Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Oct 13, 2017 1:18 pm
"Mmm. Appears to be a harvest festival. Not sure who the fellow on the hillock is." muses Felor, trying to recall anything about the seasonal festivals of his homeland. It seemed possible that the festivities would not be that different here in Bload.

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Oct 13, 2017 3:59 pm
Zangua puts on a stoic face, but his eyes absorb the festival like a starved man.
Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm
Mordred manages to make himself look somewhat costumed.

None of you recognize the specific particulars of this festival, but harvest celebrations like this one aren't uncommon throughout the land. Presumably, the wooden figure will be burned as a sacrifice at the end of the festivities. It quite reminds Felor of the Greimadken Festival, where the townsfolk would build an enormous goat effigy and cover it in wildflowers and the High Earl himself would come out to chop off its head and light it ablaze on the third and final night.

The party wanders in closer. A few children gather at the base of the wooden man and throw gourds up at his head, trying to land them in the overfilled basket.

"Come, travelers! Join us in celebration!" says a man walking by, wearing a long-feathered cap and slapping out a beat on a hand drum. He gestures toward a row of benches and cooking pits, where chickens are being spit-roasted and herbed flatbreads are being baked in clay barrel-ovens. There are people there, eating and talking, and a man stands upon one of the benches playing a fast, freewheeling melody on a wooden flute while a young woman and two men laugh as they engage in a heel-kicking, spinning dance.
Oct 13, 2017 5:20 pm
"A chance for revelry, music and dance? My friends, you know you don't need to ask me twice," Domarc says. He plucks a few strings on his lute, waiting to see what the others think.
Last edited October 13, 2017 5:37 pm
Oct 14, 2017 6:52 am
As much as Leth wants to keep moving, it's been quite some time since they allowed themselves to relax, and he realizes just how mentally and physically taxing that's been.

"Perhaps a night of merriment is what we need." He remarks. "We've been through a lot recently and as pressed as we are for time... I don't think stopping to enjoy ourselves a little bit will delay us by any meaningful amount. We could use the break."
Last edited October 14, 2017 6:52 am
Oct 14, 2017 7:03 am
"Just be mindful of the Crown," mutters Zangua, though his feet already take him to flatbreads.
Oct 14, 2017 8:33 pm
The party takes some time to enjoy the fair, each member gravitating to some aspect that particularly appeals to them.

Zangua and Mordred head toward the cookfires, buying bread and roasted meat and sweet wine to start with. There are, as well, tarts and cakes made with tree fruits and squashes and nuts, golden ales, and so on. The townsfolk are friendly and in good spirits, introducing themselves freely, offering welcome to Folderey (the town's name), and showing no particular fear of Mordred, although it's hard to say if his pretense of being costumed is the reason for that.

Domarc soon finds himself joining a trio of musicians: a man with a long salt-and-pepper beard who plays a low-tone bone flute, a dwarf woman (not of the humanoid race, but a human of unusually short stature) with an elaborate timbrel, and a young, long-haired man with a lyre. Domarc finds that he improvises quite well and quite naturally with them, though he knows none of the tunes in their repertoire, and is given much free food and drink from appreciative fairgoers between songs.

Leth spends some time eating with Zangua and Mordred and watching Domarc play, then wanders over to the vendor stalls where various crafts and trinkets and goods are being sold. There's a trembling man with gray-hued skin selling fancy, colorful felt caps, an old woman and her three large adult sons whose shelves are filled with hundreds upon hundreds of clay idols of all the myriad gods of Bload, a perfumer who offers to create a unique signature scent for Leth, never to be smelled anywhere else in all the Werld, for a mere five pieces of silver, a maker of tin and copper housewares who sings as he hammers his wares into shape, and much more.

Felor, meanwhile, finds himself drawn to the wooden figure. A child offers him a small round pumpkin and tells him to throw it into the figure's head. Felor tosses it up and lands it right on top, knocking a few other gourds loose to fall into the hay below. The child is terribly excited at Felor's success, jumping and cheering loudly; when he calms down he explains that Felor will have good fortune in the next year. "If you're a child, it means you'll grow a full inch," he says solemnly. "If you're a man grown, it means you'll have a baby. If you're old, it means you get another year of life. So you're going to have a baby next year because you got a punkin in the Bridegroom of Semla's head."

Would anybody like to take any specific actions, ask any questions, or investigate any other parts of the fair?
Oct 16, 2017 11:07 am
Felor grins despite himself, glad to not have been assessed as "old", although gaining an extra year of life likely would have been more comforting at this point. He tussles the child's hair and says "Well, child, since you gave me the gourd to throw, maybe you will grow an inch as well. I think there's more chance of that happening than me having a baby!".
Oct 16, 2017 3:27 pm
In between songs and drinks, Domarc would like to see if he can learn anything about Hazard and if anyone has heard anything about what might be going on there.
Oct 16, 2017 6:25 pm
A gray-haired but sprightly singer with braids in his beard is the first person Domarc manages to find who has heard rumors from Hazard. "I don't pass through Hazard, no. That city takes a piece of your soul to keep every time you step through its gates. But I came through the villages sou'river on my way here and the rumors are deliciously strange! As I heard it sang, the Hierophant's lady lover was abducted by a sorcerer who's bent the very winds of the cold north to his will. He sent an entire legion to rescue her and only a single man came back alive, the rest turned to ice and shattered like old pottery!"

Domarc searches for corroboration of the singer's story, and talks to a winemaker who confirms that the Hierophant has fallen into deep disfavor in Hazard over some martial mishap that took place somewhere to the north, but he knows none of the details.

The singer returns to Domarc later with a third source, a man wandering the fair with a long curved pipe who sells dried herbs and performs tricks with smoke rings. "Twas a dragon abducted the Hierophant's paramour and slew the venturing army," he offers.

The singer stands slightly behind him and shrugs comically. "I don't believe it, but that makes a better song!" he says. "I'll have to compose my own version."
Oct 16, 2017 7:02 pm
"Dragons, pshaw!" Domarc says, but inwardly feels a chill, remembering the Dragonborn that was present during the fight in Hazard. "But paramours and powerful men make for great songs, and the audience knows the truth of things no matter the details. It sounds like I'll find no shortage of tales to learn in Hazard!"

Over the course of the festivities, Domarc will try to catch other members of the group and warn them that it sounds like the Heirophant has not had much success in our absence.
Oct 18, 2017 9:52 am
"The entire legion, destroyed... Unfortunate, although perhaps not unexpected. The abduction was a ruse to lure Hazard's forces out of the city," Felor says, looking grim-faced at Domarc's report. "Then Hazard is truly defenceless. Should something come through that portal, there will be no army to stop it."
Oct 18, 2017 5:25 pm
"As fun and diverting as this festival is," Domarc says, tuning up his lute and getting ready to play again, "tomorrow we must be ready to press on quickly."
Oct 18, 2017 5:37 pm
Zangua says in passing, hand full of flatbread, on his way to the flagons, "Don't forget the wet wizard. He's probably got folk lookin' for us."
Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm
Memory jogged by Zangua, Domarc performs "White Wizard" about some wizard from an old tale

Hey little hobbit what have you done?
Hey little hobbit whose the only one?
Hey little hobbit who's your Istari?
Hey little hobbit who's the one you want?
Hey little hobbit - Balrog!

It's a nice day to start again
It's a nice day for a white wizard
It's a nice day to start again
Last edited October 18, 2017 6:22 pm
Oct 19, 2017 2:41 pm
Mordred thinks he once had an idol of that white wizard.

We've heard of Semla before, I think. Does anyone else remember that?
Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm
Quote:
Unfortunate, although perhaps not unexpected. The abduction was a ruse to lure Hazard's forces out of the city,
"I'm quite sure it was the planned attempt to rescue Martjan and assault the pointed hat stronghold," Domarc says. "Whatever the case, the Heirophant - who seems to be our only ally in the city - is weakened."
Oct 20, 2017 3:48 pm
Probably no updates until next week. I am sorry. I will definitely be back though.
Oct 20, 2017 5:19 pm
Take it easy and thanks for the update!

We'll just talk amongst ourselves :)
Oct 20, 2017 11:05 pm
Prompt: is there anything else you guys would like to do at the festival while your DM is on semi-hiatus?
load next

Thread locked