Octagon - Another Purpose - Game Thread.

May 24, 2015 5:59 pm
After the party crossed 70 miles in one and half days, Zinobia advised to make another neccessary camp for rest and noon meal. He mentioned that he want to gather party and to tell the story about him, his tribe, party destination and their mission.

When the camp was set and meal was ready, everyone gathered in the circle and Zinobia started to tell his story.

His tone was trembling at times. Sometimes he dived into details, colorful, vivid and violent.

Lately known as Lone Wolf of Jagged Wastes - that how he been called in Yosh-Ul, he was solitary numenera expert and hunter.
His tribe, once big, were living at edges of Jagged Wastes.

One day he, his son, daughter and two younger cousins were at hunt. When they returned to their tribe's camp they found big crater and smoke as remnants of huge explosion in it's place. That was shocking experience - everyone was dead, burned alive in mysterious explosion. In sorrow of huge loss like that, without a clue about origins of this explosion, they moved to Yosh-Ul, to unite with other tribes under Vona's patronage, where they established themselves as numenera seekers and traders.

The family worked together, young daughter maintained cypher tent at Yosh-Ul, and males been hunting in area.
Once his son, Zamaai, encountered some strange man who appeared from nowhere, in the air above the hunting party, and felt just in front of them. After his fall he lived for few minutes, and in that time he, spewing blood, called himself "Breacher" and gave some strange numenera piece to Zamaai - Octagon Shaped oddity, which was some kind of compass, leading to some place. The man was shortly dead, but new numenera was new mystery in hands of Da-Zaan, and tribe wanted to know what it reveals.

They took it, gathered their male hunting party, leaving sister to oversee trade in Yosh-Ul, and moved onwards, following indication of the compass, taking some Shazi people with them, since they did not wanted to go there alone and required more people to survive and combat hazards on their long way.

When they arrived, three younger Da-Zaans, including his son, gone to scout into the cave. They came soon, telling that there is some kind of big numenera with entrance.
Zinobia suggested that youngsters should scout further inside, while he will remain with Shazi people, who needed to threat their wounded men, and as assurance that Da-Zaan wont leave Shazi and wont escape with all numenera without sharing it.
Youngsters left the compass oddity to the Zinobia, and he stayed at camp.

Youngsters did not came back. Shazi people patience was over as few days of waiting passed, and they demanded their share and payment for their wounds and time, but yougnsters didn't came. In anger talk weapons been drawn, and angered Shazi attacked Zinobia. Being trained lone wolf, he skilfully killed all the Shazi people at the camp, took the compass and returned to Yosh-Ul to heal his wounds, and prepare himself for new quest : to find the youngsters. He went to Vona's temple, and Seers of Vona said that they sense his son and more of his tribe alive. Alive but far. Far, somewhere in The Ninth World. His hope to find youngsters was the main reason of his life for now and he was obsessed by it.

So that was a reason, and mission he hired the party for. He needed someone to help him to find his son and cousins. Vona Seers were sure that they are alive. He promized that any numenera, found in their expedition will belong to the hired party, and he will pay very handsomely at Yosh-Ul when they will return with his son. In addition his daughter will pay, and Da-Zaan tents will be home for the party members for span of eternity. He also mentioned that there is some big numenera and probably alot of cyphers and may be artifacts could be found.

Ooc comments will be done in green color
May 24, 2015 6:07 pm
"So.." - Zinobia gasped more air - "This is the story..
Now you know everything. I promise you that we will find numenera and it will be yours. All i want is reunite with my son.
And who knows where this thing .. "
- he pointed at octagon-shaped compass "..leads.... I really hope my son is healthy and fine ... Who knows, may be he lives there better than we are here"
"Thats all.... and now we need to move - the scent of juicy humans spread with time, inviting more and more local creatures to feed on us"
May 24, 2015 6:40 pm
Mandoric is troubled by Zinobia's final words, and signals for his Seskii companion to be on the lookout for danger, whilst he himself looks across Zinobia. Mandoric speaks to Zinobia in his pleasant, charming manner, full of understanding for Zinobia's loss. As the conversation continues, he steers the conversation onto Zinobia's daughter, "I trust she is well, and that she need lack nothing whilst you are away.". In the most pleasant and subtle way possible, and certainly without directly asking, Mandoric is trying to gauge to what extent Zinobia is going to be able to make good on his promise of "great reward" on our return.

However, in the context of Zinobia's great anguish and disturbance, Mandoric's words ring hollow even in his own ears. Mandoric's stomach turns as he reads on Zinobia's face that the tribesman has clearly understood the merchant's avaricious intention.
Last edited May 25, 2015 5:20 am

Rolls

Seskii (notice) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Mandoric (garner information) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

May 24, 2015 6:56 pm
Zinobia fiercely replied to Mandoric : "My daughter is fine, YOU should not care too much, and you should not question our family's honor! To ones who help me, believe me, i will be able to provide riches and favors. Not a reward important here now, but how you, you personally will be able to help me in such cause. You wanted numenera? There are plenty of it. You wanted shins? You will have it. Protection in Yosh-Ul and in Wastes? You will have it. Stop questioning me and tell me first how you will be able to help. May be you know where my son is? Get me my son, and you will have all what i just mentioned and more. After all Da-Zaan always were honorable and favored tribe at Vona's court." - said Zinobia with unmasked anger and frustration in his voice.

"Help me in my sorrow, and believe me i will pay in many ways and will be in debt forever" - he added sadly and calmed. He went to the big boulder, climbed on it and looked around.

"We should move. Please gather your stuff"
May 24, 2015 7:34 pm
Nyom, finishing her meal, starts to get an uneasy feeling as Zinobia finishes his tale. Something just doesn't seem right to her about his intentions, but she can't quite place her finger on it. She leans over to Ronna and whispers "I think we'll need to keep a sharp eye on this one."

As she watches the elder Da-Zaan take his position atop the boulder she slowly gets up and starts gathering her belongings.
May 24, 2015 7:51 pm
Lucas tries to calm Zinobia while he gathers his stuff : "My friend Mandoric does not mean to offer insult to you or your honorable people, Zinobia. Your story moves us all, at least it moves me. We follow where you lead. You have been in these parts before. Do you know what dangers and hazards we are likely to encounter?"
Gather information

1d20
( 7 ) = 7
Last edited May 24, 2015 8:12 pm
May 24, 2015 8:27 pm
As Zinobia speaks, Ronna watches him with keen eyes. When he is finished, she continues to eat quietly, listening and watching others. She acknowledges Nyom's words with a quick glance. Then she raises and starts to gather her belonging. As if by accident, she happens walk by Zinobia. When passing him, she softly touches his shoulder, saying nothing, but giving him a sympathetic gaze and a soft, sad, compassionate smile. She, at least, understands his pain and feels for his loss.
May 24, 2015 8:48 pm
"Avatrols, Baliknas, Ergovores, Chirogs and even Ferno Walkers. I do not even mention Broken Hounds, and different kinds of not so harmful creatures which exist in this eco-system mainly as food. Area in front of us abundant with dangerous creatures. We could avoid those "contacts" if we careful though. Just do not pass close. Only Chirogs and Broken Hounds could really seek and chase, and Avatrols, if hungry. I hope we will not stumble on Ferno Walker. That could be a mess." said Zinobia. Then he turned for a second and crossed eyes with Rona and his eyes expressed mix of sadness and gratitude.
"We really should start moving. We should not tire ourselves and rest time to time, but camping in one place for long time means we make our scent more dense and easy to percieve for local creatures. We enter wild area, and you should be on alert. Remeber, always it's better to avoid fight. Wounds and blood won't help our mission.

Just be on alert, try to not make too much noise, and move fast"
May 24, 2015 9:39 pm
Jax gets up making sure his sword was neatly and tightly attached to his pack. It has been a long time since he's been home and the memories have begun to fade. The sword however, still fills him with all the nostalgia he could ever ask for. He is not one to be moved by words of sorrow and pain need they be lies but for the time being he feels the man may as well be speaking the truth. After all if he is telling the truth the pay will be great and if he is lying he would be dealt with.

"Let us hope our weapons will not be needed during our travels. Keep an eye out for tracks so we may not walk into anything of danger to us"
May 24, 2015 9:48 pm
Zinobia started to move, and party followed. He walked too fast at times, he was trained wasteland ranger. Party could not keep with his pace.
While party was closing the gap he used time and was climbing on boulders or lone trees to look around, and examined the ground for the tracks.
One hour passed since they left the camp, when again Zinobia climbed some boulder and observed the plains.
He jumped down and started to examine the ground. He raised hand, calling party to appraoch quicker.

"Broken Hounds. Tracks. They are nearby."

He looked around, and made swift moves with his hands, suggesting to follow him fast.

"We should change our course abit - to the west, if we do that fast we may avoid meeting them. They may catch our scent though, so we should move fast. And watch your step."

OOC: Party members (each one) must make speed roll in order to follow quickly after Zinobia in order to avoid encounter with Broken Hounds. Effort is applicable. Any relevant skills are applicable. Mandoric's Seskii do not need to roll

Rolls

Creature Type - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Zinobia Alertness - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Zinobia Tracking - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Zinobia Creature Behaviour Prediction - (1d20)

(6) = 6

May 24, 2015 10:23 pm
Lucas scambles to keep up but soon begins to lag behind. He pushes himself to keep up so as not to appear weak in front of Jax. The man reminds him of his father and he'd just as soon not dissappoint either of them.

Rolls

Speed + 1 Level of Effort - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 24, 2015 10:28 pm
Jax notices the tracks appear to be fresh. "We aren't safe here" he thinks to himself and he begins to run to keep up with Zinobia. The man is unusually fast and even Jax struggles to keep up with the man.

Rolls

Speed Roll. 1 level of effort spent - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 24, 2015 10:34 pm
OOC Please do not forget to update your character sheets in case you use efforts or any other changes.
For last two moves i updated myself, but if you will try to maintain that yourself will make my GM job easier. Cheers.
May 25, 2015 1:05 am
Mandoric is as excited as he is disturbed. He has a fascination with beasts, and part of him would like to see the broken hounds and observe their behaviour, despite the associated dangers. However a more rational part of him recognizes that those dangers are very real, so he pushes himself to keep up with his companions and avoid the creatures.

The seskii is even more excited by the smell and tracks of the broken hounds. She keeps wanting to run after the tracks, but Mandoric keeps her by his side with a strict word of instruction.

Applying one level of effort.
Last edited May 25, 2015 4:02 am

Rolls

Keep up with Zenobia - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 25, 2015 1:52 am
"Broken hounds could certainly make this a short trip for us all." Nyom thinks as she struggles to keep pace with Zinobia.

Rolls

Speed Roll [No Effort] - (1d20)

(15) = 15

May 25, 2015 3:57 am
Ronna is glancing around and clambering around the rocks awkwardly - she is very much out of her comfort zone.

The thought of broken hounds makes her fidget with her dart launcher constantly and she keeps looking around for this or that high rock or other hiding place she could go for if attacked. This nervousness keeps slowing her down, as she is watching around herself half as much as in front of her.
Last edited May 25, 2015 3:57 am

Rolls

Keeping up (no Effort) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

May 25, 2015 5:13 am
The party tries to catch up with Zinobia. All but Ronna keep pace while she staggers and lags behind, slowed down by fear and un-even terrain. Now the gap between the party and Ronna is 60 m, and increasing.

OOC
Ronna must make Broken Hound defence Perception roll, difficulty 5. She can not use effort here.
She also can shout and call the party to turn back, but in that case she is risking with un-avoidable, un-wanted attention
Mandoric, Lucas and Jax may do Situation Intelligence Roll. (Effort not applicable)
May 25, 2015 5:26 am
Although Mandoric is no stranger to exploration, he usually prefers to take things at a more genteel pace. He is not paying particular attention to anything except his own safety and keeping his seskii away from that overly friendly Ronna, who seems to have such an unpredictable effect on his otherwise loyal animal companion. So he is relieved when he does not see Ronna nearby, and thinks nothing more of it.
Last edited May 25, 2015 5:27 am

Rolls

Situation Intelliigence - (1d20)

(5) = 5

May 25, 2015 5:32 am
Ronna glances to the direction of the broken hounds. The sight makes her shake her head and try to re-gain her focus. She is not the one to easily cry for help, so she tries to use her natural, stealthy instincts instead - to find her own way through the terrain, instead of simply trying to emulate the others.

Rolls

Avoiding perception (skill: Stealthy tasks) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

May 25, 2015 5:36 am
Lucas keeps his head down as he runs behind Zinobia, his feet kicking up clouds of dust.

Rolls

Situational Awareness - (1d20)

(3) = 3

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.