Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
May 14, 2018 2:40 pm
"If you do your heroism in the dark, with no one else to witness, are you still a hero?" Domarc asks.
May 14, 2018 2:59 pm
After a pause, Domarc continues: "Which makes me think. At this time, we are the only ones - with the possible exception of the Pointy Hat gang - who know the nature of the Sphere and a possible location for it. While part of me thinks we should rush to grab the Sphere and destroy it, perhaps we should carry on to Hazard and and least let some others know, should our heroism end in disaster and our story go untold."
May 14, 2018 4:08 pm
OK, moving forward!

With the village of Bray having little to offer in the way of rewards and the party having absolutely nothing to offer in the way of proof that the black beast has been defeated, the party opts to get some sleep and continue on to Hazard in the morning.

The next two days pass without incident. The weather is clear and the party makes good time on the road. They spend one night at a pig farm, and the next night at an inn run by a woman with a somewhat obsessive devotion to Semla, who prays loudly and extensively for the party's safety upon their departure.

Midway through the third day, the party comes across an oxcart stopped on the roadside. The ox is attached to a large covered wagon with a broken wheel. Two men seem to be in the process of trying to fix the wheel while two other men and three women stand nearby, watching. A grotesque grinning mask is painted on the side of the wagon. One of the women is singing a repetitive, nonsensical song. She stops as the party approaches, and all of the people standing to the side watch the party warily as they approach. The two men crouched down by the wagon, oblivious, continue bickering and fussing with the wheel.
May 14, 2018 4:30 pm
"Ho there, fellow travellers. Do you need a hand with the wheel?" Asks Felor, trying to seem friendly.
May 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Zangua returns the favor, watching the group warily as he nears. He doesn't slow his gait.
May 14, 2018 4:39 pm
I'm OK with heading to Hazard, but I think we should be very careful about who we talk to. Depending on the politics of the whole Martjan thing, we might not be welcomed with open arms.

Does the mask look like the symbol of any traveling troupes Mordred knows about?
May 14, 2018 4:47 pm
The men at the wheel look up. This is a fairly diverse group of people: one woman is tall and blonde, one dark-haired and olive-skinned, the third short and fat. One of the men down by the wheel is tall and broad-shouldered with a gray beard, the other slim, handsome, and brown-haired. One of the men standing and watching is short, stout, and curly-haired, with a trimmed and oiled black beard, and the other is young, red-haired and freckled.

Mordred doesn't recognize the mask, but it does look like the sigil of an actor's troupe.

"Ho, sellsword," the man with the gray beard replies. "Have you nails? We seem not to have restocked when we left Hazard." He casts a dirty look at the man with the black beard.
May 14, 2018 4:52 pm
Do I have any in my Thieves' Tools? Or I've got pitons, are they small enough for wheel repair purposes?

If so, Mordred will produce them with a subtle flourish.
Last edited May 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Rolls

Sleight of Hand - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

May 14, 2018 5:04 pm
The black-bearded man nods appraisingly as Mordred produces several pitons seemingly out of nowhere. "Cleverly done, devilkin. I noticed your misdirect, but my eye is well-attuned to such things." He reaches up to take one and holds it out for the others to see.

"Too thick," the gray-bearded man says. "It'll just split the wood further."

"We need a new wheel entirely," the fat woman says. "Any fix will just break again before we're halfway to Mosstower."

With a flick of the wrist, the black-bearded man makes the piton disappear. He then hands it back to Mordred with his other hand.
May 14, 2018 5:09 pm
Mordred notes his skill in passing a small object behind his back. "Clever indeed. Your Milliner's Transfer is flawless. What is the name of your troupe? Where are you headed and where have you been? We've been in the wilderness for a while, and we'd love news of Hazard, if you've come that way."
Last edited May 14, 2018 5:09 pm
May 14, 2018 5:14 pm
Domarc slows and smiles pleasantly at the group, grinning openly at the sleight of hand on display.

"It is mid-day," he says. "What do we say to having some lunch while we figure out how to get your wheel turning again and share news of the road."

We have some rations in the group stash, and a hammer, though no nails.

Is Mosstower in our direction of travel? I seem to recall it is, but I might be wrong.
Last edited May 14, 2018 5:14 pm
May 14, 2018 5:30 pm
Zangua slows as the others stop to help. "Wonderful," he says, though his expression and tone clearly indicate he doesn't believe so.
May 14, 2018 6:22 pm
Mosstower was maybe a day's travel from Bray, the village the black beast was menacing. It's not on the river road, so you didn't pass through it.

"We are the Most Unready Players, and my name is Lutchi," the black-bearded man says, giving a little theatrical bow. "We hail from Gurmar. We've performed for audiences in Hazard, Molta, Banwod, Drat, Norholen..."

"We're on our way to Mosstower, since we left too late for the Festival of the Bridegroom," the blonde woman says.

"Those extra days in Hazard were more profitable than the festival would have been," Lutchi says. "My wife, Thalanora," he adds, gesturing back at her. "Hazard loves a good satire, and after the latest scandal...I would say the play very nearly wrote itself, but I suppose I deserve a little of the credit. I believe I managed to fit in every salacious rumor. It was delicious." He kisses his fingers.

"Lunch with us if you like, we won't be going anywhere for a while," the gray-bearded man says testily. "One of us should go on ahead to the next village to buy a new wheel."
May 14, 2018 6:42 pm
"The scandal?" Domarc says, eagerly. "Would that be the one about the Heirophant and his lover? I've heard some such about it, but not all of the details. Something about a military disaster?"

Domarc pulls out some of the rations the group has, and makes to share them around.

We're traveling in opposite directions, then. How far is it to the next town?

Also, anyone have the mending cantrip? Maybe it would work.
May 14, 2018 6:46 pm
Zangua waits patiently on the side. He acts as a lookout along the road while the others eat and converse.
May 14, 2018 7:55 pm
You're a few hours between villages in either direction.

"Yes, yes," Lutchi says. "Oh, where to begin, and who knows how much of it is even true. Apparently, the Hierophant has been in a love triangle for some time with Lord Gahmez and a rich Mezian widow. One night, the Gahmez mansion burns down while the widow is there. Everyone in the city seems to believe that a pair of flying, shapeshifting warlocks are responsible, and that they kidnapped the widow. Then, many days later, word reaches the city that an entire cohort of soldiers has gone missing. The Hierophant sent them to march on the warlocks' castle to rescue his lover."

"I play the Hierophant," the red-haired man interjects.

"Yes, and the Hierophant did this without alerting the military commanders or the lords of the noble houses. Next, people are saying that one of the warlocks transformed into a dragon and slaughtered the cohort when they reached the castle. Then, rumor has it that the Hierophant himself hired the warlocks to kidnap his lover and ruin Lord Gahmez, but they kept her for themselves either because the widow seduced them, or because the Hierophant wouldn't pay up."

"They're going to hang him," the fat woman says matter-of-factly. The red-haired man immediately pantomimes being strung up by the neck, tilting his head to the side and sticking his tongue out as he yanks upward on an imaginary rope. "It's only a shared pretense that props up their strange little charade of a government anyway. Hazard will have a king again before the year is out, and it will be one of the Cronim. Mark my words."

"The Mezian faction will never allow that," the gray-bearded man mutters.

Lutchi shrugs. "Who can sort it all out? All I care about is that the story has sex, death, a corrupt head of state -- all of the most cherished elements of a good narrative. The audiences loved our play."

"And the time to tour it is now, while rumors are spreading and the country folk hunger for fresh news," the gray-bearded man says. "I suppose it falls to me to get the new wagon wheel." He grabs a backpack and a walking stick out of the back of the wagon, then gets down to pry off the broken wheel. "If this lot doesn't rob us, you might want to pay them to guard the wagon until I return. I doubt I'll be back before nightfall."
May 15, 2018 9:26 am
nubs says:
Also, anyone have the mending cantrip? Maybe it would work.
No helpful magic here.
May 15, 2018 11:30 am
After complementing the players on the plot of their masterpiece and talking a little shop, Mordred takes the party aside to discuss their next move.

"I believe we should bypass Hazard and head directly for Sthombo to try and beat the Six-Pronged Crown to the Sphere. We don't need to get wrapped up in their political infighting. I must admit, I am curious about what is inside that mastaba, so if we want to try and infiltrate it under cover of darkness, I can support that, but I don't think we should knock on the gates of the city and announce our presence."
May 15, 2018 11:43 am
"Aye, I agree. If we can destroy the sphere - or render it useless - then we can deal with the werldly-villains after the devilish threat is gone. And what of these fellows?" Felor makes a small nod back at the travelling players, "Shall we leave them to their repairs?"
May 15, 2018 4:11 pm
"Our main source of support in Hazard sounds to be weakened," Domarc says. "I fear we have no friends wherever we go. If we go for the Sphere and fail, though, Hazard has no warning of what is coming. Our pledge to the Heirophant was to share what we learned to help defend Hazard; ignorance is their enemy as much as the plots of the pointy hats."

He shrugs. "My gut has always told me to go for the Sphere, but my head tells me to seek information and share it. I no longer no the right path, except perhaps to help these travelers if we can."
load next

Thread locked