Octagon - Another Purpose - Game Thread.

load previous
Oct 30, 2015 4:07 pm
"Not again!!" Nyom yells as she hears voices in her head. "I thought I was finished..."

Suddenly she realizes that the voice is Ronna's and gives her a glare. Before she can even get a word of protest out, Ronna offers an explanation of what is happening.

Letting out an audible sigh, Nyom shakes her head. "Such a power could come in very handy, but after what I've been through please use it on me only if necessary.",
Oct 30, 2015 7:01 pm
Ronna and Nyom's exchange is interrupted as OOLIN suddenly breaks contact with the device in Zinobia's palm. She reels back with a gasp, clutching her head. "Ahh! Too much…! It’s too much!..." She takes several moments to pull herself back together. "The device responded! It’s intelligent...or something intelligent is on other side. I felt like I was being watched by something or someone. The device is called The Ambassador, and its creators are called The Prism. I didn’t catch it all...it was too much...but it wants us to activate it, and it taught me how." She looks to her new companions, "Do we want to do that? Do we want to let them know we’re here? What if it’s THEM, T’jekyll? What if they’ve found me?"

OOLIN remembers little from her past. She knows that she is on the run from the shady organization that gave her her cybernetic implants. She has no idea for what purpose they 'built' her but she knows that for some reason they tried to destroy her. The organization attempted to destroy her remotely but all that accomplished was severing what control, communications and tracking link they still had on her. So she's in the wind, and trying to build a life of her own. Are they still looking for her? Who knows? She met T'Jekyll very soon after her escape. She has no idea who she was and what her life was before. She knows little about the world. She wouldn't have survived those first few weeks if it hadn't been for T'Jekyll, who is strong and capable and street-smart. Now they’ve been whisked to this place and she doesn’t know what’s going to happen next.
Last edited October 30, 2015 7:04 pm
Oct 30, 2015 8:20 pm
The ground was close already, but not enought to see much details under the thick fog. Only few interesting details were apparent to one who tries to search for them - The ground area had no buildings. Fog was even. There were trees. Rocks. But no buildings, and another detail - there were roads. Alot of them. The room descended slowly, and it was still too high to see more details.

For any more focused attempts of the search i will require the roll

Zinobia was shocked after he heard what Oolin said. At start he had odd reflex and pulled the artifact towards his chest.
"This thing should help me to find my son. It is key that leads here and it will get us back! " - he sounded almost angry.

Then he calmed down after a moment, and said : "What else you got from it? Do you know where are we ?"

Another round. To allow discussion and brainstorm and general flexability i allow up to 2 posts/actions per character during this round. The round will end in 24-36h after this post.

BlackStork sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Oct 30, 2015 8:57 pm
"Perhaps it will help you find your son. Perhaps not. There's only one way to find out. What else did it tell me? It told me you should keep it secret and keep it safe." OOLIN says no more to the group after that. She sits in a corner, hugging her knees. She whispers to T'Jekyll, "What do you think of these people, T'jekyll? Can we trust them? What about this Prism?" OOLIN pauses and then adds, "I'm scared."
Oct 30, 2015 9:18 pm
Ronna flashes an awkward smile at Nyom. "Sorry. I didn't mean to."

Then she turns back to watch the scenery outside the room, trying to make out details or anything else that would give some indication of where they are arriving to.

OOC: Ah, right. I had forgotten about Ronna's dice rolls.
Last edited October 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Rolls

Search (skilled in abilities involving lies, trickery and illusions, if relevant) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 31, 2015 9:12 am
Just character post, to spice up discussion, it's not a turn skip, ust GM-led PC's action

Look. I swear with my life that my son found this thing. We thought it will bring us to loot. Shiny numeneras. But he dissapeared.

I checked with seers with Yosh-Ul, they said he is alive, but very far. Huge distance from Yosh-Ul. This means we are not dead... i mean.... we are not in domain of spirits, and living here is possible... Seers said that the only way to find what it is about is to go "there" which is "here", i guess..... they said that this thing may be some key needed to "open some doors" "back and forth"
- he made grimace, probably trying to copy Yosh-Ul seer expression.

Those people - they are my friends who followed me to help to find my son for my promise - leave all Numeneras we find to them. So, as I am in their debt, please consider that once i find my Son and we go back, this item will belong to them - if this Prism won't take it from us. Same with any other numeneras..... - then he sighted and added - but for now the only numenera i see is this damned room, in which we are floating here above this foggy ground. Avatrol butt knows what hecks we may find when we will "arrive".....

You need it once more? - he stretched his arms, hinting to OOLIN that she may try to do something with it again, if she desires to
Oct 31, 2015 10:46 am
OOLIN is afraid. This octagonal lift is very much like her cell where she was kept a captive, but she is drawn to the device in Zinobia's hand like a moth to a flame. And this Zinobia seems desperate to find his son. He may be brusque and not at all like T'Jekyll who is gentle and kind towards her but something in her wants to help him. She looks him in the eye and speaks loud enough for all to hear: "Arrived Six Guided by The Prism."
Oct 31, 2015 4:14 pm
T'Jekyll has moved to OOLIN's side, putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder. He's been murmuring to her as well.

"What I've seen, if they were bad, they would have attacked us by now..." T'Jekyll glances around at the group again. "These just look like Steadfast people on a journey, to me, maybe hunting numenera. Not monsters, and not out to get us." He sighs. "Not Aeon Priests, either. Looks like our quest isn't ended that easily..."

When OOLIN gets into her reverie about her captivity and says her cryptic comment about The Prism, T'Jekyll rubs her shoulders in the way that calms her, and strokes the back of her head, staying behind her so that, if she goes into another flashback seizure, he'll catch her as he's done before. She hasn't done this for a while, and they'd both hoped she was past that. While he does this automatically, T'Jekyll watches Zinobia closely, ready to spring into action despite his reasoning about the motives of the rest of the party.
Oct 31, 2015 11:01 pm
Soundtrack is here >>>>SOUNDTRACK

Few long moments after OOLIN voiced that strange sentence the "compass" thing released very faint chirping sounds and after that came powerful sonic wave.
The party felt it by their own bodies, as the wave passed throught them. Shaking their guts it went outwards from the "compass", and then, at same fashion, returned back, into this black strange numenera.

Few seconds later it's screen became white, releasing potent beam of light upwards, and then the blinding white light changed to some colorful picture, which, probably was some kind of map:

If your character wants to look on this screen you need to click link below. You can zoom in too.
I will put it in Octagonpedia as long as party have access to it, and will update it if the screen will change.

{LOOK AT THE AMBASSADOR'S SCREEN}.

Zinobia was so excited and mesmerized by the "show" so he even left his mouth unshut, and continued to examine the map with his eyes, keeping silence.

The room was already close to the ground, as the edges of the building below them appeared at bottom of the glass walls. The room emitted "pfff" sound and dived into this building, passing it's the black roof. The room landed very softly.

Once it stopped the walls around the room completely dissapeared, and opened way towards eight different passages - each one to different octant - they were separated by the walls, probably ones that become same walls the party saw from above.
Right beyond room's edge the floor had colorful floor blocks - each one on way towards diferent octant. The block had the shape of stripe, and each one of those stripes had different color and emitted faint colorful light around it , in particular order: Purple, Green, Red, Yellow, Cyan, Brown, Dark Blue and Orange.

Outside, from all directions was swampy natural landscape. There were visible artificial, narrow trail passages made of material which had very light, almost white gray color. Each of octants had one trail which led into it's foggy maw.
No people, or animals around. There were almost absolute silence , so two parties - now one - were able to hear each one's breathing.

The colorful stripes blinked once. The fog outside was thick and was moving slowly, enveloping the "landing pad" structure.

This is round which allow discussion (2 posts per character). But all players posts required in order to advance. (Minimum 1 post per player)

PS Ronna search was not sucessful, and then she got distracted by what happened in the center of the room
Nov 1, 2015 6:15 am
OOLIN gazes at the map. She whispers, "Does anyone understand those symbols?"

OOLIN speaks to the Ambassador again, "UNDERSTOOD: THE TRUTH" She pauses before adding, a little tentatively, "HINTED URGE."

The Truth is the name of the language most commonly spoken in this game setting, yes?
Last edited November 1, 2015 7:37 am

Rolls

Intellect - attempting to decypher those map symbols [applying no effort] - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Nov 1, 2015 7:01 am
Extending current turn as necessary reaction to OOLIN invocations, this just extends this turn, adding more to it.

As OOLIN invoked the first sentence, the artifact released another, weaker sonic wave. It, as before passed through party members, and then returned, and everyone felt light tingling in their minds, as someone gently reading and invoking random words from their memories.
The wave returned back, and then immidiately the screen changed abit, providing new picture:
{LOOK AT THE AMBASSADOR'S SCREEN}.

Once OOLIN called second invocation, another wave of tremendous power gone through room, causing little tremor around.

Everyone feels that something or someone scanning them, and trying read their feelings, emotions and body structure. It transmitted gentle, caring feeling though, trying to explain that it is (or just trying to pose as) benefactor.

Everyone have choice - to accept this strange gentle invasion and see what will happen to him or to combat it (Roll Difficulty 3 Int Defence roll, Nyom can roll Might roll, Anyone can apply effort, and training in required defence apply.
OOLIN CAN NOT ROLL.)

GM Instrusion - OOLIN > OOLIN can not roll, and will get the results as she is accepted by default. She can spend XP point though and deny this or accept and recieve XP rewards

I will require everyone's turn.
Nov 1, 2015 7:40 am
Quote:
GM Instrusion - OOLIN > OOLIN can not roll, and will get the results as she is accepted by default. She can spend XP point though and deny this or accept and recieve XP rewards.
OOLIN will accept.
Nov 1, 2015 9:04 am
Ronna narrows her eyes and presses her palm against her forehead, feeling the intrusion. She instinctively fights it, trying to force the invasion out of her mind while her eyes dart around the room, looking for a place to hide.

Rolls

Intellect Defense - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Nov 1, 2015 4:16 pm
T'Jekyll has been having visions periodically for months and is somewhat accustomed to these mental intrusions; he does not fight it.

He looks again at the Ambassador and nods gratefully at OOLIN for activating the translation. "Well, I don't know where the Priests would have gone, but I know that the ARCHAEI direction is most interesting to me. I wonder what 'Ratanis' means?" He gazes into OOLIN's eyes, trying to connect with her and not get lost in the sense of immense depth that is sometimes there. "What do you think, OOLIN? Does any direction call to you?" He looks around at the rest of the group. "What about the rest of you? Which section do you want to try? Zinobia, do you have any sense of which direction your son is?"
Nov 1, 2015 10:27 pm
Having had more than her share of invasive powers over the last day Nyom will try her best to defend against the latest assault on her mind.

Rolls

Might Defense - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Nov 2, 2015 1:22 am
Mandoric is still mentally worn down from the adventures of recent days. So rather than resisting the apparently well-meaning intrusion, he instead welcomes it, and tries to establish some mental rapport with whoever or whatever is trying to scan him. Greetings. We come in peace for trade and mutual benefit is the message he tries to send out.

Mandoric seems to have three abilities which could potentially apply here: Numenera, pleasant social interaction, and mind-altering abilities. Can they be stacked? I'll just add 3 to the roll for now, but if I can add in the other abilities then I'd like to.
Last edited November 2, 2015 1:24 am

Rolls

Pleasant social interaction - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Nov 2, 2015 6:38 am
Ronna, Nyom and Mandoric resisted "gentle and lingering" intrusion into their minds without alot of effort.

Mandoric addition>
Mandoric attempted to contact it, this thing, that lingered and explored his own self, but it was primal. It wanted to thrive, to control, to possess and consume. It wanted to be his fate... And it dived deep in, raising things, memories he hid very deep in his subcounciousness... fears, horrors, joys and desires....... Suddenly he felt his Seskii - his loyal friend worried... Seskii was aware of Mandorric's "guests".... about whats going on, and it was very worried and unsettled about it..... and then.... He felt normal again. Nothing was inside. He was Mandoric. No lingering things inside of his brain and body playing with his well-hidden emotions.
.. but his Seskii. He understood that his contact with his pet is severed.... it is not working... Seskii became fierce, primal....

Strange thing happened to Mandoric Seskii as it went to Zinobia and started hissing on him angrilly. It was cautiously angry. It prepeared to jump on Zinobia, prepearing to stop him if he does something the animal won't like.

Then suddenly T'Jekyll, OOLIN and Zinobia started to move.

OOLIN rushed quickly towards the passage with cyan, almost turquoise stripe, and then stopped.

BlackStork sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Nov 2, 2015 6:40 am
T'jekyll made few steps towards the passage with purple stripe on the floor and then turned back, his eyes emitted confusion
\

BlackStork sent a note to spaceseeker19
Zinobia, with shocked and excited expression made few steps towards passage with the brown stripe and said loudly:
"It gave me! I accepted the help! It guiding me, there !!!! - and he pointed towards fog wall in "brown" octant. "Did you heard? Please, he is there, you coming?" - excited and at same time confused he turned back towards the "brown" octant, and then back, checking party's reaction, and eyeing suspiciously Mandoric Seskii, which came closer to him and OOLIN, who was not far from him, on edge of the room, near the passage which led to "turquoise" octant.

New Turn - 1M 1T - requires turn of everyone
Nov 2, 2015 7:26 am
T'Jekyll forces himself to take the few steps over to OOLIN to take her hand; he tries to take strength from that contact, looking into her eyes searchingly. He'll go, but he won't go without her. "Come with me...or I'll go with you."

spaceseeker19 sent a note to BlackStork

Rolls

Resisting the pull to join OOLIN - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Nov 2, 2015 9:10 am
OOLIN accepted the guidance willingly but she doesn't want to lose control, to be a puppet. Not again. She fights, drawing strength from T'Jekyll's presence.
Last edited November 2, 2015 9:12 am

Rolls

Resisting - (1d20)

(13) = 13

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.