The Strangling Sea: Chapter 1

load previous
May 27, 2015 10:09 pm
Nyíl, not one to talk, sits back and takes in the conversation and as Feras exits the room a concerned look crosses her face, "While I have complete faith in The High Druid's intentions the same courtesy can not be extended to her messengers."
May 31, 2015 2:06 am
Several minutes passed before Feras returned. He carried with him a suit of armor made of dark stone slates. He set it and a few jars on the table and clasped his hands before him, "Please pardon my abrupt departure. I suddenly remembered we had this armor in storage, and after consulting with a few of my advisors, we think you should have it. The blessing it carries will do more for you in your journey than it will sitting on our shelves here. I also found these potions to send with you as well.

I presume you will depart on the morrow, so I ensured you all have comfortable rooms for tonight, but if you would like to leave immediately, I will send word to the stables."

OOC: You'll need to decide who gets the armor and potions:

Blessed Slate Light Armor: +1 AC and PD. Quirk: Extremely stubborn
3 Adventurer Tier Healing Potions: When consumed, spend a recovery and gain Recovery + 1d8 HP (max 30)
May 31, 2015 2:21 pm
Inidrill observers her companions for a moment then looks at the items on the table. "I gladly offer the armor to either of you, and trust my health to divine providence, if however the heavy armor is not to your liking, I will accept this gift from our patron."

"As for getting started, I see no reason to leave immediately. The morning is a more auspicious time to begin anyway."
May 31, 2015 4:21 pm
"I am quite literally attached to my suit." Blackstar cackles. "However, I will gladly take one of these healing draughts if that's alright."
May 31, 2015 4:58 pm
"If it is all right with the rest of you I would like to offer the armor to Inidrill, I'd be much more comfortable in my own." Reaching for one of the potions Nyíl continues, "I will take one of these along for us should the need the arise."

"Feras, Inidrill makes a fair point. A good night's rest would surely be to our benefit. Is there lodging available for the four of us nearby?"
Jun 1, 2015 8:36 am
Scrutinizing the slab of stone that their benefactor called 'armor' with his eyes, Jeremiah snickered a bit. He mumbled to himself, "It's passable I suppose."

In his normal voice, he continued. "I'll have a bottle of that magical healing, though I'd like to honor my master by adding a generous amount of ale to the brew, if that's alright with everyone."
Jun 1, 2015 1:35 pm
"I wouldn't mind some of that ale right now but with my luck it's more likely to turn into imp urine as soon as it touches my lips!" Blackstar says mournfully. "Remember that bar in Glitterhaegen, Jeremiah? I still feel bad about throwing up on your head. You sure did love that feathered hat of yours!"
Jun 3, 2015 7:16 am
Jeremiah winced at the memory. "Yes, I did. Remind me to give you another air hole just like I did back then, so you can spew your drink lower next time." He jested sarcastically. "Took me weeks to find another cockatrice feather to replace the one you ruined, y'know!"

Calming down a bit, he faced the group and said, "I'm sorry, I'll feed him some grub rot when I get the chance. May I take a look at our accommodations?"
Jun 5, 2015 4:01 am
Feras nodded at the requests about the rooms, "Yes, as I mentioned, we have prepared rooms for you tonight." He called for the servants, who led each of you to your room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, you were greeted by an enormous breakfast feast, then led to the gates were eight fine horses stood waiting. Four had saddles and the others had bulging packs. Feras introduced them, "These are the finest bred horses we have. If you swap packs and saddles, you will probably grow weary of travel before they do. Please care for them and treat them with respect. When you are done with them, let them free, and they'll find their way back here.

"I spoke with our seers last night and asked them to seek out the Orcs, who are once again looking for Inigo. Seems they want to finish what they started. The seers were able to find some new information. The Orcs are furiously seeking a man named Firigin, who is the assistant we have been having trouble scrying. They know no more of his whereabouts than we do, so you must hasten to find him! It would be ill fate indeed if the Orcs get to him first.

"Farewell, and may the wild nature that binds us all together aid you in your journey!"

OOC:
Unless you want to do anything else with Feras, we're going to do another montage, except this time instead of describing the troubles you run into during your travels, narrate how you find Firigin. Did one of your Icon relationships come into play (remember the 5s and 6s you have at your disposal)? Was it a chance encounter with his former lover? Was it spending a week chasing down tavern rumors? Be as creative as you'd like, and who posts in what order doesn't matter this time 'round.
Jun 6, 2015 2:50 am
For the first leg of the journey, we first went to Elder's Cache, one of several trading outposts that lie between Axis and Horizon. Feras mentioned derros, and Jeremiah figured that perhaps the less violent of the underfolk may know this Firigin's whereabouts.

Not that Elder's Cache is known for being a quiet place. On the contrary, its tavern The Wax Off Wax Inn is known to be one of the better places to break every bone in your body in, as monks, brawlers, veteran gladiators, and even the occasional orc comes by with one excuse or another to start a friendly exchange of fisticuffs. The perfect place for crazy folk like the derros to relax in**.

It's here that we heard about Firigin's aunt, Aunt Marga, who might know more about his whereabouts.

[ It is much to Jeremiah's chagrin that he knows this place. ]
Last edited June 6, 2015 2:51 am
Jun 8, 2015 3:04 pm
Imagining Aunt Marga as a kind old lady, the adventurers are shocked to find she in fact runs a brothel in the dirtiest, toughest part of town. Aunt Marga is grotesquely huge, towering over even Blackstar, and her girth is even more monstrous. She is also ugly beyond all reckoning. That is, if one could see her actual face through the layers of cosmetics. She receives the adventurers in her heavily perfumed boudoir. All are equally ill at ease except for Blackstar, who finds it all just unbelievably funny. Aunt Marga offers to give them information about her nephew in exchange for one night with Jeremiah, which Blackstar gleefully agrees to. Nyil & Inidrill (and not surprisingly, Jeremiah himself) manage to talk the old girl into settling for one of the flamboyant gnome's silk handkerchiefs and one of his secrets whispered in her ear.

The information she gives is this: The last time she saw Firigin, he was scouting Elder's Cache for sellswords to hire for a journey North to the coast, where he intended to get himself a ship.
Last edited June 8, 2015 3:06 pm
Jun 9, 2015 5:57 pm
Using the lead that Firigin in was in town hiring mercenaries, the party heads out again, armed with better questions to ask. Much to their dismay however they discovered they had missed Firigin by a day or so. He and his band had headed North. Along the way the group encounters an elven scouting party. They are on the trail of a group of orcs who also are headed north. Inidrill talks the party's way into the band of elven scouts and they all travel north.

They catch up to the orcs on the third night. A battle ensued but the orcs had not been prepared for the attack and were throughly destroyed.It seemed the orcs have caught two humans sellswords who had been with Firigin but got seperated when the orcs were detected and the mercenaries fled. The mercenary who survived was greatful for being rescued and told his saviors all he knew of Firigin's plan, but it was nothing new. The elves send word to their commander and make camp for the night. Revelry over takes the camp that night and much brandy and wine are shared. In the morning messages return from the elven command and are taken directly to the scout leader's tent. A large breakfast for two is brought moments later. About half an hour later Inidrill emerges from the scout leader's tent and she gathers her companions. It seems the elves had noted the passage of the mercenary band being lead by a man fitting Firigin's description. They were using the well established road to pass through the woods to get North. The elves provided a map showing a shorter hunting trail that could get the party in front of the mercenaries.
Last edited June 9, 2015 5:57 pm
Jun 11, 2015 12:11 am
Several hours into their trek along the hunting trail the party comes across what appears to be a fork that isn't on the map and the proper path forward is not clear. While stopping to discuss their options Nyíl notices a wispy figure beckoning to her along the left fork. Trying to keep quiet, she gently nudges Jeremiah, and points towards the figure. Jeremiah then quietly notifies the others as Nyíl tries to make sense of what she is seeing.

Moving slowly towards the figure Nyíl does her best to identify it, but the best she can make out is that it is some sort of humanoid, about seven feet in height. As the group gets closer the figure moves further along, motioning for Nyíl to follow. As this back and forth continues the figure slowly picks up speed and group does their best to keep up until eventually everyone is near a full sprint. Just as it appears that the figure is going escape, it lunges into the brush off of the trail, and as Nyíl follows, her leg catches a root and sends her sprawling through the air and landing flat on her face.

As she picks herself up and brushes herself off she realizes that she landed on the side of a road. Looking back to the others she notices that their attention is focused further down at the small group of people heading in their direction. "Looks like we may have found who we've been looking for." she thinks as the party approaches who they hope is Firigin.

OOC: The figure was from my relationship roll with the High Druid. Perhaps some help when we weren't sure which way to go.
Jun 12, 2015 10:10 pm
After a conversation with the gypsies on the road, they go on their way, having divulged to you that just an hour ago, a man matching Firigin's description sped past them hopping on one foot at an unbelievably fast pace. Shortly after, four angry-looking mercenaries rode past on tired horses. One of the children had piped up saying that she had noticed an odd, white leaf on the hopping man's foot.

You head off in the direction given, and soon hear the sound of crashing waves against the shore. Cresting a final hill, you see three men beating on the doors and windows of an incredibly white, spherical building. The full spectrum of the sun seems to be collected, intensified, and reflected off the dome.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/FiriginsDome.jpg

Shielding your eyes, you can make out a fourth person standing in front of the building. She calls out, "Firigin! You scad! We had a deal, you slimy piece of Koru offal! When we're done with you, there'll be nothing left - we'll destroy even those pearly whites you're so proud of. You're a dead man either way, but we'll kill you quickly if you let us in!

"Gorta, move away from the door." A thick-necked man complied and a swath of fire shot from the woman's hand and struck the door. It rattled in its frame, but the flames rolled over the sphere and dissipated. The woman let out a screech, "Tear down that door!" Gorta moved back into position and swung his heavy club again at the wooden door.

OOC: Great montage, everyone. Sorry for my delay. It has been a very rough week as we've had to deal with some family things. We should be back on schedule though.
Jun 13, 2015 7:01 am
"Heehee, looks like we're in for another fight! And they have a mage of some sort!" Blackstar's eyes widen in anticipation and his mouth drips spittle like a mad dog. He prepares himself, gathering the chaos magic to him. He wonders gleefully what mayhem will be unleashed through him here today.

[OOC: njohn858 this might be a good time to tell me my first spell type :-) ]
Last edited July 4, 2015 2:44 pm
Jun 14, 2015 2:03 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
[OOC: njohn858 this might be a good time to tell me my first spell type :-) ]
OOC: Your first spell type will be Iconic. I'm rolling a d12 to determine which icon it's associated with. Reference 13TW p16 for which icon the roll correlates to. :)

Rolls

Iconic Spell Association - (1d12)

(8) = 8

Jun 14, 2015 3:40 am
The stench of rotting flesh in his nostrils tells Blackstar his first spell this battle will bear the taint of the Lich King. His face transforms into that of a corpse. He looks inquiringly at his companions, speaks in a death rattle, "I expect the rest of you will want to come up with some sort of plan. Best be quick about it, I can't keep this bottled up for long." He gestures at the woman attacking Firigin's odd dwelling. "Looks like those sellswords aren't good at waiting either."

"Besides," Blackstar laughs croakingly, his face now a grotesque skull, "the suspense is killing me!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f0/77/25/f077254848883a2dafdfec50a4d69f77.jpg
Last edited June 14, 2015 1:11 pm
Jun 14, 2015 5:28 am
Inidrill dismounts and steps forward watching the brigands gathered before the domed building. She takes a wide stance and plants the butt of her weapon in the ground, her off hand on her hip in a powerful pose. She gives Balckstar a sidlomg glance with narrowed eyes. Then shouts to the people assulring the doo, "Greetings, fellow travelers! It is fortuitous that we have found you here. We seek a common goal. Getting something from Firigin, who seems to be in that hovel. If you would let us speak to him first however, that would be appreciated. What we seek he will most likely give, then afterward we will depart in peace and let you have your way with him."
Last edited June 14, 2015 2:10 pm
Jun 16, 2015 12:16 pm
Blackstar turns skeletal eye sockets towards Inidrill in disbelief. She means to reason with these sellswords! The only language these people understand is money! The cleric just boldly gave up the advantage of surprise! And he thought these people would put their heads together for a quick plan. Well, this suits him just fine!

Blackstar spurs his mount forward, and charges down the hill, his head haloed in writhing necrotic energy.

[OOC: I guess this means Initiative. Blackstar is Gathering Power this round to empower his spell, which he will cast at double strength in the 2nd round. I forgot to roll for Blackstar's random sorcerer spell for the day. Doing that now.]

Roll results:

Chaotic Benefit: Blackstar gains +1 AC bonus until the start of his next turn. Temp AC = 13.

Sorcerer spell for the day: Chaos Bolt
Last edited June 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Rolls

Initiative. - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Chaotic Benefit while Gathering Power - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sorcerer spell for the day. - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Jun 18, 2015 12:55 am
Nyíl dismounts, readies her bow, and notches an arrow. She watches closely as Blackstar starts his charge and will react when and if a fight is started.

OOC: I'll roll initiative just in case it's needed.
Last edited June 18, 2015 12:55 am

Rolls

Initiative [First Roll: Quick to Fight] - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Initiative [Second Roll: Quick To Fight] - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.