Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Oct 23, 2017 8:37 am
OOC:
That's what we get for not going on the rescue mission! ...fighting dinosaurs and a djinn was fun though.

What do those felt caps look like? The first thing that popped into my head was something robin hood-esque
Leth's pleasant demeanor he had gained by being around the festival once again begins to give way to weariness as they discuss the events in Hazard.

"I knew it wouldn't have been an easy mission, but... an entire legion." He shakes his head. "I hope this information we got on Vorch was worth it."
Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm
The felt caps come in various styles, but certainly, there is some Robin Hoodish stuff.

As sunset draws near, a procession sets forth from the bailey, following a dirt path down to the center of the town. Many of the festivalgoers stop what they're doing to line up alongside the path and watch.

There are about two dozen people making their way down, all dressed in white. The central figure seems to be an older man riding a donkey, with an elaborate paper crown resembling donkey ears upon his head. "A good year! A good lord!" the people shout as he passes them. He waves to them, a somber smile upon his face, as the procession heads toward the wooden man on the mound.
Oct 23, 2017 4:03 pm
an older man riding a donkey, with an elaborate paper crown resembling donkey ears

Is it six-pointish at all?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Oct 23, 2017 4:03 pm
Zangua says nothing as the procession passes by. He watches the man carefully, then ever so slightly lifts his mug in a salute.
Oct 23, 2017 5:43 pm
The paper crown does not resemble the symbol of the Six-Pronged Crown.
Oct 23, 2017 6:01 pm
Mordred moves quietly through the crowd, following the procession as close to the mound as possible, without being obvious.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+9)

(5) + 9 = 14

Oct 23, 2017 6:07 pm
Domarc will fall in with the crowd and follow along.
Oct 23, 2017 6:28 pm
Zangua remains with the tankards, silently reflecting on the crowned man and his own mortality.
Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am
Felor narrows his eyes and examines the wooden man again, an unpleasant idea circulating at the back of his mind.

How big is the wooden man, and is it... hollow?
Oct 24, 2017 3:56 pm
There are certainly hollows within it, as there were clucking chickens inside.

The procession stops in front of the wooden man, and the ass-eared lord dismounts. Three children step forward from the crowd. One holds a sheaf of grain, another a sickle, and the third an unlit torch.

The shouts from the gathered crowd coagulate into a chant. "A GOOD YEAR! A GOOD LORD! A GOOD YEAR! A GOOD LORD!"
Oct 24, 2017 4:34 pm
A chilling thought grasps Mordred. Are they going to sacrifice these children? He has heard that certain gods demand it, but does Semla? If human sacrifice is in the offing, what should he do? What will his friends do?

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Oct 24, 2017 4:40 pm
A tumbleweed blows dustily through Mordred's recollection of the worship practices of the Semla cult.
Oct 24, 2017 4:50 pm
Zangua leans back, props his elbow against a fence or suitable alternative, and watches from afar. He takes a sip from the flagon.
Oct 26, 2017 4:14 pm
"You know, this reminds me of the Greimadken Festival back in Jerma. They build a giant goat every year and cover it in flowers, then on the third night the Earl comes down and sets it ablaze. Supposed to bring good luck for the coming harvest, if I recall," Felor muses to the nearby party members (Mordred and Leth?).
Oct 26, 2017 5:02 pm
The lord takes the unlit torch from the child before him and turns to face the statue. "MOTHER SEMLA!" he shouts up at the sky in a loud, raw voice. "YOUR BRIDEGROOM COMES TO YOUR BEDCHAMBER! WILL YOU ACCEPT HIM?"

One of the attendants clad in white discreetly approaches the lord and lights his torch. A cheer goes up from the crowd. The lord and the three children start to pace around the wooden figure's mound in a circle while the crowd joins its voices together to sing a droning song in a language none of you can quite place, swaying back and forth on their feet as they do so.
Oct 27, 2017 1:30 pm
"Felor, do they... put someone inside the goat? I'm concerned that's what's about to happen here."
Oct 27, 2017 2:34 pm
"Human sacrifice?! Oh no, no it's not that sort of thing. I did once hear about a cult that would burn people in that manner, off on some island somewhere. Something to do with bees I think. But in this case it might just be those chicken's they're sacrificing. Maybe that's dinner."
Oct 27, 2017 5:54 pm
And in the end, not even the chickens were sacrificed. The children climbed up onto the wooden statue (a tense moment, for Mordred) and released them before the lord set the Bridegroom alight.

After the burning, the lord returned swiftly to his keep, on foot, leaving the donkey behind to wander among the revelers. The drinking and dancing went on well into the night.

At dawn, the party awakes, having slumbered with a number of other hung over festivalgoers under one of the empty vendor tents.

Felor sits up and sees a lone figure in white standing on the burned heap where the Bridegroom of Semla stood the night before. The person stands there for a long moment, then turns and looks directly at Felor, seeming to stare directly at him even from the considerable distance. Then the figure turns abruptly away and descends from the mound, taking to the path that leads back up to the whitewashed bailey and the lord's keep.

Are you all ready to continue on the road to Hazard?
Oct 27, 2017 6:01 pm
Zangua laid down with a buxom barmaid last night, but he wakes this morning with a pot-bellied pig. He does not seem surprised, rather almost resigned to the fact that it happened. Again.
OOC:
Ready to go.
load next

Thread locked