Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Feb 21, 2018 9:06 pm
Dozens of spiders, as far as you can see right now. But you could disengage from them easily enough.

BullOctorok sent a note to thedandyman
Feb 21, 2018 9:10 pm
As he scans the room, Leth's eyes narrow and he turns his head to the side for a moment, listening.

"Hang on guys, we've got company behind us!" He announces as he turns around to confirm his suspicions, arrow drawn and ready to fire.

Readying and action: If hostile creatures appear behind us, Leth will shoot them twice.

Rolls

readied attack 1 - (1d20+8, 1d8+4)

1d20+8 : (1) + 8 = 9

1d8+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

readied attack 2 - (1d20+8, 1d8+4)

1d20+8 : (20) + 8 = 28

1d8+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Potential colossus slayer damage if both attacks land - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Feb 21, 2018 9:15 pm
You hear a muttered expletive, and then a raspy voice says, in a calm, measured tone: "Do not attack me. They have roused the dead heart. That which is awakening must be destroyed. You will need my help."
Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm
Leth cautiously lowers his bow, arrow still on the string.

"Help would be welcome right now, yeah. What's this 'dead heart'?"

Rolls

Insight - is this guy really here to help us or nah - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Feb 21, 2018 10:04 pm
"Later is the time for explanations. We should act while it still writhes in confusion." A shadow detaches itself from the tunnel wall and starts to creep forward cautiously.

Leth can't really suss out the raspy-voiced person's intentions.
Feb 21, 2018 10:34 pm
As the newcomer is accosted, Zangua tries to clear the area of spiders and swings his glaive like a broom.

Rolls

Glaive, Slashing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d10+4)

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

1d10+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Extra Attack Glaive, Slashing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d10+4)

1d20+8 : (6) + 8 = 14

1d10+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Bonus Attack Polearm Master, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+8, 1d4+4)

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

1d4+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Feb 22, 2018 9:12 am
"Show yourself!" Felor demands, squinting at the shadow. "Why do you offer help?"
Feb 22, 2018 2:20 pm
Does Mordred's darkvision give him any better perspective on the newcomer or their intentions?

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Perception - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 22, 2018 4:56 pm
While Zangua smashes and dices spiders, Mordred watches the newcomer's approach. The figure is tall, but their overall size is hard to discern, as they are wearing some sort of ghillie suit covered in vines and foliage. Mordred can make out the whites of large human eyes but little else.

"I have been waiting out the Black Beast for a long time," the person says. "You have accelerated my plans."

You see the glint of blades in the person's hands, hanging from their belt, and slung across their body as they draw nearer to Felor's light.

More dirt and spiders fall from the ceiling as the moaning changes in pitch and intensity. Far from aggressive, however, the spiders now scuttle back to the walls.
Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm
"Does accelerate mean that the Beast is coming to us?" Domarc says, glancing down the tunnel.
Feb 23, 2018 11:31 am
Felor sizes up the newcomer. "I know a hunter when I see one. What is this Beast? It's not like any creature I've heard of."
Feb 23, 2018 5:05 pm
"It is a wrong thing upon this land, and it should not be here." The figure moves surprisingly quietly down to the end of the tunnel. He has dark, almost black skin and a shaved head, and wears clothing and shawls covered in camouflaging vegetation. A hand axe with an ornately carved head hangs loosely from his right hand; in his left he holds a curved, broad-bladed throwing knife. A short sword and a dagger are attached to his waist, and two spears are slung across his back. "It comes. Help me to destroy it."
Feb 23, 2018 5:16 pm
"Coming here?" Zangua grunts, flinging spider ichor off his glaive. "Great. Let's get this over with."
Feb 23, 2018 5:36 pm
The hunter gives Mordred a long look, narrowing his eyes slightly, then marches toward the tunnel from which the terrible moaning sounds still emanate.
Feb 23, 2018 5:43 pm
Zangua rolls his eyes, and follows.
Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm
"I guess that's why we came here," Domarc says. "Anything we should know that would make killing it easier?"
Last edited February 23, 2018 5:49 pm
Feb 23, 2018 6:09 pm
Mordred nods deferentially to the hunter as he stares. He also opens his arms and steps back. I mean you no harm, his gestures seem to say. He follows at a distance.
Feb 23, 2018 6:37 pm
The hunter shrugs as he strides down the tunnel. "I have not done battle with a fiend such as this before. We shall learn together."

Foul winds carrying odors of death and old rot buffet you as you follow him down the tunnel. It opens up after a short distance and decline into a vast chamber, 70' wide, into which a thick, tangled column of old roots descends from the ceiling, forming a clotted, sprawling, web-strewn knot in the center of the chamber floor. Brownish-yellow slime drips in ropy strands down the column of roots and bubbles out from bends and cracks in the old wood. The moaning seems to be coming from the dark center of this mass of roots.

The female human squats in front of the tangle of roots, holding her male counterpart by the neck and hair as he lies face down beside her, seemingly trying to push him inside of it. There is blood streaking up her forearms and pooling around them.

To your left, an ancient, mummified human corpse leans against the wall, a pile of viscera and regurgitated blood, some of it fresh and some quite old and decayed, heaped at its feet.

The hunter stops and coolly surveys the scene. "The ritual is incomplete, but it cannot be stopped now. We will wait until the demon has fully manifested." He takes a drinking gourd out from his belt, twists off the top, and takes a long pull. He holds it out, wordlessly offering a drink to the party members.
Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm
Zangua takes the offered gourd and imbibes before passing it along. "Wait, so this ain't the Black Beast? We was told it was active and grabbing people. If this thing is coming out now, where's the beast?"
Feb 23, 2018 6:51 pm
Zangua takes a gulp of a very sweet and bracingly potent liquor. (Who's next?)

The hunter flips his axe in his hand while he watches the woman twist and shove her companion's head around inside the mass of roots. It appears his throat has been cut; at a few points she lets go with one hand to wipe blood on the roots.

"The spider-men you killed -- to the villagers, they are the 'black beast.' But there," he points with his axe, "in there is the dead heart of the true beast. This one, you have put her in a panic, and she awakens it now. The heart quickens. The beast comes. This was not my plan, but we will make the best of it."
load next

Thread locked