Octagon - Another Purpose - Game Thread.

load previous
May 29, 2015 12:33 am
"I think we have quorum, Zinobia. Jax, Nyom, and myself believe that we should ambush the avatrols. Perhaps we could even use this fluid to our advantage and lure them here. Are there any other ploys we can think of to take these lumbering beasts out?"

Lucas looks around at the assembled warriors, seeing if anyone has any ideas.

"That is unless your experiments have found an easier way to cross these canals, merchant."

He looks questioningly at Mandoric.
Last edited May 29, 2015 12:35 am
May 29, 2015 2:06 am
The merchant awakes from his Numenera-inspired reverie to see six pairs of eyes looking at him. One pair is easy to deal with - he pulls a treat from a pocket inside the sleeves of his robe and the faithful seskii gobbles it out of his hand. To the others he says:

"My apologies. The wonders of the past are truly glorious, and I lost myself in them for a time. I know that you are people of action, so I will briefly summarize what I have discovered, and then leave the final decision to you. First, this liquid is a coolant. Second, the liquid 'desires' to be united, and will move to do so. Third, the people who built this miraculous device saw fit to separate the liquid from itself by numerous, somewhat flimsy walls. My theory is that if we were to smash some of these walls, and allow enough of the liquid to unite, it would get so cold as to freeze, and we could pass safely across the numeneric ice."

"I am glad that everyone shares my mistrust of the flowers, but as I see it, we have two options: smash some of these walls, or smash the beasts in the valley. I will leave the decision with you, and my seskii and I are ready to provide what support we can in any combat."

His mind begins to work on the numeneric problem at hand again, and he adds under his breath, "Unless there are sluices in the walls...". His uncovered eye glazes over as he loses himself once again in cogitations.

I'm sorry I also got carried away yesterday. As we agreed to "five posts per week" maybe we should aim to stick closer to that. I'm wondering if we should either always wait for everyone to respond before posting again, or at least never post more than twice before everyone has responded. In future I will try to keep my numeneric experiments (which are really fascinating, a big part of the game, and kind of the point of my character in the party) to one, maximum two posts. We have also agreed to keep rules discussions to the "Game Discussion" thread. Right now I'm not going to post until everyone has, and if everyone decides to take action and go and fight the monsters, I will follow along and add my humble bit to combat on the end of your strategies. Basically the seskii and I are only effective in melee, and probably best if we combine with one other person, to give us the "one, two, three" advantage.
Last edited May 29, 2015 3:24 am
May 29, 2015 4:05 am
"Smashing aye?" Jax says as he begins to smile and pick up his hammer.

"I think I might have the tool for that. Mandoric if you are right it might be safer than wasting precious equipment on the avratrols" he points to ronna to insinuate her low amount of ammo.
Last edited May 29, 2015 4:06 am
May 29, 2015 4:44 am
Suddenly Mandoric get some feeling.... that he is on completely wrong direction... but... datasphere.... hints... perhaps he had some glimpse.... spark of right idea.... but it been burried within scientiefic data so much, that it losing it trace in his brain with each discovery he founds.....Perhaps thats a trick? Something simple.... As one?

OOC i will give this another spin, and if after this one spin people who been fascinated by the canals will not find the way to pass through canals safely , then the party majority will go for attacking Avatrols. If Mandoric finds the solution he gets GM Intrusion like boni of 2 xp - one for him and one for person of his selection. But we have only one spin for that. :P
May 29, 2015 5:28 am
OK, after that it hint, it sounds like I have to make another post, if only to let us finally move on to some Avatrol bashing... :-)

Mandoric's brain whirs in confusion, but his hands are already moving, almost unconsciously. He pulls out a torch from his backpack, and lights it, the flame oddly out of place in the daylight. If this device was meant as a protection to heat, would the liquid leave the canals if attracted by fire? He lowers the flame carefully towards the liquid, meaning to move away with the torch if his final theory is correct.

Incidentally, I didn't want to touch the liquid - I knew the result of that - just hold it nearby and see if the liquid reacted.
Last edited May 29, 2015 5:58 am
May 29, 2015 5:32 am
The liquid.... estinguishes the fire.
Nothing else happens.
Fire is extinguished, liquid is still, as before.
May 29, 2015 5:42 am
"We need to come with final decision, perhaps you can vote? I am ok with either canals or smashing Avatrols. I do not know if we could surprize them, they could sense us before we attack, but we can try." - said Zinobia.

Please cast your votes. 1 per person . This is last last chance for Mandoric (or any other) to come up with fully explained, correct solution. Its better to think and conversate in discussion thread before posting here. If Avatrols will get majority, party should go and try to sneak on them.
May 29, 2015 5:51 am
Ronna stares absent-mindedly at the turquoise liquid, using her healthy hand to flex the fingers in her frozen one.

"Hey, Mandoric", she says. "What do you suppose would happen if you'd pour some of that liquid from one canal to another?"

OOC: BlackStork, you seem to be saying that only Mandoric is allowed to try to do anything for this puzzle at this point. If that's so, let me know and I'll change that.
May 29, 2015 5:55 am
Gargoyle says:
Ronna stares absent-mindedly at the turquoise liquid, using her healthy hand to flex the fingers in her frozen one.

"Hey, Mandoric", she says. "What do you suppose would happen if you'd pour some of that liquid from one canal to another?"

OOC: BlackStork, you seem to be saying that only Mandoric is allowed to try to do anything for this puzzle at this point. If that's so, let me know and I'll change that.
No, its ok for others to try. Please keep busy conversation in discussion thread though. Trying time is over, now its better to find final solution and present it or its idea, complete, before all the party, before the party completely loses any belief that the canals thing could be passed safely.
Now each one does 1 turn. It could be presentation, experiement, which need to bring solution. If it does not, it does not, and if Avatrols smashing gets majority and/or all final experiements fail, then the party goes to hunt
May 29, 2015 3:41 pm
Players may say their oppinions on how to proceed - attacking Avatrols, go through flower field, or pass the canals. Pleayers can propose creative ideas how to make this or that task easier.

Please do your turns, each one do only one action/post/turn and cast your vote/do your proposition during it. Outcome of this turn will form party-wide decision on next action
May 29, 2015 4:28 pm
Ronna continues staring the canals, looking more forlorn and dejected than you've ever seen her before. When Zinobia pushes them to make their decision, she shrugs wearily.

"What I'd like to do?" she says and sucks at her front teeth. "To go back, find something to build a temporary bridge with, and use that to cross the canals."

Then she sighs and flexes her frozen fingers. "But if you make me to choose between the canals and the beasts… well, I guess I have to choose the canals. They would be painful, but at least most of us might make it. Besides, I think I'd prefer dying by freezing numbness than by being torn to pieces."

When she has spoken her mind, Ronna sits down, still holding her fingers, and stares into the distance.
May 29, 2015 7:41 pm
"'Most of us might make it?' - doesn't sound all that encouraging to me and you know how I feel about drowning. If we're choosing how we're going to die, I'll take getting torn to bits as I go out fighting!"

Looking over at the avatrols she continues, "perhaps we can find a way to separate one or two of them from the pack with long range fire and gang up on them. All of them at once might be a little much."
May 30, 2015 4:45 am
"Me and Nyom have good combat experience. Im sure with some proper planning those Avatrols would be a simpler task than risking our untimely deaths in the canals"

He lays a hand of Ronnas shoulder which is considerably smaller.

"I understand the desire Ronna to want to find a route that doesnt involve us fighting but look at your hand! Imagine if that stuff gets on us in more intrusive ways. Wed be dead quicker than if we fought"
May 30, 2015 5:59 am
"Then it is decided. I agree that our better option is to cure the wastes of these beasts. The question now is figuring out the best way how. We should rely on concentrated fire and mobility. I still think that if there is a way to lure them to this place, we can use the coolant against them. In my village, I have seen hunters goad wild beasts into chasing one man while others attack from safety. The one man is usually in harm's way the most and I have seen some come back less a piece or two but perhaps the strategy can be adapted. If we set ourselves up for a surpise encounter with ranks of shooters at 50 ft and 70ft, we should be able to set up a fighting retreat towards the coolant. Each warrior should target a single beast until it is dead before moving on to the next. I volunteer to kick the laaks' nest, so to speak, and taunt the creatures if we want to have the beasts chase one of us. Alternatively, the first attack may drive them to anger without the need for a runner. Ambush, kill the first, covered retreat to the coolant, push them in if possible."

Lucas looks around at the others.

"Unless you have any other schemes, I say we stop wasting daylight and get to hunting avatrols. Perhaps it will help us in our journey. I have heard that one can see their destiny if they look through the hole of an avatrols skull."
Last edited May 30, 2015 6:00 am
May 30, 2015 8:04 am
Mandoric looks up from his extinguished torch and sighs. This secret of the past will have to remain so. He listens to his companions' words carefully then speaks, his voice laden with resignation.

"Lucas' plan is sound, but if I can add my small contribution. I have a cypher which allows one to imitate any creature. Zinobia, with your knowledge of the beasts of this waste, you could maybe use it as a lure to the beasts, to call them to us, so to speak

"I also suggest we help each other across to the nearest platform in the canals, and use that as our platform for ranged attacks against the avatrols. Who knows, that may mean we can avoid close combat altogether, or even better lure rather than push them into the canals

"What do you think Zinobia, can you use the cypher to call the beasts here, and what else can you tell us about the creatures which might help us here. It is clear to me we must pool all our knowledge and skills to pass through this danger unscathed."

I think we should all look at Corebook 101 to think how to help each other both with getting to the canal platform if thats what we decide to do and in the combat.
May 30, 2015 9:23 am
"Smart ideas" - said Zinobia, and turned to Lucas "But...

Do you know how fast could be charging Avatrol? No man could run from that. That one person will require more than just running.... Numenera perhaps?

Avatrols skin is very thick too, and my blowgun, and Ronna's dart thrower will be useless.

The idea of drowning them here sounds pretty decent though, the big "how" here is how we lure them...."

He turns towards Mandoric and adds :

"I have something better in mind, Mandoric. It will save you your cypher and will make much better effect. Orosomia. That ball plant. The particles from it take over neural control of the beast, and it.... it is less cautios and more enraged.... It could also call them here closer, if we will find such plant here nearby. Considering how common it is in this area, i think there will be one which could be helpful. But... That won't be enough to lure them into the canals. And just running person wont be enough.

Also the idea of using canal walls and blocks inside to fire ranged attacks and keep certain people in safety sounds pretty good too. Perhaps Lucas can fire his arrows from walls, being separated from immidiate contact with the Avatrols.
We need an Orosomia plant nearby and to find how we lure them here, without sacrificing one life.... Because six charging beasts will charge on any runner, knock down him and kill him outright."

Next Round of discussion begins. One post per person please, any discussions please keep in discussion thread. Cheers :)
Party decided on dealing with Avatrols.
May 30, 2015 10:02 am
Zinobia's description of avatrols makes the frown on Ronna's face deepen and she shakes her head quietly. Then she clambers back on her feet and wanders off towards the field of flowers, looking for a place to hide when the combat begins.
Jun 1, 2015 12:37 am
"The Orosomia plant would work" mutters Jax as he contemplates the idea of using the flower.

Jax sees Ronna walk off into flowers.

"Ronna come out. Its okay to be scared about the beasts but we need to work together to get through here. Why dont you help us in finding one of these flowers?"
Last edited June 1, 2015 12:37 am
Jun 1, 2015 4:58 am
Zinobia's words remind Mandoric what he told us about the Orosomia plant:
BlackStork says:
While on run, Zinobia explains that the plant of Orosomia is edible plant for different kinds of mammals and creatures, and it have synergy, some kind of alliance and connection, kind of symbiosis with local Avatrols. Perhaps it is how plant protect itself from being destroyed or killed, but it is known fact in this area, that if any local animal / mammal tempted by juicy smell of Orosomia (which normally humans do not sense at all), and try to consume it, it explodes, releasing some particles inot the air, which move in air around with huge speed, and connecting with nervous system of Arvatrols. Obcourse angered Arvatrols come, kill and consume creatures which attacked the plant. And, of course, Avatrols are happy, because in fact the plant feeds them - it bring them, omnivore creatures, to flesh, blood and sinew they so like to munch.
"Mr Highborn has the right of it. Let us find ourselves an Orosomia plant, then we can get ourselves to a place of safety, while Mr Cloudscraper or another person with a ranged weapon bursts the plant, drawing the Avatrols into our trap. Perhaps my seskii might be a boon here - able to sense the plant where we humans cannot."

Mandoric keeps the seskii on a tight lead, as he does not want the beast to try to eat the plant, but he and the creature move away, Mandoric giving the seskii instruction to find food, but stay close.

Not quite sure what to roll here. Do I roll for me or for the seskii or both? Does one of us count as assisting the other? I would like to use some Intellect effort if possible, as our survival rests on not messing this up. Please advise @BlackStork then I'll roll.

The seskii snuffles around, but is more interested in the holes of little desert rodents that he finds than in any plant life. Mandoric returns to the group empty handed.
Last edited June 1, 2015 5:10 am

Rolls

Seskii looking for Orosomia - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jun 1, 2015 5:04 am
Please roll for seskii lvl 3 difficulty task. Mandoric can not provide any help to seskii, because Mandoric himself does now know how plant smell, and do not have example to show. If there were example, then may be it could be easy....if not , perhaps Zinobia can find it, but this may take time
You can roll now, in this turn

Waiting for Nyom and Lucas turns to proceed
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.