Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
May 9, 2018 5:13 pm
Zangua is roused and groggily accompanies the party.
OOC:
Ready to go.
May 9, 2018 5:47 pm
Garho bids farewell the party and remains near the woodpile-covered cavern, explaining that he will perform further rituals to cleanse it at daybreak. The party marches on through the woods and the gathering dark.

It's very late at night when you finally return to the Trout and Apple inn. The innkeeper grumbles at the late hour of your arrival and demands payment up front before he'll open the doors for you. "You smell of a sick man's piss," he points out, no doubt referring to the lingering stench of the spiderbeast lair that yet clings to your boots.
May 9, 2018 5:50 pm
Zangua obliges by placing the sole of his boot against the door. "We'll match your decor, then," he grumbles.
May 9, 2018 6:56 pm
"We smell like dead Beast, friend. Your village is free from its predation." He explains in further detail the events of the day and suggests he go and meet Garho at the creature's lair before sunup if he doubts the claim.
Last edited May 9, 2018 6:57 pm
May 9, 2018 8:43 pm
The innkeeper favors Mordred with a blank look of incredulity as he tells his tale. "Ah-hah. I intend to spend the hours between now and sunup in my bed, thank you. It'll be twenty silver for a room and breakfast, and I'll have my girl warm two kettles so you can wash up and boil your clothes."
May 10, 2018 12:52 pm
Mordred sighs and rolls his eyes, and hands the innkeeper five gold pieces. "Two rooms, four kettles, a platter of whatever breads, cold meats, cheeses and fruits you have to hand for my friends, and a plate of marrow bones for myself. Neither you nor any of your staff have seen us. Good night."

Party loot is down to 273 GP, if the Google Doc is still up to date.
Last edited May 10, 2018 12:55 pm
May 10, 2018 3:10 pm
Quote:
Party loot is down to 273 GP, if the Google Doc is still up to date.
On the gold front it should be, I think some of the potions might have been snagged. I'll do some back checking.
May 10, 2018 3:32 pm
The innkeeper looks at the gold, then at Mordred, then back at the coins, and steps aside to let the party through the door. "As you say. Come in."

You walk into the common room. The innkeeper disappears into the ground floor quarters, and a few moments later, the barmaid from earlier comes out, eyes still half-shut. But she does recognize the party. "You're back. How was the hunt?"
May 10, 2018 5:41 pm
"Terrible, but we found it. Big demon," says Zangua, his feet dragging on the floor. At the mention of food, he waves his hand dismissively. "Save mine. I'm just gonna sleep." He tries to find his room.
May 10, 2018 6:09 pm
"You did, really?" the barmaid says, not sounding entirely convinced. Zangua wanders upstairs, finds an empty room, and lays himself down to sleep. The barmaid gets to work in the kitchen, starting fires and filling kettles. As soon as they're set up, she loads a tray with leftover food and brings it out for the rest of the party.

"There's a washroom in the back," she says. "You can clean up in there as soon as the water's hot. So what did the beast look like? Did it put up much of a fight?" There's still skepticism in her voice, but you can tell she isn't quite sure what to make of the condition you all came back in.
May 10, 2018 6:36 pm
"'Twas more than just a beast," Domarc says. "Spiders we slew, and those that it had changed people into twisted, horrible spidermen - those were your Black Beasts that stalked the forest. They but served the true horror; something from beyond our world that they wanted to wake from its slumber, to summon it forth to full waking from the tangled knot of roots in which it reposed, to which end they hastened upon our arrival.

Hideous it was, a thing of slime and other horrors. Many arms it stretched forth to grasp and attack. But a single eye it had, orange yellow and baleful was its glare. The stare of that eye could throw men into madness, bewitching them so they would do its twisted bidding. It summoned forth shadows of the dead as well, stealing strength and life from our tired friend, Zangua - who nevertheless stood strong in front of it and attacked again and again, while Leth, our bowman rained death upon it and Mordred, ever fearless, danced in and struck with his blades. Felor called upon his god, and his pure faith kept the shadows from overtaking these brave men..."

Domarc regales her with the tale of the battle.
Last edited May 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Rolls

Perform - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

May 10, 2018 7:14 pm
Sleepy as she may be, Domarc holds the barmaid's interest with his tale of the battle. "What a fantastic story," she says at the end, impressed if still not quite sold on the veracity. "Did you bring back proof?"
May 11, 2018 10:02 am
"Well... the demon dissolved into ash when we banished it. Not much to bring back."

Should've hacked off a spider-monster leg...
May 11, 2018 12:18 pm
"Garho - the demon hunter Domarc mentioned - will be at the cave until dawn. You could send someone to meet him if you like."
May 11, 2018 2:41 pm
"Time will also prove the truth of our tale," Domarc says, shrugging. "The Beast won't be taking any more people in the forest. At the least, you have a tale to tell."
May 11, 2018 2:51 pm
"I'll send my loyal retainers," the barmaid says, laughing as she heads to the kitchen to tend the kettles.

At this point, there's no guarantee Garho could be reached before daybreak.

You can eat, clean up, and take a Long Rest now.

Will you be continuing on to Hazard in the morning, or do you have other plans or further business here?
May 11, 2018 6:07 pm
Our plan was to head to Hazard first, and at least warn the Heirophant about the nature of the Sphere. Or did we want to take a run at recovering the Sphere itself?
May 11, 2018 7:18 pm
In case anybody missed it, be sure to check out the Bload Sourcebook that was posted to the plot notes thread!
May 12, 2018 9:49 pm
"We could find the sphere, stop the cult, and save all of Bload, and no one would believe us. We'd better make sure we get some "proof" at the end of all this; I want my riches and glory!" Leth remarks quietly to his companions with a slight grin.
load next

Thread locked