The Strangling Sea: Chapter 1

May 17, 2015 3:17 am
On the SouthEast edges of the Wild Wood lies an area where the High Druid's desire for nature's reign is fulfilled. At least, it was until a horde of derro, whose bodies have been merged with steel in an unnatural manner, emerged from the earth and began laying waste to the area.

The High Druid sent an envoy to Feras, the local druid in charge, inquiring as to why he had thus far been unable to drive off the attackers. His answer was filled with frustration and exasperation, and he was given a command: find Inigo Sharpe. He asked, "How can I find a man who is dead?" The answer given was, "Nyíl Íj." Those were the last words spoken to Feras before the envoy departed.

A flock of birds was soon released in all directions with instructions to find Nyíl and entreat her assistance. She was to gather a party who would be capable of an impossible task and to present themselves before Feras as soon as possible.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/WildWood.jpg

[OOC: We're going to start this off with a travel montage - I will randomly select the order and each will each narrate how they dealt with something encountered during their travel. They will then present a problem for the next person in line to deal with. No dice rolls are necessary - just explain how you dealt with the situation.

Here's the order:
1. Inidrill
2. Nyil Ij
3. Jeremiah
4. Blackstar

So, Inidrill, you (and the rest of the party if you are traveling together) encountered a group of Orc raiders in the midst of their plundering a small village. Narrate how they were dealt with.

When each of you have a chance to deal with a situation, you will arrive at Feras' location and be ushered to him.

I also need each of you to roll for your Icon Relationships - it's a d6 per point you have. When you roll, please indicate which Icon you're rolling for. Eg, if you have a 2pt relationship with the Prince of Shadows, you'd roll 2d6 and put 'Prince of Shadows' in the Reason box.]
May 17, 2015 3:59 am
Here are Nyíl's icon relationship rolls.

OOC: Nyíl is a human female.
Last edited May 17, 2015 4:02 am

Rolls

Icon Relationship [Positive/High Druid] - (2d6)

(35) = 8

Icon Relationship [Negative/Crusader] - (1d6)

(1) = 1

May 17, 2015 5:22 am
[OOC: Here are Blackstar's Icon Relationship rolls]

Rolls

Icon Relationship [Diabolist: negative] - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Icon Relationship [Archmage: positive] - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Icon Relationship [Great Gold Wyrm: conflicted] - (1d6)

(5) = 5

May 17, 2015 6:33 am
Coming over the rise of a small hill Inidrill sees the smoke rising from the village first, then hears the cries of the children and wives lamenting their fate. She spurs her horse onward as fast as it can go, seemingly heedless of the danger of loose rocks or raised roots along the road. Boldly she rode into the village green where the civilized people were gathered either to be slaughtered or divided up as trophy or slave. Inidrill presented herself to the leader of the war band and offered blessings and healing to the orcs, if she could also treat the villagers. Her offers where at first met with sly derision, but she persisted. Being an elf, and hated by the savage orcs she was offered a place in the leaders harem. Politely she refused, but spun the conversation to a the philosophical debate of Right to Rule. (Though debate might me a more colorful word than others would use.) It was decided that the strongest had the right to rule for as long as they are able, then the stronger person should take over. The orc leader was not prepared for the challenge to come from the elf, but he did so valiantly. It was a hard fought battle, but Inidrill claimed victory. A few of the prouder orc warriors could not accept the elf's victory and a fight broke out. With the help of her companions she drove the rest back k into the wilds.
Last edited May 17, 2015 7:02 am

Rolls

Relationship High Priestess conflicted - (2d6)

(63) = 9

Elf Queen - (1d6)

(6) = 6

May 17, 2015 12:25 pm
[OOC: Great resolution! Now you need to present Nyil with a problem for her to overcome.]
May 17, 2015 2:08 pm
((Encounter: A small valley can be seen. It opens some ways off the road. It is filled with a lush verdant forest. In the distance a tall, crooked, windowless tower juts out above the trees. It doesn't look inhabitable, but a young woman appears on the roof waving a bed sheet as though asking for help.))

((Also forgot one of my Icon rolls last night. Included below))
Last edited May 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Rolls

Crusader relatiinship rl - (1d6)

(6) = 6

May 18, 2015 3:20 am
These are Jeremiah's relationship dice rolls.

Rolls

Icon Relationship Roll - Dwarf King 2, Conflicted - (2d6)

(22) = 4

Icon Relationship Roll - Orc Lord 1, Negative - (1d6)

(2) = 2

May 18, 2015 3:49 am
Nyíl slowly works her way through the trees as she heads in the direction of the strange tower. "I'll have to apologize to Feras and the others for being late, but a sight such as this needs to be investigated", she murmurs to herself as she tries to rationalize letting her curiosity get the better of her. Eventually the forest gives way to what appears to be a perfectly circular clearing, perhaps 50 feet in diameter, with the crooked tower directly at the center. As she breaks from the cover of the forest and enters the clearing she is greeted from above.

"Careful, friend, do not get too close to the tower or you'll end up trapped up here as well!"

Nyíl takes a few steps back towards the edge of the clearing as a puzzled look crosses her face, "How did you get up there in the first place?"

"I'm not quite sure. I was collecting mushrooms in the forest when I happened upon this clearing. As I approached the tower there was a bright flash of light and I was knocked out. When I awoke, I found myself on top of this tower. Please help me!"

Nyíl has the women direct her to the last location she remembers being on the ground before ending up on the tower. Once there, she picks up a small stone and tosses it gently towards the tower. A bright light flashes as the rock hits the tower and as she shields her eyes she hears the woman above let out a yelp as the stone bounces off of her head.

"Sorry about that", Nyíl apologizes as she reaches into her pack and pulls out a rope, "but I think I might have a way to get you down." Holding on to the end, she tosses the rope towards the tower and as it uncoils and hits its mark, the bright light once again appears. The trapped women, realizing what Nyíl is trying to do, finds the other end of rope dangling just in front of her, suspended from what appears to be a hole in the sky, perhaps 10 feet above. She quickly grabs her end of the rope and ties it around her waist and then yells down to Nyíl that she's ready.

Pulling with all of her might, Nyíl watches as the women is pulled into the hole above her head, closing behind her as she is completely pulled through. Struggling against the loose ground, Nyíl digs in the best she can and continues pulling as she backs away from the tower. Suddenly, with a bright flash of light, the now rescued women comes crashing through the bottom of the tower and lands unceremoniously on the ground.

As both women pick themselves up and brush themselves off the rescued women approaches Nyíl. "I don't have much to offer in way of thanks, but please take these. They're the best the forest has to offer", and hands Nyíl a small bag of mushrooms. The two finish exchanging pleasantries before Nyíl excuses herself in order to continue on with her trip.

Encounter: As Jeremiah is working his way along a forest trail he feels a slight tug from behind. Turning around he sees a small humanoid creature, maybe two feet in height scurrying away with one of his possessions.
May 18, 2015 6:08 am
Jeremiah felt his person lighten, and as he turned he found a creature almost his height, carrying off his bag of gold. "Thief!" he cried. He pulled out one of his daggers and threw it at the critter. The strike didn't kill it, but the blade did wound the culprit. After an hour of running through the woods, he lost the thief... but as the cretin was bleeding rather profusely at this point, he was able to follow it to its hideout. It was all too familiar to him: a goblin warren, smaller than what he used to deal with, but serviceable for a decent-sized tribe of goblins.

He knew that rushing in was suicidal even with friends at his side, so he decided to sneak into it, find his gold, kill the nutter that took his stuff, and get out. There were a few close calls here and there, but the plan was going quite well. Too well, in fact. Things are going to get real bad real soon, he thought to himself, as he reached for his pouch that was lying next to the wounded goblin that was being bandaged by its companion. True enough, he found himself running for dear life as around twelve well-armed goblins chased him down.

"Three out of four ain't so bad!" he shouted at himself as arrows, bullets, and spears rained down on him, both from the goblins that were chasing him, and the Platinum Rangers that were on patrol along the main road.

"Are you alright, gnome?" asked one of the rangers. "We almost mistook you for being one of them; what IS that on your shield anyway?"

"Oh this little thing?" he replied. "That's just the troll that terrorized my village years before. Slayed him I did!"

The rangers who didn't snicker rolled their eyes and said under their breath, "Sure you did." The ranger who spoke to Jeremiah continued. "So, where are you headed?"

Jeremiah responded. "Me? I'm looking for someone who still owes me a drink at the First Pawn. Or three, given how it's been more than a month since I last met her. Which reminds me, I need to go now." Before they could continue with their questions, he left. As he was walking away, he said "Thanks for scaring off those goblins by the way!"

[ OOC: He did pick up the dagger he threw during the chase. Also, Blackstar wakes up in a cage that seems to be one of several freak show attractions of a traveling circus. ]
May 19, 2015 1:43 pm
Blackstar awoke in an iron cage on board a ship sailing to Drakkenhall. His captors presented themselves as a travelling circus but in truth The Broken Spider was a slaver ship. Blackstar laughed silently to himself. Ironically he had intended to head east before this turn of events. He'd received, via raven, an invitation from Nyíl Íj, a ranger he had met some time ago, to meet her on the southeast edge of the Wild Wood. He had been preparing to set out from Glitterhaegen when he was set upon by the slavers.

In another cage nearby was a centaur who called himself Ixion. Blackstar and the centaur had had a whispered conversation the night before, hatching an escape plan. Busting out of their cages would be the easy part. Overcoming their captors might prove a challenge, but getting safely to shore was the dilemma. Seeing that Blackstar was awake, Ixion scanned the horizon and with a flash in his eyes, murmured, "I have begun gathering the storm. It will descend upon us within the half-hour. Unleash your chaos now. We will be free of this ship today, one way or another." The centaur was a storm druid. And Blackstar? Well, Blackstar was something these fools had never seen before!

Blackstar cackled to himself as the slavemaster walked past his cage. In the ringleader's belt were two weapons: a jagged shard of titanium-alloy that belonged to Blackstar, and Ixion's shell khopesh, an odd, curved weapon with a blade made of the husk of some ancient animal. That was another thing: Blackstar would be loathe to leave his weapon behind. Thankfully his captors had ignored the rest of his gear, hidden away in pockets in his suit. They'd even ignored the rubber hose lashed with elastic cord to his back, mistaking those for two of his tentacles.

Those tentacles began to lash at the cage now, and the mage began to tremble as the chaos magic overtook him. His eyes shot up in his head and a low moan escaped his lips. Meanwhile, the sky began to darken and a sudden wind lashed the sails about. Lightning flashed. The slaver crew rushed about the deck to get their vessel in order but couldn't stop staring at their two strange captives. There was a moment of deafening silence before Blackstar's eyes came back into focus and chaos erupted on the ship. Suddenly there were rats everywhere. Rats pouring out of crates and barrels and every tiny crack in the ship's planking. Rats in crewmen's clothes, and dropping from the masts to swarm knee-deep on the deck. The crew flailed about and yelled at each other, only to find they were speaking in the tongues of wild animals. Chirps and squeaks, roars, barking, hissing and bellowing echoed across the now churning water. Still cackling gleefully, Blackstar flung out his hands and purple flames rippled across the deck, singeing crewman and rats alike. The tormented crewmen then began unwillingly teleporting all over the ship, switching places, appearing upside-down in the air to crash onto the deck or into the water. Unexpectedly, the chaos mage & the druid got switched in their cages as well, before being teleported quite randomly into the captain's cabin where the slavemaster was cowering under a table. The centaur smashed the table with his hooves, and Blackstar used his tentacles to flip the gibbering slaver on his back and retrieve their weapons. They charged onto the deck and jumped over the side into the water just before the druid's lightning tore The Broken Spider apart.

It was a few hours and near dark before Blackstar clambered onto the shore near Shark's Tooth just north of the Wild Wood. Of his new friend or his foes there wasn't a sign. He searched the shore but only found bits of wood from the slaver ship. Other than a few crabs and water birds there was not a living thing on the surface of the water or on the shore. Blackstar began to make his way inland. Perhaps he could still catch Nyíl Íj at the appointed meeting place.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OsFMC68ud5c/T5b_CS8g4JI/AAAAAAABWVY/kP-o2J545TY/s320/tumblr_lzn376mcY11r0hgato1_500.jpg
Last edited May 20, 2015 2:36 am
May 21, 2015 1:50 am
As soon as you all arrive, you are ushered before Feras. After a customary greeting and welcome meal, Feras ordered the room cleared. The echoes of the doors being closed had barely been silenced when he collapsed into a chair, buried his face in his hands, and began weeping.

After a few awkward moments, he gathered himself and began pacing before the fireplace, "I don't know what to do. Several weeks ago abominations of nature appeared in the form of derros. And while we have upstanding treaties with the local derros, these are not like those we know! These have been somehow merged with steel, and they are laying waste to the entire land! We've managed to capture a few of them, but instead of behaving as one would expect, they are mad! They rave on and on about the Unseen Master demanding the 'Above be like Below' or something like that."

Feras stopped his pacing and looked at you, "The High Druid has commanded me to deal with the situation, but it's hopeless. Utterly hopeless! The only person I have ever met or heard of who might know how to stop these mad creatures was a man named Inigo Sharpe. But reliable witnesses reported Orcs having killed him several years ago! And while the High Druid knows this, she wants me to find him! She named you, Nyil, as being one who could do the impossible. Will you and those with you help? Will you somehow find Inigo and bring him here?"

[OOC: Great montage everyone, and thank you for your Icon Relationship rolls. In case you aren't aware of how those are used, each 5 and 6 rolled allows you to gain a benefit of some sort that reflects your relationship with that Icon. A 6 is a nice, clean benefit - no strings attached, and while you still get a benefit with a 5, there will be some sort of catch to it....which might be immediate or it might be delayed. You are free to use those 5s and 6s at any time - you'll just need to explain what the benefit is, how you're gaining it, and why it's applicable. I will also be keeping track of them and may use them if I see a good opportunity to do so.]
May 21, 2015 3:52 am
"The High Druid thinks much of herself indeed. Simply commanding that the dead be returned to the realm of the living as though anyone can do it! Bah...it is an affront to the gods." Inidrill pauses and looks contemplative, "However...if it were possible it would be a deed that would right one's name in annals of leglend or time immemorial. Nyil, if this is a task you believe achievable, in even the smallest of chances, I will ride by your side through the very gates of Tarturas to see it done. This I swear."
May 21, 2015 10:13 pm
Nyíl leans back a bit in her chair as she contemplates what Feras is asking of her. How was she supposed find a dead man? Why would the High Druid even think that such a thing was possible?

As Nyíl leans forward to speak, Inidrill breaks the silence and offers her assistance. Responding with an appreciative nod Nyíl stands and addresses the gathering.

"If the High Druid believes that this Inigo Sharpe can be found then I believe it as well. If he is indeed alive, we will find him and bring him here. If he is dead, we will find him, and do whatever is necessary to learn his secrets regarding the metal derros. I am confident that with the assistance of the High Druid and the many talents we have among us that this is indeed an achievable task." Nyíl pauses for a moment before adding, "But only if we all take part."

"Inidrill, your assistance will be most needed, and I thank you for your support. And while I dare not speak for the rest of you I am hopeful that you will all lend your talents to the cause as well."
Last edited May 21, 2015 10:14 pm
May 22, 2015 12:06 am
Jeremiah idly taps his shield with one of his daggers, his face bearing the weight of deep thought and puzzlement. As Nyil completes her speech, he let out a deep sigh, and speaks up. "I don't know how you actually got any derro to keep their side of a pact, but if this Inigo character be the best man to stop this madness, then what are we waitin' for?"

He slung the dagger into its sheath and continued. "If he's dead then he might have something in his person that could help us. But if he's alive, then all the better. So... where was Mr. Sharpe last spotted?"
May 22, 2015 1:48 pm
Blackstar bursts into sudden rude laughter and all eyes turn to glare at him for the interruption.

Blackstar knows Nyil Ij, but not particularly well. They had traveled together briefly soon after Hell Marsh. He knows flamboyant Jeremiah well enough because of a few shared adventures (misadventures, some might call them). The eager elf Inidrill is new to him. What could they possibly want with one such as Blackstar?

Blackstar's understanding of the powers that influence this world are limited, but being so malleable both physically and morally, he has felt their tug-o-war since his arrival here. The centaur on the slaver ship spoke of this High Druid. Apparently she has purview over the wild untamed forests in this area, and has been defending the Empire against incursions from the sea. Ixion had mentioned having been banished from the Wild Wood, but did not go into detail. Blackstar reels his wandering mind back to the here-and-now. Shakes his head to clear it. As clear a head as a madman can have. He laughs loudly again.

"I've been wondering why you'd want me along, but now I know. This mission is madness. You need a madman! Well, here I am."
May 24, 2015 1:29 am
A wave of relief visibly washed over Feras and he clasped his hands together, "Thank you! I cannot express my joy and relief that you would help us. I must admit, I had my doubts you would respond favorably, but thank the High Druid for her foresight. If there is any way I can assist you, please ask, and I will see it done!"

Feras turned toward Jeremiah, "I have been spent considerable time trying to gather as much information as possible on the story of Inigo's death, hoping that there was some indication he escaped alive. Inigo is....was...quite odd - a genius! but very odd. He had stayed here for a time helping us find a way to better cultivate our lands to grow our trees larger and stronger. I've never seen anyone work so feverishly on a task before, and as you can attest, the forest around us is bigger and stronger than I would have ever dreamed possible!"

Feras began pacing again, gesturing in the air to emphasize his story, "As I understand it, Inigo had been working on a contraption that would severely undercut the orc's ability to travel as quickly as they do. Being the first onto a battlefield has incredible advantages, and the Orc Lord had sent a team of his elite to deal with Inigo and stop his creation of this magical device.

"The elite squad did their task, and did it well. The only thing left of Inigo's tower was a pile of rubble. Alas, there was no evidence or rumor of anyone escaping. And I have not been able to find even a whisper of Inigo since. I wish I had more information for you to work with. We are working with a derro seer who is trying to divine more information, but it's a time consuming process, and her visions aren't always very clear. But she and her interpreters are working hard. Perhaps they will find something else. You'd be surprised at how much they want these derro abominations stopped.

He stopped his pacing and stared thoughtfully into the flames in the fireplace for a long moment, "The only other thing that might be of value is that we were able to determine that his former assistant is living on the shore of the Midland Sea somewhere between New Port and Shark Tooth Bay. They had supposedly had a falling out a year before Inigo's death, and while he is no match for the incredible magic and mind of Inigo, he might be of help if you cannot find Inigo. And there's the possibility he might be able to shed some light on the whereabouts of Inigo...or his body."

"If you have any other questions, please ask. As I said before, I will do whatever I can to aid you in this task."

He paused, then slowly turned and stared hard into the face of Inidrill, "But, Inidrill? Speak illly of the High Druid in my presence again, and I will have you forcibly removed from this land. Do not forget whose domain you are in. Do I make myself clear?"
May 24, 2015 3:18 pm
"You take offense when I speak only truth. Souls, whether departed, living, or soon to enter this realm are the domain of the gods. And it is beyond my ability to simply command them back from the other side where they rest. Yet it is that very deed she demands of us. I do not doubt the High Druids wisdom however and welcome the challenge. If you take fact as insult, my most gracious host, perhaps an examination of your own faith and commitment to her is in order. But I digress. The topic at hand is more important."

"You say you are working with a Derro seer? But Derro are the problem. what assurances do you have that this seer is not misleading you intentionally?"
May 26, 2015 8:41 am
At this, Jeremiah stepped in. "Usually I'd hate to interrupt anyone's speech, but I've seen derros backstab each other while I was an apprentice smith in Forge. They're clearly crazy, and frankly anything that'd help them remove themselves from the land is a blessing if you ask me."

Facing Feras, he continued. "While I was taught to never settle for even dwarven pig iron, this assistant is our best lead at the moment. Could you provide us with supplies and maybe a ship to go with it? If you've got any magic that could help us too, that'd be great."
May 26, 2015 2:27 pm
"I would have liked to have met this inventor," Blackstar says, fingering the inert blaster at his hip.

"Feras says this former assistant is living on the shore of the Midland Sea somewhere between New Port and Shark Tooth Bay. We don't need a boat to get there. Why, I just walked from there yesterday! That's where I came ashore after hitching a ride with some nice circus people headed for Drakkenhal." Blackstar sniggers. "Probably strolled across his front lawn without knowing it! Supplies certainly wouldn't hurt though. Does this former assistant have a name?"
Last edited May 26, 2015 2:30 pm
May 27, 2015 9:52 pm
Feras slowly nodded at Inidrill, "…I agree, the topic at hand is more important." He turned to address everyone, "As for the derro's loyalty, I do not question it. We have been at peace with them for the past several years, and it has been a very profitable time for both our people. They were the first to alert us of this issue as their children began disappearing from their homes at night. Search parties returned empty handed, and we had all but given up hope until the children emerged from the earth, transformed into these monsters who are now laying waste. Our allies seek to bring an end to this madness and stop this 'Unseen Master' as much, if not more than I do." He paused then looked back into the flames, seemingly struggling with a weight of emotion, "I must admit, it took me some time to get past my prejudices. And while I do not fault you for yours, I will stand by the reports given to us by our allies."

He straightened his shoulders and turned to Jeremiah, "While I have heard rumors of ships that sail the land as well as the sea, I have yet to see one with my own eyes. I can, however, outfit you with a team of horses and supplies, which will certainly aid in your travels." He moved to the mantle and reached into a small chest, withdrawing a silvery disk. He handed it to Jeremiah, "This is one of the devices Inigo tinkered with while he was here. By pressing these symbols, it allows for communication at great distances. With it, I will be able to pass along any additional information I find. Please take great care of it, as Inigo made very few of them."

He looked at Blackstar, "I believe the assistant's name is Firen or Gyfin or something like that. The seers have been having an unusually difficult time finding information on him, and when they try scrying him directly, they only see a white sun. They cannot look at it for long as it seems to burn their eyes."

Uncertainty suddenly rippled across his face and he said, "Please wait here. I will return in a moment," and he left the room.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.