Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Dec 12, 2017 6:04 pm
"If we are to be dinner, let's get on with it. I feel I have marinated enough."
Dec 13, 2017 5:13 pm
Zangua prods a strand, but nothing happens.

Into the spider-infested woodpile, gentlemen?
Dec 13, 2017 6:34 pm
OOC:
Why not? We're supposed to be heroes, and heroes do dumb things like going into caves hidden underneath spider-infested woodpiles. (Although, if we don't come out again, we weren't heroes but fools).
Dec 14, 2017 6:57 pm
Barring any last-minute objections, the dungeon crawl will begin shortly.
Dec 15, 2017 4:45 pm
The party cautiously enters the shelter, descending a wide opening into the earth below that is cluttered with branches, sticks, and piles of dead leaves, and choked with spiderwebs of varying thickness and density. They descend about 50' to an oval chamber about 50' wide and 30' long, from which there are no other apparent exits. The ground is thick with debris, and the sour smell is powerful and revolting here.
Dec 15, 2017 8:20 pm
"Looks like no-one's home." Felor pokes at the cavern walls with his spear to see if there's any hidden exits.

Edit: Investigation is +1 if that's the right check.
Last edited December 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Rolls

Perception? - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Dec 16, 2017 2:48 am
While Felor looks around for other exits or entrances, Leth covers his face with part of his shirt, pulls out an arrow and begins poking around the debris, examining it to see what it might be, fearing what he might discover.

Rolls

investigation - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Dec 16, 2017 7:07 am
Almost by habit, Zangua checks the ceiling for the presence of any openings or means of egress. He primarily keeps an eye out for anything that might approach from the perimeter, standing watch while the others poke around.
Dec 18, 2017 4:51 pm
Felor's spear finds a less-resistant spot in the southwest curve of the wall. Further examination reveals a rounded, hinged door made of sticks and earth bound together with webbing. The party soon finds a second such door on the southeast side.

Leth finds bone fragments in the debris, small animal skeletons, strange blackish red lumps of clotted goo, and a bronze hairpin.
Dec 18, 2017 5:45 pm
"Doors," Domarc says. "I didn't expect doors. Are they locked? Perhaps opening them will be signal to the beasts we've been trying to make."
OOC:
How large are the doors? Medium creature?
Dec 18, 2017 5:54 pm
Zangua shrugs. "Birds make nests outta spit and twigs. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that spiders make doors."
Dec 18, 2017 5:59 pm
Indeed, Zangua.

The doors are about 7' tall.
Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm
"I don't like to think of anything as ugly as a spider building anything beyond a web," Domarc says with a faintly offended tone. "But I cannot deny that it looks likely."

Domarc examines one of the doors closely, trying to see if it would be possible to remove it without alerting anything that might be behind it (signal threads, or something).

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Dec 18, 2017 6:45 pm
While Mordred feels a bit more at home here in the dark below ground, the... organic nature of this cavern turns his stomach a bit. He begins the mental preparations for casting a Fire Bolt spell, should anything jump out at them.

Mordred Readies Fire Bolt, attack and damage rolls are below if needed.

Rolls

Spell attack (Fire Bolt) - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Fire Bolt damage - (2d10)

(12) = 3

Dec 18, 2017 6:56 pm
The door is heavy, and swings outward from a "hinge" of webbing on the left hand side. If there are any threads connected to it on the other side, it would be next to impossible to move the door without pulling or breaking them.
Dec 19, 2017 7:13 am
Leth shudders at the sight of the doors, imagining how large such a spider would have to be to make them.

"I'd honestly prefer it if we could just torch this whole place."
Dec 21, 2017 9:49 am
"Aye, the tunnel spiders in the deserts south of Hafer make trapdoors to ambush prey, but these are... a bit bigger. Perhaps one of us can haul the door open while the rest ready ourselves to attack anything that may lurk inside?"
Dec 21, 2017 3:59 pm
"Is that a suggestion for me?" says Zangua, already stepping towards the webbed blockade. With one hand gripped upon his glaive, he reaches out to the right side of the door. He waits for everyone to prepare themselves before attempting to pull the door open.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+8)

(8) + 8 = 16

load next

Thread locked