Prologue: Paying Your Debts

load previous
Jun 20, 2015 11:34 pm
Kaiakas nods slightly, not breaking eye contact or lowering his hands. "We apologize for the intrusion. We are merely investigating reports of ominous howling coming from this area. ... Would you happen to know anything about that?"
[OOC: Using Insight skill to determine the wererat's honesty.]

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Jun 20, 2015 11:53 pm
He takes a cautionary step backwards, clearly he is afraid, "I am of the wrong constitution to do any 'howling'..." He looks from Kaiakas to each of his companions then back to the paladin, "But I am not the only of my kind in these woods. The wolfbloods are very territorial. I have made myself safe here, secured by their fear of the fungus... and usually the bats keep curious adventuring types away. The wolfbloods prowl takes them thought the clearing the tower is in."
Jun 21, 2015 12:15 am
Wolfbloods. The paladin's demeanor softened a bit at the mention of the word. He slowly lowered his arms to his side and gave the wererat a small bow. "Thank you. Where might we find these wolfbloods?"
Jun 21, 2015 12:44 am
The wererat thinks for a minute, then sniffs the air, "They usually pass by the tower in the early evening, after the sun has set and they have begun their hunt. They will be by soon." He pauses for a moment, but before anyone else can speak he says, "You don't plan on hunting them do you? You don't seem very well... prepared."
Jun 21, 2015 1:23 am
Kaiakas looked at the group and their armaments, curious what the wererat could mean. The connection between the disappearances and wolfbloods was grim. "It may very well come to that, yes. What would you suggest ... sir?" Realizing he had no name by which to call the wererat, he would make it a point to ask for a name before they left.
Jun 21, 2015 2:54 am
"You know very little about your prey." He sheathes his blade, "Not a very sound hunting tactic. Lucky you found me, and we have a common interest." He walks over to his workbench and picks up a vial filled with a silvery powder, "I'll help. I hope my aid convinces you that I am not a threat." He tosses the vial to Kaiakas, "Silver. You need silver. I just figured the formula out for that compound this past fortnight. It isn't silver, but a synthetic mixture that has all of the relevant properties of silver which halt the regenerative abilities of those with the were-affliction. There's enough there to coat a single weapon, or ten arrows or crossbow bolts. In giving it to you, I'm trusting you won't turn around and use it to cut me down." He grabs two potion bottles off the table and tosses them over as well, "A peace offering. One makes you larger and one makes you small."

Kaiakas now has a Vial of Silvering, Potion of Growth and Potion of Diminution
Jun 22, 2015 1:39 am
Upon mention of the silver compound, Zaris's eyes widened. He quickly sheathed his weapon and pulled his notes from his pack and began scribbling frantically. "I just read about a silver tincture made by Alezar the Aged from Waterdeep!" he added in obvious excitement? "How have you mixed them together?" The wizard opens his book to the page in his book and presents it to the wererat.
Jun 22, 2015 11:32 am
The wererat shakes his head, "Enough secrets have been shared for one day. I've already told you how to defeat my kind and I've just met you." He sniffs the air again, "The moon is high and I can smell the wolfbloods drawing near. If this is your course, we should return to the grove and engage them." After he speaks he moves towards his bed and reaches under the rough wooden frame, pulling out a bundle of cloth. He unwraps the bundle, revealing a sheathed blade. He pulls it partially from its scabbard and inspects it quickly, and you notice that it glimmers much more brightly than steel. It is a silver weapon. He straps it to his side and nods, "I will follow your lead and your orders."
Jun 22, 2015 12:43 pm
Busy inspecting the vials as Zaris conversed with the wererat, Kaiakas saw the new-found companion arm himself and so the paladin reached his hand out. "And by what name shall we call you, friend?"
Jun 22, 2015 1:08 pm
"I don't recall what I was called before the curse, but the wolfbloods have taken to calling me Gnarl. So, you may do the same."
Jun 22, 2015 2:54 pm
"Well met Gnarl, It'll be good to have your blade by our side for the coming battle. So gentlemen, and Reina, and... " he looks at Gnarl questioningly, then shakes his head and moves on. "Who's silvering their blade? I presume that vial only covers one. I'd be willing to enlarge myself and keep their attention on me if no one has a better plan. "
Jun 23, 2015 12:23 am
Zaris continued to press Gnarl about the silver compound. "But I could perhaps find a way to improve upon it. I don't think we have enough for all of us to use in battle, do we?"

Zaris wrote notes in his book frantically, oblivious to Gnarl's firm reply to his initial request.
Jun 23, 2015 10:13 am
Gnarl shakes his head again and simply ignores Zaris' argument. To the question, however, he responds, "No not enough. One weapon, or ten arrows or bolts. I should also mention, as you seem to be so inclined, that magic also bypasses the resistances of my kind. The wolfbloods will be in the clearing shortly, we should establish a plan and set it into motion before we miss the opportunity and have to hunt them."
Jun 23, 2015 3:15 pm
Kaiakas motions for the group to make their way outside. When they are on their way, he walks beside Gnarl, discussing tactics and such. "How long will this vial affect my blade? I don't want it to fade away in the middle of battle. Ah, speaking of which, might you know the pack size? The thought of being outnumbered does not sit well with me."
Jun 23, 2015 9:17 pm
"A splendid plan!" Zaris stated with glee. "Now how many companions would you like around you Corban? I could fit a hundred of them in a five foot space at your feet." Zaris caught himself and then frowned. "Perhaps just the illusion of a fire then?"
Jun 23, 2015 9:21 pm
"Ah, good call. The fire might make the beasts hesitate long enough for me to be able to throw back the potion. So, if there are no objections, I say we get up there and get this done, so we can go tear up some other tavern with a less sadistic patron."
Jun 23, 2015 9:26 pm
Zaris nodded in agreement and quickly pulled a piece of fleece from his pouch and began softly chanting the words of his spell.
Jun 23, 2015 9:44 pm
Kaiakas looked at Corban, confused by the warrior's comment. "Surely you cannot think the gnome knew what we would be facing. Besides, one should be honored for protecting innocents." A bit more smugness came out than the Tiefling meant to convey.
Jun 24, 2015 3:26 am
Upon reaching the main floor Gnarl sniffs the air and nods, "They are near. They will be able to smell us, so don't count on an ambush. I small three, but the pack leader is amongst them and he's worth five of us in ferocity and power. And Zaris, the synthetic silver will last at least an hour. You've no worry about it wearing off. Come, let's prepare ourselves." He squeezes through the tower entrance and takes up a position around the side of the tower, "My scent is all over the clearing, they won't know I'm actually here. Hopefully that will play to our advantage."
Jun 24, 2015 3:28 am
Reina follows along with the plan as described and positions herself bend some rubble at the side of the tower. It isn't a perfect hiding place, but it will suffice. She prepares her axe and waits patiently for the battle to start.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.