Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
May 2, 2018 11:39 pm
Zangua opens his eyes and looks at the hand. He musters enough energy to return the handshake. "Eh, well, you talk like him."
May 3, 2018 8:42 am
Felor joins Zanuga and Garho outside the demon's lair, catching the last part of the conversation. "Fjorgyn smiles on us today!" he says, sounding cheerful but tired. "Many thanks for the assistance, friend," he continues, selecting a piece of dried beef. "Perhaps our meeting today was ordained by the gods."
Do I know anything about Bahanzin?

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

May 3, 2018 1:47 pm
Mordred attempts to conceal his trembling hands as he gnaws on a dried fish.

"We should return to the town to tell them that their troubles with the black beast are at an end. I think we can at least expect a night at the inn for our troubles."
May 3, 2018 4:08 pm
Domarc eyes the dried meat and food with resignation, but grabs a handful.

"Garho, what was that thing down there?"
May 3, 2018 5:33 pm
Felor may have seen the name "Bahanzin" on a list of Haferan gods somewhere, but doesn't know any more about him than that.

Garho answers Domarc: "A maidservant of Lolth. If you do not know the name 'Lolth,' count yourself lucky. She corrupted the druid who was the custodian of these woods. Now his unquiet spirit has been silenced and the maidservant cast back into the Abyss. This thread of her web is severed." He takes his gourd flask, drinks from it, and passes it to Zangua. "You did not come to this place hoping to be rewarded with a night of free lodging. Tell me, who are you people?"
May 3, 2018 5:42 pm
Having rested enough, Zangua moves his tired muscles to accept the flask and the food. He takes a swig and passes it along, or returns it if it goes to no one else.
May 3, 2018 6:52 pm
Felor takes a swig from the flask offered by Zangua. "Who are we... A good question. We are acquaintances drawn together to avenge the unjust death of a friend. By Fjorgyn's will we have been drawn into a plot darker than just mere murder. We journey now to Hazard to prevent foul deeds that endanger a great many lives."
May 3, 2018 7:13 pm
"Cults seem to abound on our journey," Domarc notes. "Though the other one we face seems more...resilient, and they plot the downfall of Hazard - and perhaps all of Bload, before they are done. Tell me, friend Garho, when you wear a hat, does it have many points?"
May 3, 2018 8:07 pm
Garho squints. "A riddle?"
May 3, 2018 8:40 pm
Leth eventually gathers himself and joins the rest of the party, but does not say a word, still trying to understand what happened.
May 4, 2018 8:13 am
BullOctorok says:
Garho squints. "A riddle?"
"Domarc refers to the Six-Pointed Crown. The icon of those who wish Bload ill. Do you know it?"
May 4, 2018 4:48 pm
Garho looks thoughtful. "Well...it's the Six-Pronged Crown, isn't it? I've heard of it, yes. The Record of Aligoon tells of its origins and the exile of the First Servant. They still have adherents on Bload? That's very interesting."
May 4, 2018 5:22 pm
"More than adherents. They are an active threat, and have killed in the pursuit of their goal. Right now, they seek the Iron Sphere of Sthrombo, and I fear they mean to use it to unleash havoc on Hazard as part of their plan."

Domarc grimaces. "But we are in the dark on many things about them, and what they seek; the prophecies of Horgul seem to be part of things, but the few I know are but riddles wrapped in enigmas. The Record of Aligoon, you say? Perhaps we shall seek it out. Direct confrontation with them has not always worked in our favor, and so we have been seeking to understand them and their plans first."
May 4, 2018 5:36 pm
Garho absently nibbles at another dried fish while he listens to Domarc. "I see. And those they've killed include this friend you wish to avenge? The picture becomes clearer. Now, I've never heard of the prophecies of Horgul, or this Iron Sphere of Sthombo. Is it interred with the First Servant?"
May 4, 2018 6:30 pm
"That death we can lay at their feet, yes," Domarc says. "As far as the Sphere, we find ourselves in a race against the pointed hat crew to find and claim it. Right now, it appears we are ahead of them."

Domarc watches Garho closely as he talks.

"And what of you? You say you strayed far from your path to come fight this...servant of Lolth. How did you come to be aware of it, and where does your path lead now?"

Rolls

Insight check - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

May 4, 2018 6:54 pm
Garho folds his hands and smiles. "I go where the river of life takes me. But sometimes, sometimes Bahanzin tells me, 'Garho, you must swim upstream today.' He called me to Bload four years ago. The currents are strange in this land, but I have come to understand why I was sent here. In Malch I slew the Incubus of the Teal House. In Felboc I slew the daemon slaves of the Baezorite witch and doused the flame from which she drew her power. On the Stalking Plains I--forgive me. I grow boastful. It was during a long stay in Gaad that I dreamed of the interloper in these woods. I had been watching, studying, for some time until your presence forced me to take action. Where do I go from here? Bahanzin has not yet told me."

Your Insight check doesn't tell you much.

"As to the Record of Aligoon, you might find it difficult to gain access. It has never been copied, and the manuscript resides with the Coven of Nineteen in Felboc. I was only allowed to read it as a reward for putting an end to the Baezorite's mischief. Of course, my interest was in the story of the Ochre Portal, I must confess that I skimmed much of the recounting of Aligoon's time in Hazard. It likely won't be new information to you, but I will recall what I can of what she wrote about the Six-Pronged Crown, if that will be helpful."
May 4, 2018 7:19 pm
"What is the Ochre Portal? The Six-Pronged Crown's plan involves magical doorways of some kind."
May 4, 2018 7:43 pm
"A gateway to the Abyss, but I doubt the Ochre Portal is part of their plans. It was destroyed by Aligoon herself, centuries ago."
May 7, 2018 2:48 pm
Domarc nods, and says "Whatever you can recall will be of great benefit, I am sure."
May 7, 2018 4:25 pm
Zangua tries to sleep while the others converse.
load next

Thread locked