Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
May 16, 2018 8:45 pm
Zangua looks at Domarc. "Really? That was awful."
May 16, 2018 8:58 pm
The room is fairly crowded, and Domarc doesn't see anyone paying particular attention to your table.
May 17, 2018 11:33 am
"Ice... it was ice devils who The Crown are conspiring to bring to Hazard. Is this a warning?"
May 17, 2018 11:42 am
The other time we got ice it was a vendor in Hazard(?) selling "healing ice", right?

"Is it melting, Zangua?" Mordred whispers.
Last edited May 17, 2018 11:42 am
May 17, 2018 12:26 pm
I think so, yeah. Outside the temples. Did Zangua accidentally sign up for a monthly ice delivery subscription? You gotta read all the small print!
May 17, 2018 3:51 pm
The ice is very cold. It doesn't seem to have started melting yet.
May 17, 2018 4:24 pm
Zangua picks up the ice using the wrapping, and gives it a sniff. "I sorta forgot about this. Gave me some weird dreams, too.

"Anyone else want to give it a go?"
OOC:
I can't remember which thread had the dream. One of the few times I wish we had a search feature.
May 17, 2018 4:40 pm
Beginning of chapter five. I wish there was a search feature almost every day...
May 17, 2018 4:45 pm
"I think we should leave it to melt," Domarc says. "Let it learn to be water. But it raises many questions - how do they know we are here? Are they tracking us somehow, still?"

"Tell us of your dream, Zangua."
May 17, 2018 4:59 pm
Zangua says, "Which one? The one about the giant fish and the bearded barmaid?"
May 17, 2018 5:04 pm
"The one the ice gave you, though I am intrigued by the other," Domarc says.

Here is a link to the dream post, so Zangua doesn't have to go over it again - though I'm interested in his interpretation
May 17, 2018 5:10 pm
"I don't remember much," says Zangua. "Just that it was really cold, and someone I couldn't see was speaking to me, saying I was his attendant and I needed to bring him a fourth of something. Except I didn't have anything in my hands, and... I don't even remember if I had any clothes on, too."
May 17, 2018 8:18 pm
Do you guys want to do any investigation related to the ice gift, or will you be heading to bed and resuming your journey?
May 18, 2018 11:20 am
Mordred tries to approach the serving girl without attracting attention and ask her for a description of the man, and to find out exactly what he asked her to do.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

May 18, 2018 3:14 pm
"Gentlemen, I suggest this may change things and I think we should retire somewhere more private to talk when Mordred returns."

If the group is agreeable, let's retire to one of the rooms where I can cast Leomund's Tiny Hut
May 18, 2018 3:55 pm
The serving girl has some difficulty recalling the details of how the man looked and exactly what he said, and she seems somewhat confused and distressed by the fact that she can't clearly remember something that happened only moments ago.

What she can tell Mordred is that a young man in dark clothing approached her near the kitchen as she was clearing your dishes. He gave her the bundle and asked her to give it to Zangua. She can't recall if he pointed Zangua out or described him. She doesn't see the man in the common room any more, but from the way she's acting, Mordred isn't sure she'd recognize him if she did.

Afterward, the party gathers in their room upstairs.

Domarc has conjured a SCIF in which you may all confer securely.
May 18, 2018 4:53 pm
The light dims as Domarc finishes casting. He turns to the group. "We can speak freely in here, I think."

"I am greatly concerned by the fact that various groups seem to be able to find us pretty much at will," Domarc says. "I will assume the worst case of our situation.". He begins to tick off his fingers:

"First, the ice is related in some way to the glacier we have learned about, where these devils - and possibly something worse - resides. This means that the ice is something the Six Pointed Crown is using, maybe to recruit people. Second, the fact that they found Zangua here means that they are still, somehow, able to track us and know where we are going - and possibly, even what we plan. Third, we have no idea how they are doing that, or how to stop them. Fourth, if the Crown is following us, our present course of action will lead them to the Sphere - if Martjan has not already given up the location." He pauses.

"Fifth, and unrelated to the above, the Heirophant was about the only friend we had in Hazard. His position is badly weakened. He may not be able to help us. We may not be able to help him. But - if we leave now, we may come back to a city where we are indeed friendless."

He looks around at everyone. "I know not what to do with any of this, but I felt I should lay it out to everyone. Whatever our next move, we should do it with some thought about where we step and how we may be able to prepare."
May 21, 2018 3:03 am
OOC:
We have clearly been gifted a NeverMeltIce. It'll boost our ice-type moves by 10%!

Also. I had completely forgotten about that dream. Seems extremely important now.
"I agree. The Crown is always one step ahead of us, somehow. I fear any delays on our part only gives them a larger lead. And if we go find our lost prize, and in the process lead them to it... well, at least we'll be there as well, and that might give us a chance to stop them. As for Hazard, I fear our bridges may be burned there already, but we may need to return at some point - we know the Crown has plans at the shrine of Culsu. It's a touch call." Leth thinks for a moment. "Domarc, you know hazard well and are usually capable of talking your way out of trouble. Perhaps you could enter the city for a day and see what's really going on? I'm loathe to split up our group; any one of us going out alone is a dangerous prospect, but you don't need to stay long; just long enough to get the word around town, speak to the Heirophant if you can, and then get out of there. It's an idea, anyway."
May 21, 2018 10:21 am
OOC:
Quote:
I had completely forgotten about that dream.
Dreams are like that!
Felor mulls over the others comments. "I do not profess to know why mystery visitors send us chunks of strange ice, or the meaning of Zangua's dreams... But if the Crown wanted us dead, and possessed the ability to find us and vanish while blurring onlookers' memories, would they not just do the deed? What is to be gained by cryptic gifts of ice?" Felor shakes his head. "I agree with Leth - we should warn Hazard of what we've learned, but finding and destroying the sphere should be our priority."
May 21, 2018 11:17 am
"I think Leth's idea is a good one, though I hate the idea of any of us going alone. Perhaps I can follow Domarc at a distance, staying in the shadows. That way if something happens to him, I can assist, or at the very least I can run and alert the rest of the group."
load next

Thread locked