Prologue: Paying Your Debts

load previous
Jul 3, 2015 2:29 am
Seeing Kai getting bit, I turn to the creature dumb enough to attack my friend and roar out a string on curses that seem to leap in the air, written in flames 5 feet high before swirling into a shell of fire that encloses the werewolf before bursting.
OOC: Casting hellish rebuke at the wolf on Kaiakas, it has to make a dex saving throw DC 12 for half damage

Rolls

Hellish Rebuke damage - (2d10)

(710) = 17

Jul 3, 2015 2:31 pm
Sensing the time to act, Zaris sends another bolt of icy energy to the wolf engaged with Gnarl. "To the Seven Hells with you!" he adds with gusto.

Rolls

Ray of frost - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Cold damage - movmt to 10' per round if a hit. - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Jul 3, 2015 4:42 pm
Corban cursed as his blade bit into the wolf. He'd struck many a foe with his trusty sword, and with it being enlarged, he knew that it should be causing more damage than it was, that silvering might have been useful after all...
Oh well, only one way forward. Corban though to himself. He raised his sword and swung it in a wide slash at the huge wolf engaged with him.
Last edited July 3, 2015 4:43 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Damage w/ Longsword - (1d8, 1d4+5)

1d8 : (8) = 8

1d4+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Jul 6, 2015 12:44 pm
In the fury of combat the two smaller wolves fall to the ground, killed by fire and ice respectively. Corban lays into the big wolf as she takes another chunk out of his side. The two are engaged in a heated melee.

Rurik's spell hits and kills the small wolf
The other small wolf hits Gnarl for 3
The big wolf hits Corban for 6
Zaris hits and kills the other small wolf
Corbin hits the big wolf for 8

Reina, Gnarl, Rurik and Kaiakas are up
Jul 6, 2015 12:45 pm
Gnarl shuffles up beside Corban and stabs at the she-wolf with his silvered blade, but she weaves to the side and the attack misses.

Gnarl misses the big wolf
Jul 7, 2015 2:08 pm
As the smaller wolves drop lifeless to the ground, a haze eminates from their corpses swirling into the air before gliding over to me. I breathe in the smoke, savoring it before breathing it back out. The smoke exits my mouth thicker and darker but stays around me circling like a protective shell. So emboldened, my eyes almost glow as I look to the large wolf and send a blast of eldritch energy toward it.
OOC: Dark One's Blessing gives me (I believe) 3 temporary hit points for dropping an enemy

Rolls

Eldritch Blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Damage, if it hits - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Jul 8, 2015 11:33 am
Rurik's blast hits the wolf, leaving a black scorch on her fur.

Reina steps up beside Corban and lays into the were- with all of her weight and power. The axe sinks in and leaves a nasty gash in the werewolf's side.

Rurik hits for 3 Damage. Reina hits for 6 Damage.

Kaiakas is up
Jul 8, 2015 11:50 am
With the two smaller wolves down, I charge the larger wolf-woman from behind, silver blade glinting as I strike at her.
[OOC: What a waste, giving me the silver compound.]
Last edited July 8, 2015 11:52 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Damage - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Jul 8, 2015 3:32 pm
Kaiakas swings at the werewolf but she ducks under the silvered blade and lunges at him in a reckless, sacrificial final attack. The paladin is overwhelming by the sudden surge of aggression as she lands atop him and drives him to the ground, her claws and fangs tearing at his exposed flesh.

Kaiakas is hit for 5 and 6 damage respectively (bite and claw), and is prone.

All attacks against the werewolf have Advantage. Everyone's up.
Jul 8, 2015 3:49 pm
Corban takes a deep breath, gathering his strength, then annoyed, he looks at the wolf below.

"Hey!" Corban yells at the Wolf, "I wasn't done with you! Your meal is up here!" He scowls and swings his enlarged longsword in an upward slash, hoping to at least pull the beast off of Kaiakas if not slay the beast outright.

He then surges forth, eager to be done with this huge beast. Swinging his longsword again.

EDIT: Damage for my longsword is most assuredely NOT d20 +5... woops
Last edited July 8, 2015 3:58 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Attack - advantage roll - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage with Longsword - (1d8+5, 1d4)

1d8+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d4 : (3) = 3

Second Wind - Healz - (1d10+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Actions surge, attack #2 - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Actions surge, damage 2 - (1d20+5, 1d4)

1d20+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d4 : (2) = 2

Action surge damage - (1d8+5, 1d4)

1d8+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

1d4 : (4) = 4

Jul 8, 2015 4:07 pm
Corban's sudden, and vicious assault, lifts the beast off of Kaiakas and tosses her sprawling into the dirt. Without hesitation he steps up and drives his blade through her chest, pinning the now-lifeless body to the ground. It takes some effort to free the enlarged blade from both, but in time he recovers the weapon.

Battle finished!
Jul 8, 2015 4:10 pm
As the adrenaline begins to fall and you tend your wounds, Gnarl searches the werewolf corpse. He removes a leather pouch and hands it to Corban, "This, I think, should be ample reward for your efforts." Inside the pouch is a worn map depicting a ruined castle in the Elsir Vale. The notes around the edges suggest that, in the ruins of this Vraath Keep is a hidden vault.
Jul 8, 2015 7:47 pm
Zaris runs over to the body of Corban's victim and begins inspecting the nature of the wounds. "Fascinating!" he says with a wide grin.
Jul 8, 2015 8:11 pm
"Well then, that wasn't so bad, was it?" He says, wiping the blood off of his massive sword before offering a hand to Kaiakas on the ground.

"She was sure into you Kai, were you holding out on some pork chops in your pockets or something?" Before Kaiakas can take him too seriously, Corban holds up his hand submissively. "I jest, it looks like she got both of us pretty good"

"Find anything good down there Z? I don't suppose werewolf drool is a useful component for anything is it?"

He finally turns back to Gnarl, "Where did you get this map? It looks worth checking out, vaults usually hold shiny things, and Zaris loooves shiny things. Especially OLD shiny things"
Jul 8, 2015 9:04 pm
"It was mine, originally. But the wolves confiscated in a raid on my tower during the last full moon. After that I planted the fungi to prevent it happening again. I had planned to follow it up on it, before I was afflicted. It came in to my possession when a group of adventurers not unlike yourselves traded it to me for some healing solutions. Days later I was bit by a wererat and I've not thought of it since. You might be able to make good on it though. It's a terrible shame when wealth is left buried and forgotten."
Jul 9, 2015 3:42 pm
The inn keeper was relieved to learn of your discovery at the tower. She was less happy to know you left the wererat alive, but your report of Gnarl's disposition calmed her fears. Gnarl would introduce himself to her shortly after you departed, and during the moonless weeks when he was more in control of his form, he would become a regular at the inn. His alchemical skills would earn him a place nearer to civilized life than he had been since his infection. Of course, you would never know this, for you set off on the road with a map and a drive to seek fortune and adventure.

Your only lead a scrap of a treasure map indicating Vraath Keep, the mountains and woodland surrounding it, a note about a small town called Drellen's Ferry to the southeast and the words 'Elsir Vale' scrawled in big letters along the bottom, you did what anyone with some sense would do - you set out for the nearest major city and sought out a cartographer. It wasn't cheap, but you managed to secure for yourselves a map of the Elsir Vale (it also wasn't expensive, and as such it wasn't complete). According to the landmarks on your treasure map, Vraath Keep was located somewhere in the woods between Drellen's Ferry and Skull Gorge.

The next step in your journey was Brindol, where you stopped briefly to resupply before heading directly for Drellen's Ferry. It was in Bridal where Reina regretfully informed you that she would not be able to continue on together. She had pressing business to attend elsewhere in the Vale and insisted that it was important for her to attend to it alone. Regretfully, you shared one last drink and she told you the truth of the story you'd heard a few days back about Xena, the Barbarian and the lava pit. The truth was less elaborate and fanciful than the bard's tale, but in the truth was more evidence that Xena would be a welcome and valuable asset to your haphazard band of treasure seekers.

Rurik, too, had a true tale to tell of Xena. A story he waited to share until Reina had departed. It was, he suspected, not a matter of coincidence that the nearer to the Vale you had travelled the more frequent the tales and exploits of Xena were coming up in pubs and taverns you stopped at...
Jul 9, 2015 5:16 pm
"I for one would like to find something to go along with this were-drool. I may be able to turn it into a potion of invisibility if my notes are correct," Zaris says getting up from the wolf's body and turning towards his companions.
Jul 9, 2015 5:56 pm
"Zaris, you really need to show my that Shield spell sometime, did you see how badly that she-wolf bit me? Or I guess I could just carry one, I always hated how much they restrict air flow"

You do not have permission to post in this thread.