06 am
OOC:
Truth! Jon, feel free to roll once more for attack (Advantage against the guy that's still standing)

If you don't get to it, I will in a couple hours.

Rolls

Jon Advantage attack - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

May 31, 2017 2:16 am
Round Three: Players
Bughu fires a pair of bolts, which dig into the mans legs, causing him to curse loudly. Amazingly, he doesn't seem more than inconvenienced as he pulls the bolts out of his leg.

Mryio smashes his maul into the half-dragon once more just as Erich's magical darts strike home, sending the beast to an early grave.

Jon slashes again at the warrior, blade digging deep into a thigh before the man can turn the blow aside. He curses and turns on Jon angrily.

Enemies
Half-Dragon: DEAD
Berserker 1: 42/67, AC 13 (engaged with Mryio and Jon. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
Berserker 2: 47/67, AC 13 (engaged with Bughu. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
May 31, 2017 2:18 am
Round Three: Enemies
As the half-dragon falls, Berserker 1 turns his attention to the halfling who hurt him, swinging at the small target with his axe. Jon barely ducks the blow and gets a little bit of a haircut in the process.

The other man retains his single-minded focus on Bughu, chopping at the agile man with his huge axe. He manages to graze Bughu with his attack (24 vs AC. Damage 4)

Enemies
Berserker 1: 42/67, AC 13 (engaged with Mryio and Jon. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
Berserker 2: 47/67, AC 13 (engaged with Bughu. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
OOC:
Go ahead with your actions for next round
May 31, 2017 2:34 am
Bughu continues his defense against the stronger foe, trying to impact the berserker's mobility even if it doesn't have any noticeable effect. He jabs two more bolts into his opponent's body, aiming for the hips.

Rolls

Hand Crossbow vs Berserker, Advantage, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

1d20+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Bonus Attack vs Berserker, Advantage, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (4) + 7 = 11

1d20+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Superiority Die on Second Attack, Precision Attack - (1d8)

(6) = 6

May 31, 2017 2:39 am
Mryio stands at Jon's side, with a thankful nod he swings his maul at the berserker.
OOC:
19 bludgeoning (if GWF counts for crits)
Last edited May 31, 2017 2:42 am

Rolls

Attack (advantage)/Damage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 2d6+3)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

2d6+3 : (45) + 3 = 12

Crit. - (2d6)

(11) = 2

GWF reroll? - (2d6)

(43) = 7

May 31, 2017 9:09 pm
Erich slings another batch of missiles, this time at the berzerker Bughu's been attacking.

Casting magic missile.
1st 2/4 | 2nd 0/2 | 0/3 SP

Rolls

Missiles! - (3d4+3)

(311) + 3 = 8

Jun 1, 2017 5:25 pm
Round Four: Players
Bughu continues his deadly dance with the berserker, and manages to catch him with a couple more bolts in the thigh. The man begins to limp as he rips these ones out, blood running down both legs now.

As the man staggers, Erich's magical attack catches him off guard and he stumbles and nearly blacks out from the pain. He manages to keep his feet, but is quite wobbly.

Mryio swings his maul powerfully at the warrior attacking Jon, catching him in the ribs with the blow. There are several loud cracks and the man cries out in pain, spinning to face Mryio.

Jon takes advantage of the foe's weakness and cuts deep into the man's thigh (15 vs AC. Damage 8).

Enemies
Berserker 1: 15/67, AC 13 (engaged with Mryio and Jon. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
Berserker 2: 26/67, AC 13 (engaged with Bughu. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
Jun 1, 2017 5:28 pm
Round Four: Enemies
The opponent attacking Bughu breaks off from the battle and begins fleeing down the passage toward the exit (back the way you came from). He makes it out of sight, still limping.

The berserker facing Mryio and Jon takes a wild swing at Mryio, catching him in the side and taking him to the ground (CRIT vs AC. Damage 12)

Enemies
Berserker 1: 7/67, AC 13 (engaged with Mryio and Jon. Reckless Attack: advantage on attacks against him)
Berserker 2: 34/67, AC 13 (running away from Bughu)
Jun 1, 2017 5:56 pm
OOC:
Erich attacked the one that was engaged with Bughu, if I'm not mistaken.

Rolls

Also, death save - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jun 1, 2017 6:34 pm
Reasoning that there's still a threat in the area, Bughu ignores the fleeing enemy and sights along his hand crossbow to fire at the berserker engaged with the others.

Rolls

Hand Crossbow vs Berserker 1, Advantage, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

Bonus Attack vs Berserker 1, Advantage, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (20) + 7 = 27

Piercing Damage, Critical - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jun 1, 2017 8:44 pm
HypCo says:
OOC:
Erich attacked the one that was engaged with Bughu, if I'm not mistaken.
OOC:
Quite right, I will fix that!

EDIT: Fixed!
Jun 5, 2017 3:39 pm
OOC:
The other guy has run off out of range, yes? If I can still see him, I'll firebolt him in the back. Otherwise....
Erich moves down to where Myrio and Bughu are, kneeling by Myrio to see if he can stabilize him at all.

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jun 5, 2017 4:29 pm
Bughu lets the fleeing berserker go and fires a couple of bolts at the one that's still standing. He takes the man in the neck, sending him to the floor.

Erich wastes no time in rushing up to Mryio and works frantically, stabilizing the paladin.
OOC:
Combat over
Jun 5, 2017 5:15 pm
Bughu holsters his hand crossbow and picks up his scimitar, sheathing it at his hip. He retrieves his longbow and nocks an arrow, heads over to Erich, then covers the entrances to the chamber in case the sounds of battle or the fleeing berserker has attracted any attention.
Jun 6, 2017 5:59 pm
Jon leans against the wall, wiping his sword clean, his head full of thoughts that he'd rather weren't there. This business of killing men and near-men touches different places in the soul than slaying monsters.
Jun 7, 2017 7:39 pm
An eerie silence settles over the room. The battle was quite loud, but you hear nothing from anywhere in the cavern complex, like the whole place is in anticipation of what's going to happen next.

There is a set of stairs leading down to the east, the passage you came from to the north, and a dark alcove in the southern part of the chamber.
Jun 7, 2017 7:40 pm
Bughu looks around the chamber. "Can he be moved?" he whispers, referring to Myrio. "We may have to get out of here."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Jun 7, 2017 7:43 pm
Bughu looks and listens, but doesn't notice anything at first. Then he hears a slight scuff of a moving foot from the room at the bottom of the stairs to your east. There's something or someone down there.

Jon's egg-locator gives him the impression that the egg is very close by, likely in an adjacent room.
Jun 7, 2017 7:58 pm
Bughu silently indicates the eastern stairs, trying to warn everyone of the nearby presence. With his longbow leading the way, he tries to silently pad over to the stairs to inspect what's below.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Jun 7, 2017 8:11 pm
Bughu heads into the next room, moving like a shadow down the stairs. The chamber that opens at the bottom of the stairs is immense. A wide ledge runs along the left wall and drops away to a pit on the right. Many stalactites descend from the ceiling, and the sound of dripping water echoes continuously.

There is a set of wooden stairs leading down to the lower level, enclosed by a metal cage with a door at the bottom. Directly across from the stairs on the upper level a key dangles off of a hook in the wall. At the opposite end of the chamber, there is a darkened area.

http://i.imgur.com/UUVy7l5.png
Jun 9, 2017 5:14 pm
Bughu remains by the base of the stairs, trying to stick near the wall. He looks out over the chamber, straining to see any further movement that might indicate someone's presence.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Jun 10, 2017 9:53 pm
From where Bughu stands, he can't see any sign of danger. It is dark in the room, but he thinks he sees a glint of some sort of blue gem from the lower level of the chamber.
Jun 12, 2017 1:02 pm
OOC:
Mryio was stabalized, correct? If so, do you roll for the hours of consciousness or do I?
Jun 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Erich looks Myrio over, trying to figure out a reasonable answer to Bughu's question. Just as he lifts his head to reply, he sees the man has moved on, surveying the next location. Not sure how we're going to deal with this one while we traipse about trying to get this egg. he thinks to himself as he stands up.

Stretching, he awaits Bughu's return so they can proceed.
Jun 12, 2017 1:29 pm
HypCo says:
OOC:
Mryio was stabalized, correct? If so, do you roll for the hours of consciousness or do I?
OOC:
I already rolled it, just didn't provide the info since you won't technically know. It'll be one hour :)
Jun 12, 2017 4:32 pm
Jon tries to peer into the darkened recess ahead, from a safe distance.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Jun 12, 2017 5:32 pm
Jon is unable to see anything more that Bughu could. Both of them are hindered by their lack of nightvision capabilities.
Jun 12, 2017 6:44 pm
Bughu decides to retreat. He heads back up the stairs, pausing a glance at Jon to silently signal his return to Erich and Myrio.

"There was something moving down there," says Bughu. "Too dark to see inside, but I don't like it. If they were part of this cult, they're probably waiting to ambush us. I'd rather not take the chance with Sleeping Beauty here. We should find a place to hide while we wait for him to wake up."
OOC:
We can try heading back outside and finding somewhere to lay low.
Jun 15, 2017 12:22 am
OOC:
What's your plan at this point?
Jun 15, 2017 12:32 am
OOC:
Bughu suggests finding somewhere to hide. Lugging around an unconscious body is not viable right now, so it's better to retreat.
Jun 15, 2017 12:42 pm
Hiding sounds good, at least until Myrio can move on his own. We could move him, but I'm not sure the lasting damage it could cause. Erich says quietly.
Jun 17, 2017 12:57 am
Making your way back toward the entrance and find a dark alcove to hide in. About an hour or so later, Mryio stirs and opens his eyes with a groan.
Jun 19, 2017 6:48 am
Bughu briefly diverts his attention from the caverns beyond to check on the status of Myrio and the attentions of Erich and Jon. However, he remains by his watchpost, unwilling to physically abandon his duties just to satisfy his curiosity.
Jun 19, 2017 7:23 am
Mryio holds his head as he stirs awake and sits up. He lets out another groan as he stands up and makes his way over to Bughu "I have let the group down and fallen in battle, jeopardized the mission at hand...for that, I apologize. In thanks for not leaving me to my demise, for this task and this task alone, I will put aside my beliefs and follow your plans."
Jun 19, 2017 7:44 am
Bughu shushes Myrio before he can get far in his speech. "Save your breath," he hisses quietly, valuing the silence. "We're deep in enemy territory and they are probably searching for us. Can you still fight?"
OOC:
Bughu would have used Second Wind before the short rest, and spent a hit die or two during.

Now back to full health, 31/31 HP
Last edited June 19, 2017 7:46 am

Rolls

Second Wind - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Hit Die - (1d10+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Jun 19, 2017 7:50 am
OOC:
Mryio wasn't yelling, he is very aware of the situation and the need for silence.
He retrieves two mushrooms from his pouch and eats them, some of his wounds close instantly while some of the deeper ones remain, then he nods to Bughu's question.
Jun 19, 2017 12:12 pm
As you are whispering amongst yourselves, you hear the scuff on approaching boots on stone. From the amount of noise, you'd guess there are 6-8 creatures approaching.
Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm
Mryio readies his weapon, knowing he isn't the stealthiest, and sinks down.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Jun 19, 2017 1:06 pm
Erich stands, wand at the ready, trying to duck into whatever hidden place he can find.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jun 19, 2017 3:48 pm
Bughu attempts to hide in his shadow, longbow ready.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Jun 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Jon scrambles for a place to hide.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Jun 21, 2017 2:10 am
You all remain quiet and the footsteps pass you by. As they do so, you see two humans leading a group of five kobolds.
Jun 21, 2017 2:39 am
Bughu tries to see what type of garb the humans wear, if it is recognizable as cultists or soldiers.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Jun 22, 2017 1:33 am
The humans appear to be soldier types. They wear no insignia and aren't dressed the same as the cultists you've seen thus far.
Jun 22, 2017 5:04 pm
Bughu remains where he is, waiting for the soldiers and kobolds to pass.
Jun 23, 2017 5:19 am
Mryio mimics Bughu and stays silent and ready.
Jun 23, 2017 1:08 pm
The group passes by after several moments, headed toward the exit to the complex. The way back to where you were seems clear from where you're standing.
Jun 23, 2017 4:21 pm
"Let's return to where we left off," says Bughu. "Though take care; they will have likely reset any traps and doubled the guard."

He begins to make his way back to the altar and chest, intent on the dark and still chamber beyond.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Jun 28, 2017 2:21 am
The group is able to make it back to the altar room relatively quietly. It appears that the group that was waiting in ambush in the next room assume you must have fled, because they are now standing openly in that room. It is a small group of kobolds, totaling six in number.
Jun 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Erich points a finger and utters a few quick words, now familiar to his friends, attempting to put as many of the kobolds to sleep as possible.

Casting sleep.
1st 2/4 | 2nd 0/2 | 0/3 SP

Rolls

Sleep HP affected - (5d8)

(43287) = 24

Jun 28, 2017 4:17 pm
Thankful that his precautionary withdrawal was not in vain, Bughu prepares his longbow as Erich finishes the drowsy incantation.
Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm
As the magic washes over the group of kobolds, four of them drop to the floor, snoring loudly. The others immediately come alert and pull out slings and look for intruders. They spot you just as you begin to react.
OOC:
You win initiative, so you go first!
Jun 28, 2017 4:29 pm
Battle commencing, Bughu fires at one of the standing kobolds.

Rolls

Longbow vs Kobold, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d8+3)

1d8+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

Jun 28, 2017 7:17 pm
Jon will practice his marksmanship against the other one.

Rolls

Shortbow vs kobold - (1d20+3, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

1d6+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

Jun 29, 2017 4:37 pm
OOC:
Anyone else?
Jun 29, 2017 4:51 pm
OOC:
Mryio will hold his action, in case a kobold comes into melee.
Jun 29, 2017 7:07 pm
OOC:
Not sure if Erich gets another go since he slept them....if so, FIREBOLT on the one Jon attacked
Erich points and a mote of fire streaks toward's Jon's target.

Rolls

Fire Bolt! - (1d20+5, 1d10)

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

1d10 : (2) = 2

Jun 30, 2017 12:27 pm
Bughu's arrow takes one kobold in the throat, killing it.

Jon's arrow misses by a wide margin and sails into the darkness.

Erich's bolt of fire strikes the remaining kobold as it tries to leap away, scorching it slightly but leaving it alive.
Jun 30, 2017 12:28 pm
The kobold disappears into the darkness, but is very loud doing so and you can track him by the noise he's making.
OOC:
Your turn!
Jun 30, 2017 3:42 pm
Bughu moves further in, nocking another arrow and training the tip in the direction of the kobold. Trying to predict where the kobold is heading based on sound alone, Bughu fires into the black.

Rolls

Longbow vs Kobold, Disadvantage, Piercing Damage - (1d20+7, 1d20+7, 1d8+3)

1d20+7 : (19) + 7 = 26

1d20+7 : (12) + 7 = 19

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Jun 30, 2017 4:23 pm
Bughu takes a shot at where he thinks the kobold is and hears a thunk as he connects. There's a thump as a body falls to the floor in the darkness.
Jun 30, 2017 4:50 pm
Bughu looks at the sleeping kobolds and draws his scimitar. "Do we need any of them alive for questioning?" he whispers. "I know Erich speaks their language, but I don't know if they're fanatical enough to not give us any practical information." Bughu remembers how the interrogation with Langedrosa went.
Jun 30, 2017 5:22 pm
Erich walks over to one of the kobolds, looks at Bughu, then back at the kobold before pointing a finger in its face. A mote of fire catches it full in the face, roasting it to death.
Last edited June 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Rolls

Fire Bolt (advantage from them asleep) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

Fire Bolt Damage (autocrit from asleep) - (2d10)

(92) = 11

Jun 30, 2017 5:34 pm
Mryio, who looks visibly uncomfortable about dispatching them instead of asking question, makes his way over the the chest and looks it over.
Jun 30, 2017 6:03 pm
You are able to easily kill any of the sleeping kobolds.

The chest appears to be locked at the moment, but looks quite valuable on its own.

Description of the room from before!
Jun 30, 2017 6:12 pm
Bughu scouts into the dark chamber where he initially investigated. "Erich, give me a Light on this arrow," he asks, holding one of his out to the half-elf. Bughu will hold the arrow like a torch.
Jun 30, 2017 6:27 pm
Now that Bughu can see into the chamber, he sees that the kobolds must have initially hidden inside of a small alcove at the east end of the chamber, but come out when the party fled.

The door to the stairs is locked, but there's a door on the north wall. You can't see all of what the lower level contains with your meager light.
Jul 2, 2017 12:50 pm
It is silent in the chamber, and the key on the wall catches the light of Bughu's makeshift torch, its metal finish glimmering in the darkened room.
Jul 2, 2017 7:36 pm
Bughu points the key out to the others, then directs their attention to the gate. He moves closer to the lower level to allow the light further in. Should the gate bar their progress, Bughu fires the arrow into the darkened room.
Jul 2, 2017 7:53 pm
Mryio retrieves the key and tries it on the chest.
Jul 2, 2017 7:57 pm
The key does not fit in the chest. By the looks of it, it's meant for the gate leading down to the lower level.

The light of Bughu's arrow reveals five large eggs sitting in the center of the bottom section of the chamber.
Jul 2, 2017 8:11 pm
Mryio offers up the key to Erich or Jon to take over to the door.
OOC:
How heavy is this chest?
Jul 2, 2017 8:36 pm
HypCo says:
Mryio offers up the key to Erich or Jon to take over to the door.
OOC:
How heavy is this chest?
OOC:
Probably about 50 lbs or so
Jul 2, 2017 8:57 pm
OOC:
Gotcha, in that case...
Mryio hoists up his maul and attempts to smash the lock.
Jul 2, 2017 9:10 pm
Bughu tries to silently signal Jon over and see if the halfling can determine which egg is their quarry. He nocks another arrow in the meantime.
Jul 3, 2017 12:06 am
Erich takes the key and moves to the door. When you lot are ready, let me know.
Jul 5, 2017 1:37 pm
Jon moves up to the edge of the dropoff into the lower level and pulls out the gem he was given to help locate the egg. It glows with a fierce light and he nods, "It's definitely down there."
Jul 5, 2017 4:18 pm
Bughu nods to Erich. From the edge of the dropoff, he draws his bow and takes up a watchful position as the gate is unlocked and opened.
Jul 5, 2017 6:35 pm
Erich slides the key into the lock and slowly turns it. If the lock opens, he'll push the door open as well.
Jul 6, 2017 7:59 pm
The door opens with a loud creak, opening the path to the dragon eggs. Jon leads the way, moving amongst the eggs to find which one is the correct one. He stops at a deep blue egg, about two feet high, "It's this one. Just gotta get it outta here and take it back to where we met her before."
Jul 6, 2017 8:06 pm
Bughu stashes his bow and moves down to try and pick up the egg. "Let's go, back out the way we came."
Jul 6, 2017 8:10 pm
The egg is surprisingly heavy, but Bughu manages to pick it up and you begin making your way out of the cave as quietly as possible. There are a couple of times where you have to duck into a dark alcove to hide from patrols, but you finally make it outside.
OOC:
Them was some lucky rolls
Jul 6, 2017 8:13 pm
OOC:
What was the result of Myrio's attempt at picking the lock with his maul?
Jul 6, 2017 8:15 pm
OOC:
Did nothing happen with the chest? Already been asked.
Last edited July 6, 2017 8:16 pm
Jul 6, 2017 8:42 pm
OOC:
Oh wow... I answered a similar question in a different game and assumed that this was done as well. My apologies!
Mryio shatters the front of the chest with his maul, revealing the contents. Inside are a string of pearls, a gold-and-sapphire ring , and a pouch containing a half-dozen masterfully cut and polished precious stones.
Jul 6, 2017 9:03 pm
OOC:
No worries, you're only running like a billion games.
Mryio pockets the chests contents and rejoins the party. If asked about the chest, he'll say there was valuables in it and they can delve into it's worth when they are out of the cave.
Jul 6, 2017 10:42 pm
Bughu sees if Myrio can assist him in carrying the large and heavy egg in turns. "Jon, lead us back to the rendezvous point," he asks of the halfling. "The sooner we get this off our hands, the better."
Jul 6, 2017 11:06 pm
Mryio assists Bughu with carrying the egg whenever needed.
Jul 7, 2017 12:35 pm
Jon holds his sword in one hand as he leads the way out, using Bughu's glowing arrow as a makeshift torch. You make it outside with no confrontation, thankfully.
Jul 7, 2017 4:17 pm
Bughu remembers that we were to hold Lennithon's gem high when arriving at the meeting place. Hopefully it will not have to be held aloft for too long.

He helps to set the egg down, then takes watch with his bow for anything that might show interest in their group.
Jul 7, 2017 4:29 pm
As you arrive at the appointed meeting place once more, you place the egg on the ground in a safe place. Jon raises the gem above his head, which begins to pulse with an inner light.

After several minutes of holding the gem aloft, you hear a voice behind you, "You are as skilled as I had hoped. You have my thanks for retrieving my egg."

You turn around to see Lennithon in her humanoid form approaching the egg, which she lifts with no trouble when she reaches it.
Jul 11, 2017 4:20 pm
"Dragon got your tongue?" Lennithon asks with a raised eyebrow.
Jul 11, 2017 5:09 pm
Bughu, rarely one to speak eloquently, just says, "You're welcome." His arms hold his bow and nocked arrow, but pointed downward and relaxed. After all, it is very difficult to draw and fire when tensed.
Jul 11, 2017 5:21 pm
Erich swallows slightly as he steps forward. He opens his mouth, and address Lennithon in a harsh, hissing language.
[ +- ] Draconic
He finishes with a short bow at the waist.
Last edited July 11, 2017 5:21 pm
Jul 11, 2017 5:42 pm
Lennithon stares at Erich for a moment, her face totally blank. Then a small smile shows at the corner of her mouth, "I will uphold my end of the bargain, unless I receive a direct order from Lady Tiamat herself. Is that satisfactory?"
Jul 13, 2017 2:46 pm
OOC:
Mryio doesn't know of this bargain and, after not being left to die, feels it's best to keep quiet.
Jul 13, 2017 3:22 pm
Erich looks to Jon. You were the one initially striking the bargain. What say you?
Jul 13, 2017 4:29 pm
Bughu simply nods. He is uncomfortable being so close to this woman, though he does his best not to show it, and would rather their business end.
Jul 14, 2017 1:31 pm
Lennithon nods and turn away with her egg. Once she's out of sight, you are finally able to breathe again.

Timeline of the game
[ +- ] Day Three (before you left)
Jul 14, 2017 4:39 pm
Bughu turns to the others. "Should we destroy the other eggs? It might deliver a fatal blow to this cult."
Jul 15, 2017 12:33 am
OOC:
Jon would have stammered an awkward you're-welcome and accepted that there would have to be a Tiamat termination clause in any bargain from the lady dragon.
Jul 15, 2017 12:34 am
"Destroy the other eggs? I...I suppose. After going to all that trouble to retrieve that one, though, it...it sits uneasy with me."
Jul 15, 2017 12:54 am
Bughu asks, "More than the thought of these eggs hatching as soldiers for those fanatics?"

He shrugs. "I admit, I only thought of it now. It would have been best while we were already there, but..." He coughs. "I was too... focused, I guess, on the task."
Last edited July 15, 2017 12:57 am
Jul 17, 2017 1:13 pm
OOC:
Have you yet reached a consensus on your next course of action?
Jul 17, 2017 3:52 pm
OOC:
Bughu wants to go back in and destroy the rest of the eggs. If he is outvoted, he will opt to proceed with the other part of the plan and travel to Elturel.
Jul 17, 2017 9:19 pm
OOC:
While Mryio agrees it'd be the smart thing to do, he'd argue that it's too risky; ultimately though he'd follow the rest.
Jul 19, 2017 7:40 pm
OOC:
I'm going to take Mryio's vote as a no and say that you decide to move on from here

In that case, you can advance to level 4!

Do you want to head back to Greenest for the night and head out in the morning or go right toward Elturel?
Jul 19, 2017 8:02 pm
Bughu nods, understanding the risk in going back into the caves and is not disappointed in the decision to press on. "Let's head back to Greenrest," he says. "We need to tell them that most of the cult have moved on. We can also rest and recover before going to Elturel."
Jul 19, 2017 9:01 pm
A bed would be a welcome sight, that's for sure. Erich says, rubbing his neck, suddenly hit with the weariness of what they'd accomplished that day.
Jul 20, 2017 12:20 am
OOC:
Jon is quite ready for dinner and a good night's sleep.
Jul 20, 2017 2:52 am
Mryio follows in complete silence, upon arriving at Greenest, he immediately seeks a bed and falls asleep the second his head hits the pillow.
Jul 21, 2017 3:11 pm
You make it back to Greenest, only to find that most everyone is already asleep, but for some guards. The wreckage of the town is beginning to look much better; it appears that the folk were busy getting everything cleaned up while you were gone. A sleepy guard leads you to your rooms and leaves you alone for the night.

You wake up early in the morning and find Nighthill and Escobert in the same room which you met them in last time, "Ahh, the heroes of Greenest!" Escobert greets you when you enter, "Glad to see that yer back. How was yer little mission?"

Nighthill is still eating when you enter and he raises a glass of water in greeting and smiles, "Welcome back!"
Jul 21, 2017 3:18 pm
It seems to have gone well. However, there's another thing we need to depart for today. The rest was very welcome. Erich says, sleepily rubbing his eyes.
Jul 21, 2017 4:42 pm
"Much of the cult has moved on," Bughu states, looking for a map of the area. "Where, I don't know. They were gone when we arrived, save for a few mercenaries. Hopefully this means that Greenrest will be safe for the time being.

"Their camp is located here,"
he continues, pointing to a spot on the map. "They have tunnels in a cave system at the base of the cliff. Within we discovered a hatchery of dragon eggs. We were unable to destroy them, unfortunately. Perhaps a more sizeable force can succeed."
Jul 24, 2017 2:01 pm
"A clutch of dragon eggs?" Escobert mutters, shaking his hairy head, "That doesn't bode well for us..."

"We'll send a runner to the nearest large city to see if they can send a force to clean it up," Nighthill says, sighing, "Hopefully they can get there quickly, before they hatch or decide to move on."

"Also, Leosin purchased each of you a horse and supplies while you were away," Nighthill says, just remembering that detail, "So your trip should be much hastened."
Jul 24, 2017 4:45 pm
Bughu nods, and waits for any other questions or comments. Otherwise, he prepares for the journey to Elturel.
Jul 25, 2017 1:35 am
Mryio uses his lasso pole as he steps forward for the floor "The person in charge of this operation, for what I was told, is a lady in purple. We didn't see any person matching her description but it would be good to keep a eye out for her if you find a group to clean up the eggs." He steps back and gets more horse-riding appropriate.
Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm
"We will let the leader of whatever force they send know about that. Thank you for the information. I believe Leosin is expecting you, so you may want to get on the road," Nighthill says.

They all say their farewells and you leave town to the cheers of the common folk.
OOC:
There will be a new thread opened tonight. Feel free to RP anything you may want to finish up in here
Jul 26, 2017 7:28 pm
Bughu secures the supplies to his horse, trying his best to manage the beast. Before his departure, he asks if there is ammunition to spare: 4 arrows and 8 bolts.
Jul 26, 2017 7:33 pm
OOC:
As much ammo as you need is available to you
Jul 26, 2017 9:03 pm
OOC:
Jon will restock on arrows and rations and try to squeeze in a nap before the next adventure begins.
Jul 26, 2017 10:36 pm
As Mryio waits for the others to restock, he practices with his new staff to get a better feel for it.

Thread locked